Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whiskey
Feb 8, 2004

Back with another one of those block rockin' BEATS

jonathan posted:

I've been out with BC Jeep, Herd of Turtles and BC4x4. To be honest there is no difference and usually it's all the same guys and vehicles. There is a lot of inter-forum mixing. Inter-forum mixing is ruining our heritage and culture.

4x4 PURITY!

I've been out with the Herd too. They're pretty mature.
Thanks for the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

loving hell... The new 2011 G class merc's start at $160K for the 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel and go to $217K for the AMG 5.5L Supercharged V8!

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!

I don't know the story, just found it while wandering through Panoramio.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Reminds me of this classic:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I love old pictures of trucks.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

mod sassinator posted:

Reminds me of this classic:

I remember that one, it's an optical composite used in a Warn ad back in the day.

Going off to Anza Borrego this weekend, should be a fun trip, up to Calcite Mine, then Truckhaven then down through Ocotillo Wells afterwards, I'll see how busy it is this weekend.

I hope folks show up early enough, last time I ran this trip, 6 people cancelled out in the morning after realizing it's a 3-4 hour drive from LA.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Geared Hub posted:

I remember that one, it's an optical composite used in a Warn ad back in the day.

Going off to Anza Borrego this weekend, should be a fun trip, up to Calcite Mine, then Truckhaven then down through Ocotillo Wells afterwards, I'll see how busy it is this weekend.

I hope folks show up early enough, last time I ran this trip, 6 people cancelled out in the morning after realizing it's a 3-4 hour drive from LA.

That may be a pre-digital photoshop job to enhance the dangerous appearance of the "Bolivian Road of Death", but it's a real thing.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

EightBit posted:

That may be a pre-digital photoshop job to enhance the dangerous appearance of the "Bolivian Road of Death", but it's a real thing.

I agree, the road is a real thing but the background is not, that photo is covered in a few graphic design classes and photography/advertising case studies. That being said it's a good ad. 4X4 ads were better then they were now.

I don't what's with automakers these days, but hell, the Range Rover/Land Rover ads from 10+ years ago with guys beating up the undercarriage with sledge hammers or winching up the hoover drat were great.

Any who...

Yesterday I was reminded how funny people get with needing help. I saw a ton of disabled trucks and jeeps in different places, in some cases in the middle of no where, we roll up in a bunch of H1's and everyone is like "uh no that's ok, we're fine"... only to flag down a Jeep a minute later to get them to strap them out.

:v:

Oh, someone took a brand new Range Rover HSE onto the truckhaven course, that was certainly unexpected, I'll have to throw up a few pictures when I get them uploaded.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 11, 2011

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geared Hub posted:

I don't what's with automakers these days, but hell, the Range Rover/Land Rover ads from 10+ years ago with guys beating up the undercarriage with sledge hammers or winching up the hoover drat were great.
People are buying 4x4s from the "I want to keep my children safe while enjoying whatever lifestyle you wish to sell me this week" perspective, not based on off-road ability.

Also, the Landie dam advert was in Wales. Not faked, either.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KL0rwkj2vQ

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InitialDave posted:

People are buying 4x4s from the "I want to keep my children safe while enjoying whatever lifestyle you wish to sell me this week" perspective, not based on off-road ability.

Also, the Landie dam advert was in Wales. Not faked, either.

Sort of. It was entirely winched up, not driven iirc.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

It's safer to do it that way, if you are hitting the gas and using the winch at such a slope you would hop and shift around a bit and possibly slip off the side.

Nothing is diminished by using a winch, I've seen hard core buggies get stuck on Pritchett Canyon where they had no choice but to use a winch to get out.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Am I doing it right?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I can still see some paint.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO

This is great. "doo dee doo, just driving along a road... gently caress this"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geared Hub posted:

It's safer to do it that way, if you are hitting the gas and using the winch at such a slope you would hop and shift around a bit and possibly slip off the side.

Nothing is diminished by using a winch, I've seen hard core buggies get stuck on Pritchett Canyon where they had no choice but to use a winch to get out.
Yeah, nothing could drive that slope, it really is as steep as it looks.

What I meant by it not being faked was that yes, it's a real car on a real dam, and the winch fitted to it is pulling it up while a guy inside keeps it steered straight. Obviously it's set up and doesn't match properly if you watch carefully - the 90 drives off a different section at the end than the one it came up on.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Someone snapped this pic of me and posted it on facebook. It was from saturday while christmas tree hunting. I broke trail for everyone.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
That would make an awesome Christmas card.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
That, sir, is an amazing picture.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You gotta get the good ones way in the back.

Great picture!

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I had a fun weekend doing some lanes with a friend. Losing all my lights because of a switch failure wasn't much fun, but rectified by a blade fuse and some wire cutting.

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011
Went out on a group run today, I felt a little outmatched surrounded by mostly toyotas on 35"+ tires. Thankfully some stock trucks came and joined at the trailhead.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT
Did some four wheeling today in Union, Connecticut. Trail hasn't been used in at least a year, I had to drag some huge branches out of the way..

