Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Djarum posted:

So I just did a reload with the newest version of sn0wbreeze on 5.0.1 then jailbroke using Corona on Cydia and my iBooks seems to still be working fine.

Does it work after a reboot? Whatever sn0wbreeze was doing to iBooks was at the iBooty.exe level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Getting Error 10's when trying to custom restore my gsm iphone4 to 5.0.1 :(

edit: supposedly an issue with my antediluvian, months old copy of iTunes... let's see.

edit2: yeah, that seemed to be it :blush:

Nill fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 27, 2011

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Just updated to 5.0.1 and then installed cydia. No problems yet

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Man, I wanna be part of the hype! I still haven't gotten this stupid phone to go into DFU mode yet!!! :argh:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I have been running a jailbroken phone for a while which has been getting more and more sluggish as times go by due to all the poo poo I put on it; is it worth doing a factory restore and then installing the 5.01 and jailbreak on a 'fresh' device or just updating/re-jailbreaking on top of everything that is on there right now?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Now that I'm going back to jailbreak, I'm looking for improvements to Apple's notification feature. Are there any Cydia apps that add more functionality to it? Most importantly, I'm looking for my active notifications to ALWAYS stay on my lock screen. Why this option isn't already included in iOS makes absolutely no sense to me.

Revol fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 27, 2011

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ezrem posted:

Does it work after a reboot? Whatever sn0wbreeze was doing to iBooks was at the iBooty.exe level.

Just tried rebooting and it does break it. But if you reboot with iBooty it will fix it. So if you need to reboot your phone without a computer you will be SOL until you get home. Small price to pay.

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006
Intensely, it liberates with the heart which shines the fortress of thee ascent
Is there a replacement for Backgrounder that works with iOS 5? I haven't had any luck getting it to work, and I use Talkatone/Google Voice to receive calls from the States. So it has to be kept open reliably, instead of getting killed whenever iOS feels like it.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
The BigBoss repo is getting hammered big time, preventing me from downloading its packages list. This is preventing me from downloading pretty much anything, as I'm getting caught up with dependencies that I can't get access to.

Actually, I think I finally got it now. But while I'm here, what are the best non-stock repos that I should add?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Revol posted:

The BigBoss repo is getting hammered big time, preventing me from downloading its packages list. This is preventing me from downloading pretty much anything, as I'm getting caught up with dependencies that I can't get access to.

Actually, I think I finally got it now. But while I'm here, what are the best non-stock repos that I should add?

I haven't been able to get in either

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Nodoze posted:

I haven't been able to get in either

Just keep reloading. Took me 4-5 times.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

My coworker just handed me an iPhone 3GS, doesn't seem to have any blobs saved for it and I have no idea what firmware it's on because it was in recovery mode.
What's the best way to jailbreak and unlock it with all this new stuff that came out today?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kaboobi posted:

My coworker just handed me an iPhone 3GS, doesn't seem to have any blobs saved for it and I have no idea what firmware it's on because it was in recovery mode.
What's the best way to jailbreak and unlock it with all this new stuff that came out today?
Upgrade to 5.0.1 and follow this http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/chart?version=5.0.1&device=iphone3

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

randyest posted:

Upgrade to 5.0.1 and follow this http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/chart?version=5.0.1&device=iphone3

Is the latest 3GS modem firmware unlockable with ultrasn0w? That would make life super easy if it is.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kaboobi posted:

Is the latest 3GS modem firmware unlockable with ultrasn0w? That would make life super easy if it is.
Sorry I don't know anything about unlocks, except: 1) don't use the ipad baseband to do it and 2) it depends on your phone version, I'm sure google or some other posters can help you out on that end.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Has anyone managed to install either Lockinfo or SBSettings today?

I've added the beta repositories for both, but when I try to install either it won't due to missing dependencies. I'm hoping that it's just from the servers getting hammered.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004

diremonk posted:

I've added the beta repositories for both, but when I try to install either it won't due to missing dependencies. I'm hoping that it's just from the servers getting hammered.

I am in the same position and came to the same conclusion.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

diremonk posted:

The servers are getting hammered. I was having the same problem earlier but managed to nab SBSettings about five minutes ago.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Kaboobi posted:

Your best bet would be to use Redsn0w's Extra options to make a custom ipsw to preserve whatever baseband is on there and then put it into pwned DFU mode. (again in the Extras section)
From there hold either shift (win) or option (mac) when clicking restore in iTunes, select the modified ipsw, and hope for the best that it's still on an unlockable baseband.

edit: You'll need to download the stock ipsw first for Redsn0w. You can find download links here
http://www.redmondpie.com/download-5.0.1-ios-for-iphone-4s-iphone-4-3gs-ipad-2-ipad-1-ipod-touch-final-direct-links/

Oh, and make sure iTunes is up to date first.

Nill fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 28, 2011

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Goon help needed. I just tried to upgrade from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 so I could JB. However while trying to restore and upgrade, I get the error 21 and then the phone is stuck in recovery mode. Once I try to connect to iTunes again, I am told I have to restore first before I can upgrade so I then try to restore. Same thing happens then, the error 21 box pops up. What am I doing wrong?

