Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Spencer has an awesome wall bounce assist I use to extend wolvie combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Ghost Rider's chain assist and Iron Fist's flying kick assist wallbounce as well. Both have very good horizontal range, come out decently fast and aren't too hard to fit into a combo from what I played around with (mainly just using them with Wolverine as a substitute for the old Wolverine + Akuma BFFs bnb.) I haven't played any Cap so I'm not sure if they'd be a good fit for him or not though.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Iron Fist assist wallbounce rules, but Iron Fist is a pretty hard character to use, so I'd stay away from him if I were starting out.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I like the look of nova but which of his assists should I be using?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So who would be a better anchor be for a Nova (Barrier thingee)/Storm (Whirlwind) team, Akuma (Tatsu) or Wesker (Ghost Butterfly)?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Wesker's the best character in the game and Akuma's significantly worse than he was in Penultimate. Choose Wesker.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

flatluigi posted:

Wesker's the best character in the game and Akuma's significantly worse than he was in Penultimate. Choose Wesker.
Uhhh no, Akuma is mostly the same as he was in the original game, barring the health and tatsu nerfs. He's still a good anchor and would probably help Nova a lot. Sure, Wesker is probably the better choice overall as an anchor, but Akuma is definitely still good and would probably help Nova more specifically.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cat Machine posted:

Uhhh no, Akuma is mostly the same as he was in the original game, barring the health and tatsu nerfs. He's still a good anchor and would probably help Nova a lot. Sure, Wesker is probably the better choice overall, but Akuma is definitely still good.

Yeah, I was initially going with Wesker but that Yipes Tech video on IPW seems to think that Tatsu is one of the better assists for him, along with stuff like Strider's Varja and the shopping cart.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 29, 2011

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Justin Wong posted:

I think Akuma is better in this game, which I like.

Air demon flips was a pretty good buff and Tatsu is still a great assist, you just can't end combos with it the same way because of the whole assists no longer ignoring hit stun decay thing.

ScarletOHara
May 21, 2007

Women need not always keep their mouths shut and their wombs open.
Thanks for the advice yall. There were a few games last night where I got zoned out the entire time with no clue how to teleport, I'll work on it. I think I am just going to stick with advised Sent/Wesker/Wolverine. Maybe subbing Wolverine for Dante/anime dog/viewtiful joe (I really like all those guys, I have no idea if they will compliment the team well though.)

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Don't put Sentinel at the start because both Wolverine and Wesker would benefit from Sentinel's drones. I would actually flip the team 180 and do Wolverine/Wesker/Sentinel.

Also Wesker has two ways to teleport - dragon punch motion forwards + any attack and gunshot (forward + H) then press any attack.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cat Machine posted:

Don't put Sentinel at the start because both Wolverine and Wesker would benefit from Sentinel's drones. I would actually flip the team 180 and do Wolverine/Wesker/Sentinel.

Also Wesker has two ways to teleport - dragon punch motion forwards + any attack and gunshot (forward + H) then press any attack.

Well, ANY of his gunshots work to start a teleport (forward + H, DF + H, air DF + H). And isn't one of the big ultimate changes that he can now trigger teleports with his QCF specials?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

You can teleport after his strikes but that's really more of a combo thing than a viable way to teleport around the screen

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

404GoonNotFound posted:

And isn't one of the big ultimate changes that he can now trigger teleports with his QCF specials?

You could actually already teleport like that after QCF M in vanilla, most people don't bother though because it's a lot easier to just dash and continue and you only get one or two extra hits for doing it.

The teleport after QCF L is new but is pretty much only used if you're in the corner and want to use meter to end a combo since phantom dance and certain THCs do a lot more if they're not cornered.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

404GoonNotFound posted:

So who would be a better anchor be for a Nova (Barrier thingee)/Storm (Whirlwind) team, Akuma (Tatsu) or Wesker (Ghost Butterfly)?

Is there any reason whatsoever to not use Wesker's low gunshot? It would especially help Nova and Storm set up hard-to-blockables with their trijumps.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

I like the look of nova but which of his assists should I be using?

Definitely his overhead.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

InnercityGriot posted:

Iron Fist assist wallbounce rules, but Iron Fist is a pretty hard character to use, so I'd stay away from him if I were starting out.

IF's difficulty getting in on good keepaway characters is balanced out by his ability to confirm into insane damage for next to no work, I don't think we're in any danger of seeing twelve IFs in a top 16 but he has the hallmarks of an XBL hero.

Disease
Oct 6, 2011
So since it sounds like we have some Haggar players here - can anyone explain to me the mechanics behind his unblockable against incoming characters? When I come in he just stands on the ground and does a single "violent axe" and it leads to a full combo that does an obscene amount of damage.

