Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I know how much you guys hate on specialization rankings in law school, so if you're looking to help a guy out, he seems like he could use it. (It's basically the this school is bad, but is #3 in environmental law so it's actually pretty good for me thing)

http://www.reddit.com/r/LawSchool/comments/nluwr/question_about_law_school_tiers_and_the_t14/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My favorite part of that thread is that no one is telling him not to go to law school in the first place. :allears:

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I know a judge who straight up told me that if a shoddily-written motion comes across her desk she instantly views it with a negative eye and they have to work harder to convince her.
I worked for a few state trial judges during my law school summers and they said the same thing. That job is where I picked up most of my good habits regarding presentation of work product, because I saw so much poo poo come through the door.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
Never go

Nero fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 27, 2011

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

10-8 posted:

I worked for a few state trial judges during my law school summers and they said the same thing. That job is where I picked up most of my good habits regarding presentation of work product, because I saw so much poo poo come through the door.

Same here. The best brief I read was in a contested probate hearing where one side kept alleging "undo" influence. That typo particularly irked the judge, and is why I always try and double check everything before it gets filed.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Makochuk posted:

I know how much you guys hate on specialization rankings in law school, so if you're looking to help a guy out, he seems like he could use it. (It's basically the this school is bad, but is #3 in environmental law so it's actually pretty good for me thing)

http://www.reddit.com/r/LawSchool/comments/nluwr/question_about_law_school_tiers_and_the_t14/

Specialty rankings are bullshit and even a market like Oregon which is really gung ho on local ties (more even than other smaller markets I applied to) is going to pick from T14s. For instance, Stoel Rivers, a strong Portland firm, has no one from UO or Willamette. Perkins Coie's Portland office does, but it's about the same number of Oregon school grads as California school grads (looking at the site there's a decent number of Hastings people there, but they're old, which makes sense since Hastings used to be a much stronger school than it is now).

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

sigmachiev posted:

which makes sense since Hastings used to be a much stronger school than it is now.

What happened to it, anyway? A lot of the older lawyers I know still talk about the school as if its right up there with UCLA or USC.

e: they're not Hastings grads either. But some are Southwestern grads so that might partially explain the fawning

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

runoverbobby posted:

What happened to it, anyway? A lot of the older lawyers I know still talk about the school as if its right up there with UCLA or USC.

e: they're not Hastings grads either. But some are Southwestern grads so that might partially explain the fawning

I'm not sure what happened. Maybe Cal and Stanford just solidified themselves in the Bay or as the number of schools in Cali increased they just fell off. Or state funding, which is always an issue (I'm not sure if they've moved to a basically private model like Boalt has).

Happy Holidays lawgoons. I love you.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

sigmachiev posted:

I'm not sure what happened. Maybe Cal and Stanford just solidified themselves in the Bay or as the number of schools in Cali increased they just fell off. Or state funding, which is always an issue (I'm not sure if they've moved to a basically private model like Boalt has).
That doesn't explain anything as Davis has the same funding and is growing.
I asked by dad, who's been a lawyer in NorCal forever. He doesn't really know either. It isn't any worse, everyone else got better.

iamrobk
Sep 11, 2007
I just got into Penn Law School, so I'm hoping that it'll turn out to be a good investment for me. We'll see in a few years I guess.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Congrats on throwing your life away!

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

iamrobk posted:

I just got into Penn Law School, so I'm hoping that it'll turn out to be a good investment for me. We'll see in a few years I guess.

Penn is great, congrats (but diospadre is still right)!

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

iamrobk posted:

Penn state or U Penn?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Direwolf posted:

Penn state or U Penn?

Haha, prepare for lots of this. Nothing fucks with the Penn students I know like asking them about Nittany Lions football.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.
So, how would you approach it if someone said to you they want to do securities law with a 3.0/153? I hit him with everything I could: destined for mediocrity at a poo poo school, getting a job--any job--is a long shot as a result of that, never seeing Wall Street unless it's on a guided tour, dying alone with a needle in his arm, and he thinks it's a conspiracy to cut competition.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

IrritationX posted:

So, how would you approach it if someone said to you they want to do securities law with a 3.0/153? I hit him with everything I could: destined for mediocrity at a poo poo school, getting a job--any job--is a long shot as a result of that, never seeing Wall Street unless it's on a guided tour, dying alone with a needle in his arm, and he thinks it's a conspiracy to cut competition.
I'd just laugh and say "no."

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Hey nm we officially moved for sanctions vs the PDs recently. We were waiting for a solid opportunity. This particular PD wrote a motion (two days before trial) that included the following information:

a) His client was 8 months pregnant.
2) His client's doctor declared that the pregnancy was "high risk" and the client was 100% bed ridden.
III) Therefore, the client needed a hospital bed for trial. An actual, physical, "oh jesus the baby is going to die" hospital bed on which she can wallow for the entirety of the week long trial.
4) The PD did not move for a continuance.

