Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

My Macbook Pro's keyboard won't illuminate. I press the illumination buttons (f5, f6) and the brightness bar pops up with a dashed circle beneath it. Anyone know about this, and how I can fix it? Googling only brings me to questions about the physical illumination light being broken.

edit:

Seem to have fixed it. They don't illuminate when it's very bright (I'm near a window, so it makes sense). It would be nice if they stayed illuminated regardless, but I digress.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dirty Job posted:

My Macbook Pro's keyboard won't illuminate. I press the illumination buttons (f5, f6) and the brightness bar pops up with a dashed circle beneath it. Anyone know about this, and how I can fix it? Googling only brings me to questions about the physical illumination light being broken.

edit:

Seem to have fixed it. They don't illuminate when it's very bright (I'm near a window, so it makes sense). It would be nice if they stayed illuminated regardless, but I digress.

There's a setting to turn the automatic brightness of the keyboard light on/off, I think.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Olivil posted:

Do refurbs quickly appear on the store after launch?

People have answered most everything else, but refurbs generally take around three months or so to hit after a refresh. Also don't get the Apple Wired Mouse. If anything get the Magic Mouse and sell it if you want a wired one. Apple Wired mouse sucks and even if you don't like the Magic Mouse there are a ton of better options.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Just borrowed some money and bought the top 27 inch model (i5 2500S, Radeon HD 6970m 1GB) for less than the base 27 inch (1660$). Should receive it next week, didn't see the option to ship it to the Apple Store so I'll get the bluetooth keyboard and the Magic Mouse, pretty stoked! :)

On another note, why isn't the Magic Mouse battery bug fixed yet? Still displaying 100% on my MBP on latest updates no matter the actual battery level..

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You'll love it. The 27" is the best computer Apple has made. Run so quiet and cool while still being powerful and also has one of the best displays on the market.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011
Is the dust problem on the imacs as common as it seems (because I've heard quite a bit about it) or is that a matter of people having problems being the loudest?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

step aside posted:

Is the dust problem on the imacs as common as it seems (because I've heard quite a bit about it) or is that a matter of people having problems being the loudest?

We have like 15 and nobody either has the dust or has noticed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

step aside posted:

First I'm hearing of this?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

step aside posted:

Just keep your iMac and computer area generally clean and theres nothing to worry about.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011
Well that's good to hear. I'm neither a smoker nor a complete slob so I should probably be fine then.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I have a 20" iMac with a 2.6ghz Core 2 Duo, 320gb hdd, 2gb Ram and the HD2600 pro 256mb gfx card in it. Whats this worth in GBP? sellamac reckons $375 but that seems a little low to me?

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Does anybody have any experience with Corsair Force Series 3 SSDs and a 2011 MBP?
Apparently these SSDs offer a lot of bang for the buck and I've always liked Corsair products and support ...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

duep posted:

Does anybody have any experience with Corsair Force Series 3 SSDs and a 2011 MBP?
Apparently these SSDs offer a lot of bang for the buck and I've always liked Corsair products and support ...
A friend got one for his Mac Mini and it was a dud.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

duep posted:

Corsair's memory products and power supplies stink according to the return rates that were posted. Not sure how their SSD's are any better.

Kittykisses
Mar 20, 2009
Hello goons, I'm hoping to get some buying advice.

I'm a long time PC user and programmer needing a new laptop, and I'm also looking to get started in iOS development. My price range is around $1100, and currently I'm mulling between a refurb 13'' low end MBA and a refurb 15'' 2010 low end MBP. I'd be using it for the usual web surfing/video streaming, iOS and potentially lite web development, and I would like to be able to do low end gaming. By low end gaming I mostly mean LAN-ing with friends; I don't mind running everything on its lowest settings but I'd like to be able to play source games and potentially others like SWTOR and Diablo 3 with an ok frame rate.

I'd really like a 15'' screen but anything above the low end 2010 MBP refurb is way out of my price range (and even that is really pushing it). I think I'd be ok sacrificing 2'' of screen real estate for the extra portability of the MBA.

I guess my main concerns are whether I'm taking a bigger performance hit from the lack of gpu in the MBA or the last Gen i5 CPU in the 2010 MBP. I don't really care about hdd space and would actually prefer the performance boost with the MBA ssd over larger capacity of a mechanical drive. But still, that 15'' screen on the MBP would be pretty nice.

Any opinions or anyone using either of these laptops for similar purposes that could share their thoughts?

garrodd
Oct 6, 2010
I know more about computers than your average person, but I am in no way proficient enough to trust myself over this decision. Can anyone explain to me why I would purchase the $1200 Macbook Pro over something like this? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1165572&CatId=4938

As far as I can tell they're equivalent in all the parts that actually matter except for the optical drive, and I can get an external one for $30 and be happy with that and still spend $500 less. Even the free through rebate printer I can get is only $70 off of that same website. Am I missing something? For reference, I'm going off of the system specs found at http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html and using the cheapest options available.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The 15" is stupid huge compared to the 13" Air. They also have the same screen resolution.

