Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

LastInLine posted:

Huh, they took Miren Browser off the Market. Here's an old version I found on xda but in the thread people also recommended Boat Browser as a Miren replacement.

As for the ICS camera, I'm sure it requires some support in the ROM to work.

Holy poo poo, thanks for this.

I had to roll back to Sense for WiMax support after using MIUI exclusively for months and really missed the MIUI web browser.

And yeah, I wouldn't expect ICS camera backports anytime soon. The whole camera framework has changed, which is why so many ICS ports over on xda don't have the camera working yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

notZaar posted:

I have a Samsung Galaxy SII, I'm wondering, is the Samsung App market... legal? The thing came with the phone, and it has a lot of games freely available that cost money in the Android market.

Samsung paid for you to have those apps for free, since you bought the phone from them.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Free 50gb storage on box.com

Saw this on another board. Box.com has a 50gb promo for SE-xperia stuff going right now but if you install the app linked below, give the app your box.com creds (I changed my pw for this) it will fake an xperia to their servers upgrading you to 50gb. You uninstall this app after it upgrades you.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.redphx.boxnet

I've not had box.com account before, just created my free one today and upgraded it. I've not really used dropbox before either (got my own thang) other than just to play around with to see how it works in ES explorer, box.com seems to work exactly the same in ES as dropbox.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 28, 2011

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Wagonburner posted:

Free 50gb storage on box.com

Saw this on another board. Box.com has a 50gb promo for SE-xperia stuff going right now but if you install the app linked below, give the app your box.com creds (I changed my pw for this) it will fake an xperia to their servers upgrading you to 50gb. You uninstall this app after it upgrades you.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.redphx.boxnet

I've not had box.com account before, just created my free one today and upgraded it. I've not really used dropbox before either (got my own thang) other than just to play around with to see how it works in ES explorer, box.com seems to work exactly the same in ES as dropbox.

Thanks for the tip, I just signed up and upgraded to 50GB with no problem. I use Dropbox all the time so I'm not sure how much I'll use Box.com, but at least now I have the option.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

sedative posted:

If you're rooted you can freeze Market Updater with Titanium Backup

Will renaming the .apk have the same effect? I've tried installing older versions, but the Market seems to update almost instantly.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

SplitSoul posted:

Will renaming the .apk have the same effect? I've tried installing older versions, but the Market seems to update almost instantly.

Yeah I think so. You should be able to freeze/rename it (it's located at /system/app/MarketUpdater.apk on my phone), uninstall any updates that you already have and it won't update anymore. I did this for the longest time to avoid updating to the latest market.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

sedative posted:

Yeah I think so. You should be able to freeze/rename it (it's located at /system/app/MarketUpdater.apk on my phone), uninstall any updates that you already have and it won't update anymore. I did this for the longest time to avoid updating to the latest market.

No dice. Renamed MarketUpdater.apk and .odex, uninstalled updates, cleared cache and data, and installed an older version. Got to update a single app before the Market updated and force closed. For gently caress's sake.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

king of the bongo posted:

I use Milocker with the va asteria lockscreen. It has a missed calls and an unread sms count and lets you unlock to sms. As a bonus it does not show a preview of the message on the lockscreen, I never understood why manufacturers did that. Pretty minimal lockscreen too.
I liked the look of it, but it didn't work with my Rezound's resolution.

datajosh posted:

If you install ADWNotifier, you can have an unread count over the SMS icon on WidgetLocker.
Thanks! The notification is a bit small but it works.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
Are there any apps that work as a general weight lifting tracker? I'd also love if it includes animations or illustrations for various exercises. A calorie counter included would be great but I can use a separate app for that if needed.

I know there are a ton of fitness apps but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with any personally. Paid or free, either is fine.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Krittick posted:

Are there any apps that work as a general weight lifting tracker? I'd also love if it includes animations or illustrations for various exercises. A calorie counter included would be great but I can use a separate app for that if needed.

