Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
What kind of driving do you want, what digital-keyboard input only steering in a PC game with vehicles do you think is good?

Because this has been improved like ten times over and is as close to zero latency driving input as the game can handle. It has never been this responsive - but it adds a shitload of jerkiness, and sliding and drifting like never ever before. Even though it is more responsive than ever.

And what did they change it for?

I like the current GTA4 PC driving model because it is a good mix of realism and fun game physics. I liked the previous APB driving model for the same reasons. This one feels like a catering to the masses.

(What I said about the current APB driving model applies to all vehicles in it, haven't tried the Espacio since before the change though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

Can someone invite MCDubya to Something Lawful?

keeb
Sep 24, 2003
The Shocker

keeb posted:

Anyone have any clue why this game will randomly stutter for a split second when I'm playing it? The sound glitches and it sounds almost like that noise you hear right before your computer blue screen/crashes, but then it doesn't and I can continue to play normally. It happens pretty frequently, like every 3-5 minutes, and is very noticeable and annoying. I've checked all my drivers, they seem up to date, and it doesn't happen in other video games.

It's weird because this computer is basically brand new, and has no other issues playing games.
Still trying to figure out how to solve this issue, I should note I use an onboard realtek sound card.
Also is there some sort of FPS limiter in this game? On highest settings I get 62 FPS, on the lowest settings, I still get 62 FPS.

keeb fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 28, 2011

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

keeb posted:

Still trying to figure out how to solve this issue, I should note I use an onboard realtek sound card.
Also is there some sort of FPS limiter in this game? On highest settings I get 62 FPS, on the lowest settings, I still get 62 FPS.

Yes, the game is limited to 62 FPS by default.

There is a parameter called MaxSmoothedFrameRate located in apb reloaded\APBGame\Config\APBEngine.ini

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

How much memory are you throwing at it? I have all kinds of trouble when it starts hitting the paging file.

keeb
Sep 24, 2003
The Shocker
8GB memory although it seems APB cannot utilize it anyway. It dumps the memory cache at around 2500.

A google search provided a 7 month old thread on their support forums 3 pages long with other people that are experiencing the same issue. So I think unless that guy comes up with a fix I am stuck with it.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

keeb posted:

8GB memory although it seems APB cannot utilize it anyway. It dumps the memory cache at around 2500.

A google search provided a 7 month old thread on their support forums 3 pages long with other people that are experiencing the same issue. So I think unless that guy comes up with a fix I am stuck with it.

8gb of ram works well for me. Lessthanthree posted some edited ini files and I think one setting was for higher memory. You might want to try that, can't think of what it is right now.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.
Oh, MrLonghair's Vaquero, you so silly.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
It behaved more realistically on my screen :o

Also it took until *now* for me to encounter hackers. More days like this please! Amazing amount of decent fresh blood on the field, lots of life

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

keeb posted:

Had the same problem and this worked for me and someone else I showed it to:
Proven fix for stuttering

quote:

Open regedit. This can be done by typing in regedit by typing in the search bar.

Browse to THIS section:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile

Open up the registry setting for the network performance throttling thingamajig.

Change it to hexadecimal FFFFFFFF (f 8 times)

Save, restart.

Regarding framerate, you have v-sync unchecked? I've not ever seen more that 60, so it may be limited somewhere else.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ack! posted:

Regarding framerate, you have v-sync unchecked? I've not ever seen more that 60, so it may be limited somewhere else.

I already answered the framerate question.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
ok im sold. now one of you faglords get online and clan me

keeb
Sep 24, 2003
The Shocker

mpyro posted:

8gb of ram works well for me. Lessthanthree posted some edited ini files and I think one setting was for higher memory. You might want to try that, can't think of what it is right now.

Tried it, the game still dumps the memory cache at 2.3gb. Which is when the stuttering will occur. It seems to happen a lot for people using newer nvidia cards and even a couple radeon cards. Realtek onboard sound cards are another common denominator.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

ok im sold. now one of you faglords get online and clan me

laughed way to hard at your car...

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~

wretched_gavek posted:

laughed way to hard at your car...

It's true, that car is great.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Finish making Everybody Needs a 303 theme, reach for the Save button, random district disconnect. What up with Patriot today? I was lucky I managed to save what I made of Prodigy's One Love.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

^^^ That's why I save really often while designing things in APB. I'm paranoid I guess, but it does work out well in those situations!

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Captain Swing posted:

Oh, MrLonghair's Vaquero, you so silly.

It won't be held back by the laws of physics.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.

Krowley posted:

It won't be held back by the laws of physics.

Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I just started playing this last night and it seems like a lot of fun. I'm not playing right now because with 2 other people on a 1.5Mbps connection I'd get poo poo speeds, but could someone invite HexenRitter to Grand Theft Awful? Kthx

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

CitrusFrog posted:

I just started playing this last night and it seems like a lot of fun. I'm not playing right now because with 2 other people on a 1.5Mbps connection I'd get poo poo speeds, but could someone invite HexenRitter to Grand Theft Awful? Kthx

Sure, but you'll be pretty lonely. :smith:

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

CitrusFrog posted:

Join us on the enforcer side. There are a lot more playing. I find pubbie groups are so lovely, and playing with the clan is much more fun.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
:qq: no really the game is biased AGAINST crims!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

"enforcers get an entire part for every car that criminals do not get, and criminals do not get an equivalent.

That's right, I'm talking about sirens. No it's not a game breaking unfairness, but it's still not fair."

Goddamn. What kind of pampering childhood did these people go through.

They should bring back car chases though, because I made it a habit to out-drive enforcers by using dump trucks and other slow pieces of poo poo.

And remove instagib-through-walls weapons from the game permanently, that bullshit doesn't belong.

Wouldn't be surprised if that thread leads to more enforcer loving and crim rimjobbing by K2, LTL is already impossible to use unless you get a two second drop on somebody

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 29, 2011

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Official forums are the worst kind of forums. The level of entitlement and stupidity is unbelievable.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

After playing as both, I do find the game crim sided. Some people will never admit it, but it is there.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Uh, yeah, scratch the idea of making a Samba De Janeiro theme

(did make 3 AM Eternal by the KLF though)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 29, 2011

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Am I playing this right?

Also I've gained a following:

Oglogoth fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 29, 2011

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Demonlord posted:

Also I've gained a following:

Oh really.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's a dude.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Inzombiac posted:

That's a dude. TOONCES!

Prove it.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

That's a dude.

Isnt that the goon that got a sex change a few years ago?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Wrapped up my lengthy playsession by facing a guy who shot his JG at NFAS speed.

What's next, speedhacks start working on vehicles too?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Started playing this about a week ago. I had no idea you guys still play. I'm on Joker, so if anyone in Something Lawful wants to hit me up for some games, I play like all the time these days. I made my own little clan (MAD Squad) that has only me in it, so I won't be heartbroken if I have to jump ship to Something Lawful.

Edit: Should probably mention that my character name is the same as my Forum name, UnsubRedun

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 29, 2011

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

MrLonghair posted:

(did make 3 AM Eternal by the KLF though)

That song is amazing and I'm a big KLF fan. That image is from something else, right? I ask because my 'pattern' names are all messed up and renaming doesn't seem to work. They all say 'pattern' not 'pattern 1', 'pattern 2' etc which gets frustrating with lots of different parts...

I'm slowly figuring out the music stuff and managed to make this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcb-SB5lAxE

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Inzombiac posted:

That's a dude.

That's Neko. He's literally my favourite person.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

ack! posted:

That song is amazing and I'm a big KLF fan. That image is from something else, right? I ask because my 'pattern' names are all messed up and renaming doesn't seem to work. They all say 'pattern' not 'pattern 1', 'pattern 2' etc which gets frustrating with lots of different parts...

I'm slowly figuring out the music stuff and managed to make this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcb-SB5lAxE

Yeah, it's part of the drum track to Samba De Janeiro. I need far more instrument tracks to improvise the smallest amount of necessary percussion for it, and then to get close to decent brass instruments, and then to make up for poorly written anti-griefer tune code that outright ruins themes when they're actually heard in-action (victory/death rather than listening to it on the market or in the inventory).

And people aren't even bidding on my $999 Gangstas Paradise tracks that normally went for ten times that.

And I'm not satisfied with the 3AM Eternal I made beacuse I need more tracks to really make it shine, but even then, the anti-grief theme crap ruins it after the initial lead-in.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

MrLonghair posted:

Wrapped up my lengthy playsession by facing a guy who shot his JG at NFAS speed.

What's next, speedhacks start working on vehicles too?

holy poo poo your entire post history in this thread is crying about hacks

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

holy poo poo your entire post history in this thread is crying about hacks
lol.

I found something really fun to do lastnight: Reroll a character and name it lIlIlIlIllIlIllI and faceroll most golds and still decimate any silver/bronzes leads to an unprecedented amount of hackusations.

One particular round I went 39:5 on fight club where the next most kills was 20 lead to quite a bit of pissing and moaning in district chat.

People have the most insane egos in this game and anyone that beats them with an unslotted weapon and/or no character mods MUST BE CHEATING.

Also switched over to the packer vaquero since I can't drive my vegas over the railroad tracks without eating poo poo and I must say I'm really enjoying it. Can typically get at least 5 vehicle kills a round just because the thing is so drat maneuverable and hard to dodge. The only downside is I will get some instances where 5 criminals will come out of the woodworks and focus fire me like a convoy in Mogadishu.

Has anyone heard anything about what killing an elf yielded? I never saw any when I scanned districts so I'm curious what they got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Crawl into a pipe in Baylan Shipping, sit there and mow people down as they pass trying to figure out where you are, get hackused, rock at life.

Close-combat noscope HVR a bunch of fools, get nothing :smith:

• Locked thread