Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Brannock posted:

I'm about 60 chapters into Historie and it really is getting better. A couple chapters had basically scribbles for backgrounds, I assume the assistants were out sick those weeks.

Really enjoying the setting and development of Eumenes/Alexander though.
Apparently the monthly stuff has always been really rough, but the guy goes back and draws really awesome detailed stuff for the volume releases. The early scans are from the volumes, but at some point folks got impatient and we've been getting the monthly versions for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Eiba posted:

Apparently the monthly stuff has always been really rough, but the guy goes back and draws really awesome detailed stuff for the volume releases. The early scans are from the volumes, but at some point folks got impatient and we've been getting the monthly versions for a while.

Yeah, you see the same effect in many mangas. In several mangas many scenes are effectively entirely redrawn for the volumes.

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/vinland_saga/v10/c079/
Chapter 79

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

poo poo is about to get real :stare:

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
WHOA I did not see that coming. :psypop: Farmland Saga continues to escalate back into the ridiculously real with each chapter.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Oh man Badass slave is her husband. Einer :(

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Poor Einar.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

poo poo is about to get so real. :suspense:

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
:holy:
We're finally going to see how awesome Snake is at fighting. Yesssssss.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Snake, Lizard and Hodger, what's up with the animal kingdom names...

Seeing Thorgil, Thorfinn and Snake go up against Canute's men will be interesting.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ulio posted:

Snake, Lizard and Hodger, what's up with the animal kingdom names...

Well, the most famous viking ever was named "Bear".

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I don't know about Scandinavian culture but bears might be more significant than snakes and lizards?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's been awhile since we got a death flag for Einar, I was wondering what was taking so long.

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Actually, Bjorn means bear, so that's already covered. It's a pretty common scandinavian name.

Orm(Snake) was also a real viking name.
The author probably just got carried away with the naming theme.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Methane posted:

Actually, Bjorn means bear, so that's already covered. It's a pretty common scandinavian name.

Orm(Snake) was also a real viking name.
The author probably just got carried away with the naming theme.

Or the translators did...

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Otoyomegatari Chapter 21, RAW

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Not being able to read this is getting me pretty mad. Aren't there any goon scanlation groups that could jump on this?

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Not being able to read this is getting me pretty mad. Aren't there any goon scanlation groups that could jump on this?

I guess my rendition of 20 went over well enough, I could take a shot at this one too but I have a few things keeping me busy at this very moment, so I won't be making much progress until the weekend.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I guess my rendition of 20 went over well enough, I could take a shot at this one too but I have a few things keeping me busy at this very moment, so I won't be making much progress until the weekend.

Thanks for doing this. Your previous one was drat good.

As far as the wait goes I'm just happy I'll be able to read it.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

That would be awesome, thanks!

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
EDIT: Whoops, I posted this in the wrong thread. That'll teach me to read!

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
New chapter

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/vinland_saga/v10/c080/1.html

Great art in this chapter

Emo Rodeo fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 25, 2012

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

And as always it's over in an instant. Why is this a monthly manga :smith:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
drat I thought Snake was going to go down and Gadar was going to go berserk forcing Throfin to defend himself and fight again. That was a pretty cool fight though

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
:drat: I really hope Snake fights Thorfinn at some point in the future.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Lightning's striking twice: Historie chapter 73

Needs more assistants, looks like.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doc Hawkins posted:

Kinda sad that they let it even go out for final publication given that most of the last panels look like a rough draft the artist did in a few minutes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

It's a shame this chapter was at the same time mostly spectacle and poorly drawn...

Well, shoddy art aside... naval battles! I still think this stuff is pretty drat cool, even if not a lot happened.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Volume posted:

drat I thought Snake was going to go down and Gadar was going to go berserk forcing Throfin to defend himself and fight again. That was a pretty cool fight though

While that would be cool if anything this chapter drove the point home that Thorfinn is probably not gonna fight (or at least kill) anyone again.

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011
I wonder if Einar nearly attacking his masters with an axe will go by unpunished?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

Anyone know if they are releasin volumes of it as well? Hopefully the art is better there.

Also, that bit at the end was nifty and the first panel of the next chapter should be rather messy...

Munin fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 25, 2012

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Ententod posted:

I wonder if Einar nearly attacking his masters with an axe will go by unpunished?

He didn't do anything. Snake has well established at this point that he's not a petty type.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Breaky posted:

While that would be cool if anything this chapter drove the point home that Thorfinn is probably not gonna fight (or at least kill) anyone again.

This was just one guy but when Canute's forces come to take Ketil's lands I think Thorfinn will be asked/forced to fight.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Munin posted:

Anyone know if they are releasin volumes of it as well? Hopefully the art is better there.

Also, that bit at the end was nifty and the first panel of the next chapter should be rather messy...

They do. He redraws volume releases.

You should see how amazing the improvement is with some chapters.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ulio posted:

This was just one guy but when Canute's forces come to take Ketil's lands I think Thorfinn will be asked/forced to fight.

Personally I think that's gonna strengthen his resolve even further. I wonder what will happen though, given the title is Vinland Saga and that Leif Ericson is looking for Thorfin, at some point we'd expect him to get on a boat and get the hell out of Europe right?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Breaky posted:

Personally I think that's gonna strengthen his resolve even further. I wonder what will happen though, given the title is Vinland Saga and that Leif Ericson is looking for Thorfin, at some point we'd expect him to get on a boat and get the hell out of Europe right?

Well, I would certainly assume that. Clearly, Thorfinn won't be able to stay in Europe for that much longer, if his resolve to not kill anymore holds out, since the farm is going to be in danger pretty soon. I think that once Canute gains full control of the farm - which he will, one way or another - he will attempt to recruit Thorfinn, or compel him to be his assassin/slave, now that most people won't recognize Thorfinn as someone who tried to kill Canute. This would put Thorfinn in a pickle, and his uncle would be wrapped up in the intrigue should he try to rescue Thorfinn from Canute/slavery. So this would probably lead to Thorfinn fleeing to Vinland, where he can now put his farm training to good use.

Of course, I could be totally wrong, and in a few chapters Thorfinn starts lopping heads all over the place with his newfound farming strength. Which would be awesome.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

EPOXY BULLETIN ARE YOU HERE

I was talking to Zorak about the lack of translation for Otoyomegatari and he said you have been wonderfully generous about it before. Is there any preferred way I can contact you about this?

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Tesseraction posted:

EPOXY BULLETIN ARE YOU HERE

I was talking to Zorak about the lack of translation for Otoyomegatari and he said you have been wonderfully generous about it before. Is there any preferred way I can contact you about this?

Sorry, I think I forgot to mention I'm terrible. I've been working on the next one (21) thanks to the raw posted somewhere above/last page. Progress is slow but... slow :v:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

No no I mean I want to help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Tesseraction posted:

No no I mean I want to help!

HOW DARE YOUUUUU ok
Mostly the delay is due to me procrastinatin' like a champ, but it would save me a lot of time if someone more proficient(read: anyone) could typeset my translation. And though I'm fairly confident in my Oriental, bouncing turns of phrase off a fellow Moon Wizard wouldn't hurt either. Once I sit down and commit to it, I can probably bang it out right quick, but I've also got classes and work contending for my time :(
anyway, you can clutter up my inbox instead of this thread: (edited for chumps)

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 2, 2012