Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Longinus00 posted:

Why do you think they weren't?

System information says the display adapter is unknown or something like that. Hardware drivers show nothing installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Shaocaholica posted:

System information says the display adapter is unknown or something like that. Hardware drivers show nothing installed.

That information is worthless.

code:
dmesg | grep drm
VVV

As you can see it's loading the open source radeon driver. To check if hardware acceleration is working or not run glxheads or something.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 25, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Here you go:

code:
[   21.163507] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
[   21.228401] [drm] radeon defaulting to kernel modesetting.
[   21.228414] [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
[   21.234640] [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (RV100 0x1002:0x4C59 0x0E11:0xB111).
[   21.234694] [drm] register mmio base: 0x40200000
[   21.234698] [drm] register mmio size: 65536
[   21.235161] [drm] Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 1 (10.10.2010).
[   21.235167] [drm] Driver supports precise vblank timestamp query.
[   21.235200] [drm] radeon: irq initialized.
[   21.235576] [drm] Detected VRAM RAM=128M, BAR=128M
[   21.235585] [drm] RAM width 64bits DDR
[   21.235858] [drm] radeon: 32M of VRAM memory ready
[   21.235865] [drm] radeon: 256M of GTT memory ready.
[   21.264864] [drm] Loading R100 Microcode
[   21.270678] [drm] radeon: ring at 0x0000000060001000
[   21.270707] [drm] ring test succeeded in 1 usecs
[   21.271111] [drm] radeon: ib pool ready.
[   21.271290] [drm] ib test succeeded in 0 usecs
[   21.271710] [drm] Panel ID String: Samsung LTN150P1-L02    
[   21.271716] [drm] Panel Size 1400x1050
[   21.282753] [drm] radeon legacy LVDS backlight initialized
[   21.302798] [drm] Radeon Display Connectors
[   21.302806] [drm] Connector 0:
[   21.302811] [drm]   VGA
[   21.302817] [drm]   DDC: 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60
[   21.302821] [drm]   Encoders:
[   21.302825] [drm]     CRT1: INTERNAL_DAC1
[   21.302829] [drm] Connector 1:
[   21.302833] [drm]   LVDS
[   21.302836] [drm]   Encoders:
[   21.302840] [drm]     LCD1: INTERNAL_LVDS
[   21.302843] [drm] Connector 2:
[   21.302847] [drm]   S-video
[   21.302850] [drm]   Encoders:
[   21.302853] [drm]     TV1: INTERNAL_DAC2
[   21.323844] [drm] Radeon display connector VGA-1: No monitor connected or invalid EDID
[   21.396943] [drm] fb mappable at 0x48040000
[   21.396949] [drm] vram apper at 0x48000000
[   21.396953] [drm] size 1478656
[   21.396957] [drm] fb depth is 8
[   21.396960] [drm]    pitch is 1408
[   21.401367] fbcon: radeondrmfb (fb0) is primary device
[   21.402026] fb0: radeondrmfb frame buffer device
[   21.402030] drm: registered panic notifier
[   21.402052] [drm] Initialized radeon 2.10.0 20080528 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 0

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
This is probably long shot, but is there a compression+archiving format which allows random access, preserves unix owner/group ids and permissions, and is well supported across Linux/Mac/Windows? The archive will be storing about 200-300 gigabytes of data and only a few files (10-20 megabytes) at a time would need to be extracted, so random access (by which extraction of a few files without extracting the whole archive) is required. Good old tar.gz preserves owner and permissions, but extraction from the tar requires the whole thing to be decompressed. Zip is nice and randomly accessible, and Info-ZIP is widely ported, but viewing an Info-ZIP archive created on Mac OS X with 7-zip on windows 7 does not show the permissions, though using CLI infozip on OS X and linux does show the permissions. Only thing missing with Zip is the owner.

Is there a format which ticks the boxes?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

xPanda posted:

This is probably long shot, but is there a compression+archiving format which allows random access, preserves unix owner/group ids and permissions, and is well supported across Linux/Mac/Windows? The archive will be storing about 200-300 gigabytes of data and only a few files (10-20 megabytes) at a time would need to be extracted, so random access (by which extraction of a few files without extracting the whole archive) is required. Good old tar.gz preserves owner and permissions, but extraction from the tar requires the whole thing to be decompressed. Zip is nice and randomly accessible, and Info-ZIP is widely ported, but viewing an Info-ZIP archive created on Mac OS X with 7-zip on windows 7 does not show the permissions, though using CLI infozip on OS X and linux does show the permissions. Only thing missing with Zip is the owner.

