Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

It's an alcohol thermometer, but different kinds of alcohol are used for different temperature ranges. I'd err on the side of throwing out the section that it got spilled on.

Ugh, going through Wikipedia's info on them is terrible. Best case scenario, it's alcohol alcohol, like get you drunk who cares alcohol. Worst case it's kerosene and uh don't eat kerosene.

Can anyone rattle off a few soups that freeze well? Actually, even better, can someone give me some guidelines on what things freeze well and what don't? And then I can figure out what soups fit in those guidelines. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Ended up tossing the turkey anyway; it was part of some bizarre buy-one-get-one-free deal on Thanksgiving or something, and was hella freezer-burned and tasted gross independent of the alcohol. :(

Thanks for the info on the thermometers, though. I'd kind of imagine that it'd be at least mostly non-toxic, because it's designed to go in food, but who knows?

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Among other things, this year my wonderful girlfriend stuffed my stocking with a gram of whole saffron! What would be the best way to use this rare spice? I'd love to use it in something like a bouillabaisse, but living in Pittsburgh and being poor, I don't really have ready access to good seafood.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
What's the story on freezing dough? I'm going to make my father a load of pizza dough and I want to throw some of it in the freezer so he can make pizza after I leave town, but I keep seeing conflicting info on freezing dough (thanks, Internet!). I can freeze dough and it'll be just fine, right?

slavedaeva
Aug 22, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT ALEISTER CROWLEY AND AHURA MAZDA
For two rises, freeze between the first and second rise. For one rise, do it after you make it. Shape it into a disk, coat with a little oil, saran wrap it and then put it into a ziplock. When you thaw it, take it out the night before and put it (still wrapped) into the fridge. A few hours before use, unwrap and oil it, put it in a big bowl and cover it as you would to proof. Use when it has risen.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

slavedaeva posted:

For two rises, freeze between the first and second rise. For one rise, do it after you make it. Shape it into a disk, coat with a little oil, saran wrap it and then put it into a ziplock. When you thaw it, take it out the night before and put it (still wrapped) into the fridge. A few hours before use, unwrap and oil it, put it in a big bowl and cover it as you would to proof. Use when it has risen.
Thanks!

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
This evening I was prepping some Cod for fish tacos when I noticed a small worm wiggling around on the cutting board. Needless to say, I won't be eating Cod tonight. However, after digging around on the internet I noticed that this isn't exactly a rare occurance and might not matter all that much. I'm just wondering if any of you have ever had an experience with Cod Worms before and how you feel about them

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
My parents sent a jar of candied jalapeños (?!) and a jar of sorghum molasses for Christmas. I figure y'all can give me some good recipes or uses for the molasses (given that I don't really care for molasses cookies) and advise on wtf to do with candied jalapeños.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a Hario hand-crank coffee grinder. When I grind for a French Press, is there any reason to double-grind it for uniformity, or is that just dumb as hell and makes coffee sludge?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
candied chilis are awesome! taste one by itself and see how spicy it is, chilis in general and jalapenos especially can vary in heat pretty dramatically, but depending on method of production each piece in your batch should be pretty similar in heat.

are they wet candied in syrup or dry with crystallized sugar on top? Either way they would be good added to leafy or grain-style salads, like tabbouleh.

I've also used them as garnish on duck tacos, garnish for both bacon and jalapeno creme brulees, vanilla ice cream...

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Wet in a syrupy jar - ingredients are jalapeños, sugar and vinegar.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Hutzpah posted:

This evening I was prepping some Cod for fish tacos when I noticed a small worm wiggling around on the cutting board. Needless to say, I won't be eating Cod tonight. However, after digging around on the internet I noticed that this isn't exactly a rare occurance and might not matter all that much. I'm just wondering if any of you have ever had an experience with Cod Worms before and how you feel about them

This is fairly common to cod, and it's not a huge deal. If you have ever eaten swordfish you almost definitely ate meat riddled with some scary, scary worms.

edit: still kinda gross though.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Among other things, this year my wonderful girlfriend stuffed my stocking with a gram of whole saffron! What would be the best way to use this rare spice? I'd love to use it in something like a bouillabaisse, but living in Pittsburgh and being poor, I don't really have ready access to good seafood.

Make a really nice saffron risotto, the giorgio locatelli one is excellent.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Is there such a thing as curried banana and is It any good?

