Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's the Dreadnaught of L1- heavy armor, all big guns.

I mean, I still prefer the Banshee-S but it's a close second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Defiance Industries posted:

You guys are lucky that Atlas is Hideyoshi and not Grieg Samsonov. Dude has a custom Atlas that is the monsters.

The Atlas Samsonov is my favourite T1 'mech, given my love of 100-tonners with ridiculous throw weight of firepower. It loses out to my preference of higher tech levels, but it's a nice little murder machine.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The Samsonov is pretty neat, since it can actually bring more than just the 20 rack to bear at ranges, but I am not a big fan of it. The weapons just don't compliment each other well. Danielle Rondema's Atlas, on the other hand...

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Okay, someone is getting seriously offended by SD's play here. Another avatar change?

Spencerb
Apr 16, 2005
Don't worry, I'm sure he'll change it back. Guy must have dropped $60-70 reverting his avatar by now.

Scurrilous
Sep 2, 2006
evolutionary throwback
If you walked into the trees at 0127 and torso-twisted to threaten the panther the respective +2 modifiers would, I think, be to your advantage.

Scurrilous fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 29, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

jng2058: I ran the numbers. Assuming I stand where I am (and assuming he jumped instead of walked,) I have a 91.66% chance on any given shot of hitting him. Of them, there's a 44.4828% chance that any given shot will hit him in the CT, either directly or through migrating inwards from his absentee right arm or torso. (That's accounting for the chance I'll roll a 2 and the floating critical hit will also roll into the right-side killzone.)

There's also a 33.4031% chance that any given shot I launch will land on his left torso, either directly or by migrating inward from his left arms.

He's got 2 armor and 11 internals left in his CT, so any hit from my AC/20 there would be an immediate kill. And, of course, any hit from my AC/20 on the HD is an automatic kill, too, which means the AC/20 alone has a specific 47.2487% chance of putting him down if it hits.

His left torso isn't in great shape either - it has 2 armor left and 8 internals left, and the chances of hitting anywhere on it are 33.4031%. A shot from the AC/20 that hits the LT will smash it away completely and migrate ten additional damage inward, leaving his CT with only 3 internal left, and any single CERML shot capable of wasting him. On the other hand, if I shoot lasers, the LT could soak one hit (which potentially could ignite his SRM-4 ammo and be an instant kill, but most likely would take out a heat sink,) with any other hit into the left-hand side of his 'mech eating up the remaining internals there and migrating 4 damage into his CT, breaching and rolling a crit in there.

Of course, in all of this, there's the worry that the legs and even the HD will suck up an ERML shot to zero effect. That's another reason I want to lead off with the UAC/20: if it hits anywhere, this guy is either dead outright, dead in one more shot, or legged and probably ejecting if he survives the follow-up...

On the other hand, looking at the numbers, I could be reasonably safely assured of killing him with one shot from the Ultra/20 and four follow-up shots from my CERMLs, generating only 1 over-heat.

I'm curious as to how you're calculating these percentages. The 4 decimal place percentages specifically.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

SD. Walk up to the panther, shoot the panther to death if it manages to live kick it to death, are you that scared of a single srm launcher?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Longinus00 posted:

I'm curious as to how you're calculating these percentages. The 4 decimal place percentages specifically.

Dice rolls are pretty easy to calculate. Of course remember I did this exact thing when I got shot out of my Orion, so it's really just guessing.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Longinus00 posted:

I'm using a table of the two-decimal-point-place percentile rolls of 2d6. The ones that go out to four places are the result of me dividing 2.77 - the chance of a 2 resulting in a floating critical hit - by the calculated chance to hit the stated location by other means, and then adding the resulting figure to the original calculated chance.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

You should be adjusting for significant figures :colbert:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

BattleMaster posted:

You should be adjusting for significant figures :colbert:

It's been so long since I heard the term 'significant figures' I can barely remember what it means, let alone how to adjust for it... After refreshing my memory, though, seems like I'd need to just drop the digits after the hundredths and round down.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
the injured panther is actually the spider :colbert: +5 movement mods by current rules!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
What I want to know is what's so goddamned special about your av SD?

TheWolfen
Nov 4, 2009
I'm loving the background stories included in the updates. The insane ex-loremaster that goes into batte mumbling the remembrance and acting on prophetic visions of future disasters is a great character. The more I read of PTN's vision of the battletech universe the more I hope he gets more of it published and maybe ets to change it in the future.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

SD. Walk up to the panther, shoot the panther to death if it manages to live kick it to death

This is reasonable advice.

AtomikKrab posted:

are you that scared of a single srm launcher?