I know there are a ton of fitness apps but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with any personally. Paid or free, either is fine.

JFit is pretty good. It has a pretty good database and can be customized. It's particularly good if you take the time to set it up on its website. I don't know about calorie counting, but it can do pretty much anything you need for workouts. However, consider MyTracks if you plan on doing cardio outdoors.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Krittick posted:

JEFIT: I've used this one before but it was awhile ago. Not sure but they may have added calorie counting.
https://market.android.com/details?id=je.fit&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImplLmZpdCJd

Droidfit: works pretty well too, but again, it's been awhile since I've used it.
https://market.android.com/details?id=droid.fit&feature=more_from_developer

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Really missed the custom auto brightness level adjustments in CM and MIUI, so I poked around a little and found Custom Auto Brightness in the Market which works better than the built-in stuff from CM/MIUI (real time previews, graphs, etc). Requires root.

It's really nice for me personally, since I prefer my screen to be much dimmer than HTC's autobrightness, but I'm also too lazy to continually manually adjust my brightness level to save battery.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Leathal posted:

Really missed the custom auto brightness level adjustments in CM and MIUI, so I poked around a little and found Custom Auto Brightness in the Market which works better than the built-in stuff from CM/MIUI (real time previews, graphs, etc). Requires root.

It's really nice for me personally, since I prefer my screen to be much dimmer than HTC's autobrightness, but I'm also too lazy to continually manually adjust my brightness level to save battery.

I just tried this out, and I think my phone might not be entirely supported. I've got an Evo 3D, and when I ran the brightness test, nothing happened. That is, the phone didn't turn off, nor did the brightness increase. Using the graph, I can adjust brightness levels, but like you, I'm lazy and also don't really know what I want to do with this.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I have two Titanium Backup folders, with some overlapping apps. Is it going to poo poo the bed if I combine the folders or will it just show multiple backups for the overlaps?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

hooah posted:

I just tried this out, and I think my phone might not be entirely supported. I've got an Evo 3D, and when I ran the brightness test, nothing happened. That is, the phone didn't turn off, nor did the brightness increase. Using the graph, I can adjust brightness levels, but like you, I'm lazy and also don't really know what I want to do with this.

Actually I also have an Evo 3D. The sensor tests don't work, but the rest of the app does. I'm still fine tuning the settings, but it works really well so far.

Basically I have the screen at max at one end, min at the other, and adjusted the levels in the middle until they were about where I wanted them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Leathal posted:

Actually I also have an Evo 3D. The sensor tests don't work, but the rest of the app does. I'm still fine tuning the settings, but it works really well so far.

Basically I have the screen at max at one end, min at the other, and adjusted the levels in the middle until they were about where I wanted them.

Alright, I'll mess around with it some. Can you move the sensor slider all the way to the right? I'm not able to access the last value.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

hooah posted:

Alright, I'll mess around with it some. Can you move the sensor slider all the way to the right? I'm not able to access the last value.

Yeah you can, but it's kinda buggy. Try tapping the slider at the far edge of your screen instead of dragging.

RiftInducer
Feb 21, 2010

Loutre posted:

My googling has failed me:

I like the way Sense's lock screen lets me unlock straight to SMS with an icon that also shows how many unread I have.

Is there an app that'll let me have the same functionality in a regular slider unlock? WidgetLocker doesn't show that I have unread, and I'd prefer not having any "regular" buttons on my lock screen.

Try GoTo Lockscreen. It puts your phone, messages and Gmail onto the unlock slider. The only downside I can think of is that it lets you change the shortcuts, but not the icons. Aside from that, it works quite well on my Sensation.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

SplitSoul posted:

No dice. Renamed MarketUpdater.apk and .odex, uninstalled updates, cleared cache and data, and installed an older version. Got to update a single app before the Market updated and force closed. For gently caress's sake.

This probably isn't the case for you, but I had the market force closing when I thought Download was some separate thing, and deleted it. Apparently market REALLY wants it.