Found this old fender skirt sitting on an ancient foundation..

This pine tree was too deep in the water to hook the strap to, so I drove over it. I had to adjust my side mirror after.

All images my hosting. Truck is my 1991 Toyota hilux / pickup, 3vze, 3" lift, 31" tires, otherwise stock save for MSD ignition, 22re rear end, Buick driveshaft front bumper, intake and side exit cherry bomb.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Obese Wallaby posted:

Went out on a group run today, I felt a little outmatched surrounded by mostly toyotas on 35"+ tires. Thankfully some stock trucks came and joined at the trailhead.

Thats okay, Those Toyotas on 35's should feel outmatched by that stock u1300L ? Unimog.

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011
U1550L, actually.
Here's a closer picture. I don't know if he's camperized the box on the back, though the ladder was set up most of the time he was parked.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ACEofsnett posted:

Did some four wheeling today in Union, Connecticut. Trail hasn't been used in at least a year, I had to drag some huge branches out of the way..

This pine tree was too deep in the water to hook the strap to, so I drove over it. I had to adjust my side mirror after.

All images my hosting. Truck is my 1991 Toyota hilux / pickup, 3vze, 3" lift, 31" tires, otherwise stock save for MSD ignition, 22re rear end, Buick driveshaft front bumper, intake and side exit cherry bomb.

you're literally miles away from where I live, up by the Southbridge airport. Wanna go wheeling sometime? I haven't found many public trails around here but my club has access to some pretty good private land in the area.

I rock a 91 Jeep Comanche, 3-4" lift, 33" rubber.

e: Geared Hub, I was going to say I would only accept a tow from an H1 or earlier, no H2s/H3s allowed, but then I remembered the time a friend of mine pulled my jeep out of a snowbank with... his 97 honda wagon :eng99:

I had decided to blow through a snowbank in a half plowed parking lot but then pussied out halfway through and ended up stuck. On the other hand I think I pulled his honda out of icy parking spaces (wheels not stuck, just no traction) at least 30 times that winter. Usual morning routine was "1. wake up and shower, leave for work 2. detour to pull Jack out of a parking space so he can get to work 3. drive to work"

kastein fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 29, 2011

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pja6vKnEV4E&feature=related

So much for "airing down" before going out on a trail. I wonder how these are for gas mileage.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

kastein posted:

you're literally miles away from where I live, up by the Southbridge airport. Wanna go wheeling sometime? I haven't found many public trails around here but my club has access to some pretty good private land in the area.

I rock a 91 Jeep Comanche, 3-4" lift, 33" rubber.

e: Geared Hub, I was going to say I would only accept a tow from an H1 or earlier, no H2s/H3s allowed, but then I remembered the time a friend of mine pulled my jeep out of a snowbank with... his 97 honda wagon :eng99:

I had decided to blow through a snowbank in a half plowed parking lot but then pussied out halfway through and ended up stuck. On the other hand I think I pulled his honda out of icy parking spaces (wheels not stuck, just no traction) at least 30 times that winter. Usual morning routine was "1. wake up and shower, leave for work 2. detour to pull Jack out of a parking space so he can get to work 3. drive to work"

You're in Southbridge? No poo poo. I'm from Stafford, originally, but I just moved down to Naugatuck. I spend most of my time at My girl's house in Southbridge, right on Charlton street. Did you get any damage from the tornado?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ACEofsnett posted:

You're in Southbridge? No poo poo. I'm from Stafford, originally, but I just moved down to Naugatuck. I spend most of my time at My girl's house in Southbridge, right on Charlton street. Did you get any damage from the tornado?

drat, that's really close by. I'm a few blocks up on Pleasant St, my place is half a mile from the tornado path. I moved in the day it happened and didn't have home insurance yet, was making GBS threads bricks on my way home from work that day since it happened while I was driving down 20 and most of my friends were panicking and trying to find out if I was still alive.

I was just down in Stafford for the speedway swap meet, picked up some jerry cans and a 4.88 R&P for the ford 8.8 I'm building for another of my jeeps.

e: wait a sec, is her place the one over near mass ave / commercial drive with the jeep parked in the yard? I've seen that a couple times on my way out of town.

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 29, 2011

TheMajesticGHawk
Feb 18, 2011

ASK ME (About living the dream)

ACEofsnett posted:

Famous last words:
"Otherwise stock except for:"

Does the random misfire come stock too? :chord:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

commissargribb posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pja6vKnEV4E&feature=related

So much for "airing down" before going out on a trail. I wonder how these are for gas mileage.

I can't imagine those being rated for highway usage. The way that they flex so much seems to indicate that they would build up a ton of heat doing anything more than puttering around on rocks. I can't imagine that that honeycomb is any good for biting at mud either (and you'd never get it all out).

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

TheMajesticGHawk posted:

Famous last words:
"Otherwise stock except for:"

Does the random misfire come stock too? :chord:

It's a 3VZE, so yes.

kastein posted:

drat, that's really close by. I'm a few blocks up on Pleasant St, my place is half a mile from the tornado path. I moved in the day it happened and didn't have home insurance yet, was making GBS threads bricks on my way home from work that day since it happened while I was driving down 20 and most of my friends were panicking and trying to find out if I was still alive.