Is this some sort of glitch or something? I've tried holding back AND forward it hits me either way. It NEVER looks like he is going under me or crossing me up in any way - he just does that move and it hits no matter what. I saw Bum doing this to people like Noel Brown and RayRay on Bum's stream and I'm pretty sure they know how to block in their way in, but they were all getting torn apart by this move too.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Disease posted:

I saw Bum doing this to people like Noel Brown and RayRay on Bum's stream and I'm pretty sure they know how to block in their way in, but they were all getting torn apart by this move too.

Can you post a link to Bum's stream? I caught him doing some insane Haggar loops a few weeks ago, but never thought to bookmark it.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Phenotype posted:

Can you post a link to Bum's stream? I caught him doing some insane Haggar loops a few weeks ago, but never thought to bookmark it.
http://www.twitch.tv/bum1six3

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Boxman posted:

Is there any reason whatsoever to not use Wesker's low gunshot? It would especially help Nova and Storm set up hard-to-blockables with their trijumps.

Nova already has multiple OTG options, what he really needs is a horizontal assist to help cover his more unsafe entries.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Desk posted a video of some crazy-rear end H&H special cancel combos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSzaCCVke_Y

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Metrohunter posted:

The only wallbounce assists I can think of off the top of my head are Wesker's Ghost Butterfly assist, Nemesis' Clothesline Rocket and Phoenix Wright's boosted up Press The Witness assist. But then if you're using Wesker you might as well just use his Samurai Edge assist to OTG with instead as it's better for that purpose. I don't think Sentinel or Hulk have wallbounces at all, though Nemesis has groundbounces and wallbounces.

e: Nemesis' Clothesline Rocket assist doesn't combo very well midscreen since the rocket will hit them after the wallbounce and they'll drop out afterwards unless you can follow up with something. That said I know the rocket misses the opponent if your opponent is in the corner which should let you follow up. I haven't tried it myself though but it's definitely worth a try. Nemesis has a groundbouncing assist too.

Logtrap is another one, and doesn't Spencer have Armor Piercer as an assist? I actually don't know because every Spencer player either runs him on point or uses Wire Grapple.

edit: okay yeah he does, someone else in the thread talked about it.

also

Disease posted:

So since it sounds like we have some Haggar players here - can anyone explain to me the mechanics behind his unblockable against incoming characters? When I come in he just stands on the ground and does a single "violent axe" and it leads to a full combo that does an obscene amount of damage.

Is this some sort of glitch or something? I've tried holding back AND forward it hits me either way. It NEVER looks like he is going under me or crossing me up in any way - he just does that move and it hits no matter what. I saw Bum doing this to people like Noel Brown and RayRay on Bum's stream and I'm pretty sure they know how to block in their way in, but they were all getting torn apart by this move too.

As far as I can tell it's just a really, really ambiguous crossup. Like he cancels it into Ground pipe at different times and doing this makes it crossup sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I guess Noel Brown has been playing against Bum since early vanilla and he still gets hit by that all the time so it's obviously very hard to block right if you can't double jump or airdash out of it.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 29, 2011

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

AXE COP posted:

So the Doc Ock card basically allows you to become Combofiend.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
So I hate to be that guy but I'm still having trouble fighting Wesker, and need some Pro Tips.

It's more and more becoming the case that I will run train on the first two characters of an opponents team and then either lose to or get much too close to losing against anchor Wesker. Non-Xfactor Wesker still fucks me up pretty good, but is manageable. XF3 Dark Wesker eats me alive like 80% of the time. The only halfway decent technique I've come up with is just use fly with Doom and wait till X factor runs out, which feels incredibly risky everytime I do it considering how fast he moves when I have to inevitably land.

My team right now is Chris/Doom/Skrull. Usually its Skrull going up against Wesker, and I can get lucky with a Meteor Smash into Inferno, but that doesn't seem like a sound strategy.

Assistance?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

My team right now is Hawkeye/Vergil/Sentinel. I like the first two, but I'm not really feeling Sentinel. He's fine as an anchor and his assist is good and all, but I want to try someone else. Is there someone in particular that compliments the Hawkeye and Vergil?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

AXE COP posted:

H&H is such awesome combo video material. :allears:

That Frank stuff was hilarious. I was wondering what he was going to do with Frank and then the 400 spin kicks came out of nowhere.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

Waverhouse posted:

It's more and more becoming the case that I will run train on the first two characters of an opponents team and then either lose to or get much too close to losing against anchor Wesker.
don't let it get to this point, snap wesker in as soon as possible until he's dead because like you said he's going to destroy you if you leave him as the last character to fight. it'll be much easier to snap him in and beat him with the help of your assists than to fight him one on one at the end when he has x-factor.

LJONESRYDA
Oct 7, 2011
Hey me and my bad friends are streaming tonight, if you want to make fun of us click this link.

http://www.twitch.tv/silence201

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

My team right now is Hawkeye/Vergil/Sentinel. I like the first two, but I'm not really feeling Sentinel. He's fine as an anchor and his assist is good and all, but I want to try someone else. Is there someone in particular that compliments the Hawkeye and Vergil?
Since nobody has said it yet, Doom. Any of his three assists can help depending on what you want (beam for quick horizontal coverage, rocks for slow horizontal coverage kind of like drones, and missiles for slow full screen coverage), and he's a really good anchor.