Can you instead gzip your files and tar those?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Is gzip a block or stream compression algorithm when used on a file? I thought gzip zipped in discrete blocks for some reason..

Edit: Oh wait, never mind, I'm thinking of bzip2. If you can find a program that can handle .tar.bz2 files in a random-access manner that would be cool.

Socket Ryanist fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 26, 2011

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

xPanda posted:

Most archiving formats don't preserve any file metadata beyond a timestamp. Can you use a utility like metastore to back up and restore this information more portably?

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

xPanda posted:

Why do all the smaller files need to be in one big rear end ZIP file? Why can't they sit on a file system somewhere?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

xPanda posted:

I don't know how well it scales to large filesystems, but SquashFS compresses using zlib and preserves everything since it's a filesystem and not an archive format. You could keep it as a file even by mounting with -o loop

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I was trying to hold out and stick with the old GNOME on my Debian 6.0 laptop...somewhere along the line when it updated, it looks like it stripped out the old style preferences menu option. So I had to add a launcher for it, and now I've got the GNOME-3 style settings. Ugh.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should go Arch, FreeBSD, or CentOS 6. I've got one day (well, evening) left of vacation so why not waste it re-installing.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I was trying to hold out and stick with the old GNOME on my Debian 6.0 laptop...somewhere along the line when it updated, it looks like it stripped out the old style preferences menu option. So I had to add a launcher for it, and now I've got the GNOME-3 style settings. Ugh.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should go Arch, FreeBSD, or CentOS 6. I've got one day (well, evening) left of vacation so why not waste it re-installing.

If you are switching to keep with gnome2, keep in mind that Arch only has it in the form of MATE right now (from the AUR or a third-party repo maintained by the developers.)

I'd like to take this opportunity to plug Openbox + tint2 as a decent WM for anyone looking for something new - it's very lightweight, configuration is done through several xml files that are somewhat easy to understand and have great documentation (or GUI tools, but those don't let you get too detailed in your configuration) and has tons and tons of minimalistic, easy-on-the-eyes themes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

text editor posted:

If you are switching to keep with gnome2, keep in mind that Arch only has it in the form of MATE right now (from the AUR or a third-party repo maintained by the developers.)

I was actually going to install LXDE or XFCE, but after starting the install process of Arch, I don't have the time to learn another distro. I'm installing Ubuntu 10.04 LTS right now, I should have a ton of downtime at work tomorrow so I'll probably just drag my laptop with me and play around with it there.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

xPanda posted:

If you're storing that much data in that many files, it honestly sounds like an archive is the wrong way to go regardless. What's wrong with just keeping them in the filesystem?

If you absolutely must pack them and don't need compatibility with non-Linux OSes, consider making a CROMFS or SquashFS image from them (and then mounting with -oloop) - this will get you random access and better compression than zip or gz, at the cost of not being able to update the archive in-place.

If you also need updating, consider making a btrfs filesystem with compression enabled and using that.

What's the underlying problem you're trying to solve?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I've got an issue waking up from suspend from an old laptop and I'm not sure how to go about figuring out whats going wrong since the whole machine is hardlocked(?) when trying to wakeup.

The machine in question is a Compaq n600c. The distro is Xubuntu 11.10.

It seems to suspend fine. The battery/power LED indicates suspend and the fan switches off.

When I wake up the system, the battery/power LED changes to power-on but the screen remains off. Its not even black, its totally off. Also, there is no hard drive activity even if I start entering commands on the keyboard. Pressing the power button does not re-suspend the system nor does it generate any hard drive activity.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Hi there, this seems the best place to ask.

So I've been trying to install the Android SDK. Which seems simple enough... almost too simple. I go to the terminal and try it out and as expected it cannot find the adb command.

A bit of googling reveals I need to link it to the $PATH (I'm not sure what this is exactly but it seems to just be a list of directories with terminal executables in it) with the following command.
code:
export PATH=$PATH:<directory-path>
Great, this works! But only in that one terminal. Suddenly not so great.
I managed to get what I needed done, but I assume there must be someway to make it permanent? How do I do this?

I'm currently running Mint if that matters (although given the amount of problems its given me I'll probably be changing soon, even if I do have to spend more time initially getting stuff to work).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shanakin posted:

A bit of googling reveals I need to link it to the $PATH (I'm not sure what this is exactly but it seems to just be a list of directories with terminal executables in it) with the following command.
code:
I managed to get what I needed done, but I assume there must be someway to make it permanent? How do I do this?

