Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

fnordcircle posted:

It's gonna take a while because I'm really not into trades/hardcovers I like having the actual issues.

Good luck, some of those Sandman issues won't be cheap :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

bairfanx posted:

Good luck, some of those Sandman issues won't be cheap :(

Yeah, it's gonna set me back a few but in a way it's good because it stops me from binging through all the series and forces me to take my time.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

fnordcircle posted:

I just took Justice League Dark, Wonder Woman, Voodoo and Stormwatch out of my pull lists and replaced them with every single Vertigo on-going. I can't believe how good these books are and it makes me said that I didn't get into Vertigo sooner.

I've also bought around 100 or so back issues of Sandman, Lucifer and Preacher but sadly it's mostly Lucifer and I want to wait on that until I've got a complete run of Preacher. It's gonna take a while because I'm really not into trades/hardcovers I like having the actual issues.

Still - thanks for this thread, I don't know if I would have looked much deeper into Vertigo without it.

I really recommend 100 Bullets. It's such a great book and satisfying finale.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

fnordcircle posted:

I just took Justice League Dark, Wonder Woman, Voodoo and Stormwatch out of my pull lists and replaced them with every single Vertigo on-going. I can't believe how good these books are and it makes me said that I didn't get into Vertigo sooner.

I've also bought around 100 or so back issues of Sandman, Lucifer and Preacher but sadly it's mostly Lucifer and I want to wait on that until I've got a complete run of Preacher. It's gonna take a while because I'm really not into trades/hardcovers I like having the actual issues.

Still - thanks for this thread, I don't know if I would have looked much deeper into Vertigo without it.

I actually like Voodoo. But yeah the rest are bad, especially JL:D.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Recently got the latest Unwritten trade, and the moment when we realize the significance of the Leviathan is one of my all time favorite moments in comics.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Rand alPaul posted:

Hey now, Wonder Woman is still great and the creative team are Vertigo vets.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Rand alPaul posted:

I actually like Voodoo and Wonder Woman but my pull list is 34 titles long at the moment after I added in all the existing Vertigo ongoings.

Sometimes life presents us with tough choices.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Did that JL:Dark pick up at all? The first issue was atrocious. Absolutely awful.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Did that JL:Dark pick up at all? The first issue was atrocious. Absolutely awful.

The first issue was horrible, the second issue seemed like it was rebounding, and the third returned to bleh. Deadman is carrying the title.

fnordcircle posted:

I actually like Voodoo and Wonder Woman but my pull list is 34 titles long at the moment after I added in all the existing Vertigo ongoings.

Sometimes life presents us with tough choices.

Oh I totally understand, I'm culling issues as well. I totally love the Vertigo titles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is going to be an absolute waste of time and effort.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35878

quote:

Whether it's the bestselling novel series or the upcoming film starring Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara, Stieg Larsson's "Millennium" trilogy has taken the world by storm. Comprised of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," "The Girl Who Played with Fire" and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest," Larsson's novels follow the exploits of investigative journalist Mikael Blomkvist and hacker prodigy Lisbeth Salander as they become caught in a web of mystery and murder. DC Entertainment announced in October that it would be adapting Larsson's books into a series of graphic novels. Now, Scotsman.com is reporting that DC has tapped crime novelist and Vertigo writer Denise Mina to turn the bestselling trilogy into a series of six graphic novels, with the first due in March.

"The intricate characters and stories Larsson created in the Millennium Trilogy are a perfect match for the graphic novel format, where we can bring Lisbeth Salander to life in entirely new, visually compelling ways," DC's co-publisher Dan DiDio said in the original announcement. "It’s a distinct honor to work on a story that is already so popular with millions of readers around the world."

The "Millennium" graphic novels will take two to three years to release in full, with two hitting stores each year until 2014. Mina's work includes nine prose novels as well as a 13 issue run of "Hellblazer," and the Vertigo Crime graphic novel "A Sickness in the Family."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
On one hand, I love the Millennium books

On the other, wasn't Mina's Hellblazer the one about empathy or whatever, because I remember going into that on cloud loving nine after Carey's "Don't you loving believe it" and coming out hating Hellblazer.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Kaleidoscope posted:

Hey now, Wonder Woman is still great and the creative team are Vertigo vets.

