Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

FT86 will be in the upcoming Gran Turismo 5 update, no word on the BRZ or Forza 4 yet.

uhh, hasn't this been in GT5 for over a year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Laserface posted:

TRD edition and Modelista have both been spotted at some event.

TRD option is pretty :fap:

Noice.

VCR 2.0
Oct 5, 2007

revmoo posted:

uhh, hasn't this been in GT5 for over a year?

There are two concept versions of it, but not the final product though.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

VCR 2.0 posted:

There are two concept versions of it, but not the final product though.

The FT86 will be the new Skyline of the Gran Turismo franchise. Prepare for 12 "different" racing versions next update.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Guinness posted:

All kidding aside, I think black is the best color on most cars (especially on "nice" cars), two of three cars that I've owned have been black, and my current car is black.

But there's a very good chance my next car will not be black. Having a car painted in a color that doesn't highlight every single imperfection, swirl mark, and speck of dirt will be a welcome change.

I'm really torn on white. On most cars, white is so bland and soul-sucking, but that's because most white cars are dull Toyotas and Hyundais and Fords which all seem to use the same ugly white paint that you can find on your washing machine. Due to that I equate white in my head with other terribly bland colors like beige and silver. On the other hand, I'm really liking white on some of the newer BMWs and Porsches, and also on the BRZ/GT86; cars that actually have interesting body styles and features that are not just big slabs.

I'm a huge fan of the Pepper White on MINIs, it's just a bit cream, like a bone color, and is so much better than the slightly-blue white that fleet vehicles and cheap white cars are painted in.

Hedge has a Clubman in Pepper White with black flares and a black rear doorframe and I envy it a lot, here's his post in "What did you do to your ride today?"

hedge posted:

My first track day.

If I ever get a Clubman it's going to look exactly the same. :3:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

If I ever get a Clubman it's going to look exactly the same. :3:

The thumbnails make it look like a Ford Flex. :3:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

I'm a huge fan of the Pepper White on MINIs, it's just a bit cream, like a bone color, and is so much better than the slightly-blue white that fleet vehicles and cheap white cars are painted in.
That it wasn't a white white is partially why I didn't get that color for mine* :v:. I think I like the new one although I'm not sure I've seen it in person yet, it's a metallic white of some kind. The shots of the Modelista kit remind me of it, the way the light shines off the paint (but a warmer white vs Mini's new white)

*I went with Dark Silver which I sometimes regret (other one I was thinking about was Laser Blue), but it looks nice under the sun. Also got the white roof, stripes, and messing with colored mirrors cause I'm tacky as hell like that.

Edit-vvvvv That would be hilarious/awesome.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
For a year or so my grand plan was to get a Flex and a Clubman in the same colors and get a Union Jack painted on the roof of both. It would have been so loving cute, I'm a tall burly dude and my wife is pretty petite. One day.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
People are still playing GT5? After spending 5 minutes with Forza 4 I just can't go back to Gran Turismo. And that's coming from a GT fanboy. They aren't even in the same league. But, I am looking forward to flogging a GT86 around Laguna Seca in Forza.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

People are still playing GT5? After spending 5 minutes with Forza 4 I just can't go back to Gran Turismo. And that's coming from a GT fanboy. They aren't even in the same league. But, I am looking forward to flogging a GT86 around Laguna Seca in Forza.

I grew up on the first four Gran Turismos. I bought a PS3 and Prologue and waited 2 years.I bought GT5 on release day.

I sold my PS3 the following month.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

BoostCreep posted:

Or Road Atlanta. This DLC can't happen soon enough IMO.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

BoostCreep posted:

In the US, the 370z is $31 thousand plus destination fee, so just a hair over $32,000 for the base model (which still has the 332hp V6 and 6 speed manual, HID headlights, auto climate control, 18" wheels, and a host of really nice features). The BRZ Premium, if it is near that $28k mark that we've been hearing, is only $4,000 shy of 132 more horses in a very similar package.

I have a hard time digesting the Subaru value prop for this car. at low 20s in Scion guise it starts to become attractive, but competition is extremely rough once you're approaching 25k+. Frankly the 370z (with its documented scary brakes) is also a bad value proposition for the money given the competition in its price range.

It's worth mentioning that formidable cars like 2012 Mustang GTs start under $25k. It's not even just the V6 is in competition with the 86, but the GT, which is a capable car in its own right with twice the horsepower and an established pedigree. If you don't believe me on the price point, go look it up. There's 80+ 2012 GTs (and a few 2011s) sitting on lots out there under $30k, and if someone's getting serious about one of these cars for the way it drives I suspect a lot of people will see the additional girth of the Mustang as an acceptable sacrifice for the Coyote 5.0, and that's if they don't go with the V6 which is good in its own right.

