Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

OneEightHundred posted:

It's not really that simple. "Turn the other cheek" is a completely unreasonable request to begin with and only really practicable if you think the world is going to end very soon.

Um, what about Henry David Thoreau, Gandhi, MLK jr., and all those non-violent protestors from the Civil Rights era?

Glitterbomber posted:

To be fair, Takei could maybe recruit me to join the KKK if he tried, so maybe they're trying to warn us about his magic mind control powers?

Now that I think about it, George Takei could get me to do pretty much anything, so you're probably on to something there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Parahexavoctal posted:

They need recruiters?

Indeed, they do. It's like pyramid marketing. If you recruit enough, Melissa Etheridge gives you a free toaster.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bruce Leroy posted:

Now that I think about it, George Takei could get me to do pretty much anything, so you're probably on to something there.

Someone with a Conservapedia account seriously try to make this a thing.

George Takei, much like Barrack Hussein Obama, has magic mind control powers to convert us.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
They seriously do think that homosexuality only "spreads" from gay people though, and that if every gay person in the world stopped being gay and everyone stopped talking about gayness then nobody would be gay ever again because it wouldn't occur to anyone.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

GrumpyDoctor posted:

They seriously do think that homosexuality only "spreads" from gay people though, and that if every gay person in the world stopped being gay and everyone stopped talking about gayness then nobody would be gay ever again because it wouldn't occur to anyone.
Replace "homosexuality" with "being sexually adventurous" and this would be more accurate.

Particularly because they think homosexuality IS being sexually adventurous.

Metalix
Nov 3, 2011

OneEightHundred posted:

Replace "homosexuality" with "being sexually adventurous" and this would be more accurate.

Particularly because they think homosexuality IS being sexually adventurous.

And these people have access to the internet!? Whoo boy. Anybody want to send them links to some of the more extreme stuff out there? I kinda want to see the reactions to that.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Metalix posted:

And these people have access to the internet!? Whoo boy. Anybody want to send them links to some of the more extreme stuff out there? I kinda want to see the reactions to that.
Someone link these guys to some Max Hardcore. You know, for science.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Metalix posted:

I've studied hardcore confurvative fundies before. They're just as virulently opposed to homosexuality and sexual deviance as normal conservatives. They constantly :argh: over how the DEGENERATES and PERVERTS have taken over the furry fandom. The best are the ones who were technically born after that had already mostly happened. :v:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

The Rokstar posted:

Someone link these guys to some Max Hardcore. You know, for science.

Brutal misogyny where the woman doesn't enjoy sex is not sexually adventurous for most of them. If anything it might give some of the more MRA types more ideas.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dr Christmas posted:

And yet, their argument against UHC is "God wants us to give out of the goodness of our hearts, not have the government force us to.

By the way, here's why we shouldn't give those lazy welfare queens medicine out of the goodness of our hearts..."

Also, a healthy dose of American Exceptionalism. By golly, we're just DIFFERENT! We can't be like Europe what with their :airquote: low crime rates :airquote: and their :airquote: higher quality of life :airquote:. We are rugged individualists; we do things OUR way and any reasonable person can't possibly expect us to give a poo poo about our fellow Americans! That's just crazy talk!

This is what conservatives actually believe and yes, it's viewed as a positive thing.

I laughed and laughed at the disfigured veteran in the most recent Perry ad that says "I BELIEVE IN AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM. I'VE SEEN IT!". Yeah, you disgusting freak, you've seen in all right. You live in the only country on earth that will send you off to get your face burnt/blown off and then scream at you for being a lazy parasite for being too sick/hosed up to hold a job and having to rely on welfare to barely scrape by afterwards. At least your team hates gays and black people as much as you do! gently caress this country.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

GrumpyDoctor posted:

I've always wondered about this whole notion of "Ok, if we remove this very specific list of elements of society/culture, our problems will go away." Let's say they get their way, like with evolution for example. Poof, evolution is struck from the (school)books. What happens when, contrary to their expectations, there is no effect? Would they just move on to the next strawman, and keep burning strawmen until modern society is choked with smoke and fire?

