Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

Thumposaurus posted:

You can drop fill the poly finishes on modern guitars with super glue. You want a medium viscosity type and put a drop on the spot that needs built up and let it dry. Repeat until filled up the wet sand it flush and polish it.

Thanks a lot! Pretentious Turtle too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm

(for the dude on the last page)

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I'm using a Zoom H4n as a USB interface into Record as a DAW. It seems from what I've read they're not the most reliable, and I've definitely noticed latency accumulating as time goes on. Can I just shrink the buffer size in Record, or is this more of a hardware problem and not fixable in software?

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
did anyone get one of those behringer copy pedals? i've been thinking about getting their boss hm-2 copy maybe their ehx dmm copy later

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
How are the Danlectro pedals? I know they're plastic, and probably not good for gigging. But how about otherwise? Best Buy seems to have them all on sale for $4.99 to $9.99. Places like GC and such all seem to have them listed at $30-40 a pedal still.

Would they be worth it just for the parts for DIY pedals down the road?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I like them personally I've never had a problem with them being plastic from a reliability standpoint.
They won't be very good for DIY stuff though they are almost all surface mount stuff under the hoods.
For 4.99-9.99 I'd get one of each one they have.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Wait what link?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...tegories&ks=960
HOLY FLURCKING SCHMIT.

Man, and here I thought the full line of Cool Cats I got was a bargain.

Wax On
Mar 22, 2007

drop a bat beat
Are there any DAW's that allow you to place markers on individual tracks? Live allows you to place markers along the timeline but I'm looking for something a little more involved, specifically for editing music and sound to video.

I've been using Ableton Live for about seven years now and have occasionally looked at Cubase as the next step but up until now I haven't had any real reason to switch.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
I'll be recording classical guitar in an empty 250 seat performance hall. What's the best mic setup for this? I have stereo pairs of Beyerdynamic CK930s and Studio Project B3s, plus misc other mics.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Warcabbit posted:

Wait what link?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...tegories&ks=960
HOLY FLURCKING SCHMIT.

Man, and here I thought the full line of Cool Cats I got was a bargain.

Oh christ, like I don't have enough Dano pedals. Oh, they're all sold out online. That's...good, I guess.

drat.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
You can punch your zip code in, in the box on the left, to see if there's any stores near you.

There weren't any stores near me, but there were stores near a guy I know so I'm getting me some sweet black licorice. No chili dogs, though. Shame, wanted one of them.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I...actually did it for the three zip codes in Eastern PA that I frequent. No dice :(

e: Goddammit edit != quote

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I got my first wah pedal not too long ago and I just need to know, is it normal for the pedal to drop when I take my foot off of it or should it stay in the position I leave it in?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It depends on the pedal. Is it a Morley?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

If its a Crybaby, you can easily adjust the resistance - http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/143437-crybaby-adjust-tension-resistance.html

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

DrChu posted:

If its a Crybaby, you can easily adjust the resistance - http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/143437-crybaby-adjust-tension-resistance.html

It is a Crybaby, thanks for that link, I'll have to try that.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm trying to get the hang of recording and mixing so as a test I've tried recording the different guitar tracks of Christmas Time by The Darkness. What's hard is getting all the parts to sound clear. As an example, here is the ending:

How should I try recording these bits, and what should I look out for?

I'm recording through a Zoom G9.2tt board plugged into my Windows PC by USB and using Cubase.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
I have this song I listen to a lot that has some parts where it will only play in the left or right speaker, is there an easy way to edit the song so that these parts are audible in both speakers? (Possibly with reduced volume in the opposite one)

It's really annoying when I'm listening to it while wearing headphones. :shobon:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

My uncle gave me his old wah pedal, a dunlop crybaby.

Are these things supposed to be really quiet when you engage them? This is... pretttttty quiet.

e: :downs: I take out old battery put old battery back in. It work now, yes?

No. It doesn't. New battery = works fine.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 28, 2011

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

feraltennisprodigy posted:

I have this song I listen to a lot that has some parts where it will only play in the left or right speaker, is there an easy way to edit the song so that these parts are audible in both speakers? (Possibly with reduced volume in the opposite one)

It's really annoying when I'm listening to it while wearing headphones. :shobon:

First thing I can think of is to make an duplicate audio file, then flip the channels so you have a reverse of the original. Mix this to your original file with both at half volume, and you should have everything "centered".

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You could try summing it to mono too (whatever you're listening to it with might have a mono button), or if you're comfortable using Reaper you can throw on the JS:LOSER_StereoFieldManipulator plugin and adjust the Width slide to taste (you could even automate it so it just affects the parts of the song that are annoying you). Ask me how!

