Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

LtSmash posted:

The Falling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints is pretty great. And while it didn't make much impact when I first read the book whats going on when we first meet it is pretty mind boggling. Culture people are in a 'war' bar and are watching live feeds of people fighting to the death elsewhere in the galaxy. That's horrifying and all on its own but the Culture has its hand in most of the wars out there. They are relaxing watching people kill each other in wars they collectively set in motion. And this is utopia?

This is one of the recurring themes of the culture books - for all the normal humans and drones and minds to enjoy a kickass utopia with all kinds of hobbies like lava surfing and poo poo you need a certain element that is willing to get dirty in ways that prissy future humanists won't and that can attract (require?) some extremely unsavory personalities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coriolis
Oct 23, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

One book I haven't seen discussed much is Surface Detail, what do you guys think about it? I thought it was decent but definitely didn't match up to any of the previous books.

I was able to enjoy it, but it's definitely not one of the better Culture books. I liked the warship, watching Veppers twirl his moustach, the scenes inside the Culture, and the first half of Lededje's arc, but the plot is a complete mess. Yime's arc is completely superfluous, Lededje's arc is rendered pretty much pointless by not killing Veppers when she had the chance, and the arrangements between Veppers and the Hell factions don't make a drat bit of sense. So the pro-Hell people entrusted their simulation to some fungus growing under some rich dude's estate (which he regularly shoots to pieces on his morning commute) in some comparatively savage civilization? Isn't that a bit like entrusting an important server farm to some stone-age New Guinea highlanders? And why didn't the anti-Hell guys tell him to gently caress off when he claimed he knew where the Hells were hosted, but he wasn't going to tell them until after they had constructed a billion-ship warfleet? It really strains credibility that a civilization as godlike as the Culture couldn't sniff out the location on its own, anyway. They couldn't have just disassembled the Soulkeepers (or whatever they used), or waited for an alien to die and tracked the data transmission? And apparently DRM will still be enforceable in the "interstellar empire" stage of civilization? And regarding Lededje, I thought the whole reason the Culture transported her back home (on a "rogue" warship) was so that they could kill Veppers with some level of deniability. "See? We didn't kill Veppers, that woman with obvious motive who we resurrected from the dead and rushed back to him as quick as we could did!" So unless I misinterpreted that part, doesn't having the warship kill Veppers pretty much bork the entire mission?

I really wish Banks would find a brutally honest editor and start taking his advice to heart. There's actually a really solid Culture novel here underneath some clunky plot structure and portions that should have been cut. The same could be said for Matter, I think. It's like the guy has been handing his first drafts straight to the printing presses lately.

Finally, I'm kind of displeased with the turn Banks has taken toward Involved galactic diplomacy. It's just my subjective taste, but I liked things better when the diplomacy was a lot more informal (or just hidden from us) and the Culture was more of an unstoppable puppetmaster sticking it's do-gooder nose into everyone else's business. The galaxy felt a lot more wild and unexplored back in the earlier novels. Now it feels like the Culture has to negotiate three levels of bureaucracy and get its papers stamped in duplicate just to move the protagonists into the action.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.

LtSmash posted:

I enjoyed it overall but it was kind of weak. There were some interesting threads but it just didn't seem as well developed as the other books. The hells, the Culture section that deals with sublimed, some more involved politics, what it means to be alive when virtual realities are real and the many simultaneous existences of Vatueil.

The Falling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints is pretty great. And while it didn't make much impact when I first read the book whats going on when we first meet it is pretty mind boggling. Culture people are in a 'war' bar and are watching live feeds of people fighting to the death elsewhere in the galaxy. That's horrifying and all on its own but the Culture has its hand in most of the wars out there. They are relaxing watching people kill each other in wars they collectively set in motion. And this is utopia?

I'm somewhat puzzled by two parts though:
1) Why go through the trouble of tricking Lededje into thinking she didn't have a slap drone but give her one anyway only to have it end up killing Veppers anyway when she wasn't able to?

2) Why was Yime in it at all? Her whole excursion is one possible contingency to deal with Lededje that SC already knows isn't needed. It never even comes back the way the similar arc in Excession does.