Yeah it's my favorite book DC is putting out. Every person on that creative team is bringing their best. Even the logo is good, which is pretty surprising seeing as how almost every new logo is pretty bad. Fletcher must have designed it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dickeye posted:

On one hand, I love the Millennium books

On the other, wasn't Mina's Hellblazer the one about empathy or whatever, because I remember going into that on cloud loving nine after Carey's "Don't you loving believe it" and coming out hating Hellblazer.

Mina wrote the single worst run in the history of the title. She was the writer that drove me from the book after 10+ years of reading.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is there anything in the rumormill about Lucifer hardcovers? I want to buy the series but not if hardcover versions are gonna be coming out soon

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

You guys are surprised that DC is adapting a rape filled story? :V

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Len posted:

Is there anything in the rumormill about Lucifer hardcovers? I want to buy the series but not if hardcover versions are gonna be coming out soon

Hardcovers, like those for Y, were announced years ago and we've heard nothing since. You're best bet is to get the trades.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

^burtle posted:

You guys are surprised that DC is adapting a rape filled story? :V

Oh shush. Also Dragon Tat has more rapes than all of ID Crisis and every female DC character origin story put together. :V

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Len posted:

Bob Wayne said they aren't coming any time soon. Just get the trades.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
DC should have patched things up with Alan Moore so he could adapt it , man has some experience with writing rape scenes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hollis posted:

DC should have patched things up with Alan Moore so he could adapt it , man has some experience with writing rape scenes.

I am pretty sure it is impossible to patch things up with Alan Moore.

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

I am opposed to homosexuality for political reasons
DMZ's last issue was released today. I have to say I've never read a more politically charged comic series ever, and Brian Wood has a real fire-in-the-belly passion for what he wrote. This series really resonated with me, as I look at how bad things are today and while reading this I wonder how much longer we've got until an Free States movement comes about. It's really fair game right now.

cyberpunksurvivor fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 29, 2011

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Not with that beard always getting in the way.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
So, in Unwritten news, does this mean Pullman is Cain? Is that what we're supposed to take away? My knowledge of the story of Cain is limited mostly to Vertigo titles anyway, but the whole immortal schtick and the mark of Cain being a circle in Sandman, as well as his saying that he was one of the oldest stories, based on a mistake in his youth.

If anyone has other ideas, toss em out, but I'm thinking that's our man.

Also, it kind of sets him up as an anti-Tom figure. A man made immortal through stories vs a story given human form.

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 29, 2011

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

bobkatt013 posted:

Moore's busy going off the deep end making LOEG Century 3. No time for politics.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fnordcircle posted:

Yeah, it's gonna set me back a few but in a way it's good because it stops me from binging through all the series and forces me to take my time.

I've got Sandman 29-75 plus Orpheus as singles and could use some space. Any use?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Jedit posted:

I've got Sandman 29-75 plus Orpheus as singles and could use some space. Any use?

If he doesn't, I may take you up on that...

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Mister Roboto posted:

Go for it. Over the last few weeks I hit a ton of shops up and I've got most of those for Sandman now.

Thanks though.

Another Vertigo question - since I'm still new to it. I hear a lot about the titles that people love but I'm wondering are there any titles that people just hate? That I might want to avoid as I go about prioritizing which titles to get a full run?

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

The only Vertigo title I'm currently reading is American Vampire. I'd drop into Fables , but after reading thru the first ten volumes, I opted out.

I think it might've been Mark Buckingham's art style. How he drew the wooden soldiers and Pinocchio just turned me off. It's kinda sad, actually: I'm a big adherent that the art must serve the story in a comic, but here I am saying that I can't read a comic because of the art :doh:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

Work something out and PM me, then. Just be aware that I'm UK-based, so shipping costs may render it uneconomical.

cyberpunksurvivor, get yourself to reading The Unwritten. You won't regret it.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
I didn't enjoy the first volume of American Vampire as much as I thought I would. The art is gorgeous, but the story didn't really blow me away or anything.

