Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

It's little poo poo like this that makes me want a Mac. OSX has a lot of cool features that Windows is lacking and hurts my work flow. Not sure of a word's meaning or looking or a synonym? Right click, check dictionary. No need to open a browser and go to dictionary/thesaurus.com, the OS itself has you covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think that's just a Safari thing. This is what it looks like when I right click a word on Firefox 9.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 29, 2011

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
In Chrome it has the look up in dictionary, but it makes it a popup window rather than a nifty little popin.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Butt Savage posted:

It's little poo poo like this that makes me want a Mac. OSX has a lot of cool features that Windows is lacking and hurts my work flow. Not sure of a word's meaning or looking or a synonym? Right click, check dictionary. No need to open a browser and go to dictionary/thesaurus.com, the OS itself has you covered.

Right Click, then scroll hit a menu option? What a waste of effort.

Three finger double tap on the trackpad. Double tap above the Apple logo on my Magic Mouse.

Edit: It's not a Safari thing. It's system wide. http://www.cultofmac.com/106505/how-to-get-a-dictionary-definition-anywhere-in-os-x-lion/

El Duke Silver fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 29, 2011

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

El Duke posted:

Right Click, then scroll hit a menu option? What a waste of effort.

Three finger double tap on the trackpad. Double tap above the Apple logo on my Magic Mouse.

Edit: It's not a Safari thing. It's system wide. http://www.cultofmac.com/106505/how-to-get-a-dictionary-definition-anywhere-in-os-x-lion/

Holy poo poo! :aaaaa:

I can never remember the keyboard sequence. This is so much easier.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Typo, or real word?

I will admit that Chrome helped with the spelling a little.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ptier posted:

I will admit that Chrome helped with the spelling a little.

At least you didn't say 'whilst' :argh:

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

At least you didn't say 'whilst' :argh:

I mean, I knew the word I wanted, "obstinate", because my cat is that whenever I have to give her a pill. /derail

I want to see some $800 Mac Minis in the refurb store for $750 or some such soon. I have 2 monitors and one is feeling lonely with the 13" MBP as my main machine.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

El Duke posted:

Holy crap, thanks!

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

andyf posted:

Every now and then, I've not been able to time it as it's only happened three times so far, there's a weirdly high pitched squealing that lasts 1 - 1.5 seconds then stops.

Seems I found a temporary fix for this so far by pulling out the USB dock connector cable for my iphone. Not made any noise since then. Most strange.

edit - gently caress it, the thing made noises again, including just now that scared the hell out of me like an old 28k modem mistraining. Gonna google a bit more and then I guess schedule a time at the nearby (50 miles :( ) apple store

andyf fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 30, 2011

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

RobattoJesus posted:

I was in your position two years ago and assumed Macs were overpriced toys for hipsters - I still wanted one, but couldn't justify the price.

I was offered a contract developing for the iPhone and was forced to pick up a 13" MacBook Pro which I quickly fell in love with. Despite that, when I wanted to upgrade, I bought a PC again because I just couldn't bring myself to pay the extra money for a Mac. The PC crashes a lot and just feels very cheap and clunky. For 90% of tasks my old Macbook feels smoother despite only having 1/2 the power.

Now I'm saving up for the next MBP refresh because I stupidly gave my old Macbook away to my girlfriend when I got the PC. All in all I've used more money trying to save money by not buying a Mac than if I'd just bought the Mac in the first place. :v:

A Mac might not be for you, but for me specs were definitely a red-herring.

Get a mac at a mac store and try it for a week. Return it and buy one on Amazon or Apple Refurb if you liked it (it'll be much cheaper that way).

I was skeptical at buying a 13" MBA, but it's my main computer now. The build quality is amazing. It feels solid, unlike any of the other plastic crappy ultrabooks that have come out recently. The trackpads on the macs are awesome, and I'll probably buy macs in the future if I ever go crazy and don't use OSX even. The trackpad is just that good.