Sales numbers are going to be telling... Sadly I see this becoming another Genesis coupe story with limited appeal and 85% sold as automatics to executive assistants.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Tremek posted:

2012 Mustang GTs start under $25k. It's not even just the V6 is in competition with the 86, but the GT, which is a capable car in its own right with twice the horsepower and an established pedigree. If you don't believe me on the price point, go look it up. There's 80+ 2012 GTs (and a few 2011s) sitting on lots out there under $30k
Wait, the 2012 GT has an MSRP of like $29k... so yes, under $30k, but under 25?
Are you saying dealers are offering like 5k off sticker right now on 2012 GTs?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Hog Obituary posted:

Wait, the 2012 GT has an MSRP of like $29k... so yes, under $30k, but under 25?
Are you saying dealers are offering like 5k off sticker right now on 2012 GTs?

Even if they were, there are no base model GTs sitting around. Nearly all of them are at least Premiums, which start at around 33k.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Again, the Mustang is the outlier here on the price/performance scale, not the BRZ, and I don't think comparing every performance car to it on that scale is worthwhile because nothing comes close. If you want the fastest times for the dollar you get the Mustang. Fin.

The BRZ/FRS is going to be a significantly different experience to drive than a Mustang, though, and if it's as much fun as all the reviews say I think it'll do just fine at $25k.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Tremek posted:

If you don't believe me on the price point, go look it up. There's 80+ 2012 GTs (and a few 2011s) sitting on lots out there under $30k,

You're going to have to provide the link here, it's your claim to back up. At least give us your zip code so we can look it up on Ford's website.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

Anyone know if these will be hitting the midwest carshow circuit? Detroit, Chicago, Indy, etc? They are all coming up soon and it would be nice to see these in person.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Edmunds is saying 27,400 for a zero option mustang GT. 26k is probably realistic, which is 25k if you ignore the $1000 delivery fee. You can't compete with the value of a truck based muscle car. The economies of scale of the drive train are just too powerful. I will get a mustang when the used market gets full of clean examples in 6 years when gas is $10 a gallon.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
And yet... the gas mileage on the V6 is better than the numbers we've seen for the GT86, and only slightly worse for the V8.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

As Nero Danced posted:

You're going to have to provide the link here, it's your claim to back up. At least give us your zip code so we can look it up on Ford's website.

I found badboy online. Yes, that's a 2010, and yes, they are asking $36,000 for it. :psyboom:.

However, the cheapest I found was a base GT for under $25,000.

PT6A posted:

And yet... the gas mileage on the V6 is better than the numbers we've seen for the GT86, and only slightly worse for the V8.

To be fair, there are no official numbers on the GT86 and Ford put a lot of effort into skewing the fuel economy numbers. A base V6 has ridiculously tall gearing and very skinny, Michelin Energy Saver tires. Once you swap those POSes for the 2" wider performance package tires and gearing meant for a sports car, the Mustang's gas mileage is going to drop to the low 20s combined.

Edit: links

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 21, 2011

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

oRenj9 posted:

I found badboy online. Yes, that's a 2010, and yes, they are asking $36,000 for it. :psyboom:.

However, the cheapest I found was a base GT for under $25,000.

Huh, guess they are out there for that price then, thank you. I would argue that's the exception and not the rule, but that's a drat good price.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

As Nero Danced posted:

Huh, guess they are out there for that price then, thank you. I would argue that's the exception and not the rule, but that's a drat good price.

I actually found quite a few. If you're willing to travel, it seems you can save a good deal of coin. I found a base GT + Bembos for $26,782...If only I could justify a new car right now...

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

On the other hand, there's little reason to think that the current mustang won't depreciate pretty severely, if history tells us anything. Plus I'm pretty sure the car buying public still does, and will continue to do, the whole irrational :supaburn: IT'S A USED TOYOTA/SUBARU, I'VE HIT THE JACKPOT :supaburn: thing.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

As Nero Danced posted:

To wit: http://tinyurl.com/mustvagen

Hence my commentary about why this is entering a really rough portion of the market from a pricing standpoint. Sure, some diehards that will always go with an import will always go with a Scion/BRZ, but a good many other people are going to compare hardtop coupes and find the Mustang's a pretty compelling package for the same money (as they have already done when comparing the Mustang to the Genesis/Camaro/Challenger.)

