Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
The Cydiahelp chart lists 250 per page by default, it goes on past L, just hit Next.

quote:

PdaNet 5.30 Partially Needs to turn on Wi-Fi (but its already open) USB Tethering works (Need to download the desktop software)

e: vv No clue, just copied the entry text

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

adm posted:

The Cydiahelp chart lists 250 per page by default, it goes on past L, just hit Next.
Thanks; had to reload the page to see the "next" link. What does "Needs to turn on Wi-Fi (but its already open)" mean? You have to open it and then turn on wifi?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

dexter6 posted:

I hope they don't blow it on iOS6 when iPhone 5Gs and iOS7 are right around the corner.

Replacing "Not Charging" with "Not Charging (xx%)" is my killer-app.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Because I'm lazy and a procrastinator I'm still running 4.3.3 on my iPhone 4, and still don't feel like updating right now. I have my SHSH blobs backed up for 5.0.x - does this protect me from the release of 5.0.2, or are SHSH blobs still useless for iOS 5?

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 28, 2011

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006
Intensely, it liberates with the heart which shines the fortress of thee ascent

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Because I'm lazy and a procrastinator I'm still running 4.3.3 on my iPhone 4, and still don't feel like updating right now. I have my SHSH blobs backed up for 5.0.x - does this protect me from the release of 5.0.2, or are SHSH blobs still useless for iOS 5?

They're useless. What you need to back up now is the APticket.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I assume that I should just try later if I can't update any packages in Cydia? Jailbroke just fine on an iphone 4.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Cythrelo posted:

They're useless. What you need to back up now is the APticket.

What program would you recommend to backup the APticket?

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006
Intensely, it liberates with the heart which shines the fortress of thee ascent
I use iFaith myself. It should back it up automatically.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Is Cidya (Bigboss especially) still getting slammed? I had to restore to 4.3.3 last night and used jailbreakme.com for my JB, everything seemed to go okay with that. I haven't added any other repos and I have had no luck trying to install SBSettings, I keep getting a internal time out error when trying to install. Also, Cydia keeps trying to update itself and I keep getting this error when the install takes place. Is there something I did wrong?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Cydia is going to be getting slammed for the next couple of days.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

jojoinnit posted:

I have a quick question: I have an unlocked 4 and I travel internationally so it's crucial that I be able to swap out sim cards. After a year and a half, my iPhones getting laggy and stuff, it's still on OS 4.0. I never cared about updating, but now I can't even update to the latest version of the Awful app because it requires 4.3.

In my position, would you keep it as is to ensure the precious baseband unlock, or is there an easy way to update it to at least 4.3?

Edit: I guess what I actually want is a way to restore it without changing anything. I really just want to clear out the bugginess and lag. I didn't realise how bad it was until I used a friends iphone 4 on 4.3 and it was lightning fast with app switching and scrolling. I often have Safari freeze for half a minute at a time, with it also crashing to desktop half the time when that happens.

Still wondering if anyone has some good advice on what to do, now that I'm exactly a generation of iOS behind.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

jojoinnit posted:

Still wondering if anyone has some good advice on what to do, now that I'm exactly a generation of iOS behind.

What kind of unlock does your iPhone have? It is done by Ultrasn0w you can just use any of the jailbreak tools to strip out the baseband update on the firmware and you are updated to a newer iOS and still have your old baseband unlock.

If you are using any other more janky options I am not sure what the solution is for you.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Djarum posted:

What kind of unlock does your iPhone have? It is done by Ultrasn0w you can just use any of the jailbreak tools to strip out the baseband update on the firmware and you are updated to a newer iOS and still have your old baseband unlock.

If you are using any other more janky options I am not sure what the solution is for you.

Its the original day one jailbreak and unlock for 4.0/4.01, when you went to the jailbreak website and ran a script that gave root access so you could install Cydia from the site. It's a complete unlock and jailbreak that was only possible on the very first iPhone 4's because it honestly was a horrible backdoor that shouldn't have been left open.

That's why I'm not sure what the best upgrade path is that won't lose my precious unlock. I can live without bitesms and all the goodies, but if I can't switch sim cards easily then I'll have to buy another phone for when I travel.

