Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Droid Washington posted:

One question I have that I didn't see in the Nutrition thread OP, is food with "kitten formula" or what not good to feed? He's 8 weeks old, and Blue Buffalo sells food specifically branded with "For Kittens" on it.
Someone more educated can tell you more, but from what I gather kitten formula is more nutritionally dense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

2508084 posted:

Someone more educated can tell you more, but from what I gather kitten formula is more nutritionally dense.
Blue Buffalo is the only higher quality food that makes something specifically for kittens. We fed it to our cats when they were younger, but we have sense moved to Wellness due it being easier on our cats stomachs. Blue Buffalo kitten is a great choice in what to feed your kitten, but don't be turned off by a brand that doesn't offer a "kitten specific" choice.

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS CHEX
So my sister did the inappropriate thing and got me two 8 month old male and female siblings for Christmas. I always had cats and dogs, and I lived with my ex for a year with 2 cats so I've been meaning to adopt soon anyway... and I travel too much for a dog to be fair right now.

I brought them home saturday and had them shut in the larger bathroom with their stuff for christmas eve and christmas. I let them out yesterday. The male acclimates pretty quickly, although he's still pretty skiddish, and he's eating and drinking normally. He'll only run from me if I scare him somehow. The female, though, spent the two days in the bathroom hiding behind the toilet and spent the past 24 hours, only coming out that I saw a couple times for a tiny bit of food, water and litter usage, hiding underneath of a piece of furniture. She'll bolt at any tiny movement. Is this something that she'll probably just get over or should I be doing something? I haven't had a kitten for around 11 years.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
^ Give her a week to get used to being in a new house. It sounds perfectly normal skiddish behavior to me as long as shes eating/drinking and pooping.

Vital Signs posted:

Blue Buffalo is the only higher quality food that makes something specifically for kittens. We fed it to our cats when they were younger, but we have sense moved to Wellness due it being easier on our cats stomachs. Blue Buffalo kitten is a great choice in what to feed your kitten, but don't be turned off by a brand that doesn't offer a "kitten specific" choice.
Bwah? Wellness Kitten Recipe (canned), Welness Kitten Health (dry), Evo Cat & Kitten (wet) (also comes in dry).

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hobbes completed his first vet appointment today and he has ringworm and ear mites! Oh joy! But thats okay, we're happy to get the little guy healthy again. I just feel bad that he has to go through all this. I'm just glad my quaker parrots apparently can't catch it.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
My cat hasn't been super interested in toys. I got my him Da Bird for Christmas.

Oh. My. God.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Knockknees posted:

My cat hasn't been super interested in toys. I got my him Da Bird for Christmas.

Oh. My. God.

I bought one today too...

I bet the little shits sleep through the night tonight.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

I read the FAQ and last few pages and didn't see anything relevant to my problem. I got a kitten about two years ago to keep my older cat company. They shared food and never had any problems. She's 16 and generally gets to the food when she gets to it. She's been losing weight since getting the kitten and is looking fit now. The kitten was also always very fit. We got him neutered, and he stayed pretty fit and active for a few months.

Then, I moved in with my boyfriend who has two cats of his own, both about a year older than my kitten. All of our cats are indoor cats, they're all eating blue buffalo indoor and have been since forever, and were doing pretty good about sharing for a little while. They all get along fine. We're really good about measuring out the amount of food they get. But for some reason, all the other cats maintain their weight and my kitten keeps getting fatter and fatter. ): I looked at him today and got so bummed out at how fat he is. He looks like two Garfields smushed together. I play with him all the time. He plays on his own and is super active with the other cats all day. We have tried several montages and shaming him by telling him he is a roly poly. Nothing is working. How do I put my cat on a diet without starving the other three? Is there another type of cat exercise we should try?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Hamburglar posted:

skiddish.

2508084 posted:

skiddish

A flying piece of posted:

skiddish

Sorry to do this but SKITTISH. Skittish.

Christmas with the cats went pretty well - they travelled in the car for about 8 hours in total, and although Hat mewed a bit, they both did very well on the whole. Massive weight off my mind knowing we can take them with us at Christmas.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Skiddish is when they rub their butts on the carpet after having a poop.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I feel about 3 inches tall right now.

I came home from work today and heard what I can only describe as a cry for help from my three month old kitty, i've not heard her cry like that before. Somehow, she got into my closest. I cannot figure out how. There is a tiny gap under the door but it is not even big enough for her skull. There was no food, water or kitty box in there for her, she may have been trapped in there for nine hours... I cannot imagine she possibly somehow squeezed under the door, did she? The only other explination is that I accidentally got her stuck in there when I was getting ready this morning. She seemed a little skiddish when she came out, but okay now... yet she has not drunk, eaten anything or used her little box.