The Falling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints is a psychopath. It's a warship which happens to have that psychology mode always switched on it seems. It could of course be the natural personality of the Mind. It gives this away in it's lack of caring or lyinig about caring.

For instance the bit when Led talks about her rapes and TFOTNMC says"I'm so sorry." chilled me becasue it wasn't. Lack of care. It had a mission and later reveals an opinion of hating the biological shitbags or whatever to the Naptra Reliquarius ship. That might be a lie too but it seems right. The almost-fustration of having to keep her alive in a battle. The War bar where it doesn't give a poo poo, and then the 'I'm so friendly' bit when he tries to coax her on board. The gift of the tattoo - psychopaths give gifts to people that they consider treasured pets that they find useful or entertain them. (I know I have had it happen to me).

Then at the end he kills Veppers to save her doing it. She has been abused enough and vengence won't help her and he was built for that job. He ultimately wanted to kill lots of ships as his innate want and then, secondly mission's purpose demanded. Also sociopaths are insubbordinate, demonstarted by his difficult person avatar at the trial at the end. I think killing Veppers was a whim. He also had a 'pet' fondness for Led. She had opened up her personal experiences of the worst kind to him and it had a level of fascination, so it did it for her even though it didn't have to.

1)

Because the idea of this in the book is that -what if a slap drone is actually a Mind.

2)

World building I guess. They had to represnt the three factions of SC and their relationship to each other. Also below the surface detail, she was a spy. Lots of characters had an underneath personality that contradicted what they seemed to be. There was also a mention of the surface detail of the orbital where Led lived chucked in at the end I think.

My tuppence.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

LtSmash posted:

Does anyone like Transition? I thought it was breathtakingly bad. I never cared about who any of the characters were, what they were doing, why they were doing it, or what would happen next. The whole book felt like he had a half remembered dream about the transitioning concept and decided to just bang a book out for the hell of it that ended up lacking everything everything else I expect from and enjoy about Banks' writing.

I only remembered it because I was looking to see if there was any info around about his next book and stumbled on Transition release stuff instead. So has there been any word about his next book?

I really liked Transition. It felt like a strong exercise in restrained allegory where the author didn't lose control and just give everything away. How to communicate trans-dimensional, alien otherness within the constraints of what is potentially conceivable. Also, anal probes.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Anyone here read The Algebraist? Finished reading it a short while ago and thought it was a nice change from the usual Culture books. The character designs and worldbuilding were very creative, and I liked how the main character (and quite a few of the other guys) spends most of his time in a spacesuit because not everyone breathes the same air. However seems that Banks can't quite get away without having a liberal utopia somewhere and we end up with the Dwellers who are basically the Culture, except nonhuman, and living in gas giants. Would be interesting to see more of that universe, but he seems to have abandoned it since.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...
I used to be an avid Banks fan but the Culture novels eventually soured on me, so I abandoned Banks for several years - The Algebraist did tempt me back with the fact that it wasn't a Culture book. I felt that it had some interesting worldbuilding, with the Dwellers and their concept of "respect economy" with kudos as currency, which was an intriguing thought about how a post-scarcity utopia might still have drive and motivation. I do notice that Banks is starting to plagiarise himself, though - there's a scene in the Algebraist which he lifts directly from the sex-in-Morse-code incident in The Crow Road.

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 24, 2011

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Z the IVth posted:

Anyone here read The Algebraist? Finished reading it a short while ago and thought it was a nice change from the usual Culture books. The character designs and worldbuilding were very creative, and I liked how the main character (and quite a few of the other guys) spends most of his time in a spacesuit because not everyone breathes the same air. However seems that Banks can't quite get away without having a liberal utopia somewhere and we end up with the Dwellers who are basically the Culture, except nonhuman, and living in gas giants. Would be interesting to see more of that universe, but he seems to have abandoned it since.

I thought the Dwellers exhibited the some traits that we occasionally see in Minds, but I wouldn't say their society was much like the Culture, what with the chasing and enslaving of children (along with frequent child deaths, if I remember correctly), blood sports and aggressively isolationist policies. Their total disregard for the suffering of other life forms isn't very Culture-y either.