I enjoyed Snyder's bits a lot better than King's, though. I guess cause Snyder told his story from Pearl Jones' perspective rather than King who jumped around between Skinner, the vampire hunters, and the old world vampire cabal. Which doesn't really make any sense since one of the vampire hunters were narrating the story.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Jedit posted:

Work something out and PM me, then. Just be aware that I'm UK-based, so shipping costs may render it uneconomical.

Hm, yeah, that wouldn't be fair to do that as I'm over on the other side of the pond. Well, I'll pass and leave it for any UK goons who want to share in the Sandman goodness.

Thanks all the same, though!

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

SkellingTon Loc posted:

I didn't enjoy the first volume of American Vampire as much as I thought I would. The art is gorgeous, but the story didn't really blow me away or anything.

I enjoyed Snyder's bits a lot better than King's, though. I guess cause Snyder told his story from Pearl Jones' perspective rather than King who jumped around between Skinner, the vampire hunters, and the old world vampire cabal. Which doesn't really make any sense since one of the vampire hunters were narrating the story.

I think you will enjoy Volume 2 a lot more than the first. That is the biggest complaint I have heard about the series when it comes to volume 1, King's writing. Volume 2 is all Snyder, and he keeps improving with every arc. Although to be perfectly honest I don't think Albuquerque's art is as good in Volume 2.

It does however improve by leaps in the third volume due out in February which also includes the best thing Scott Snyder has written American Vampire Survival of the fittest with art from Sean Gordon Murphy.

On that note the latest issue of American Vampire was pretty good. I wrote some thoughts about it here and I hope it's ok to link this, I kept spoilers at the absolute minimum. I know it's hard to discuss vertigo books because of how much of the readership follows in trades so I just wanted to throw my thoughts out there.

http://comicpill.com/articles/18/american-vampire-22-meet-travis-kidd/

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

bairfanx posted:

So, in Unwritten news, does this mean Pullman is Cain? Is that what we're supposed to take away? My knowledge of the story of Cain is limited mostly to Vertigo titles anyway, but the whole immortal schtick and the mark of Cain being a circle in Sandman, as well as his saying that he was one of the oldest stories, based on a mistake in his youth.

If anyone has other ideas, toss em out, but I'm thinking that's our man.

Also, it kind of sets him up as an anti-Tom figure. A man made immortal through stories vs a story given human form.

I think that is what we're supposed to take from that story. I'm not sure what significance Pullman shouting about his right hand always getting destroyed is supposed to mean, though.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Soonmot posted:

I think that is what we're supposed to take from that story. I'm not sure what significance Pullman shouting about his right hand always getting destroyed is supposed to mean, though.

My only thought was that it was a way to make it clear to the reader that it was Pullman, which, assuming all the .5's focus on him, really shouldn't need to have been done.

I kind of want to make a list of fictional characters missing their right hand...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Soonmot posted:

Redacting everything here, as it's all part of the core theme of the book:

Loss of the dominant hand is a trope in fiction, and this is a book about how stories shape our perception of the world. The great strength of the Unwritten cabal is that nobody tells stories about them, rendering them immune to the power of stories. However, while there are no stories about Pullman and so he cannot be influenced directly by stories, he remains the same person and so in terms of storytelling tropes, the same things must happen to him every time. This is why Pullman is so pissed about losing his hand all the time; it shows that despite everything, he can still be vulnerable to that power.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\Thank you. I thought there was something deeper I was missing and it took me a bit to download gimp on my notebook.

The way it's highlighted makes me think that the missing right hand is some sort of clue. It's happened to him before, or since stories cycle, will happen again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Is that art by Dean Ormston? Stupid trade waiting, I love that dude.

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

This has been bugging me for a few weeks now. DMZ: the fire-in-the-belly, two-fisted, anti-war epic of a series and quite possibly Brian Wood's best work to date, ended last month. And not a single Goddamn retrospective or review from the major sites (CBR, Comics Alliance, Newsarama, et. all). I mean, what the gently caress?

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
Yeah, it sucks that most comic book sites usually only review the first issue of a series. More retrospectives or run/trade reviews would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Anyone feel a bit disappointed by the last coupe of Scalped trades? Felt to me like one or two issues of main story padded with merely decent side-stories.

• Locked thread