Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Contra Calculus posted:

GOON PROJECT: Let's write a satisfying ending to A Song of Ice and Fire.

I apologize, but I am too busy not caring if the fucker dies. The last 2 half-books really soured me on the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Fog Tripper posted:

I apologize, but I am too busy not caring if the fucker dies. The last 2 half-books really soured me on the series.
But mostly you're just angry with yourself, for how much you really do care.

Is there a scientific term for reverse Stockholm Syndrome? (feeling hostility towards someone you feel has kidnapped you, but really hasn't at all)

Joramun fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 29, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Joramun posted:

Is there a scientific term for reverse Stockholm Syndrome? (feeling hostility towards someone you feel has kidnapped you, but really hasn't at all)

George Lucas Syndrome.

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008
goddamn Stannis is awesome. He reminds me of Severus Snape in his ability to make priggish douchebaggery bizarrely compelling (though Snape stood out more because ASOIAF has a higher number of interesting, complicated characters with decent dialogue than HP did). That chapter owned--which isn't surprising given that all the Theon chapters in Dance were loving great.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Contra Calculus posted:

All right let's get this poo poo on the road.

FIRST OF ALL: We need to make it steampunk. Making anything steampunk makes everything better according to every goon I've ever talked to and they never lie. SECOND: We need to make sure we add in a political commentary about the Obama administration and gun control. We need to be topical of course.

Okay, those are my only two rules.

Jon Sn0 ponders the Wall, wondering what ancient spells keep the 0therz out.

ARgh-YA! , WhiteWalkar , Jon Sn0 , and BerryDanaery

kcroy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 30, 2011

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

kcroy posted:

Jon Sn0 ponders the Wall, wondering what ancient spells keep the 0therz out.

Spoiler alert: Ygrith dies.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joramun posted:

Spoiler alert: Ygrith dies.

ha

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Stannis just seems really tired, and he doesn't even seem to want the throne except for the fact it's his duty as heir. Really wish GRRM had explored this side of his story more instead of all the boring eating and making GBS threads everybody else does.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Maytag posted:

he doesn't even seem to want the throne except for the fact it's his duty as heir.

That's what makes him great and perfect for the job. He doesn't even want it but he's just that stubborn and dedicated to the rules.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well, it means he's not after the throne for his own personal glory, which is better than most of the other contenders. But would he be a good king? I think he's perhaps too stodgy to rule well. Well enough to reassemble the kingdom but not to hold it, I think.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That's what makes him great and perfect for the job. He doesn't even want it but he's just that stubborn and dedicated to the rules.

It has gotten past that point I think.. he has a ridiculous amount of pride, and is bitter about getting passed over/disliked. Dude has issues.

There is one line that really seemed out of character - he bitches Jon Snow out about his "Honor" at one point, and its like WTF...

He is a doomed character - just a question of how he goes. He and Ramsey seem to be opposites, with a similar pride issue. Both have been passed over - both are laughed at/ridiculed - both are extreme personalities. Stannis has his Righteousness and Ramsay has his Unregulated Desires.

Niccy Bones
Mar 27, 2011

kcroy posted:

There is one line that really seemed out of character - he bitches Jon Snow out about his "Honor" at one point, and its like WTF...

There's honor and then there's duty. Remember, Stannis was entirely willing to sacrifice Robert's bastard for his own ends (Ie an innocent child, something that Ned Stark would never do, and he seems to be pretty much the representation of honor in ASOIAF). Honor has it's uses but when it's getting in the way, as it did with Jon Snow not accepting his offer due to his honor and not Stannis's honor, then it's an inconvenience.

If that makes sense.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Joramun posted:

You know what I care about? My signed first editions decreasing in value.

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008

Fog Tripper posted:

You know what I care about? My signed first editions decreasing in value.

Uh...I just checked and Dance with Dragons is well over 400k copies sold, and bookscan both undercounts hard copy sales and doesn't factor in ebooks, so the reality is almost certainly over 600k. With sales like that, and NYTimes reviewer quotes like "Martin is the next Balzac or Dickens", I guarantee you any signed first editions you have are worth a helluva lot more now than they were, say, right after Storm was published (i.e. before the "controversial" books started coming out).

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
They'll be worth even more when Gurm's heart ruptures from the pressure of compacted pizza grease in the ventricles, and he can't sign any more copies.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

basx posted:

They'll be worth even more when Gurm's heart ruptures from the pressure of compacted pizza grease in the ventricles, and he can't sign any more copies.

Hasn't stopped the fucker so far.

Formulating a scene in my head, possibly involving future POV Gendry Baratheon blitzkrieging a steamtank through thr Riverlands.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Martin Van Buren posted:

I liked how this new Theon chapter filled the quota for lemoncakes, 'words are wind', and 'must needs' all in one fell swoop. Also liked seeing Theon slowly returning back to his old self, giggling and smiling at himself and whatnot, though that could just be him going nuts.