There is a line that sets your path in your /home/shanakin/.bashrc or /home/shanakin/.bash_profile file. Just change it there and log back in.

http://wiki.debian.org/EnvironmentVariables

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Shanakin posted:

Hi there, this seems the best place to ask.

So I've been trying to install the Android SDK. Which seems simple enough... almost too simple. I go to the terminal and try it out and as expected it cannot find the adb command.

code:

I'm currently running Mint if that matters (although given the amount of problems its given me I'll probably be changing soon, even if I do have to spend more time initially getting stuff to work).
Put it in your .bashrc

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
As I didn't seem to have the file in that directory I just created it, seems to work.

Thanks!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I put that in a "android.sh" which I put in /etc/profile.d (RHEL) so it works for all users.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Is there a linux program that will nicely "import" AVCHD video files from digital cameras?

I just have no way of conveniently organizing them. The camera creates a directory structure like so:
code:
&#9492;&#9472;&#9472; AVCHD
    &#9500;&#9472;&#9472; AVCHDTN
    &#9500;&#9472;&#9472; BDMV
    &#9474;   &#9500;&#9472;&#9472; CLIPINF
    &#9474;   &#9500;&#9472;&#9472; PLAYLIST
    &#9474;   &#9492;&#9472;&#9472; STREAM
    &#9492;&#9472;&#9472; IISVPL
All the MTS video files are inside STREAM, but I feel like I should be keeping that other data. And since my dumb camera starts numbering files from zero each time it finds an empty directory, I can't easily dump them all in one folder.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Can I just say that I LOVE xfce?

I hope it doesn't get gummed up to gently caress like gnome has.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

nitrogen posted:

It's been pretty consistently good for years, so don't worry.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I just came across an odd thing.

In Xubuntu 11.10 on a 1.2ghz P3, I should have been able to play a SD mpeg4 video file fine but it would drop frames like crazy using the default parole player.

Today, I was messing around with compiz and once enabled, no more dropped frames.

Whats going on?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

I just came across an odd thing.

In Xubuntu 11.10 on a 1.2ghz P3, I should have been able to play a SD mpeg4 video file fine but it would drop frames like crazy using the default parole player.

Today, I was messing around with compiz and once enabled, no more dropped frames.

Whats going on?

What video card? HW acceleration of some sort was probably activated...

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

What video card? HW acceleration of some sort was probably activated...

It was a laptop, Mobility Radeon 32mb. It think its the very first mobility radeon based on the R100.

A 1.2ghz P3 should have had more than enough processing power to decode a SD mpeg4 file.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

nitrogen posted:

I gave xfce a shot since I didn't want to use gnome 3.2 but I couldn't accept it. I'm using gnome 3.2 fallback mode and it feels good man. :shobon:

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

nitrogen posted:

That was my move as well with the demise of GNOME.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Blowing away a perfectly fine install of Ubuntu 10.04 to try Arch.

My biggest fear with a rolling release is that one day I'll do the usual updates and BAM there goes support for my video card or something.

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

Bob Morales posted:

My biggest fear with a rolling release is that one day I'll do the usual updates and BAM there goes support for my video card or something.

That is somewhat my thought as well. On the other side, I've never had a problem dist-upgrading Ubuntu yet. So I don't have a huge need to build a whole system from scratch like that. Plus, whenever I play with Arch, I can't get it all nice and polished like Ubuntu or even Fedora.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I'm following the Arch beginners guide and I need to pick a window manager. I've previous had issues with Ubuntu and Xubuntu not playing back video at full speed because the window manager(?) was not working optimally(?).

Can I use compiz with Xfce or is that a bad idea? I don't really care for compiz. I just want a window manager that will give me the fastest video performance if such a thing is really affected by the window manager.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

So I'm following the Arch beginners guide and I need to pick a window manager. I've previous had issues with Ubuntu and Xubuntu not playing back video at full speed because the window manager(?) was not working optimally(?).

Can I use compiz with Xfce or is that a bad idea? I don't really care for compiz. I just want a window manager that will give me the fastest video performance if such a thing is really affected by the window manager.

Trying to make that same decision myself. LXDM worked but I think I'm going to just go with GDM and XFCE4.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Can some one walk me through or point me in the right direction here.

I have a linode VPS running debian that hosts lots of stupid stuff for myself, but also hosts a wordpress blog for a technology-clueless friend.

I would like to scrap the install and start over, but I want to make sure I backup their site and can bring it back online. What is the best method to do this? I am vaguely aware you can do a mysql dump/import, but then you could also copy the db file out of /var/lib/mysql (or whatever it is), right?

Do I need to save the wordpress install, or can I just install a fresh wordpress and point it to the info from the old db?