The Air is definitely not a gaming laptop but some games it'd work at slightly lower resolutions than native:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4528/the-2011-macbook-air-11-13inch-review/11

Depending on the if the game places a bigger load on the CPU or GPU will decide if the new Air is faster than the old Air, but I wouldn't get a C2D over an i5 these days.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

garrodd posted:

I know more about computers than your average person, but I am in no way proficient enough to trust myself over this decision. Can anyone explain to me why I would purchase the $1200 Macbook Pro over something like this? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1165572&CatId=4938

As far as I can tell they're equivalent in all the parts that actually matter except for the optical drive, and I can get an external one for $30 and be happy with that and still spend $500 less. Even the free through rebate printer I can get is only $70 off of that same website. Am I missing something? For reference, I'm going off of the system specs found at http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html and using the cheapest options available.

Spec for spec, Mac laptops are going to cost more. You also won't find a PC laptop with the build quality, amazing touchpad,OS X, etc. Buy the $1200 Macbook Pro at Microcenter (or other places that have them on sale) for $999 to ease the pain.

edit: DO YOU WANT TO DRIVE A KIA OR A BMW LOL

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

These should be added to the OP that nobody reads:

Anandtech's Mac Reviews:

Current Macbook Air models: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4528/the-2011-macbook-air-11-13inch-review
2011 11" Air i7 update: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4554/apples-11inch-macbook-air-core-i7-18ghz-review-update

Macbook Air 2010 models: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3991/apples-2010-macbook-air-11-13inch-reviewed
2010 11" 2GB vs 4GB: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4000/apples-11inch-upgraded-macbook-air-review-do-16ghz-and-4gb-make-a-difference

Original model Macbook Air:http://www.anandtech.com/show/2445
(Don't but this one unless you're an idiot)

Current 15" Macbook Pro review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5113/apple-15inch-macbook-pro-late-2011-review
Early-2011 13"/15" Macbook Pro review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4205/the-macbook-pro-review-13-and-15-inch-2011-brings-sandy-bridge
13" Macbook Pro - Windows review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3889/apple-macbook-pro-13-as-windows7-laptop

Thunderbolt Display review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4832/the-apple-thunderbolt-display-review

2011 iMac review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4340/27inch-apple-imac-review-2011

Mid-2010 Mac Pro review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3969/apple-mac-pro-mid-2010-review
Mid-2010 Mac Mini review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3843/apple-mac-mini-review-mid-2010

garrodd
Oct 6, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Spec for spec, Mac laptops are going to cost more. You also won't find a PC laptop with the build quality, amazing touchpad,OS X, etc.

I guess I'm just having a hard time justifying it to myself because I've never really had any problems with non-mac versions of those things. When you factor in getting used to a new OS (haven't seriously used a Mac since the late 90s) maybe it's just not for me, which is fine. That's what I'm trying to determine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

garrodd posted:

I guess I'm just having a hard time justifying it to myself because I've never really had any problems with non-mac versions of those things. When you factor in getting used to a new OS (haven't seriously used a Mac since the late 90s) maybe it's just not for me, which is fine. That's what I'm trying to determine.

If you don't like it, you'll be able to sell it for pretty close to what you paid for it, so keep that in mind.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Having a few fun and games with this Mac Mini (Mid 2011) I picked up today.

First, bluetooth keyboard + trackpad wouldn't pair to it during setup assistant. I made sure they were unpaired from the Air, but they didn't register.Whipped out a USB keyb/mouse and did a migration from the Air.

After that finished, did a Software Update to pick up some Mini specific bits, rebooted, got a kernel panic :( but was fine after it rebooted. Bluetooth now also recognised the keyboard / trackpad so that's fine.

Migration really works nice - pretty much everything was setup how I had it on the Air, very pleased with that, which just leaves one small issue.

Every now and then, I've not been able to time it as it's only happened three times so far, there's a weirdly high pitched squealing that lasts 1 - 1.5 seconds then stops. I guess it's coming from the internal speaker, although I can't be sure. Disk Utility doesn't show any SMART issues with the disk - anyone familiar with this issue and know what causes it? Could Migration assistant have pulled over some Macbook Air driver by accident and its causing some kind of conflict?

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

garrodd posted:

I was in your position two years ago and assumed Macs were overpriced toys for hipsters - I still wanted one, but couldn't justify the price.

I was offered a contract developing for the iPhone and was forced to pick up a 13" MacBook Pro which I quickly fell in love with. Despite that, when I wanted to upgrade, I bought a PC again because I just couldn't bring myself to pay the extra money for a Mac. The PC crashes a lot and just feels very cheap and clunky. For 90% of tasks my old Macbook feels smoother despite only having 1/2 the power.