What's the word on "DARK WINGS, DARK WORDS," i haven't read the chapter yet but I assume that phrase is in there at least 8 times

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Niccy Bones posted:

There's honor and then there's duty. Remember, Stannis was entirely willing to sacrifice Robert's bastard for his own ends (Ie an innocent child, something that Ned Stark would never do, and he seems to be pretty much the representation of honor in ASOIAF). Honor has it's uses but when it's getting in the way, as it did with Jon Snow not accepting his offer due to his honor and not Stannis's honor, then it's an inconvenience.

If that makes sense.

hrm yeah - I hadn't thought of that distinction.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Vertigus posted:

What's the word on "DARK WINGS, DARK WORDS," i haven't read the chapter yet but I assume that phrase is in there at least 8 times

There's a messenger bird with grave implications

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Vertigus posted:

It's not exactly in there but roughly half the dialogue is quorked or muttered. There's urination in there too.

Anyone else noticed that the page is titled "Wild Cards Sample?"

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Martin Van Buren posted:

Anyone else noticed that the page is titled "Wild Cards Sample?"

Better believe I noticed that. I skipped to the end of the sample to see if it was gonna end up as an elaborate prank.

It was a good chapter though. But it'll be kinda weird if Stannis ends up just listening to Asha about trying to kill Theon in a godswood, even if Bran or Asha somehow saving him would be badass. Theon has a pretty high chance of survival since he didn't actually commit the crime he's being killed for, killing the Stark boys. Bran will do some warging, or Manderly or one of his men will show up and talk about Rickon and Osha or something.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Koirhor posted:

deus ex bran

:effort:, but sometimes something must needs

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If that were the case, as soon as he became aware of a surviving Targ claiming the throne he would jump up at the chance to let the bitter cup pass. Yet I'm pretty sure that if Aegon sent him a letter demanding obedience Stannis would reply with a ton of rationalisations for why he still ought to be king. The guy has at least as much pride as sense of duty.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 30, 2011

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Actually, if it were possible to re-texture the cereal to look like wood chips it'd be the perfect 'shop.

e:

Metropolis posted:

Theon has a pretty high chance of survival since he didn't actually commit the crime he's being killed for, killing the Stark boys. Bran will do some warging, or Manderly or one of his men will show up and talk about Rickon and Osha or something.

(I haven't and likely won't read the posted chapters, so this response is solely going off of what's said in the thread)

Yeah, but Stannis isn't going to pretend it was all OK because Theon only murdered a peasant family in order to stick the children's heads on a pike. Stannis was willing to execute someone of royal blood, no matter how innocent, but that was because he was the King, saving his Kingdom. He was exercising his rightful dominion, while Theon was attempting to cement his unlawful overthrow of the order of things.

Theon also has arguably-royal blood, which is an especially good reason to kill two birds with one stone.

Unless Theon is rescued, he will be executed. Stannis cannot do anything else.

e2:

NihilCredo posted:

If that were the case, as soon as he became aware of a surviving Targ claiming the throne he would jump up at the chance to let the bitter cup pass. Yet I'm pretty sure that if Aegon sent him a letter demanding obedience Stannis would reply with a ton of rationalisations for why he still ought to be king. The guy has at least as much pride as sense of duty.

While true, Stannis has very good reasons to retain "his" crown.

One has to factor in the successful dethroning of the Targaryens, sealed by the execution of as many members of the royal family as the new order could seize. There was then a second affirmation of the Baratheon right to rule during the Greyjoy Rebellion, when the entire Kingdom sent men to assist Robert when he sought to enforce his claim to the entirety of Westeros.

Meanwhile, Aegon is just some guy with a mercenary army who looks like he might be a Targaryen. Should Aegon seek to reclaim his throne, he should attempt to do so by the same means by which the Targaryens lost it.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 30, 2011

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

Yeah, but Stannis isn't going to pretend it was all OK because Theon only murdered a peasant family in order to stick the children's heads on a pike. Stannis was willing to execute someone of royal blood, no matter how innocent, but that was because he was the King, saving his Kingdom. He was exercising his rightful dominion, while Theon was attempting to cement his unlawful overthrow of the order of things.

Theon also has arguably-royal blood, which is an especially good reason to kill two birds with one stone.

Unless Theon is rescued, he will be executed. Stannis cannot do anything else.

One reason I can see Stannis letting Theon live for awhile is that he'll offer to hand him over to Jon Snow if Jon will become the lord of Winterfell.