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."

Tupperwarez posted:

I've always wondered about this whole notion of "Ok, if we remove this very specific list of elements of society/culture, our problems will go away." Let's say they get their way, like with evolution for example. Poof, evolution is struck from the (school)books. What happens when, contrary to their expectations, there is no effect? Would they just move on to the next strawman, and keep burning strawmen until modern society is choked with smoke and fire?

Probably. And they'd still manage to convince themselves that it was a positive change for society.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Bruce Leroy posted:

Um, what about Henry David Thoreau, Gandhi, MLK jr., and all those non-violent protestors from the Civil Rights era?

The Indian National Army? The Black Panthers? Non-violence is good, but it was nowhere near the sole cause of Indian independence and the successes of the Civil Rights Movement.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Tupperwarez posted:

Probably, and then they'd decide there were yet more strawmen lurking deep in the shadows. It would, I expect, end with everybody in a big Mexican standoff, wondering who was loyal and who was a Commie Jew Reptilian Atheist Nazi.

Just rambling, but I read a story once, on a site which has since died. Two agents of the Space Nazi empire, perfect Aryans both of them, are sent out to track down the Jews which must, logically, still have agents in their empire, why else would it be failing so badly? They track the Jews through several other star Aryan nations, each of which began to die after expelling the Jews. Eventually, they track the Jews to an uninhabited planet, which has but one city on it, with an enormous statue and scientific apparatus, and one Jew in cryostasis. They wake him, and he explains that there are no Jews in this universe, saving him; the rest have slid between universes to another one, where they shall be safe from Nazis forevermore, and also he took a suicide pill. The two agents think about it, then one of them shoots the other, deciding his people weren't true Aryans, but were the cause of all the problems in the empire. Time for some new pogroms.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

darthbob88 posted:

Probably, and then they'd decide there were yet more strawmen lurking deep in the shadows. It would, I expect, end with everybody in a big Mexican standoff, wondering who was loyal and who was a Commie Jew Reptilian Atheist Nazi.

Just rambling, but I read a story once, on a site which has since died.

"After the Protocols", by Adam-Troy Castro.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Tupperwarez posted:

That is a good question and I honestly can't imagine the answer. I'd like to see it posed to Conservative, but I do know the (probable) answer to that.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tupperwarez posted:

Poof, evolution is struck from the (school)books. What happens when, contrary to their expectations, there is no effect?

They look around for completely unrelated things that have happened and blame them on whatever they're mad at. See, for example: Jerry Falwell blaming 9/11 (an event actually caused by American imperialism and meddling in other countries affairs) on "abortionists, feminists, evolutionists, homosexuals", etc. The irony is that the sort of people that "did 9/11" probably aren't too keen on "abortionists, feminists, evolutionists or homosexuals" themselves.

My favorite thing, speaking of which, is when conservatives try to rally liberals to the muslim hate bandwagon by saying "why don't you hate them, libs, they hate gay people and womens rights!" and it's like "uhh, so do you, idiot".

C.C.C.P. fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 28, 2011

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
They have *really* strange views on women...

Conservapedia article on Chivalry posted:

realizing that every young woman could be someone's future husband

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

SybilVimes posted:

It's not at all surprising coming from Phyllis Schlafly's son.

I've always been a bit perplexed that the Schlafly family doesn't seem to get the irony that Phyllis has made a career fighting feminism and women in the workforce while promoting women just staying at home. How do they overcome such blatant, rank hypocrisy?

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bruce Leroy posted:

It's not at all surprising coming from Phyllis Schlafly's son.

I've always been a bit perplexed that the Schlafly family doesn't seem to get the irony that Phyllis has made a career fighting feminism and women in the workforce while promoting women just staying at home. How do they overcome such blatant, rank hypocrisy?