Now I'm saving up for the next MBP refresh because I stupidly gave my old Macbook away to my girlfriend when I got the PC. All in all I've used more money trying to save money by not buying a Mac than if I'd just bought the Mac in the first place. :v:

A Mac might not be for you, but for me specs were definitely a red-herring.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

garrodd posted:

You never have had a problem with the non-Mac versions because you've likely never spent a lot of time with the Mac versions. I cringe every time I have to use my work laptop trackpad, have to constantly remember never to sit anything next to its vents, hate dealing with illogically placed controls, etc. It's really a lot of intangible stuff that makes owning a Mac a great experience. Specs aren't really a part of it, in the end. You're almost always going to pay more, in the end, for a similarly specced MacBook Pro versus a PC. This becomes slightly less true when talking about MacBook Airs, and considering the $1000 display attached to every iMac, pretty negligible there.

One of the biggest parts of owning a Mac, in most cases, especially if build quality isn't a serious concern, is going to be OSX. A Mac is going to be the only thing to (officially) run OS X, while also running pretty much any other operating system you want to throw on it. Usually, you're buying it for OS X as much as you are for the device itself. If you're not going to use or enjoy OS X, it becomes a much easier decision. But there's an integration of software/hardware with a Mac that you don't get from PCs, and everything just feels a lot... smoother. If you're seriously considering it, I'd buy one, either from the Apple Store since I'm aware of their return policy, or from somewhere that also has a decent return policy, and use it for a solid two weeks. That will tell you if the experience is worth it or not.

Also, never pay retail for Macs. Go refurb, or MicroCenter deals, or Education Center, or Amazon first. Apple Store prices are last resort. Definitely check Apple Refurbs: they're good as new, carry the same warranty, and you'll get plenty of people advocating them from personal experience in this thread and elsewhere.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's also nice having Apple Stores everywhere so you can just bring your computer in for repairs.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

If you buy a mac from amazon can you change the os' language. Actually dumb question if you get the os discs with it you could just reinstall. Just to be safe, the language won't be a thing?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

It's also nice having Apple Stores everywhere so you can just bring your computer in for repairs.

It also sucks if there isn't one by you, and you have to drive 2 hours (past like 8 Best Buys) to get to the closest ont.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

It also sucks if there isn't one by you, and you have to drive 2 hours (past like 8 Best Buys) to get to the closest ont.

I miss it when they just sent you a box and told you to give it to the UPS guy.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

RobattoJesus posted:

I was in your position two years ago and assumed Macs were overpriced toys for hipsters - I still wanted one, but couldn't justify the price.

I was offered a contract developing for the iPhone and was forced to pick up a 13" MacBook Pro which I quickly fell in love with. Despite that, when I wanted to upgrade, I bought a PC again because I just couldn't bring myself to pay the extra money for a Mac. The PC crashes a lot and just feels very cheap and clunky. For 90% of tasks my old Macbook feels smoother despite only having 1/2 the power.

Now I'm saving up for the next MBP refresh because I stupidly gave my old Macbook away to my girlfriend when I got the PC. All in all I've used more money trying to save money by not buying a Mac than if I'd just bought the Mac in the first place. :v:

A Mac might not be for you, but for me specs were definitely a red-herring.

Somebody should put THIS in the OP nobody reads. And I was saying nobody reads it before anybody else said they didn't read it.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ptier posted:

Can't you call their 800 number and get this service?

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Comatoast posted:

Can't you call their 800 number and get this service?

They will still do it sometimes if you whine that you are too far from a store. However they will probably get more obstinate if it's an iMac or MacPro.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ptier posted:

obstinate

Typo, or real word?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ptier posted:

You get a bubble mailer for an Air return.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Typo, or real word?

El Duke posted:

Also, never pay retail for Macs. Go refurb, or MicroCenter deals, or Education Center, or Amazon first. Apple Store prices are last resort. Definitely check Apple Refurbs: they're good as new, carry the same warranty, and you'll get plenty of people advocating them from personal experience in this thread and elsewhere.

This is true. My last two MBPs have been refurbs and they were/are perfect. My brother recently bought a refurb 2011 MBP that had the optical line-in switch stuck on and Apple actually mailed him a new machine next-day.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Bob Morales posted:

Typo, or real word?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Personally I would never buy a plastic piece of poo poo computer ever again.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

That was a joke because I have never heard someone use 'obstinate' in actual conversation.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Personally I would never buy a plastic piece of poo poo computer ever again.

Good thing Apple stopped making the Macbook then!

I loved my first-gen white Macbook, but even the last model they produced doesn't hold a candle to the aluminum unibodies in terms of build quality.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

MacBooks were Apple's albatrosses for the longest time. It had the splintering hand rest issue, logic boards kept burning out just south of AppleCare, and their screens were the shittiest quality. Some models had Firewire missing and pretty much all of them except one nVidia 320m based model got shafted on decent GPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

That was a joke because I have never heard someone use 'obstinate' in actual conversation.

You should try to make some friends with an educational background beyond middle school