THIS is unecessary. Stop it.

legoman727 posted:

Okay, someone is getting seriously offended by SD's play here. Another avatar change?

It's starting to irritate me, to be honest.

Guys, ShadowDragon made a tactical decision--one I understand, even if I may have done things differently. If he'd've advanced, that Panther would have a clear shot at both his and the Hellbringer's backs with its SRM-4. The Hellbringer can take that risk, but the Stormcrow doesn't have the same rear armor. I gave him the Stormcrow because I figured he had the experience to handle the most challenging machine on the field, but it's alien to his typical playstyle. Give him some leeway.

This is supposed to be fun, for everyone involved. I don't like seeing pilots harassed simply because you don't agree with a minor tactical decision. I'm probably making things worse by calling attention to it, but if I have to slap a 'don't harass my pilots' rule on the front page for people to ignore, I'll do it.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 29, 2011

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I will stop with the unneeded heckling of players.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I think as long as the players get try to get to the enemy as fast as possible, while leaving a mech or two to cover the stragglers and one or two heavies to lead the charge, they might be able to take the enemy leader before dying horribly...

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Numbers

I agree with jng - using the Ultra on that crippled POS is a waste and would be a net win for them. You're in basically the best position you can be in, just hold still and put some laser into him. He's basically helpless - he either dies right now and you're good; or he charges you next turn and you can just walk around him and to the rest of the fight. Either way he's worthless after this turn, so why waste precious ammo?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Three or four ER Meds should be enough to near-guarantee the killing of the Panther. The UAC/20 is definitely something that has a "Do not use on anything less than 60 tons" label on it. If you had more than 10 shots, then maybe. If you were a blitzkrieg then yes, but you're not, so conserve it.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Taerkar posted:

Three or four ER Meds should be enough to near-guarantee the killing of the Panther. The UAC/20 is definitely something that has a "Do not use on anything less than 60 tons" label on it. If you had more than 10 shots, then maybe. If you were a blitzkrieg then yes, but you're not, so conserve it.

The stormcrow b is a close in brawler, really if you want to get technical, the best way to use it is to use it's insane speed and flank while getting backshots. That is my 2 cents on that. So far like fraction says, they just need to stick together and push forward.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

I will stop with the unneeded heckling of players.

Thank you!

But no, seriously, I appreciate it. I'm ok with advice, I'm ok with pointing out less-than-optimal choices, I'm not ok with actively insulting the players. They have enough to worry about already, I'm not exactly making things easy on them as-is. :)

VVV That would be pertinent information, wouldn't it? ... the side torso closest to the weapon in question.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 29, 2011

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Thank you!

But no, seriously, I appreciate it. I'm ok with advice, I'm ok with pointing out less-than-optimal choices, I'm not ok with actively insulting the players. They have enough to worry about already, I'm not exactly making things easy on them as-is. :)

Obviously, the hecklers should challenge SD to a trial of grievance in Megamek. Loser gets to concede their opponent is right.

Hey, PTN, a serious question: What are the ammunition locations of every Clan 'mech? This is important since if you see that body part getting ratty you might want to either dump ammo or start making GBS threads out as much fire as possible before you take an ammo bin hit.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

PoptartsNinja posted:

Thank you!

It is getting a little out of hand, isn't it?

While you're right that some of the poo poo that's been going on really shouldn't be in the thread at all, I get the feeling that there's a bit more to this than just what's going on in the thread. In fact I am fairly sure that I have at least part of the picture, and that it really doesn't have to do with his moves in particular - those I think were just a catalyst for the people who are avatar-bombing him.

If you want to jump on IRC or email me (I think you should have it?), I might be able to clear up some of the mystery for you (but it should probably stay out of the thread to avoid any further derails as a result of silly non-game drama stuff). You might be able to find me on Legends too from time to time. Whatever's clever.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Not terrifically relevant but this is pretty.

Have we done an ad for this yet? Because it needs one.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

the JJ posted:

I support an ad for the 'pult.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

the JJ posted:

Now that is one downright beautiful pile of myomer and metal, you all. Much prettier even than the Hunchback and Atlas done for the game so far.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

That's gotta be the first time I've seen anything regarding the Catapult that didn't look retarded.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

the JJ posted:

That is one of the more awesome and aesthetically pleasing 'mech redesigns designs I have seen..... I wonder what they're going to do with the Clan 'mechs... I wait with both trepidation and hopeful optimism to see what they're gonna do with the Timber Wolf.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read: Main Event (part 22)

Chapter 22
Houston, Borghese
14 December 3054

Days elapsed since book start: 226
Mercenaries recruited since book start: 6
Mercenaries recruited off-screen: 1
Things accomplished since book start: 1 (Rose took a nap, Rose got a Charger)
Protagonists introduced since book start: 7
Protagonists mentioned but not yet introduced: 1
Antagonists introduced since book start: 3
Antagonists defeated since book start: 0
Chapters spent on Northwind: 5
Chapters spent on Solaris: 10
Chapters spent on Outreach: 4
Chapters spent on Borghese: 13

Main Event posted:

Rose spent the next day moving his team and what little gear they possessed into their new quarters.