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I have the leftover bones from a 6-rib roast sitting in my freezer. I don't have a lot of days off this month, so I'd love to be able to stick them in a crockpot with <stuff> and turn out something tasty. I'm totally down for acquiring more bones and doing something even better/more complicated with them next month (and would love suggestions for that too) but for now I just need lunches. Any ideas on what I can put in there?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

silversiren posted:

Is there such a thing as curried banana and is It any good?

Curried plantain is a thing, and it is awesome!

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
So I got a big fancy kenwood mixer for christmas.

The thing is, I don't really make or eat desserts.

Anyone got any ideas for non-dessert foods that could put this piece of hardware to good use?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You got zillions of bread options.

With attachments you can grind meat, fill sausage and make pasta

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 27, 2011

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Nevergirls posted:

I want to learn about gin. Could the gin thread be reopened: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386196

If not is it OK for me to start a new one?

thanks

Just come on down to the cocktail thread with your questions, or ask them here. Gin threads just end up dying after a couple pages.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Curried plantain is a thing, and it is awesome!

Tell me more! What kind of curry is it?

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

Kenning posted:

Just come on down to the cocktail thread with your questions, or ask them here. Gin threads just end up dying after a couple pages.

I have 14 different gins and I don't want to ruin the cocktail thread with gin bollocks though...

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
May be cooking for my girlfriend this new years. Nothing fancy just some steak, decent salad and twice baked potatoes.

Only thing is she has a gas stove and I have never cooked with gas before. So short of loading up the charcoal grill and taking it there. Is there anything I need to know about cooking with gas? Tips tricks? Going to be ribeye and a cast iron grill if that makes any difference.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Help me, Goons with Spoons! I'm going to a potluck surprise birthday/new year's party, and the host has laid down the rules as:

quote:

The potluck theme will be "The Last Meal". Each guest/family/couple has to bring an item, as long as it begins with the first letter of their last name.
And another requirement: All dishes must be vegetarian, vegan if possible!

My last name begins with an A, so was thinking of bringing something with Arugula, Avocado, Artichoke and/or Asparagus. I have no clue how to make a dish out of this though :haw:. I could also play it cool and bring an "Asian version of" something along those lines. What should I make?

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Generalisimo Halal posted:

If you have ever eaten swordfish you almost definitely ate meat riddled with some scary, scary worms.

I can attest to this. I worked in a fish market for a couple of years and would regularly have to pull out worms from the swordfish. It wasn't just some swordfish. It was most swordfish.

This has turned me off from it for pretty much all time.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
I've been experimenting with pork belly a lot recently, trying to get a result I'm happy with. Last time, I cured the belly in a mixture of salt, brown sugar and spices for a few days, then braised it overnight at 200 degrees, letting it chill completely, then frying the slices up. The flavour was somewhat muted, and the lean bits seemed a bit tough.

I just read a Michael Ruhlman recipe (technically for Panchetta) where he cures it, but for longer, then wraps it in foil and roasts it at 250 degrees for a couple of hours, before cooling, slicing and frying.

The thing is, the curing process has drawn quite a lot of moisture out of the pork: should I really be following up a cure with a dry heat method like this?

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

Bo-Pepper posted:

I can attest to this. I worked in a fish market for a couple of years and would regularly have to pull out worms from the swordfish. It wasn't just some swordfish. It was most swordfish.

This has turned me off from it for pretty much all time.

Hmm... I didn't realize it was such a common thing. It's good to know regardless, I just wanted to see what goons thought about the topic

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Generalisimo Halal posted:

This is fairly common to cod, and it's not a huge deal. If you have ever eaten swordfish you almost definitely ate meat riddled with some scary, scary worms.

Gah why did I learn this :barf: I loving hate worms and parasites. Even if they're dead it still seems super gross.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)

EVG posted:

My parents sent a jar of candied jalapeños (?!) and a jar of sorghum molasses for Christmas. I figure y'all can give me some good recipes or uses for the molasses (given that I don't really care for molasses cookies) and advise on wtf to do with candied jalapeños.

Can't help you with the Jalapeños, don't like 'em.

Molasses, now, you can make a shoo-fly pie.
You know you can buy molasses by the gallon?

Right: the recipe.

make the crumbs first:
Mix until crumbly
3/4 C flour,
1/3 C Brown Sugar,
Pinch of salt,
3 Tbs butter,
1/4 tsp cinnamon, and
1/4 tsp ginger.

then for the bottom Layer (in a separate bowl) mix 1/2 tsp baking soda with 1/2 Cup boiling water. (if it does not fizz, use boiling water, or get new baking soda, but you need the fizzy soda water, there is not enough acidity to activate the soda in the mix.

Add 1/2 cup of molasses.