To be fair, and I don't mean this as some sort of South Parkian "the answer is in the middle" thing, but it does happen on both sides. One of the most disgusting acts of hypocrisy that comes to mind is the founder of PETA, who is a diabetic, preaches that people shouldn't use animal products. She, herself, uses insulin derived from pigs. Her reasoning? It's totally okay because she has to live to fight the good fight against animal cruelty. :downs:

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I think you two have missed why that quote is strange.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

kissekatt posted:

I think you two have missed why that quote is strange.

Preemptive edit: :doh: I didn't even see it the first two times I read the post.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

C.C.C.P. posted:

To be fair, and I don't mean this as some sort of South Parkian "the answer is in the middle" thing, but it does happen on both sides. One of the most disgusting acts of hypocrisy that comes to mind is the founder of PETA, who is a diabetic, preaches that people shouldn't use animal products. She, herself, uses insulin derived from pigs. Her reasoning? It's totally okay because she has to live to fight the good fight against animal cruelty. :downs:

Yeah, I saw that on "Penn and Teller's Bullshit" too.

It's a similar kind of hypocrisy but I'm a little less critical of her for it because she could literally die without it. It's still one of the dumbest and hypocritical things I've ever seen, but I still don't think it's in the same league as what Phyllis "There's no such thing as spousal rape" Sclafly does.

Also, there is kind of a point and another "the answer is in the middle" thing with animal rights. Sure, those ALF people are literally terrorists and PETA is pretty dumb, but factory farming, vivisection, cosmetic testing on animals, etc. are awful and needs to be stopped.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

prefect posted:

Preemptive edit: :doh: I didn't even see it the first two times I read the post.

poo poo, I guess I just read it too fast.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SybilVimes posted:

I thought they hated transpeople. How about that.

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bruce Leroy posted:

It's a similar kind of hypocrisy but I'm a little less critical of her for it because she could literally die without it. It's still one of the dumbest and hypocritical things I've ever seen, but I still don't think it's in the same league as what Phyllis "There's no such thing as spousal rape" Sclafly does.

Well, that's kinda the point. SHE could die without it, so of course SHE takes it. But she still tells other people (who would also die without it) they shouldn't and that it's unethical and wrong to use medications derived from animals or tested on animals or anything animal-related at all. But of course, in her own mind, she is above those rules because she thinks her message is sooooooo important to the animal rights movement that it's worth breaking a few eggs to make an omelet (pun fully intended). (As an aside, Ingrid whateverhernameis is literally First World Problems personified. There was some interview she did where she bemoaned the fact that she :qq: had to stop vacationing in poorer countries :qq: because the way the locals treated animals - as beasts of burden and food, no doubt - enraged her sooooo much that she'd spend all her time yelling at people and "rescuing" their animals instead of relaxing. Yeah, those stupid ignorant savages. How dare they live in a developing nation and not have the luxury of bourgeoisie veganism!) I wonder if she ever got so worked up while yelling at a mexican hog farmer that she forgot to take her pig insulin?

To bring this back to the topic at hand, it's probably the same way Phyllis views herself. Sure, women shouldn't work but she just has to be out there to get the message out so it's totally justifiable, in her own mind, if she doesn't follow her own rules.

Either that, or it's some kind of conscious, Newt Gingrichian "people should do as I do, not do as I say" craziness where she thinks the "rules", as she would have them, just simply don't apply to her which is also entirely possible since conservatives with authoritarian, hierarchical views of the world absolutely think that different rules should apply to different groups of people.

C.C.C.P. fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 28, 2011

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

C.C.C.P. posted:

Well, that's kinda the point. SHE could die without it, so of course SHE takes it. But she still tells other people (who would also die without it) they shouldn't and that it's unethical and wrong to use medications derived from animals or tested on animals or anything animal-related at all. But of course, in her own mind, she is above those rules because she thinks her message is sooooooo important to the animal rights movement that it's worth breaking a few eggs to make an omelet (pun fully intended). (As an aside, Ingrid whateverhernameis is literally First World Problems personified. There was some interview she did where she bemoaned the fact that she :qq: had to stop vacationing in poorer countries :qq: because the way the locals treated animals - as beasts of burden and food, no doubt - enraged her sooooo much that she'd spend all her time yelling at people and "rescuing" their animals instead of relaxing. Yeah, those stupid ignorant savages. How dare they live in a developing nation and not have the luxury of bourgeoisie veganism!) I wonder if she ever got so worked up while yelling at a mexican hog farmer that she forgot to take her pig insulin?