I was just down in Stafford for the speedway swap meet, picked up some jerry cans and a 4.88 R&P for the ford 8.8 I'm building for another of my jeeps.

e: wait a sec, is her place the one over near mass ave / commercial drive with the jeep parked in the yard? I've seen that a couple times on my way out of town.

You mean that lifted red cherokee that I've seen around town a few times? Either way, no jeeps here.

My dad and I actually had a booth at the Stafford Fall swap meet this year, you may have seen us. Anyway, yeah, my girl's mom lives in Rosemeade, the tornado passed right over, ripped the place to shreds. We were a mile away, thinking nothing had happened. Come to find out, most of the area was just gone. We had to park and walk up the road toward your area, thinking the entire time most of her family was dead. Bad times for everyone.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

ACEofsnett posted:

It's a 3VZE, so yes.

You mean that lifted red cherokee that I've seen around town a few times? Either way, no jeeps here.

My dad and I actually had a booth at the Stafford Fall swap meet this year, you may have seen us. Anyway, yeah, my girl's mom lives in Rosemeade, the tornado passed right over, ripped the place to shreds. We were a mile away, thinking nothing had happened. Come to find out, most of the area was just gone. We had to park and walk up the road toward your area, thinking the entire time most of her family was dead. Bad times for everyone.

nope, I've never seen this one driving, just parked in the yard.

Huh. I think I went by most of the booths but not sure. You probably saw me walk by with like 4 jerry cans tied to my belt and arms on the way out, I didn't plan my purchases well.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

EightBit posted:

I can't imagine those being rated for highway usage. The way that they flex so much seems to indicate that they would build up a ton of heat doing anything more than puttering around on rocks. I can't imagine that that honeycomb is any good for biting at mud either (and you'd never get it all out).

I bet.

I would imagine with a set of treaded sidewalls, the problems with the honeycomb would be negated but there's still the issue of highway use.

Swiber
Aug 18, 2004
Went out today. Could have turned it brown but i was bottoming out in the ruts of the corn field.
Edit: pic size

Swiber fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 31, 2011

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Pop quiz, hotshots:

You have $3000 to spend on a 4x4 vehicle that will be used to take yourself and your sons from the Bay Area to the Sierra Nevadas once or twice a month. Your mechanical knowledge is enough to change spark plugs, oil filters, and such but you've never removed an engine or replaced a tranny (yet you're smart enough to read and understand a Haynes manual.)

What vehicle do you buy? A Cherokee, 4Runner, Disco I, Explorer, or something else?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you want to learn how to work on cars, go Landie. If you want good aftermarket support and sensible prices, Jeep. Toyota tends to mean higher prices, but good reliability (save for some engines being less than brilliant). I don't really have an opinion on Explorers.

In your position, I'd probably buy an XJ with a 4.0.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Oxford Comma posted:

Pop quiz, hotshots:

You have $3000 to spend on a 4x4 vehicle that will be used to take yourself and your sons from the Bay Area to the Sierra Nevadas once or twice a month. Your mechanical knowledge is enough to change spark plugs, oil filters, and such but you've never removed an engine or replaced a tranny (yet you're smart enough to read and understand a Haynes manual.)

What vehicle do you buy? A Cherokee, 4Runner, Disco I, Explorer, or something else?

I would say either a cherokee or 4runner. It also depends if you're actually taking it offroad.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

InitialDave posted:

If you want to learn how to work on cars, go Landie. If you want good aftermarket support and sensible prices, Jeep. Toyota tends to mean higher prices, but good reliability (save for some engines being less than brilliant). I don't really have an opinion on Explorers.

In your position, I'd probably buy an XJ with a 4.0.

What engines on the 4Runners are good, and which ones aren't? If I buy a Disco, I'm told that the Disco I is better and more reliable (heh) than a Disco II. The upper crust snob in me is pushing me towards a Disco pretty badly.

NinjaTech posted:

I would say either a cherokee or 4runner. It also depends if you're actually taking it offroad.

I'm not planning on doing any intense Rubicon trail-type stuff with it. But I do intend to go off road or on lovely logging roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

Oxford Comma posted:

What engines on the 4Runners are good, and which ones aren't? If I buy a Disco, I'm told that the Disco I is better and more reliable (heh) than a Disco II. The upper crust snob in me is pushing me towards a Disco pretty badly.

I'm not planning on doing any intense Rubicon trail-type stuff with it. But I do intend to go off road or on lovely logging roads.

For 3k, the 4Runner would be a 1st or 2nd gen. Stick with the 4cylinder. The v6 has way more problems. The 22RE is a decent motor -- just don't expect it to be quick.

When I got my '87 4Runner turbo, I was on the fence between the 1st gen 4Runner and a Cherokee. I went with the 4Runner only due to the fact that the rear top can be removed and it can be used like a truck. While I suppose this is possible in theory, I've never actually pulled it off.