Edit: Forget all that, this is what I have: http://thebigboss.org/official-ios4-jailbreak-out

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 28, 2011

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

jojoinnit posted:

Its the original day one jailbreak and unlock for 4.0/4.01, when you went to the jailbreak website and ran a script that gave root access so you could install Cydia from the site. It's a complete unlock and jailbreak that was only possible on the very first iPhone 4's because it honestly was a horrible backdoor that shouldn't have been left open.

That's why I'm not sure what the best upgrade path is that won't lose my precious unlock. I can live without bitesms and all the goodies, but if I can't switch sim cards easily then I'll have to buy another phone for when I travel.

Edit: Forget all that, this is what I have: http://thebigboss.org/official-ios4-jailbreak-out

Ok then you are fine. You are using Ultrasn0w. Just use any of the jailbreak tools, select to preserve your baseband and create a new ipsw. Once you are updated to 5.0.1 (or whatever else you decide on) you can then reinstall ultrasn0w via Cydia and your unlock is working same as it ever did.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Djarum posted:

Ok then you are fine. You are using Ultrasn0w. Just use any of the jailbreak tools, select to preserve your baseband and create a new ipsw. Once you are updated to 5.0.1 (or whatever else you decide on) you can then reinstall ultrasn0w via Cydia and your unlock is working same as it ever did.

Thanks! :tipshat:

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
Any known work around for iBooks not working? Seems a long shot but I miss the app already.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Is IntelliscreenX really that much better than LockInfo?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

deathmerc posted:

Any known work around for iBooks not working? Seems a long shot but I miss the app already.

Jailbreak using sn0wbreeze, install the Corona via Cydia and then reboot the phone using iBooty. It will work until you reboot. Not a perfect solution yet but it works like a charm.

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious
Can somebody point me in the direction to jailbreak and unlock and iphone 3G on 3.1.3? It's been awhile since I've done this.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I've been jailbreaking my iPhones for forever. But, I have the 4s, so it isn't jailbroken.

Buuut, I just got an iPad 1, so this new jailbreak is tempting. But, I'm wondering, is it really worth it? The iPad 1 isn't quite as snappy as an iPhone 4s or iPad 2, so I'm really worried about performance issues because it already isn't super fast. And thinking about it, I'm thinking the only two jailbroken apps I would make use of is LockInfo and the app that makes iPhone only apps look a little better on the iPad.

Somebody talk me into it.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I've never really come across a way to backup the layout of icons on the Springboard, until now. Are most people aware that it's just as easy as backing up your private/var/mobile/Library/SpringBoard/IconState.plist file? It worked beautifully after updating from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1

edit: I feel like it's something that belongs in the OP/2ndP

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 29, 2011

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

89 posted:

I've been jailbreaking my iPhones for forever. But, I have the 4s, so it isn't jailbroken.

Buuut, I just got an iPad 1, so this new jailbreak is tempting. But, I'm wondering, is it really worth it? The iPad 1 isn't quite as snappy as an iPhone 4s or iPad 2, so I'm really worried about performance issues because it already isn't super fast. And thinking about it, I'm thinking the only two jailbroken apps I would make use of is LockInfo and the app that makes iPhone only apps look a little better on the iPad.

It's free and easy, and a JBed iPad isn't gonna be any faster, but I havent noticed a speed hit. Get the right Cydia apps (RetinaPad, as you mentioned, Activator and SBSettings are some of my must haves) and it really is like a new machine.

Do yourself a favor; do it.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Arrowsmith posted:

It's free and easy, and a JBed iPad isn't gonna be any faster, but I havent noticed a speed hit. Get the right Cydia apps (RetinaPad, as you mentioned, Activator and SBSettings are some of my must haves) and it really is like a new machine.

Do yourself a favor; do it.
Ok, you talked me into it. Just loaded up RetinaPad and yeah. It's worth it for that alone, heh. :) One of the best apps I've ever seen in the jailbreak world. Works perfect.

Any jailbroken app to force apps into landscape mode? I pretty much exclusively use my iPad in landscape mode.

89 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 29, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

89 posted:

I'm loving dying for a 4S jailbreak. :smithicide:

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Has anyone had this issue with SBSettings: I re JB'ed my iphone 4 with 4.3.3 firmware and installed SBSettings. I configured it to how I used to have it, but it just. doesn't. work. I can't swipe at the top of the screen and make the menu drop down (and if I try to swipe twice, the phone reboots). And when SBSetting installs, Activator comes with it. However, if I try to open Activator, I am always told that I am in Safe Mode and need to restart. Anybody have any suggestions?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Djarum posted:

Got it all untethered and unlocked on 5.0.1 thanks to you.