And of course there's Wesker, who doesn't really help Hawkeye much but can help Vergil extend combos I would think, and is probably the best anchor in the game.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

iPodschun posted:

Since nobody has said it yet, Doom. Any of his three assists can help depending on what you want (beam for quick horizontal coverage, rocks for slow horizontal coverage kind of like drones, and missiles for slow full screen coverage), and he's a really good anchor.

Huh, I might just try him on my Nova/Storm team if Akuma doesn't work out.

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Fingercramp streamin some Marvel tonight: http://www.twitch.tv/fingercramp

LJONESRYDA
Oct 7, 2011
I need some advice after last night, I'm doing some very wrong things with Wesker/Hulk/Sent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpTx8EJj3H4&context=C34de429ADOEgsToPDskIwHgvydkyWr5Q556VIdDe1

I just couldn't get in and when I did I was drop crazy.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

LJONESRYDA posted:

I need some advice after last night, I'm doing some very wrong things with Wesker/Hulk/Sent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpTx8EJj3H4&context=C34de429ADOEgsToPDskIwHgvydkyWr5Q556VIdDe1

You are both mashing like crazy. Quit doing MSSSSSSSS whenever you get close with wesker. His standing S is safe on block, but you give up your offensive momentum because it's not special cancelable. Start doing LMH, and if they block it (and especially if they pushblock), cancel the H into teleport and mix them up. If they're blocking too much grab them. In the first match when you got that air throw, you know why you got gunshot xx M teleport? I'm betting it's because you were doing df+H MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Quit that, start visually confirming when stuff hits. There were a bunch of times as Hulk (when Sentinel assist hits, but you jump harmlessly over them because you're just holding up+forward and hitting S) and Sentinel (where you'd land a jump S, land and whiff a cr.M underneath them) where the other guy hands you his character for free and you do nothing with it.

So that's my advice: Play more deliberately. Quit mashing, start taking advantage of opportunities, and maximize your damage when you land a hit. Basically just keep a cool head. Making a conscious effort not to hit any more buttons than are necessary will likely make a big difference by itself. And never guess when you can confirm.

Also, if you're gonna run Hulk in the second spot, there's no reason not to abuse the AA gamma charge assist. That thing owns.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

LJONESRYDA posted:

If you are Wesker in this match, you could hit him every single time he shielded in the first 40 seconds (like 7 times), because he's vulnerable while his hand is stuck out in the air and if you hit him when the shield is out it won't hit you on the way back. After that, Hulk has a horrible horrible match against cap, might as well not bother trying. Sentinel is slightly better since you can beat his shield with some projectile cancelling normals (mainly j.m and j.h to land the hit into a full combo), but still pretty bad because he can pin you easily with shields due to massive size.

Toilet.Duck
Jul 13, 2006
Cleanest ever!
Lower your APM and do some constructive offense, M>S is your only means off attack outside of assist + gunshot teleport. There's no attempt at frame traps or throws just M>S so there's no mixup.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
Are there any youtube videos of Magneto/Strange using attraction/gravitation + Eye of Agamotto assist? I want to show people how to use this combination but I don't want to be redundant.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I'm still not really feeling Vergil despite him being my slot 2 on my main team and getting some decent mileage with him. Overall I have the same basic gameplan with him as I do Wesker in terms of teleports and fishing for airgrabs, but I just don't feel confident playing him yet and I often spend several meters on spiral swords for the extra protection they give. I can't really say I've had this with any other character either.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Max just put his first episode of Season 2 of Assist Me! featuring Deadpool. Seems a two parter.

If I'm ever complimented online, it's always been about my Deadpool. I'm very mindful about spamming guns and gifts because it leaves you so open to many things when you miss. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together is going to have some sort of idea on how to get past you if that's all you're doin' and it's the main reason why I think he works best when you don't just zone or rush, but mix it up in equal measure until you find what works best.

I put a ton of time on the character because I suffer from character loyalty. He's just so fun to play.

Metrohunter posted:

I'm still not really feeling Vergil despite him being my slot 2 on my main team and getting some decent mileage with him. Overall I have the same basic gameplan with him as I do Wesker in terms of teleports and fishing for airgrabs, but I just don't feel confident playing him yet and I often spend several meters on spiral swords for the extra protection they give. I can't really say I've had this with any other character either.

I feel much the same. My problem stems from him not being allowed to miss anything and needing to be covered by an assist when blocked, since everything he does has a long recovery time. I gotta start using Devil Trigger more often, since it allows you to cancel whiffed moves with a special to make 'em safe, along with all the other benefits. I almost never use swords special because I don't know any combos with them and the BnBs I know all get hosed up when they're out. :(

Lothire fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I feel like H&H has turned into some combination of Fin Fang Foom + Sabretooth with either Hulk or Haggar on point.

• Locked thread