I was issued a Lenovo when I started at my latest job. It loving sucked. Keyboard was all mangled, trackpad was hilariously small and unusable, and the 'keyboard light' is a light that shines down on the keyboard and illuminates it inconsistently. It was laughably half-assed in pretty much every way. People say Lenovo is the best notebook manufacturer too! Thankfully my job issues macs as well so I swapped out for a 13" MBP (yeah couldn't get an air :() and I've been happy ever since. I had a few colleagues order a MBP within hours of receiving mine because they saw how awesome it was!

Having a mac does make you look :smug: to pretty much anyone that doesn't have one, however, but it's just because they are jealous.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 30, 2011

68Bird
Sep 2, 2004
When you're going to be buying something that'll be used on a daily basis for the next couple years, I think it's easier to justify a higher priced product that makes your life a little smoother. I got my first Mac, a 13'' MBA, this summer when the Sandy Bridge models came out, and unless Windows 8 really blows my socks off, I think I'll be purchasing a 15'' MBP and a Thunderbolt equipped monitor in another year or so to replace my desktop. My buddy got a new 15'' Dell laptop at the same time I got my MBA, and the hardware and software synergy (I've used this word in a sentence in real life) of the MBA makes a better overall experience.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I think that's just a Safari thing. This is what it looks like when I right click a word on Firefox 9.

As mentioned it's system wide, but I think depends on the app using the standard text services, which I guess Firefox (or Chrome iirc) still doesn't after all these years.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I have a bit of a problem.

A while back I noticed that whenever I put my MBP on a table the (I'm guessing) hard drive (I replaced the original 5400RPM one with a 500GB Seagate 7200RPM) spinning makes the whole surface vibrate and it's making this REALLY annoying buzz. Sometimes I stop hearing it but then it pops up again. I am slowly going insane.

I checked and the drive is properly in it's supports. Anyone else have this issue. Could I stick something between the drive and the body to isolate it even more?

Ugh, there it goes again.

gently caress!

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Has anyone had their AirPort hardware in a Macbook Pro (late 2008 15") just flat out disappear, according to the OS? Alternatively, does anyone know something i can get to replace it? (have 2 USB WiFi adapters that only work in windows, and have to use my iphone as my wifi connection with MyWi in Lion). Apparently no WiFi hardware manufacturers give a flying poo poo about Mac drivers.

I got a shiny new SSD and a memory upgrade for my aging MBP for christmas. Dropped the poo poo in, got it working, and since then, no WiFi hardware detected in both Lion and Windows 7. I've put the old ram back in, booted from my old hard drive, and nothing. No Wireless Hardware detected. (everything else is fine though).

Since the AirPort card sits in the screen bezel, I've checked both connections coming from the display, have reseated and they seem fine. (one side is display/airport and the other is for the webcam, i believe).

I guess my options are

1) fruit stand out-of-warranty repairs
2) risk 100 and get a new airport card from powerbookmedic , tear everything apart myself
3) find an expresscard wireless card that works in Lion and Windows 7 (seemingly impossible)
4) deal with it. be sad.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

nm

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 30, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I remember a few people saying that their Macs have been dropping their wifi connection sporadically. Well my 2010 iMac started doing it a few days ago and I think I fixed it, but i"m not sure which step actually did it. It's a weird problem where it drops my wifi network but it doesn't immediately reconnect online even though I have it set to auto connect to remembered networks.

1. I unplugged my cable modem for a minute and plugged it back in. Did the same with my wireless router.
2. Reset the SMC http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964
3. Reset the PRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

It's been over a day now and my wifi has not dropped once. A few days ago it was happening several times throughout the day.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Which wireless router?

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

Has anyone had their AirPort hardware in a Macbook Pro (late 2008 15") just flat out disappear, according to the OS? Alternatively, does anyone know something i can get to replace it? (have 2 USB WiFi adapters that only work in windows, and have to use my iphone as my wifi connection with MyWi in Lion). Apparently no WiFi hardware manufacturers give a flying poo poo about Mac drivers.

I got a shiny new SSD and a memory upgrade for my aging MBP for christmas. Dropped the poo poo in, got it working, and since then, no WiFi hardware detected in both Lion and Windows 7. I've put the old ram back in, booted from my old hard drive, and nothing. No Wireless Hardware detected. (everything else is fine though).