Then add about 1/2 the crumb mixture and pour into a 9" pie shell, and sprinkle the remaining crumbs on top and bake the pie for 15 minutes at 400F and then reduce heat to 325f and bake for another 20-30 minutes, until a knife slipped in the center comes out clean.

If you don't have a pie shell you can just make it like a crustless pie, it is good that way but it is harder to get out of the pan.

Rule .303 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 28, 2011

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

There's a bbq place local to my fiancee's parent's house that I hit when I'm up here that has some awesome homemade sweet pickled jalapeños. They're not the wimpy white seed jalapeños, either, they've got the darker brown seeds.
Spent $3 and got a pint of them. Thinking I'll mash a couple up and use them straight as a spread on a steak sandwich or something.

How sweet are your candied jalapenos? How sweet vs hot vs vinegar? If they're way more on the sweet end, it could be interesting to make a relish out of them and put it on ice cream

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Rule .303 posted:

Can't help you with the Jalapeños, don't like 'em.

Molasses, now, you can make a shoo-fly pie.
You know you can buy molasses by the gallon?

Right: the recipe.

make the crumbs first:
Mix until crumbly
3/4 C flour,
1/3 C Brown Sugar,
Pinch of salt,
3 Tbs butter,
1/4 tsp cinnamon, and
1/4 tsp ginger.

then for the bottom Layer (in a separate bowl) mix 1/2 tsp baking soda with 1/2 Cup boiling water. (if it does not fizz, use boiling water, or get new baking soda, but you need the fizzy soda water, there is not enough acidity to activate the soda in the mix.

Add 1/2 cup of molasses.

Then add about 1/2 the crumb mixture and pour into a 9" pie shell, and sprinkle the remaining crumbs on top and bake the pie for 15 minutes at 400F and then reduce heat to 325f and bake for another 20-30 minutes, until a knife slipped in the center comes out clean.

If you don't have a pie shell you can just make it like a crustless pie, it is good that way but it is harder to get out of the pan.

The guy you quoted is using sorghum, not straight molasses. It can act quite a bit differently when baking with it compared to molasses. Just a heads up.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Darth Freddy posted:

May be cooking for my girlfriend this new years. Nothing fancy just some steak, decent salad and twice baked potatoes.

Only thing is she has a gas stove and I have never cooked with gas before. So short of loading up the charcoal grill and taking it there. Is there anything I need to know about cooking with gas? Tips tricks? Going to be ribeye and a cast iron grill if that makes any difference.
Made a steak last night so I can say things and know they at least sorta work.

When you say "cast iron grill" do you mean one of these? If so it makes stuff easy.

Put the grill in a cold oven and get the oven up to 500F. Once it hits 500, take the grill out and put it over as many high-heat burners as you can. Coat steaks in oil (peanut is fun, but that's just me), SNP, and place them on the grill for 30 seconds per side, not moving them once they're down. After the sear, transfer steaks back to the oven, 2 minutes per side and you can probably figure the rest from there.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
My dad got this huge meat thing from a friend, but all it says on it is Certified Angus Beef. Any ideas what cut this is? We want to cook it for new years but I have no idea how

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kind of looks like hanger steak to me.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Kind of looks like hanger steak to me.
Grain looks funny for a primal of what I'd call a hanger.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like this line:

...divides the primal into two sections with a layer of fat between them. If that's accurate, then that's a brisket with the cap on.

SubG fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 28, 2011

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Need more pics, preferably with some size reference. Brisket seems like a good thought but I can't really see.. it's too fatty to be an eye round, could be a shoulder clod, probably a brisket given that much fat.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

SubG posted:

...divides the primal into two sections with a layer of fat between them. If that's accurate, then that's a brisket with the cap on.

That's what I would say too. Seeing a profile shot would help a great deal.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Somebody got a good recipe for a lemon meringue pie?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Mofette posted:

I have 14 different gins and I don't want to ruin the cocktail thread with gin bollocks though...

Please do.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Alfajor posted:

Help me, Goons with Spoons! I'm going to a potluck surprise birthday/new year's party, and the host has laid down the rules as:

My last name begins with an A, so was thinking of bringing something with Arugula, Avocado, Artichoke and/or Asparagus. I have no clue how to make a dish out of this though :haw:. I could also play it cool and bring an "Asian version of" something along those lines. What should I make?

If you aren't afraid of bringing/cooking indian food, I'd go with Aloo Gobi (cauliflower and potato curry). That would definitely be vegan as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.
I have a huge amount of cured ham. Aside from making ham and split pea soup what else can I do with it?