Good points, though it's not Ingrid Newkirk who is diabetic, it's one of the other executives/founders.

C.C.C.P. posted:

To bring this back to the topic at hand, it's probably the same way Phyllis views herself. Sure, women shouldn't work but she just has to be out there to get the message out so it's totally justifiable, in her own mind, if she doesn't follow her own rules.

Either that, or it's some kind of conscious, Newt Gingrichian "people should do as I do, not do as I say" craziness where she thinks the "rules", as she would have them, just simply don't apply to her which is also entirely possible since conservatives with authoritarian, hierarchical views of the world absolutely think that different rules should apply to different groups of people.

Yeah, that's what I've heard from other people with whom I've discussed this, but either way (justified to stop dirty feminists or Do As I Say, Not As I Do), it's still amazing that the Schlaflys can perpetuate this hypocrisy for literally decades with no outward stress or trouble.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I've studied hardcore confurvative fundies before. They're just as virulently opposed to homosexuality and sexual deviance as normal conservatives. They constantly :argh: over how the DEGENERATES and PERVERTS have taken over the furry fandom. The best are the ones who were technically born after that had already mostly happened. :v:

These people need to have a documentary done about them, stat.

Bruce Leroy posted:

truth in the middle

I don't think it's really so much about the truth being in the actual middle of the spectrum, as it is about the truth actually often being or arising from a conglomeration of the different points that have been raised, or considerations that have been brought to the table, if that makes sense.

"gently caress the chimpanzees; their tears are delicious," and "Refuse your insulin; die for the animals" are extreme views because they propose a black-and-white, absolute, don't-trouble-me-with-details-or-outliers, yes-we-ALWAYS-have-an-app-for-that approach to life, the universe, and everything.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Bruce Leroy posted:

Yeah, that's what I've heard from other people with whom I've discussed this, but either way (justified to stop dirty feminists or Do As I Say, Not As I Do), it's still amazing that the Schlaflys can perpetuate this hypocrisy for literally decades with no outward stress or trouble.

The human mind is a powerful thing. We have trouble comprehending their thoughts because we have relatively normal thoughts; they have absolutely zero problems thinking the way that do, but they have trouble trying to imagine how we think. In their own minds, their thoughts are 100% rational and normal, and why can't those drat dirty liberals understand that?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Tartarus Sauce posted:

These people need to have a documentary done about them, stat.

They're honestly so pathetic and lonely that it's kinda sad. They refuse to associate with the furries who aren't sexually puritan (which is like 95-99 percent of them), and they're detested by other fundies for being part of a deviant outgroup. I wouldn't be surprised if there was one or two on Conservapedia, desperately hoping Schlafly doesn't decide to randomly google their username some day.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

The human mind is a powerful thing. We have trouble comprehending their thoughts because we have relatively normal thoughts; they have absolutely zero problems thinking the way that do, but they have trouble trying to imagine how we think. In their own minds, their thoughts are 100% rational and normal, and why can't those drat dirty liberals understand that?

I'm usually pretty good at putting myself in other people's mental perspectives, but every time I do that for Andy, any of the other Schalflys, Conservative, etc., I feel like an rear end in a top hat and want to go see a psychiatrist.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

They're honestly so pathetic and lonely that it's kinda sad. They refuse to associate with the furries who aren't sexually puritan (which is like 95-99 percent of them), and they're detested by other fundies for being part of a deviant outgroup. I wouldn't be surprised if there was one or two on Conservapedia, desperately hoping Schlafly doesn't decide to randomly google their username some day.

You'd think that people in an outgroup would have more empathy for other outgroups, but it's probably a case of "yeah, people may look down on us, but we're really not that bad. Just look at those people."