Since the AirPort card sits in the screen bezel, I've checked both connections coming from the display, have reseated and they seem fine. (one side is display/airport and the other is for the webcam, i believe).

I guess my options are

1) fruit stand out-of-warranty repairs
2) risk 100 and get a new airport card from powerbookmedic , tear everything apart myself
3) find an expresscard wireless card that works in Lion and Windows 7 (seemingly impossible)
4) deal with it. be sad.

It does sound like a dead card if OS X doesn't see it at all. The card seems to be only $50 via ifixit (http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Unibody-Late-2008-Early-2009-Airport-Extreme-Card/IF161-090)

You might want to use the ifixit guide to open it up and make sure all of the cables are plugged in tightly and you didn't accidentally disconnect it while installing the ssd (seems unlikely but worth the effort).

TrueWhore
Oct 1, 2000

Nerdrock posted:

Just a heads up, don't buy any used parts from pwerbookmedic, they don't test their parts before sending them out, and I went through hell trying to get a working topcase from them, took 3 exchanges which they refused to cross ship or even overnight.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

nm

I still want to thank you for your original post, as it inspired me to start looking for the model number of the card (BCM94322USA as it turns out).. which can be found for roughly $35-40. That's a much easier experiment to swallow the costs on. Cheers.

Edit : Thanks for the additional responses. Yeah, AJ : I've had the 'book apart a million times and have quadruple-checked connections for tightness. Another thing that i wasn't aware of until just now is that Bluetooth is on the same board. My machine does infact detect that the bluetooth radio exists, so i'd guess that connections are not the issue. So : it's looking like the card's half-borked. To ebay i go!

Double Edit: .. and thanks TW , definitely avoiding powerbookmedic.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 30, 2011

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Received my 27 inch iMac already! I enjoy it a lot.
However this thing gets pretty hot, semi idling (iTunes + Safari, about 10% CPU load) I get very high temperatures, 47C for the CPU Heatsink, 52C for the GPU Heatsink and 78C (!) for the "Power Secondary Heatsink". I played 10 minutes of Half-Life 2 earlier as a fast benchmark and my CPU and GPU heatsink were around 75C, my Power Secondary Heatsink was about 92C. I didn't hear any fans or anything...

Is this normal? :S

EDIT: Forgot to mention I get my temps from iStat Menus if that means anything.

Olivil fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 30, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Olivil posted:

Received my 27 inch iMac already! I enjoy it a lot.
However this thing gets pretty hot, semi idling (iTunes + Safari, about 10% CPU load) I get very high temperatures, 47C for the CPU Heatsink, 52C for the GPU Heatsink and 78C (!) for the "Power Secondary Heatsink". I played 10 minutes of Half-Life 2 earlier as a fast benchmark and my CPU and GPU heatsink were around 75C, my Power Secondary Heatsink was about 92C. I didn't hear any fans or anything...

Is this normal? :S

EDIT: Forgot to mention I get my temps from iStat Menus if that means anything.

This is my 2010 27" iMac running Firefox, Twitter, a video file, email, itunes - normal stuff. It's just barely warm to the touch and you could hardly tell that it's even on.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 30, 2011

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

This is my 2010 27" iMac running Firefox, Twitter, a video file, email, itunes - normal stuff. Edit: In Fahrenheit

What CPU/GPU do you have? I have the 3.1GHz i5 and the 6970m.

My temps are definitely higher than yours. Especially Secondary Heatsink, After playing a YouTube video fore like 5 minutes it gets to 177F...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What is the secondary heatsink? I guess it's for the video card? That makes sense since your card is pretty powerful. Sounds pretty drat hot though.

I have 2.8ghz i5 and Radeon 5750.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 30, 2011

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

What is the secondary heatsink? I guess it's for the video card? That makes sense since your card is pretty powerful.

I have 2.8ghz i5 and Radeon 5750

Well on my Mac it's listed as "Power Secondary Heatsink" so I can only assume it has something to do with the power supply..