Edit: also -

Elephanthead posted:

You can't compete with the value of a truck based muscle car

What is this truck-based muscle car you speak of? The 5.0 Coyote only shares bore-spacing with the mod motors before it and is all-new development, and both it and the 3.7L V6 were developed for the Mustang first, not for the F-series. Also, it's not like the Mustang is body-on-frame - it has its own unibody platform (and has always been built on a unibody platform) - again, your truck comparisons make no sense.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 21, 2011

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Tremek posted:

To wit: http://tinyurl.com/mustvagen

Hence my commentary about why this is entering a really rough portion of the market from a pricing standpoint. Sure, some diehards that will always go with an import will always go with a Scion/BRZ, but a good many other people are going to compare hardtop coupes and find the Mustang's a pretty compelling package for the same money (as they have already done when comparing the Mustang to the Genesis/Camaro/Challenger.)

Yep, I'm wrong, and glad to be so in this case. I hope the BRZ is competitive, but I am starting to agree with your argument.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Tremek posted:

Truckstang

Pretty sure he's making a "lol truck axle" post

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Sorry to interrupt the Mustang chat, but Toyota put out a new concept Lexus coupe i.e. new Lexus SC just now.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/12/2012-detroit-auto-show-lexus-unveils-sport-coupe-concept.html

Maybe I don't have the scale right and it's actually bigger, but doesn't it look like it could share some underpinnings with the FT-86?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I was wondering if they'd make a Lexus version, not that I can tell the scale from the pic either. Nose section seems like it might be longer, trunk too perhaps, like the cabin space seems smaller proportionally compared to the 86.

leyton house
Nov 21, 2011

by Fistgrrl
It would be a pretty bad idea to base a luxury GT off a lightweight sports coupe. If anything the Lexus coupe would share underpinnings with the GS. However, maybe this will mean the return of the Supra (yes,I realize I'm a ricer douche bag)

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
First thing I noticed is that it looked like an 86, then I read where they were calling it a 2 + 2 just like the 86 and it pretty much sealed the deal.

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!
Seems like it might be a replacement for the SC. I wonder if there'd be much point in sharing anything with the FT-86 once the engine layout is altered and all the heavy luxury equipment gets stuffed in. Not that I'm anywhere near the target market for this car, but I do like seeing more grand tourers in the world.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

leyton house posted:

It would be a pretty bad idea to base a luxury GT off a lightweight sports coupe. If anything the Lexus coupe would share underpinnings with the GS. However, maybe this will mean the return of the Supra (yes,I realize I'm a ricer douche bag)

Yes, it would be a bad idea to build a GT car off of the FT-86 chassis. If they really wanted to do a larger GT cruiser, they would just combine the IS-F with a coupe version of the IS-350-C body.

The IS-F is the modern Supra, only with four-doors.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

oRenj9 posted:

To be fair, there are no official numbers on the GT86 and Ford put a lot of effort into skewing the fuel economy numbers. A base V6 has ridiculously tall gearing and very skinny, Michelin Energy Saver tires. Once you swap those POSes for the 2" wider performance package tires and gearing meant for a sports car, the Mustang's gas mileage is going to drop to the low 20s combined.

Edit: links

I have the V6 Pony Package (3.73 gearing, and decent if not track-ready tires) and I still manage 7 L/100km on the highway and 9-10 L/100km in the city (33/24 mpg).

EDIT: Checked my car's onboard computer, and I'm getting 9 L/100km (26 mpg) in average usage, driving it pretty hard and not shifting for economy, while living downtown and driving 99% in the city. This is on my winter tires, though; I'm not sure if that makes mileage better or worse, to be honest with you.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 23, 2011

Mantle
May 15, 2004

This is a neat thread showing the differences between the Toyota and Subaru versions side by side: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2998

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The Toyota is definitely better. It's got less of the infamous black plastic. It also has a lot less awkward angles.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

God drat that Toyota is a sexy car. But I swore to myself I would keep my 07 Scion tC until I can buy an all-electric car. Ugh!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Continuing derail,

I am sure the engines were designed for the mustang exclusively because the 50K units is really more important to Ford then the 500K F150s they sell each year.

End derail.

It seems silly that Toyota just didn't drop a Toyota v6 into this and call it a day. It would probably save $2000 a unit. Power bulge hoods are hot. They are slipping. Parts bin design is where it is at.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I think most people reading this are getting the news from ft86clubs front page rather than here, but there was a few nice pieces of info shared over the christmas break.

the most retarded is that of Tokyo auto salon, where both brands are showing off their performance branch versions - toyotas "black edition" and the BRZ STI concept (again).

for a pair of auto-manu's that shared a project they sure are trying to one-up each other pretty constantly.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

revmoo posted:

The Toyota is definitely better. It's got less of the infamous black plastic. It also has a lot less awkward angles.

I wish the Toyota got the wrap around led highlight instead of that "light bar" thing in the headlight assembly. Man that wrap-around is sexy looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Laserface posted:

for a pair of auto-manu's that shared a project they sure are trying to one-up each other pretty constantly.

The less the real differences, the greater the made-up ones.

• Locked thread