Thank you for any advice. I really shouldn't be in charge of this :p.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Can some one walk me through or point me in the right direction here.

I have a linode VPS running debian that hosts lots of stupid stuff for myself, but also hosts a wordpress blog for a technology-clueless friend.

I would like to scrap the install and start over, but I want to make sure I backup their site and can bring it back online. What is the best method to do this? I am vaguely aware you can do a mysql dump/import, but then you could also copy the db file out of /var/lib/mysql (or whatever it is), right?

Do I need to save the wordpress install, or can I just install a fresh wordpress and point it to the info from the old db?

Thank you for any advice. I really shouldn't be in charge of this :p.

Dump the SQL database (you -should- have backups already) and restoring Wordpress should be documented in http://library.linode.com

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

I run Gentoo on a couple of boxes (desktop, VPS, shell box) and so far rolling releases have yet to bite me in a bad way. The worst thing that's happened is when the desktop hardware blew up and I didn't replace it for several months, it was kind of a pain to update and I had to rebuild probably 95% of the packages. Once I worked out exactly what was blocking and in what order, I was able to get the system up-to-date in a bunch of several-hundred-package bursts.

So the moral of the story is to do regular updates and if there's news to read about your packages then read it (Gentoo distributes important package news and reminds you of it at the end of an emerge session, not sure about Arch).

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Bob Morales posted:

Well yeah, there's always the risk of that happening. That said, for any package update that'll break your system there'll probably be a warning on the news page <RSS>. Stick that in your RSS reader and check it before you run a -Syu if you're paranoid.

That'll at least make sure you're prepared for any trouble coming your way. Other than that, it should be a breeze.

Shugyousha
Sep 24, 2007
Just (s)trolling by...

Zom Aur posted:

Well yeah, there's always the risk of that happening. That said, for any package update that'll break your system there'll probably be a warning on the news page <RSS>. Stick that in your RSS reader and check it before you run a -Syu if you're paranoid.

That'll at least make sure you're prepared for any trouble coming your way. Other than that, it should be a breeze.

There is a warning if a package in the supported repository will break due to an update, but none if one of the (unsupported) AUR packages you have installed is negatively affected by an upgrade of a dependency.

Such breakage occurred around two times in the year I have been using Arch, but depending on the number of unsupported software you intend to use your experience may differ.

All in all I am very happy with Arch. I have to admit though that I love trying out the newest software releases and that every (X)Ubuntu release upgrade I applied ended up in strange OS behavior for me. So changing the distro to one that uses a rolling release model was a natural fit for me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I got Arch up and running last night, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I think I may have installed Gentoo once or twice in the past, maybe not. Arch is very, very, very similar to BSD. That's not a good thing or a bad thing, but it will seem funny if you're coming from Ubuntu or Fedora.

With Fedora or Ubuntu there are so many things happening behind the scenes that you take for granted. apt and yum will not just install the files from a package, but they'll perform other actions that make them usable. Not so with pacman. You've still got to copy skeleton files over, turn daemons on and change settings to actually -use- what you've just installed.

In turn, you get a bare system that really is minimal. This is really a tweaker/fiddlers Linux. If that's your idea of fun, give it a shot. You can gain a better understanding of your system, although you won't necessarily 'learn' more. It reminds me of how Linux used to be before it made such huge strides in ease of administration and user-friendliness.

The documentation is slightly out of date but it's very good, it reminds me of OpenBSD or FreeBSD and is one of the things that drew me to Arch. I have VM's of the major distros running, I think for day-to-day use, or a multi-user system Arch might be a pain in the rear end. But for something you don't mind spending an hour or two setting up at first, and lots of tweaking down the road, Arch seems great.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I have an external hdd formatted NTFS that is on its last leg, the read/write speeds are dreadfully slow. I want to connect it to an older laptop running linux mint and copy the contents to my laptop. The contents are at E:\My Backups

What can I enter at the CLI to do this? I was googling rsync but I'm getting a bit confused.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Are you saying that, in your experience, documentation in Open/FreeBSD is out of date (but very good), and package installation doesn't do the "behind the scenes" work to make software usable? Or am I misreading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Hughmoris posted:

I have an external hdd formatted NTFS that is on its last leg, the read/write speeds are dreadfully slow. I want to connect it to an older laptop running linux mint and copy the contents to my laptop. The contents are at E:\My Backups

What can I enter at the CLI to do this? I was googling rsync but I'm getting a bit confused.

Are you transferring over the network? If you are then you need to setup either filesharing or an sshserver on one of the computers. Why don't you just connect the disk to the newer laptop?