So yeah, this chapter’s going to be even more pointless setup mindless exposition amazing character-building. Y’know, even in the 99% politics books, we at least have an antagonist and a goal. This book is politics free and still manages to not actually have enough combat to be interesting. If anyone is picturing the last four chapters being pure combat with a dénouement like a sledgehammer to the face? Well, you’d be pretty close actually.

But we still have something like 11 chapters to go, which means more tedious crap. Yay!

Anyway, the facility is only half-constructed but Rose doesn’t give a poo poo. Also, they’re being picketed by civilians on a regular basis, but unlike Cassie Suthorn and the 17th Recon Regiment, it’s nothing that causes Rose any concern (probably because, unlike the 17th Recon, Jeremiah Rose would have no qualms about laying his Charger down and rolling around on a bunch of Civilians like a dog in mud).

Rose then calls his Chairman Cooke, who comes and picks him up same day since he’s actually a pretty good guy. Rose immediately comments mentally how unexpected it is to find a politician who isn’t a total rear end in a top hat. Cooke asks if Rose has eaten lunch, and we learn that Rose’s megalomania has prevented him from realizing he hasn’t eaten for nearly 20 hours. Just like it prevented him from sleeping for weeks back in book 1. Rose then compliments his half-finished barracks and says he’d have picked that location if he’d been the one making decisions. A high compliment indeed, and Cooke says as much. I like to imagine he does so sarcastically.

We then learn that Chairman Cooke wants Jeremiah to start ‘producing’ ASAP.

… Producing what? Bodies? Proof that they’re actively keeping the Clans from invading? Cooke then suggests a staged Clan raid.

… No, really, he does. And Jeremiah thinks nothing of it. He reacts like it’s the most natural thing in the world to announce. “Oh, Jeremiah, we need you to stage a Clan invasion and while you’re at it could you walk the rest of your Black Thorns into a trap for dramatic tension? We’d appreciate it, thanks.”

We then get another goddamned info-dump about Borghese, but it boils down to “Clans could attack us then be sneaky and attack sideways along the truce line and by the way bad people may try to vote me (the only person on the planet who wants you here) out of office.”

Cooke then asks the brilliant Jeremiah Rose to train the local militia or something. I dunno, I kinda zoned out. The militia, incidentally, consists of a couple of helicopters, a few `Mechbuster fighters (read: fragile flying AC/20 with no armor), and Hauptmann Morgain and his four old war buddies who also happen to have BattleMechs. They are all assaults or bare-minimum heavies, incidentally. I’m sure they’ll be a huge help when the Clans invade and Morgain’s status as ‘antagonist’ won’t in any way lead to trouble.

Oh, and incidentally, Crenshaw is part of a camp that wants to actively surrender Borghese to the Clans. Not even necessarily if they show up, just calling up the Jade Falcons and asking the Clans to actively come gently caress them up the asses. I’m pretty sure that’s technically high treason, and would be grounds to have them all shot (even in the Lyran Commonwealth). Then again, I’m not a lawyer.

We then learn that Hauptman Morgain is a political power because his daddy was important or some poo poo. He’s not nobility, and Cooke then badmouths him and says he’s pretty useless, and that asking Morgain for any kind of real help is a waste of time.

Main Event posted:

“Leave no stone unturned, that’s my motto. At least that’s one of my mottoes,” Rose said.

Ok. Not sure that applies, buddy. Rose then demands access to a militia VTOL so he can scout the planet and won’t have to rely on maps. He’s just that awesome, you see. Cooke relents, and they go get lunch after having driven in circles for about ten pages while they discuss the utterly meaningless local politics.

… Seriously, who voluntarily turns over a planet to the Clans? Wait, not: wrong question.

WHO VOLUNTARILY TURNS A PLANET OVER TO THE JADE FALCONS?! :ughh:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

WHO VOLUNTARILY TURNS A PLANET OVER TO THE JADE FALCONS?! :ughh:

I know who: Loki.

Clearly, it's a Loki plot to hand a planet full of idiots, troublemakers and lunatics over to the Jade Falcons in the hopes that the assholes they hate will wind up being taken care of for them via being reassigned to the labor caste or being shot for mouthing off to some Clan overlord.