We set an "on jesus get the doc in to testify" hearing pre-trial. Note: we set this hearing, not the PD. We specifically said "get the doc in to testify." The judge specifically said "get the doc in to testify."

Turns out the following facts are actually true:

a) His client is 4 months pregnant, not 8 months pregnant.
2) His client didn't have a doctor, much less have a prognosis of a "high risk" anything. In fact, the client had a mid-wife and a thoroughly normal pregnancy.
III) His client was totally "what the gently caress?" regarding the hospital bed.
4) The PD had literally never spoken to her after the intake phone call like three months ago.
V) His client had no clue what was going on with anything, much less had any clue what was going on with that stupid motion.
f) His client insisted on (hilariously) immediately filing a change of plea given that we had made a time-served offer that the PD had never communicated to her.

We moved for sanctions. The judge denied sanctions citing the fact that this is par for the course. Literal bold-face lying to everyone (including your client) about extreme wtf procedures like "my client needs to appear via hospital bed" is not grounds for sanctions. And, as the judge said, this is par for the course.

Edit: Let me emphasize that I'm not exaggerating any of this. The judge set a last second evidentiary hearing, at which the PD's rear end was thoroughly thrashed, and the DA jumped up and down going ballistic. The PD literally smirked and shrugged his shoulders and said "It's just tactics." But it was just - and I quote - "par for the course."

I have magnanimous respect for 99% of PDs, but jesus loving christ.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 25, 2011

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

BigHead posted:

Hey nm we officially moved for sanctions vs the PDs recently.
Tis the season to be jolly!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Merry Christmas lawgoons. For those in law school, I wish you good grades. For those about to graduate, and for those recently graduated, I wish you a job.

For those of us who are practicing, I hope you have a great 2012 with lots of billables, few crazy-rear end clients, and I hope you can withstand the urge to become an alcoholic for one more year.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Haha, prepare for lots of this. Nothing fucks with the Penn students I know like asking them about Nittany Lions football.

We take it in stride because it's an opportunity to boast about how it's an ivy league school, but you'd be surprised at how much vitriol our "not penn state" shirts generate from Penn State students.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

To be fair though I think now the message on those shirts is a little more important what with the molesting and all.

iamrobk
Sep 11, 2007

MechaFrogzilla posted:

I'm at PSU for undergrad, so I don't mind haha (though after the Sandusky stuff it may get a bit old).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BigHead posted:

2) His client's doctor declared that the pregnancy was "high risk" and the client was 100% bed ridden.
III) Therefore, the client needed a hospital bed for trial. An actual, physical, "oh jesus the baby is going to die" hospital bed on which she can wallow for the entirety of the week long trial.

Apparently it was BS in this case, but just FYI for the future: a high-risk pregnancy is a real thing and not something made up by the PD.

Penn State: Giving pick-up-artists the ability to neg UPenn girls since 1855.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

iamrobk posted:

I'm at PSU for undergrad, so I don't mind haha (though after the Sandusky stuff it may get a bit old).

I think the chief problem with the Sandusky stuff is that it wasn't old enough.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Petey posted:

I think the chief problem with the Sandusky stuff is that it wasn't old enough.

Bravo old chap.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BigHead posted:

We moved for sanctions. The judge denied sanctions citing the fact that this is par for the course. Literal bold-face lying to everyone (including your client) about extreme wtf procedures like "my client needs to appear via hospital bed" is not grounds for sanctions. And, as the judge said, this is par for the course.

Edit: Let me emphasize that I'm not exaggerating any of this. The judge set a last second evidentiary hearing, at which the PD's rear end was thoroughly thrashed, and the DA jumped up and down going ballistic. The PD literally smirked and shrugged his shoulders and said "It's just tactics." But it was just - and I quote - "par for the course."

I have magnanimous respect for 99% of PDs, but jesus loving christ.

Same thing happens when you all don't give us the evidence that the judge ordered you to turn over 5 weeks ago.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

VVVVV

Only when they're wearing pants.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 29, 2011

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

why would cats care about cheese gently caress

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

joat mon posted:

In the original version the two cats had stolen the cheese. The monkey was right to punish them and ensure they gained no benefit from their misdeeds.

Bathing Jesus
Aug 26, 2003
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/115484

quote:

“Everyone you know has attended, is attending, or will attend Law School.” So begins GUNNER, a tour de force memoir for a market of thousands of pre-law and law students, as well as those interested in what happens when youth and naiveté meet a professional school assembly line.