I have a couple of other ideas involving Mid/Side stereo bullshit but I'm not sure how you'd do them easily

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
Thanks, I'll give those methods a shot. :)

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Boz0r posted:

I'm trying to get the hang of recording and mixing so as a test I've tried recording the different guitar tracks of Christmas Time by The Darkness. What's hard is getting all the parts to sound clear. As an example, here is the ending:

How should I try recording these bits, and what should I look out for?

I'm recording through a Zoom G9.2tt board plugged into my Windows PC by USB and using Cubase.

Try using some EQ treatment in Cubase to give each guitar track its own slice of the frequency spectrum. That is to say, give the rhythm guitar a little EQ boost in the low end, and on the other guitars, cut some low end and emphasize the midrange and high frequencies.

Also, pan the guitar parts differently in the mix.

You can also experiment with giving each guitar part its own tone (different pickup selected, different amp model and effects). Make good notes of what settings you used for the different parts in case you want to go back and re-record something and have the tone match.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Is there any reliable online price guide (that's free to use) that can tell me what a vintage guitar is worth? I've googled quite a bit and everything brings me to places to buy books or subscribe to a service. I find ebay is not the best way to get a general idea what something is worth because there's a whole lot of price gouging on everything there.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I've got a $50 Groupon to Guitar Center that unfortunately doesn't stack with any other coupons, can't use on used or clearance, or basically anything to make the deal better. So, I wanna use it on something that never goes on sale anyway. Any suggestions?

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

DrChu posted:

I've got a $50 Groupon to Guitar Center that unfortunately doesn't stack with any other coupons, can't use on used or clearance, or basically anything to make the deal better. So, I wanna use it on something that never goes on sale anyway. Any suggestions?

Ooo, how much did you get this for?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I r Pat posted:

Ooo, how much did you get this for?

$25. It was a few months back and expires in a couple of days so I should probably move on it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Stock up on strings. I buy use Elixirs so something like that would be a godsend.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Stock up on strings. I buy use Elixirs so something like that would be a godsend.
I stock up on strings when Elderly has a sale, it comes out to about half the price GC wants even factoring in the groupon.

I should've read the fine print sooner :(

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

Why not use it to pay for a lesson? I can't really see those going on sale, and it's always nice to get a professional's perspective, especially if you are a beginner. Of course, I don't know how good the instructors are at your GC, but I remember my dad (fairly novice) got a couple stand alone lessons when he went on a business trips to cities with Guitar Centers, and found it to be a fun thing even if it was only a one shot deal.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Any good free sources of rhythm/beat loops?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Does any one have any resources on learning to play accordion? I already play guitar and bass but key boards are brand new to me as well as the whole squeezing to make nose thing.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
This may be really dumb but, can an old guitar string cause intonation problems?

I'm having a big problem with just one string. It's about 15 cents too high at the 12th fret, and the bridge is pulled back as far as possible. Noticeably further back than it has been in the past with no problem.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

This may be really dumb but, can an old guitar string cause intonation problems?

I'm having a big problem with just one string. It's about 15 cents too high at the 12th fret, and the bridge is pulled back as far as possible. Noticeably further back than it has been in the past with no problem.

I'd say yes, since worn string get uneven in their weight distribution over extended amounts of playing.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah if you have really old strings they are most likely all dented up where they get pressed against the frets.
Intonation is always best set with a fresh set of strings.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks for the info. Changing the strings now, but :blush: I forgot about checking the truss rod adjustment. That was the problem.

Forkboy
Mar 2, 2005
LORD OF THE PANTS
Studio question! How do I toddler-proof my studio monitors? In a couple of weeks I'm going to be a brand-new dad to an adopted girl from China, she'll be about 16 months old, walking and very active.

My computer / studio area is 1/4 of the living room, because that's the only place I can put my crap. Here is a picture of the rough arrangement, the monitors are pretty heavy suckers and sit on stands like this, positioned effectively for maximum toddler-smashing leverage if pulled hard enough.

Can I anchor the stands to the wall somehow and anchor the monitors to the stands, or do I just ditch the stands, install shelves in the wall and put them up out of reach?

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
No clue about the monitors, but with all the cables and stuff lying around, maybe the best option would be to put a low fence around everything?

Forkboy
Mar 2, 2005
LORD OF THE PANTS

Pyrthas posted:

No clue about the monitors, but with all the cables and stuff lying around, maybe the best option would be to put a low fence around everything?

The cables are getting tied to the desk posts, so they'll be out of the way and reasonably pull-proof. I'm just worried about her pulling the monitor stand over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Give it a bigger base. Buy some plywood, drill holes in it, massively zip-tie the stand to the holes. (Or bolt if possible.) That way when she grabs it, she'll be standing on the base.

Because that's a good call, kids try to pull themselves up on everything.