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Goon help needed. I just tried to upgrade from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 so I could JB. However while trying to restore and upgrade, I get the error 21 and then the phone is stuck in recovery mode. Once I try to connect to iTunes again, I am told I have to restore first before I can upgrade so I then try to restore. Same thing happens then, the error 21 box pops up. What am I doing wrong?
Are you using a custom restore file? Have you tried DFU mode?

vvvv Hmmm... I'm not sure I've seen error 21 come up without a custom ipsw being involved.

Nill fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 28, 2011

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Nill posted:

Are you using a custom restore file? Have you tried DFU mode?

Sorry to mention that, no I am not using a custom restore file and I have tried DFU mode. Neither are working.

edit: I forgot that I did have a copy of 4.3.3 ipsw saved, so I'm doing the shift click to restore back to that and it seems to be working. However, what the hell can I do to avoid this next time?

edit 2: Same issue with the custom 4.3.3 ipsw, now I'm getting error 1.

edit 3: After researching, only thing I could think of was that running on iTunes 10.5 was the issue so I downgraded to 10.3 and tried again to restore with an official 4.3.3 ipsw and still nothing. Does anyone have any advice?

Mr Hands Colon fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 28, 2011

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Nill posted:

Your best bet would be to use Redsn0w's Extra options to make a custom ipsw to preserve whatever baseband is on there and then put it into pwned DFU mode. (again in the Extras section)
From there hold either shift (win) or option (mac) when clicking restore in iTunes, select the modified ipsw, and hope for the best that it's still on an unlockable baseband.

edit: You'll need to download the stock ipsw first for Redsn0w. You can find download links here
http://www.redmondpie.com/download-5.0.1-ios-for-iphone-4s-iphone-4-3gs-ipad-2-ipad-1-ipod-touch-final-direct-links/

Oh, and make sure iTunes is up to date first.

Sounds good, I'll give that a shot as I have no idea what's going on with the device now.
If it's not on an unlockable baseband I'll probably just give it back to him.

I installed the iPad baseband on his old 3G as it would never get any further firmware updates so he wouldn't have to worry, but that got stolen and he got this device as a replacement. There's no way I'm installing that on this thing.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

diremonk posted:

Specifically, it's the BigBoss repository that is getting hammered.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Revol posted:

Makes sense then. I'll just wait a couple hours and try then. At least I got BiteSMS back.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
I keep getting Error 3194 in iTunes when trying to update my iPad to retail 5.0.1 from untethered 4.2.1. Any ideas on how to get around this? Everything is up to date.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Uuudar posted:

I keep getting Error 3194 in iTunes when trying to update my iPad to retail 5.0.1 from untethered 4.2.1. Any ideas on how to get around this? Everything is up to date.
fairly certain that is the host file error. Fix your host file and maybe do a reboot. Should fix it.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
Got it, thanks!

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Well it appears that I messed up while trying to upgrade to 5.0.1 so I can JB, and now I'm stuck in Recovery Loop.

Has anyone here had any success with iREB, I just want to get back to 4.3.3 now. I tried to check out redsn0w but as soon as I connect my device to my PC, I immediately get the Connect to iTunes screen. I have my shsh backed up and an official 4.3.3 ipsw. Thanks for the help guys.

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001

Revol posted:

This can't be quoted enough. Four Iphone4's in the house, and it's killing me trying to get them all updated and jailbroken. I'm really just trying to get the basics on them now right now too. (SBS settings)

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Well it appears that I messed up while trying to upgrade to 5.0.1 so I can JB, and now I'm stuck in Recovery Loop.

Has anyone here had any success with iREB, I just want to get back to 4.3.3 now. I tried to check out redsn0w but as soon as I connect my device to my PC, I immediately get the Connect to iTunes screen. I have my shsh backed up and an official 4.3.3 ipsw. Thanks for the help guys.
Do you recall what error iTunes kicked out when you first tried to upgrade?

nadav
Sep 6, 2005
My last name is actually something very jewish. Like Leibovitz, only longer. And more jewish.

Mr Hands Colon posted:

I'm in the same situation. Tried with the stock IPSW and a custom one.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

nadav posted:

I'm in the same situation. Tried with the stock IPSW and a custom one.

Well I just gave up on upgrading to 5.0.1. I downloaded fixrecovery43.zip which also contained zlib1.dll. Then I opened iTunes, plugged in the phone (was still in connect to iTunes mode) and turned on fixrecovery. I then held down power and home for 10 seconds, which threw it into DFU mode and let the code run. After that, I just went back into iTunes and was able to restore back to 4.3.3. What a pain in my rear end and a waste of 4 hours.