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!
Finally! If the iPhone made my life easier, jailbreaking it makes it much more easier!
Lockinfo is awesome, I bought a license yesterday. I have clock and weather on my lock screen, as well as my next 3 meetings and appointments.
Need a flashlight? I just shake my phone!
I don't have to double press the home button to get the camera button on the lockscreen, its always there now, AND it doesn't take me to the regular camera, it takes me to Camera+ which is the best camera app there is!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Still nothing for an iPad2, huh? :( It was 4.3.5 when I got it, so I've never been lucky enough to jailbreak. What is it that makes it so much more difficult for those?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm loving dying for a 4S jailbreak. :smithicide:

:smith::hf::smithicide:

My MyWi, my RetinaPad, my FolderEnhancer, my My3G, my NavigateFromMaps :qq:

iOS5: so close to everything I need want for my 4s and pad2, and yet so far.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Kakumei posted:

Still nothing for an iPad2, huh? :( It was 4.3.5 when I got it, so I've never been lucky enough to jailbreak. What is it that makes it so much more difficult for those?

The current jailbreak for iOS 5.0.1 is for A4 based devices and below, those same tricks and exploits won't work on A5 devices such as iPad 2s and iPhone 4Ses.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

jojoinnit posted:

Got it all untethered and unlocked on 5.0.1 thanks to you.

Glad I could help.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Other then iBooks is anyone having any issues with other apps?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
FakeClockUp is the greatest thing if you don't have an iPad 2 or iPhone 4S. Set the speed to about 1.6x and you've got a brand new iOS device it moves so fast.

Over The Road
Jan 6, 2006
Le singe est sur la branche
I upgraded my jailbroken iPad 1 Wifi from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 through iTunes, ran the newest Redsnow and everything seems to be working fine, got Retinapad and Sbsettings installed.

When running Redsnow I didn't tick the box for "enable multitasking gestures" because 5.0.1 added the feature for iPad 1. I now can't find the option anywhere in settings to enable them.

Am I being incredibly dumb and missing something obvious? I've tried to re-run Redsnow but it won't work now.

Any tips goons? I've come to love multitasking gestures. Do I need to restore through iTunes and start the whole process again?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

89 posted:

Like others have said, just doing a jailbreak won't slow things down.

In fact, when you jailbreak, there are two things I recommend for 256 Meg devices (such as the iPad 1 or 3GS):

* "SBSettings" with free memory shown next to the clock (so you know how much RAM is available before you try to launch something).
* "KillBackground" - you're a one-button-press away from closing everything in the Task Switcher. It closes all suspended apps, and removes all recently-used apps. A quick way to free up RAM.

Both work great in iOS 5.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Just jailbroke, phone rebooted fine opened cydia phone had a kernal panic then reset, backlight is still on but theres no apple logo and it won't get into DFU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

nerdrum posted:

Just jailbroke, phone rebooted fine opened cydia phone had a kernal panic then reset, backlight is still on but theres no apple logo and it won't get into DFU

Hard reboot? (Home and sleep buttons held together until phone turns off)

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I jailbroke my 3GS. Things seemed to work fine, until I rebooted.

Reboot 1: Safari failed to load. Cydia failed to load. All other jailbreak apps (BytaFont, SBSettings, etc) failed to load. MobileSubstrate was not loaded. It was like I was no longer jailbroken.

Reboot 2: Things worked fine, again.

I used redsn0w_win_0.9.10b2.

Any idea why things would work/stop/work like that?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

89 posted:

FakeClockUp is the greatest thing if you don't have an iPad 2 or iPhone 4S. Set the speed to about 1.6x and you've got a brand new iOS device it moves so fast.

FakeClockUp is awesome and I run it at 1.6 also. Does it seem to drain your battery life a little faster?

e: http://hitoriblog.com/apt/ for those interested

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

89 posted:

This is a great tweak and I've never considered how long all those little animations take until now. 1.6x does seem to be the sweet spot between speed and visual feedback for me too.

• Locked thread