When the author attends a top law school in 2007, he expects his degree to allow him to ride smoothly into the upper echelons of the profession. But, instead, the economy provides him with anything but as he struggles to find work while burdened by thousands of dollars in debt. His classmates and professors don’t make life any easier. There is Mark, who gets the best grades in the class but wants to live off the grid in Alaska; Sally, a former sorority girl who wants classmates to take her seriously; and Jerome, a man haunted by a single grade and the woman who broke his heart.

Inspired by classics such as Scott Turow’s “1L”, GUNNER is more than the sum of its parts: it is a synopsis of a law student’s experience at a prestigious law school; a romp through the Chicago Southside; a screwball comedy; and a clever, acerbic commentary on the profession and how it was affected by the recent economic collapse. Above all, it is a universal story about the dehumanizing aspects of academia and higher education.

hmm...

quote:

When we returned to our building, there was no pretense that anyone wanted to watch a movie. I took her to my place and poured each of us a glass of wine. Then I gave her a grand tour: my poster of the logo of every NFL team, a few cover songs on my guitar, my fish tank with the seemingly suicidal goldfish. After she asked for another glass of wine, I took her by the window and showed her my view of a
parking lot.

“You’re real cute,” I told her, while breaking her personal space. She breathed hard on my sweater.
“You,” she answered in broken English, and then looked up at me as if to verify that word meant what she thought. “Did, ugh, Jungshin tell you?”

“Yes,” I said.

“You – good, too,” she said, and smiled. “Cute.” She tapped my nose with her index finger.

I leaned over and kissed her. It was a bad kiss on her end – too much teeth. Then she stopped. That was it. I had done it. I had gone too far. Now the fallout of my spring quarter would begin, with this studious girl suddenly my sworn enemy. She would tell anyone who could understand her broken English about the very bad man.

hmm...

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
I hope he had one of those leather jackets with all the NFL team logos to match his sweet poster.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
hahaha what the gently caress

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Oh my loving christ

People v. Dominguez (1967) 256 Cal.App.2d 623, 626.
As a condition of probation the trial court ordered a (hispanic) woman to not have any children unless married and not live with a man unless married.

"You are going to prison unless you are married first. You have already [sic] too many of those. Do you understand that [sic] I am saying?" The court then asked, I poo poo you not, "Do you know where the Planned Parenthood Clinic is?"

She then of course got pregnant. While using birth control. Even the court acknowledged the birth control failed. The trial court says "She understands what causes it." The judge then sent her to prison.

Shockingly, the second district court of appeals had a problem with this.

Holy poo poo,LA County Judge Sprankle, you crazy.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

nm posted:

Oh my loving christ

As a condition of probation the trial court ordered a (hispanic) woman to not have any children unless married and not live with a man unless married.

"You are going to prison unless you are married first. You have already [sic] too many of those. Do you understand that [sic] I am saying?" The court then asked, I poo poo you not, "Do you know where the Planned Parenthood Clinic is?"

She then of course got pregnant. While using birth control. Even the court acknowledged the birth control failed. The trial court says "She understands what causes it." The judge then sent her to prison.

Shades of Buck v Bell

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

nm posted:

Oh my loving christ

When an Oklahoman tells a Californian that his State's policies toward probationers and their rights are shockingly retrograde, there's something wrong.

But since HiddenReplaced is being all Suzy/Sammy Sunshine about the inherent Justice of the justice system, I'm sure the 9th Circuit will fix it on habeas.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

joat mon posted:

But since HiddenReplaced is being all Suzy/Sammy Sunshine about the inherent Justice of the justice system
You're just angry your storybook failed to disclose material facts about the story.

Thieving cats had it coming.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

joat mon posted:

When an Oklahoman tells a Californian that his State's policies toward probationers and their rights are shockingly retrograde, there's something wrong.

But since HiddenReplaced is being all Suzy/Sammy Sunshine about the inherent Justice of the justice system, I'm sure the 9th Circuit will fix it on habeas.
It was from 1967 and was overturned. Back when our case law was sane.
That said, California criminal law is far worse than people can imagine. Remember the California Constitution was abolished in the 80s as it related to criminal law (this also means that basically all cases before then are somewhat useless). All we get is what the US constitution gives us. Our State Supreme Court is probably more conservative than the US Supreme Court.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just received a facebook friend request from a client. I haven't idea whether to accept or not- I hardly use Facebook, and I don't think I have any offensive pictures or anything like that, but the idea still makes me uncomfortable.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

entris posted:

I just received a facebook friend request from a client. I haven't idea whether to accept or not- I hardly use Facebook, and I don't think I have any offensive pictures or anything like that, but the idea still makes me uncomfortable.

This is what limited profile lists are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

entris posted:

In true lawyerly fashion, you should neither accept nor reject your client's friend invitation. That way you have plausible deniability ("Friend invite? Haven't been on Facebook in months!") for not being their friend, while leaving yourself open to easily becoming their Facebook friend should it become prudent in the future.