Maybe it wasn't market... maybe that was the browser. Either way, if you were tooling around started deleting stuff, maybe that's what did it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
So, I've got an HP touchpad running CM7. Does it help to grab any of the apps that are built for ARM7, etc? The Touchpad has the snapdragon, but to run ubuntu, it looks like you run the ARM compiled versions. Does that mean that one of the video players with ARM7 would run better? (example)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Wrong thread sorry

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Si I downloaded the GetJar app so I could grab Beautiful Widgets for free. I then deleted it. However my phone keeps downloading something called GetJar.apk once a day even though I no longer have their app on the phone. What the gently caress?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

spixxor posted:

Si I downloaded the GetJar app so I could grab Beautiful Widgets for free. I then deleted it. However my phone keeps downloading something called GetJar.apk once a day even though I no longer have their app on the phone. What the gently caress?

I downloaded that app to get some free stuff as well then promptly deleted it. It seemed shady as gently caress.

Hasn't re-downloaded itself yet. I'd steer clear of it if you haven't used it. It's a shady market, IMO.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Huh, they took Miren Browser off the Market. Here's an old version I found on xda but in the thread people also recommended Boat Browser as a Miren replacement.

Man Boat Browser is really smooth. Looks good, and is updated a lot. Thanks for the suggestion! I've stuck with Dolphin Browser Mini for a heck of a long time due to how low impact it is and this is even lower footprint. Plus it's very pretty :3:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slopehead posted:

Man Boat Browser is really smooth. Looks good, and is updated a lot. Thanks for the suggestion! I've stuck with Dolphin Browser Mini for a heck of a long time due to how low impact it is and this is even lower footprint. Plus it's very pretty :3:
Glad you like it but the thanks go to :stare: xda...

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

rotaryfun posted:

JEFIT: I've used this one before but it was awhile ago. Not sure but they may have added calorie counting.
https://market.android.com/details?id=je.fit&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImplLmZpdCJd

Droidfit: works pretty well too, but again, it's been awhile since I've used it.
https://market.android.com/details?id=droid.fit&feature=more_from_developer

JEFIT is great, thanks. :)

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

nickhimself posted:

This probably isn't the case for you, but I had the market force closing when I thought Download was some separate thing, and deleted it. Apparently market REALLY wants it.

Maybe it wasn't market... maybe that was the browser. Either way, if you were tooling around started deleting stuff, maybe that's what did it.

Nope. It started when the newest version was pushed to my phone, further evidenced by the fact that older versions work fine until the Market auto-updates itself.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

SplitSoul posted:

Nope. It started when the newest version was pushed to my phone, further evidenced by the fact that older versions work fine until the Market auto-updates itself.

I guess I missed it, but why is it you don't want the new Market? I had an issue where I could only download updates for most of my apps with the old Market app, but then I found out it was because I had changed my pixel density, and a lot of apps (I'd estimate at least 80% of what I have installed) are only available with standard densities (240 and 160, I think). So I'd end up periodically reverting, force close Market, clear the Market cache, start it back up, then my updates would be waiting for me (sometimes I'd have to clear data too for some reason). I'm not sure if that's what's going on for you or not, but it took me forever to figure out that was my problem.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

brc64 posted:

I guess I missed it, but why is it you don't want the new Market? I had an issue where I could only download updates for most of my apps with the old Market app, but then I found out it was because I had changed my pixel density, and a lot of apps (I'd estimate at least 80% of what I have installed) are only available with standard densities (240 and 160, I think). So I'd end up periodically reverting, force close Market, clear the Market cache, start it back up, then my updates would be waiting for me (sometimes I'd have to clear data too for some reason). I'm not sure if that's what's going on for you or not, but it took me forever to figure out that was my problem.