That, or Crenshaw is so mentally unfit as to be someone you should have declared legally incompetent.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
ahaha the main event is so bad. I wonder if it is a btech thing or not, but I've noticed that most merc units always train the local militia. Rose is so stupid, but the GDL does it, and also a few others. Also I noticed in the books the lack of spiders, my first mech I ever rode :colbert:.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 29, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Axe-man posted:

ahaha the main event is so bad. I wonder if it is a btech thing or not, but I've noticed that most merc units always train the local militia. Rose is so stupid, but the GDL does it, and also a few others. Also I noticed in the books the lack of spiders, my first mech I never rode :colbert:.

In the second 17th Recon book, they get hired to do just that (but the locals don't want the help (Just like Main Event!) and then invite the Draconis Combine to come take over their planet (Just like Main Event!) and then get beaten by the plucky, badly outnumbered Mercenaries (Just like Main Event!)).

The differences? Hearts of Chaos came second so it's technically the copycat; yet it has believable and interesting characters who aren't just cardboard cutouts, villains who are actually compelling, and the designated badass viewpoint character (Cassiopia Suthorn) is regularly implied to be a sociopath who's actively trying to humanize herself and make herself a less-terrible person (who also happens to still be very good at killing people) and is trying to balance her disregard for human life with her regard for the lives of the people in the 17th Recon Regiment.

... in other words, it's like Main Event but good.

Who's our primary antagonist again? Oh yeah.

It's Jeremiah Rose.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

the JJ posted:

I have never really liked the Catapult (It's like a Timberwolf with half the weaponry and worse in every other way that matters in my head), but I would drive the hell out of that thing given the chance.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read: Main Event (part 23)

Chapter 23
Houston, Borghese
12 June 3055 (really)

Days elapsed since book start: 306¼
Mercenaries recruited since book start: 6
Mercenaries recruited off-screen: 1
Things accomplished since book start: 1 (Rose took a nap, Rose got a Charger)
Protagonists introduced since book start: 7
Protagonists mentioned but not yet introduced: 1
Antagonists introduced since book start: 3
Antagonists defeated since book start: 0
Chapters spent on Northwind: 5
Chapters spent on Solaris: 10
Chapters spent on Outreach: 4
Chapters spent on Borghese: 13

So yeah. 163 days have passed since I last dropped any mad spoilers; and not even the Author cares to write about any of it. I hope y’all are ready for more politics, because we won’t be getting a fight for at least another chapter. Rose then obsesses some about how amazing his sister is and how she’s already interfacing extremely well with the local planetary militia even though they’re all older than she is and—

No. I’m sorry, I can’t take Rianna seriously. She’s goddamned terrible at everything she does, and exists entirely so Jeremiah will have someone to rescue (who isn’t McCloud) and to martyr herself for her brother. I wish I was kidding. Incidentally, they’re pretty much training the local infantry how not to get stepped on by `Mechs.

We then learn that the other member of Jeremiah Rose’s extended family, Angus Rose, is quiet and yet somehow has ‘amazing command potential.’ Since Jeremiah (and most of the Inner Sphere, to be fair) believe highly in nepotism, this instantly becomes truth. It’s a good thing Angus survives this to become the heart and soul of the Black Thorhahahahahaha.

We then learn that

Main Event posted:

As the commanding officer of the most potent fighting force on Borghese, Rose enjoyed celebrity status.

… Again, why would anyone care? I certainly don’t, and by now I’m supposed to have an emotional investment in Jeremiah Rose.

Anyway, we then learn that Hawg (who is awesome) can’t actually teach anyone how to be as awesome as he is, so Jeremiah’s been riding in the scout VTOL with him. He then learns what I’ve been saying all along: that Hawg is loving awesome and the second best character. He’s no Badicus O’Shea, of course, but his 2.1 dimensions is a step above the 1.7 D everyone else is trying to pretend makes them a ‘fleshed out character.’

Oh, also, we find out that Hauptmann Salander Morgain has been loving Rianna, but we are then told that Rose doesn’t know. The implication being, if Rose knew, he’d kill Morgain.

Rose then admits the only reason he’s popular is because of Rachel McCloud, who is actually not socially inept and usually prevents him from doing anything too retarded (probably because he follows her around drooling like a retarded puppy). Rose then decides to try to take his VTOL to do more scouting (since Information is Ammunition (but that’s someone else’s motto, whoops)). Time to go turn some unturned stones, Jeremiah. Maybe you’ll find something original under one of them.