I got the impression from the sample chapter that Gurm may have been dropping more hints about the origins of Ramsay's letter to Jon. The maester from the Dreadfort was there and had Ravens with him(with at least one of them being dispatched after he had been in the town) and we saw in Theon's POV that Theon was blabbing about Mance and the spearwives and everything else that was going on in Winterfell in front of a large group of people when he first saw Asha.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

NihilCredo posted:

The two week challenge better be to run around with the superstrength aug, stacking boxes and poo poo so you can non-lethal the gently caress out of your mission.

By which I mean warg into Hodor.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Raisin' Bran is the working title of Catelyn's upcoming autobiography.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I would be really excited if John Lithgow played Bran from now on.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

literallyincredible posted:

Uh...I just checked and Dance with Dragons is well over 400k copies sold, and bookscan both undercounts hard copy sales and doesn't factor in ebooks, so the reality is almost certainly over 600k. With sales like that, and NYTimes reviewer quotes like "Martin is the next Balzac or Dickens", I guarantee you any signed first editions you have are worth a helluva lot more now than they were, say, right after Storm was published (i.e. before the "controversial" books started coming out).

heh heh heh heh you said 'ball sac' heh heh heh heh

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

savinhill posted:

I got the impression from the sample chapter that Gurm may have been dropping more hints about the origins of Ramsay's letter to Jon.

There is a sample chapter? Good god, I've only got 6 or 10 more years to read Dance with Dragons before the next book comes out!

Will someone please do chapter summaries for tower of the hand?
http://towerofthehand.com/books/105/003/index.html

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Spermy Smurf posted:

Will someone please do chapter summaries for tower of the hand?
http://towerofthehand.com/books/105/003/index.html

Here's the entire book: Tyrion whines, Dany shits, Jon gets stabbed, Davos and Theon actually do poo poo.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Contra Calculus posted:

Here's the entire book: Tyrion whines, Dany shits, Jon gets stabbed, Davos and Theon actually do poo poo.

You forgot about Quentyn and Bran's excellent adventures.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Bran turns into a tree hive-mind, and Quentyn fucks everything up and dragons finally do poo poo.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

kcroy posted:

He is a doomed character - just a question of how he goes. He and Ramsey seem to be opposites, with a similar pride issue. Both have been passed over - both are laughed at/ridiculed - both are extreme personalities. Stannis has his Righteousness and Ramsay has his Unregulated Desires.

Yeah but Ramsay is a bastard who's lucky to have been legitimized. Stannis was stiffed on inheriting Storms End and the whole rightful heir to the throne thing, which are pretty legit complaints.

Was there ever a proper explanation for why he ended up not getting Storms End? I feel like there was but I can't remember.

NihilCredo posted:

Well the Targs got kicked out via battle and everyone pledged to Robert...which got firmly established over at least 15 years. Selmy, Connington, Aegon, Illyrio, Varys and Dany are the only people in the whole world who still think they have a legit claim to the throne as far as we know.

I don't think it's really just a pride issue, his family took the throne about as fairly and squarely as you're going to get in this world. I still think he never initially set out to be a king but when it's either that, some incestual money grubbers, or the Targaryeans he's gonna pick himself.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 30, 2011

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
Dragonstone is the place that the guy next in line for the throne gets, I think, even though it's crappier than the Baratheon family home. And Robert is kind of a dick so he probably enjoyed following "tradition" and making Stannis mad.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Well the Targs got kicked out via battle and everyone pledged to Robert...which got firmly established over at least 15 years. Selmy, Connington, Aegon, Illyrio, Varys and Dany are the only people in the whole world who still think they have a legit claim to the throne as far as we know.

There are quite a few Targaryen loyalists from the civil war who had lands taken and the like. One of those two families Jamie dealt with in ADWD sided with the Targs and would probably side with them again just to gently caress over the other family. I doubt any of the major houses would side with the Targs unless they started getting really lucky, but it's not like only ten people and their allies support the Targ claim.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Dorne would side with the Targs too.

Also you're forgetting secret Targs.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Sophia posted:

You forgot about Quentyn and Bran's excellent adventures.

Oh yeah, a guy named Quentyn exists and gets killed two seconds after he's introduced.

Bran wargs into a tree and will become a gundam tree or something.

Also, some guy named Jon Connington is gay, the end.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Contra Calculus posted:

Also, some guy named Jon Connington is gay, the end.
Gay and a badass. It's actually quite refreshing. The way he took back Griffin's Roost was so dashing. :allears:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I would be really excited if John Lithgow played Bran from now on.

Only if Christopher Walken plays Jon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Joramun posted:

Gay and a badass. It's actually quite refreshing. The way he took back Griffin's Roost was so dashing. :allears:

Gay Badass and already has his death all planned out.
or DOES he???????