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Bruce Leroy posted:

You'd think that people in an outgroup would have more empathy for other outgroups, but it's probably a case of "yeah, people may look down on us, but we're really not that bad. Just look at those people."

They don't even do that. They try to justify their whole thing, claiming that since it's all puritan, there's nothing wrong with it. They don't seem to grasp that the reason furries are so hated isn't the weird sex stuff, it's the drama, victimization complexes, and attention-mongering stupidity that makes them despised. All of which the fundy furs do just as much.

... Well, at least that's how I feel.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
For a few days they linked to this "amazing video" a 13 year old kid made for the question evolution campaign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv-zhTppvow

I thought maybe Conservative was being nice to the kid, but then they link over to the QE blog on the main page now with choice quotes such as:

http://questionevolution.blogspot.com/2011/12/13-year-old-creationist-cecil-b-demille.html

quote:

13-year old creationist Cecil B. DeMille helps part the sea of evolutionary nonsense and paves the way for the 2012 triumph of the Question evolution! campaign

After the 13-year old member of our Question evolution! campaign group created the masterpiece Stopping atheism in its tracks no doubt many atheists and evolutionists were extremely jealous because they could not create such a good video. After all, evolutionism doesn't give you much to work with when it comes to making good videos which defend evolutionary belief.

Well our young "Cecil B. DeMille of biblical creation belief" has done it again! Grab your popcorn and watch this wonderful YouTube video:

Our Question Evolution! Campaign group's goal for 2012

The sound track for his video makes you want to dance ahead of time as far as the 2012 Question evolution! campaign's triumph over evolutionary pseudoscience.

With a bonus new video! Honestly, if this is how they feel and those are truly the words they use to describe the videos, my brain goes straight to thinking that they have to be parody, then just moves on to feeling bad for them because I know that it isn't.

I hope the kid is a troll at least.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
It's gotta be that this 13 year old (if he even exists... he doesn't appear on camera in either video) is Conservative/Shockofgod's son or nephew or something and they're just promoting him out of sheer nepotism. No one could be that genuinely enthusiastic about such a crappy video, right?

And who the hell names a kid "Cecil B. DeMille"? Odds are this kid isn't real.

e: I'm dumb. Of course they're just comparing him to the director of The 10 Commandments :downs:

Binowru fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 28, 2011

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Binowru posted:

And who the hell names a kid "Cecil B. DeMille"? Odds are this kid isn't real.
http://www.cecilbdemille.com/bio.html

I'm guessing this is a fake, or Daddy DeMille was just an rear end in a top hat.

Fake Edit: Cecil B DeMille made loads of biblical films, most notably Charlton Hestons "The Ten Commandments".

Wheeze
Jul 31, 2007

I think he was just comparing him to Cecil B DeMille, as in "a little Cecil B DeMille."

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Conservapidia posted:

If economics does not cause the eurozone to split, then politics and culture most certainly will.[6] Harsh times ahead for all of Europe.[7]
If only many European nations had listened to what the Bible has to say about the value of self-discipline, hard work and the avoidance of excessive debt, then Europe's upcoming harsh times could have been avoided.[8][9][10] Go to the ant, lazy Europeans; consider her ways and be wise; who having no guide, overseer, or ruler, provides her food in the summer and gathers her food in the harvest.

From their news section.
I don't think any of them have been to Europe og knows what is going on. And I don't thiink they like us :(

Also doesn't the ant have a Queen? so they probably don't know ants either

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Equester posted:

Also doesn't the ant have a Queen? so they probably don't know ants either
Calling an ant queen a "guide, overseer, or ruler" would not be especially accurate, either. It's not really an administrative position.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

Calling an ant queen a "guide, overseer, or ruler" would not be especially accurate, either. It's not really an administrative position.

I know, it was more of a joke... But then agian calling the Queen of Denmark, a guide overser or ruler would not be accurate at all either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Equester posted:

I know, it was more of a joke... But then agian calling the Queen of Denmark, a guide overser or ruler would not be accurate at all either
Did they do that? Because yeah, that'd be pretty dumb.

• Locked thread