Except he can’t. Hawg is sick with viral pneumonia, which is the author’s first attempt to kill off one of the only two interesting characters on the team. We’re then introduced to a new character: Alexander Graham Antioch Bell. He pilots the VTOL for Jeremiah so Rose can still do his scouting and leave Hawg in the hospital to be forgotten recover.

Alexander Graham Bell introduces himself, says that Morgain sent him to spy help out, and he then nearly blows Rianna’s cover. Fortunately, Rose is dense as concrete on Jupiter and doesn’t realize what’s going on. We then learn that Antioch served seven years with the 26th Lyran Guard (“Steiner’s Boots”) who’s only notable action was almost not getting their asses kicked in by Natasha Kerensky in the Clan Invasion.

The three spend three weeks puttering around in a VTOL together and become Great Friends ™. Nothing will come of this, I promise.

Rose finishes his recon just in time for PLOT to occur. Two of Cooke’s supporters have just been arrested or killed, leaving Crenshaw with a clear majority in the Space Senate. He has declared himself Emperor, and dissolved the Republic. It’s up to Jeremiah Rose and his plucky Jedi Knights to stop him before he builds another Death Star!

… Wait.

This next bit makes my head hurt, one sec.

Wait, hold on.

I need to copy this verbatim, just hold on.

Main Event posted:

“What about the people? You said the populace was against the Clans.”

Cooke shook his head. “Crenshaw will conduct a media blitz. Soften the edge of the Clans and exaggerate the weaknesses of the Federated Commonwealth. By the time its over the people will welcome the Clan advance and wonder how the Inner Sphere ever got along without them.” He barked a short laugh. “Most of them won’t even realize they were manipulated.”

… HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Rose then puts the base on ‘Yellow Alert’ (… really? Shields up, weapons offline? Bad form, Rose. That just attracts Klingons). Rose then immediately abandons his command to go warn McCloud that the situation is now proper hosed.

At least he’s loyal to something. Pity it’s not his troopers. Chapter over.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rorac posted:

I have never really liked the Catapult (It's like a Timberwolf with half the weaponry and worse in every other way that matters in my head), but I would drive the hell out of that thing given the chance.

The Catapult also predates the Timber Wolf by several hundred years in BattleTech canon. The reason the Timber Wolf is known as the "Mad Cat" by Inner Sphere forces is because they thought it looked like a Catapult with Marauder arms.

The CPLT-C1 is actually a very decent mech in Level 1 play but no poo poo a 65 ton IS mech is going to be worse than a 75 ton Clan omnimech.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

BattleMaster posted:

The Catapult also predates the Timber Wolf by several hundred years in BattleTech canon. The reason the Timber Wolf is known as the "Mad Cat" by Inner Sphere forces is because they thought it looked like a Catapult with Marauder arms.

The CPLT-C1 is actually a very decent mech in Level 1 play but no poo poo a 65 ton IS mech is going to be worse than a 75 ton Clan omnimech.

Good lord this. Still, though, I bet if you had the market value of a Mad Cat in C1 Catapults you'd tear the thing apart.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand what's so bad about Stormcrows positioning. Someone has to mop up, and Stormcrow is the best unit to do that. It's fastest Clan unit on the field and carries a lot of close-range firepower for killing off the stragglers. You wouldn't leave the Panthers intact, would you?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

Good lord this. Still, though, I bet if you had the market value of a Mad Cat in C1 Catapults you'd tear the thing apart.

Yep, 4 Catapults would do a number on most anything, even most level 3 bullshit.

A level 2'd Catapult with a 325 light engine, 5 jump jets, Artemis on the lrms, 10 dhs and 9.5 tons of ferrofibrous armor is a pretty nasty fucker in its own right and still less than half the price of a Timberwolf

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Hob_Gadling posted:

I don't understand what's so bad about Stormcrows positioning. Someone has to mop up, and Stormcrow is the best unit to do that. It's fastest Clan unit on the field and carries a lot of close-range firepower for killing off the stragglers. You wouldn't leave the Panthers intact, would you?

to be quite honest the lights aren't an issue with just an srm4, the srm4 on average will give about 3ish missiles for 6 damage in 3 clusters. We aren't dealing with a ton of damage. right now all they can really do is block your path and delay you, but if they concentrated fire they would literally tear them apart. the stormcrow attacking them is rather a matter of course, just concentrating on targets and trying to lower your to hit and raise theirs is the key. It's kinda a complicated issue that doesn't have a "right" answer. With clan mechs you are being buried in numbers but you have the ability to throw out enough sheer damage to annihilate them quickly. Right now staying together as a group is prolly more important than killing those lights, but that panther, doesn't give you a choice anymore by blocking that path.

• Locked thread