As for what caused the issue in the first place, I have no idea. I merely tried to upgrade to 5.0.1 and planned on JB'ing after that.

nadav
Sep 6, 2005
My last name is actually something very jewish. Like Leibovitz, only longer. And more jewish.
I got 5.01 installed. I used redsn0w's Fix Recovery feature, then entered DFU and restored to the stock IPSW.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Well I just gave up on upgrading to 5.0.1. I downloaded fixrecovery43.zip which also contained zlib1.dll. Then I opened iTunes, plugged in the phone (was still in connect to iTunes mode) and turned on fixrecovery. I then held down power and home for 10 seconds, which threw it into DFU mode and let the code run. After that, I just went back into iTunes and was able to restore back to 4.3.3. What a pain in my rear end and a waste of 4 hours.

As for what caused the issue in the first place, I have no idea. I merely tried to upgrade to 5.0.1 and planned on JB'ing after that.

It's probably the same problem almost everyone has when they're upgrading: your hosts file has probably been changed by TinyUmbrella.

The OP posted:

Note: if you have having trouble installing a firmware upgrade or performing a fresh install via iTunes, make sure that "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit" (located under the 'Advanced' tab) is not checked:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Well, that went as smooth as a gravy sandwich on my iPod Touch 4G. Just BT'd PwnageTool 5.0.1, pointed it to the stock ipsw I'd been saving for the past two weeks, it created a custom ipsw, then helped me put my iPod into recovery mode. Then it told me to launch iTunes and use the custom ipsw. Launched iTunes, it told me I had an iPod in recovery mode, I held down option when I clicked restore, pointed to the custom ipsw and it was smooth sailing from there.

Then it went into the usual 5.0 intro, disabled location services, etc. then it restored all my previous apps by redownloading them all. I didn't really even have to think hard; I did have to enter a new passcode though.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Today, I did a jailbreak on somebody's iPhone 4 using the latest redsn0w. The jailbreak itself was painless, but I ran into trouble trying to get PdaNet to work afterwards. As soon as I try to turn the WiFi hotspot on, define a WPA2 password, and hit "Activate", it will immediately return itself to the "Off" position. For some reason, it will work if I leave the password blank.

Is this a compatibility issue related to the new untethered jailbreak or have other people been having this sort of problem on their phones on various versions on iOS? My own tethered jail broken iPhone 4, which is still on 5.0, doesn't have this problem. The guy in question also has a 5.0.1 iPad I jailbroke using the same means, but that one works fine, though it insists on using WEP for some reason.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 28, 2011

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Binary Badger posted:

Then it went into the usual 5.0 intro, disabled location services,

I've gotta ask as I'm not too hip, but why disable location services? Is it a Touch thing, battery issue, or just a good idea? I always turn on LS, but I've limited experience with JB devices so I'm curious as to your reasons.

Mercedes posted:

Man, I wanna be part of the hype! I still haven't gotten this stupid phone to go into DFU mode yet!!! :argh:

Sorry, that can be a capital B. I believe Javid added a couple pages ago to make sure you're taking off the case if you have one on the phone. You didn't comment, but I assume you didn't have a case on seeing as how you are switching SIM cards and all.

I've got a 3GS but no necessary equipment to get down on the JB at present, so I can feel your pain. I know it's frustrating, but you'll get it, or maybe ask someone else to try, at least you'll get a break from the unintuitive gadget fatigue. If they get it then the relief of moving on will be welcomed or if they don't then you'll get some shared catharsis.

Edit:vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Ah, that makes sense. Is competent Wi-Fi AP location reporting even a twinkle in someone's eye? Are we going to just put GPSs in every non-infrastructural access point and consumer router at some time in the future? In the meantime why bother pretending?
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Arrowsmith fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 28, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

iPod Touch thing. I rarely use it to locate myself, and the iPod Touch has no GPS hardware, it does location by your wireless access point which is useless as far as I'm concerned.

LS also does drain my battery faster too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zorilla posted:

Today, I did a jailbreak on somebody's iPhone 4 using the latest redsn0w. The jailbreak itself was painless, but I ran into trouble trying to get PdaNet to work afterwards. As soon as I try to turn the WiFi hotspot on, define a WPA2 password, and hit "Activate", it will immediately return itself to the "Off" position. For some reason, it will work if I leave the password blank.

Is this a compatibility issue related to the new untethered jailbreak or have other people been having this sort of problem on their phones on various versions on iOS? My own tethered jail broken iPhone 4, which is still on 5.0, doesn't have this problem. The guy in question also has a 5.0.1 iPad I jailbroke using the same means, but that one works fine, though it insists on using WEP for some reason.
I don't see pdanet on the goon compatibility matrix:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CMmC_5gE&key=0Ah09Sy6aGB8hdEVaemF1VXRYbXVjY0wyZGdnZThuQUE#gid=0
and the cydiahelp list seems to cut off at the "L"s so that's no help:
http://cydiahelp.com/ios-5-compatible-cydia-apps-tweaks-list/

But I'd guess it's probably a compatibility thing since pdanet is old as hell. MyWi and TetherMe are the ones I've been using since 4.x, and both have a big fat green "yes" on the compatibility matrix (though I haven't tried yet since I've a 4s). I can't say for sure that pdanet hasn't been updated to work on 5.x. Maybe google it?

• Locked thread