Everything else I agree with and I do think it's a shame he hasn't returned to what seems like a much more violent and tech-limited (non-FTL travel only apart from wormholes) universe.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Yeah, the Dwellers were more like a slightly-less-horrible Affront. I doubt you'd find the culture literally eating and/or enslaving their young.

The fact that they're not just decadent layabouts and have super weapons deep in their planets but just don't have a good reason to use them most of the time is awesome though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nah, their young just spend several thousand years being hunted for sport by their elders.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Let's T_Roll.
Alien psychology may seem more cruel because you can tweak the cooperation or the competition of a species with itself up or down. Antagonists probably will have some competition tweaked up in whatever respects usually.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Let's T_Roll.

gender illusionist posted:

Really? Is it available anywhere?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2d4zgvipME

Oh by the way BBC are doing Wasp Factory for Bookclub which starts today, but also repeated on Thursday and will also be available for a week after that on Iplayer.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006s5sf

FelchTragedy fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 6, 2011

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Amused Frog posted:

I thought the Dwellers exhibited the some traits that we occasionally see in Minds, but I wouldn't say their society was much like the Culture, what with the chasing and enslaving of children (along with frequent child deaths, if I remember correctly), blood sports and aggressively isolationist policies. Their total disregard for the suffering of other life forms isn't very Culture-y either.

Everything else I agree with and I do think it's a shame he hasn't returned to what seems like a much more violent and tech-limited (non-FTL travel only apart from wormholes) universe.
I loved the Dwellers because Banks spends the whole book building up the villain as the most sadistic, brutal, psychopathic monster who ever lived, and then his methods are completely ineffective in the face of incomprehensible alien psychology.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I finished The Player of Games recently, and boy was it cool. This is my second Culture novel, after Consider Phlebas, and I like the willingness Banks has to mention epic events without making them a focus. There's just so much going on that there's no room for all of these massive events and megastructures to get more than passing glances here and there. Like in Consider Phlebas, he mentions pockets of Idirans leaving the galaxy to start over in another one. Or the image of Shohobohaum Za leading offensive fronts against the Empire of Azad in its twilight.

Banks does a great job describing uncomfortable scenes. The stuff with the tv feeds meant for the upper crust of Azad was pretty wild and I felt like I was right there, reacting the same way as Gurgeh, while he watched.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Fray posted:

I loved the Dwellers because Banks spends the whole book building up the villain as the most sadistic, brutal, psychopathic monster who ever lived, and then his methods are completely ineffective in the face of incomprehensible alien psychology.

I loved the hostage situation where it really begins to show that he's in completely over his head with the dwellers.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Okay, I've got a question about drones in the Culture. Aren't drones considered to be citizens or whatever since the Culture operates on sentience? I'm reading Use of Weapons and Skaffen-Amtiskaw seems to be taking orders from and sometimes acting as a servant to Dizziet Sma- does Special Circumstances operate under different rules, then?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Okay, I've got a question about drones in the Culture. Aren't drones considered to be citizens or whatever since the Culture operates on sentience? I'm reading Use of Weapons and Skaffen-Amtiskaw seems to be taking orders from and sometimes acting as a servant to Dizziet Sma- does Special Circumstances operate under different rules, then?

I think that's pretty much just a rank thing. Even though they supposedly don't have rank, in SC and so on I think some beings are placed under the command of others.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
It isn't too formal though, as in there doesn't seem to be any hierarchy Skaffen-Amtiskaw and Sma have to observe. The drone was probably just asked by someone else in SC to help out Sma as a favor, and then stuck to her side because they're friends or it likes the work (such as slicing people to bloody ribbons with its knife missiles).

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lasting Damage posted:

(such as slicing people to bloody ribbons with its knife missiles).

It's nice to be able to have a job that you love so much. :allears:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Unlike that poor module in Excession that just wanted to hang out and pretend it was an awesome renaissance hero/castle/whatever.

:(

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I started reading Feersum Endjinn and I was wondering if I could skip the "weird" chapters without missing out on the general story?

I tried reading that.....thing but it just gave me a headache, seriously what was he thinking?