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I cannot describe just how much I love my new Air. This is the perfect machine. I can't believe it's a refurbished model too.

One question: why do I need the AC power cord? Is it only meant to extend the charger's range? :confused:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Abel Wingnut posted:

I cannot describe just how much I love my new Air. This is the perfect machine. I can't believe it's a refurbished model too.

One question: why do I need the AC power cord? Is it only meant to extend the charger's range? :confused:

Yes. It's so you can either use the short cord if you're near an outlet or extend it if you need to. loving awesome addition to an already fantastic power supply. The magsafe itself is a godsend.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Abel Wingnut posted:

Yup. Leave it going from your desk to the wall outlet so you don't have to climb under there all the time, just take the short cord with you.

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

Wife's Macbook PRAM battery looks to be dead - reboots/poweroffs are setting the date back to the year 2000. Still have Applecare for a few months - do they cover this? I've not had one of these things die on me in this short of a time before.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It's most likely covered; maybe the PRAM battery was just plain defective or worn out.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
My girlfriend is a Mac newbie, but is considering getting either a MacBook Air 13" or a MacBook Pro 13". I'm trying to push her towards the Air, as the performance/storage tradeoffs and lack of optical disk seem well worth the benefits of increased portability and lack of magnetic drive, at least to me. Is it fair to call this the general consensus at this point?

I should add: she'll be using it for typical [non-nerd] student stuff - web, writing papers, watching movies, music, etc.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lexicon posted:

My girlfriend is a Mac newbie, but is considering getting either a MacBook Air 13" or a MacBook Pro 13". I'm trying to push her towards the Air, as the performance/storage tradeoffs and lack of optical disk seem well worth the benefits of increased portability and lack of magnetic drive, at least to me. Is it fair to call this the general consensus at this point?

I should add: she'll be using it for typical [non-nerd] student stuff - web, writing papers, watching movies, music, etc.

I'm pretty sure the Air has a much better screen, as the 13" MBP is limited to 1280x800 or something like that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Lexicon posted:

Air and a nicely sized USB key will cover all the bases nicely. You can always get the external SuperDrive if she needs optical media that badly.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

step aside posted:

Is the dust problem on the imacs as common as it seems (because I've heard quite a bit about it) or is that a matter of people having problems being the loudest?

I recently had this problem. My iMac developed dust spots over about 6 months. By the time I took it to the apple store they were really, really bad. I think the main problem was that I lived in an apartment that really required to have the windows open a lot. I ended up selling it because I moved (after apple fixed it for free) and don't think I'll be getting a new one.

I also lifted up the glass just to make sure and the dust was actually inside the LCD panel.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

We may have lost a charger for our 2009 MBPs—where'd be a smart/safe place to get one for less than eighty bucks at the Apple Store? I don't especially care if it's toothbrush-style or w/e.

I also need just the three-prong extension for my AirPort Express, but I found some on Amazon that seem legit (and cheap).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

We may have lost a charger for our 2009 MBPs—where'd be a smart/safe place to get one for less than eighty bucks at the Apple Store? I don't especially care if it's toothbrush-style or w/e.

I also need just the three-prong extension for my AirPort Express, but I found some on Amazon that seem legit (and cheap).

You're not really gonna find anything cheaper. The magsafe connector it a patented connector and Apple's not allowing anyone else to make it, meaning you're either get a shoddy chinese knock-off or get one that someone has cut the cord and re-spliced into a new connector.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

The only difference between the cheaper and more expensive i5 Airs the SSD, right? I might have to get a laptop for school (returning to go into CS) and the Air is by far the best option. I imagine that the 4GB stock RAM is enough, though the one thing that bothers me is the inability to upgrade it. Looking on Apple's site, though, it seems like you can't configure it to 8GB?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's possible to upgrade the SSD on the Air at a later date at very high prices. You're stuck with with the 4gigs of RAM though. You can't get more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

The SSD size definitely isn't a problem, though I never knew that they didn't let you BTO 8 gigs of RAM.

At that point it'd be a matter of 11 vs 13", though I'd probably go with the latter.