I haven't changed density and I've tried all those things, including renaming the .apks, poo poo keeps upgrading instantly and the newest Market force closes whenever I click into an app's page.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

LastInLine posted:

Gonna throw in another thanks for sharing tha Boat Browser link. I was getting fed up with Opera since it took forever to load full sites, but seemingly gimped mobile sites. Boat runs smooth and perfect. Thanks again!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Found a cool app;
Tablet Remote. Install on your android phone and android tablet, use your phone as a remote for the tablet via bluetooth.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
All my contacts are on phone-only. Is there an app or a way to have all my contacts sync to my Google account?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Poopelyse posted:

All my contacts are on phone-only. Is there an app or a way to have all my contacts sync to my Google account?

The contacts app should have an option to export to a file on the SD card, which you can then upload to Google Contacts.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

kitten smoothie posted:

The contacts app should have an option to export to a file on the SD card, which you can then upload to Google Contacts.

Sweet I didn't think about exporting. It worked great, thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

I haven't changed density and I've tried all those things, including renaming the .apks, poo poo keeps upgrading instantly and the newest Market force closes whenever I click into an app's page.
Here's what I'd like you to try. Go to Settings > Applications, All tab and delete cache and data for Market and Market Feedback Agent. Go to /system/app and delete MarketUpdater.apk and Vending.apk. Reboot into recovery and wipe the cache and then flash one of these known-good Markets.

Once it's done, boot up and see if Market works properly.

Are you on stock? And it's a Nexus S, right? If so, custom kernel and version?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
This raises an interesting question:

There's a specific copy of Vending.apk required to get the Market working on a Nook Touch, and it's never tried to update itself even though it's the old green half-circle version.

Is the Market not updating automatically on my Nook Touch because that copy of Vending.apk is rigged to prevent updating, or because my device isn't on the Market's hardware whitelist?

If it's the .apk that's doing the blocking, maybe that'd help with SplitSoul's problem. I can turn up a copy when I get home, it's the one I linked to in my post about rooting the Touch over in the e-Reader thread.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

LastInLine posted:

Here's what I'd like you to try. Go to Settings > Applications, All tab and delete cache and data for Market and Market Feedback Agent. Go to /system/app and delete MarketUpdater.apk and Vending.apk. Reboot into recovery and wipe the cache and then flash one of these known-good Markets.

Once it's done, boot up and see if Market works properly.

Are you on stock? And it's a Nexus S, right? If so, custom kernel and version?

By cache I assume you mean Dalvik and using recovery to install the .zip from SD is the same as flashing, right? Anyway, the 3.3.12 Market kept force closing on launch until I ran the .apk itself from the .zip, which again let me update exactly one app before the thing closed itself quietly and updated to the newest version. This is bordering on Sisyphean...

Nexus S i9023, GB 2.3.4, Lucid 2.6.35.7 kernel.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 30, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SplitSoul posted:

At least try stock ICS on it.

Its incredibly slick compared to 2.x and you won't have Market issues.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

By cache I assume you mean Dalvik and using recovery to install the .zip from SD is the same as flashing, right? Anyway, the 3.3.12 Market kept force closing on launch until I ran the .apk itself from the .zip, which again let me update exactly one app before the thing closed itself quietly and updated to the newest version. This is bordering on Sisyphean...

Well by cache I meant cache not Dalvik, but I think blowing it totally away and rebooting should have fixed it if anything was going to.

Also dissss is right, you should move to ICS anyway, it's much better than 2.3.4. I've even got a good custom kernel you can run if you need BLN although on stock the phone runs better than it ever has. If I were you I'd wipe and Titanium just the app data you need instead of updating in place. It'll definitely solve the Market issue that's for certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

hotsauce posted:

I downloaded that app to get some free stuff as well then promptly deleted it. It seemed shady as gently caress.

Hasn't re-downloaded itself yet. I'd steer clear of it if you haven't used it. It's a shady market, IMO.

I'm starting to think it must be tied in with the beautiful widgets app itself, which sucks because I don't want to delete it. :( I like my pretty widgets.

• Locked thread