If reading that crap is necessary I'll just put down the book and start reading Matter which is the next Banks book in line for me.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

I started reading Feersum Endjinn and I was wondering if I could skip the "weird" chapters without missing out on the general story?

I tried reading that.....thing but it just gave me a headache, seriously what was he thinking?

If reading that crap is necessary I'll just put down the book and start reading Matter which is the next Banks book in line for me.

Read Matter then. Don't worry, one day you will be ready for Feersum Endjinn. And don't read The Bridge if you dislike the phonetic chapters in Feersum Endjinn, it's very similar.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

TjyvTompa posted:

You will find that you get Bascule's speak after a while and its worth it. It is a bit annoying to start off with sure but hang in there. I found the phonetic poo poo rather good fun once id got used to it.

Graviton v2 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 29, 2011

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Any UK goons who live vaguely near the Norwich area might be interested to know that Banks is doing a lecture at the UEA in May. I'm not entirely sure what it'll be about, but I'm assuming it'll focus on his work.

You can book tickets here: http://www.ueaticketbookings.co.uk/events/iain-banks.aspx

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Just finished Use of Weapons and I thought the Chairmaker reveal was shocking, but then the ending! I was ambivalent about the structure of the book and then the last page just completely sold me on it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
New Culture book, October 4: The Hydrogen Sonata

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

New Culture book, October 4: The Hydrogen Sonata

Well, suicide cancelled I guess.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's a very odd title for a Culture book.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MikeJF posted:

That's a very odd title for a Culture book.

Oh great, gas giant dwellers again.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Hey, let's not go leaping to conclusions here! Hydrogen is only slightly less common than Matter :v:

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Not unless he retcons the dwellers into the Culture-verse.

My wild guess from the title is the main character (or token human at this point I guess) is a composer who accidentally (or so it appears at first) gets wrapped up in Mind business after they take an interest in him/her.

Can't wait.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
So, fuddy duddy old ship Mind or new, fast, fully automatic armada stomping ship Mind?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
gently caress, in the space of 5 minutes I find out this news, and then that Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter are collaborating on a Sliders-esque sci-fi series. :flashfap:

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Oh man, this is awesome. I wonder if he'll talk about it during his lecture? If he doesn't and he allows questions, I'm going to risk being a terrible nerd and ask him about it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

poo poo, I own them all on paperback, do I get the next one for my Kindle or add to my collection... :ohdear:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

poo poo, I own them all on paperback, do I get the next one for my Kindle or add to my collection... :ohdear:

Get the actual book. I know I will. I love my Kindle and hardly buy any physical books anymore but my Banks collection is something else.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Just finished Use of Weapons. Without a doubt one of the most powerful endings of anything ever.

Quick question for verification: on their century-long space voyage, the cryogenically frozen woman Elethiomel opens the coffin of and has to hold himself back not to kill, is Livvy, right?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Joramun posted:

Just finished Use of Weapons. Without a doubt one of the most powerful endings of anything ever.

Quick question for verification: on their century-long space voyage, the cryogenically frozen woman Elethiomel opens the coffin of and has to hold himself back not to kill, is Livvy, right?

I literally finished it about an hour ago, and that was the distinct impression I got. I think the implication is heavy, considering that Livvy says specifically that she was on the ship, but lost track of him after Sma first extracts him.

I think that the moral to Consider Phlebas was really the point of the entire book.. To me, the theme seemed overwhelmingly to be that despite the visceral action of the book, Absolutely none of it mattered. At first, I was disappointed with the ending, especially considering the grand ideas of the epilogue history, but in hindsight it was a pretty good message, although unwieldy considering he used the entire book to make the point.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

mcustic posted:

Get the actual book. I know I will. I love my Kindle and hardly buy any physical books anymore but my Banks collection is something else.
Yeah will have to now you've said this! :)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I hit the end of Use of Weapons and just sat there slackjawed for a little bit. Goddamn.

I recently finished Player of Games, and holy poo poo but that was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I've only read Player of Games by Banks so far, and my plan was to jump back to Consider Phlebas next, but all this talk of Use of Weapons' ending makes me want to pick that one up next instead. :neckbeard:

• Locked thread