She may have been trapped in there for nine hours.

afgrunden
Jul 21, 2011

- Sex: Male
- How long have you had your cat?: 4 years
- Is your cat spayed or neutered?: Yes
- What food do you use?: Some prescription food from the vet
- When was your last vet visit?: A few months ago? Maybe 2 or 3.
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both?: Indoors
- How many pets in your household?: 2
- How many litter boxes do you have?: 1

One of my cats loves to eat roses. He prefers red. Why might this be?

We try to stop him when we see him doing it, but we're not that strict about it - should we be? Are roses dangerous for cats? I have not seen them on any cat poison lists

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Diogines posted:

I feel about 3 inches tall right now.

I came home from work today and heard what I can only describe as a cry for help from my three month old kitty, i've not heard her cry like that before. Somehow, she got into my closest. I cannot figure out how. There is a tiny gap under the door but it is not even big enough for her skull. There was no food, water or kitty box in there for her, she may have been trapped in there for nine hours... I cannot imagine she possibly somehow squeezed under the door, did she? The only other explination is that I accidentally got her stuck in there when I was getting ready this morning. She seemed a little skiddish when she came out, but okay now... yet she has not drunk, eaten anything or used her little box.

She may have been trapped in there for nine hours.

Aww, poor kitty! It happens though. Unfortunately this is why my closet has to stay shut at all times and why even after I open it, I make sure I have both cats out somewhere else before I close it up. One has gotten trapped in there overnight and it was sad. Your kitten is probably really stressed out right now. Try to keep her calm, she'll eat and drink when she feels relaxed enough. Check your closet, she probably went potty in there and might not have anything left in her to require using the box at the moment. Maybe give her a treat or something too, you know, no hard feelings kind of a thing.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I just got my little boy cat fixed. He's just shy of 8 months old. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for post-op neutering?

The Doc said keep the cone on for 12 days! Wow he's already gotten it off twice and each time after he tries licking... any tips are greatly appreciated!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

marshmallard posted:

Sorry to do this but SKITTISH. Skittish.

lol I'm glad I'm not the only one here who is (probably disproportionally) annoyed by this.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 29, 2011

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Skiddish is when a cat tries to make a high speed turn on the hardwood floor.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

dee eight posted:

Skiddish is when a cat tries to make a high speed turn on the hardwood floor.

I change my answer to this.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Bahunter22 posted:

Aww, poor kitty! It happens though. Unfortunately this is why my closet has to stay shut at all times and why even after I open it, I make sure I have both cats out somewhere else before I close it up. One has gotten trapped in there overnight and it was sad. Your kitten is probably really stressed out right now. Try to keep her calm, she'll eat and drink when she feels relaxed enough. Check your closet, she probably went potty in there and might not have anything left in her to require using the box at the moment. Maybe give her a treat or something too, you know, no hard feelings kind of a thing.

I've been home with her all evening as she sits in my lap contentedly purring(as she is want to do) while I use my computer, but I've not seen her eat or drink anything since I came home, or use the liter box...

I don't smell anything in my closet and I don't see anything in there either. The evidence presenting itself would claim that she has not taken a crap in almost 18 hours, but that is impossible.

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.
My 5-6 month old kitten has recently started jumping up my leg when I stand and attaching himself to my pants with his mouth. He's making all kinds of "annoyed" noises and cries if I touch his head while he's doing this. It's very odd, if I take him off, he instantly reattaches. Any ideas?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Bodhi Tea posted:

My 5-6 month old kitten has recently started jumping up my leg when I stand and attaching himself to my pants with his mouth. He's making all kinds of "annoyed" noises and cries if I touch his head while he's doing this. It's very odd, if I take him off, he instantly reattaches. Any ideas?

Sounds like he's just trying to play... when my kitten does something that I don't want him to get used to doing I just spray some compressed air into the general direction and he stops.

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.

Red Robin Hood posted:

Sounds like he's just trying to play... when my kitten does something that I don't want him to get used to doing I just spray some compressed air into the general direction and he stops.

Thanks, that makes sense. It just seemed quite odd :)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Bodhi Tea posted:

Nine times out of ten, if the question is "What is my cat doing?!" the answer is "Being a cat."

Cats are weird. :)

Leela smacked me in the rear end this morning while I was getting dressed. I was standing near the foot of our bed getting something out of a drawer and she sauntered up and slapped me with a paw.

My husband approves :rolleyes:

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Bodhi Tea posted:

What RazorBunny said. Shes playing with you. I usually dissuade my animals with a "SSST" hissing type noise.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
There's a cat at the shelter I volunteer at that I'm looking to get some advice on health wise. We don't know much about him, he was abandoned in a carrier in the lobby over thanksgiving weekend. He is an adult, long haired and we suspect was abused. When he was left he was under weight and his fur was a mess. We cut out the worst of the matted spots and then I got to brushing him to clean him up a bit.

Unfortunately he ended up with a URI and spent weeks in isolation getting treated for that. Now he's out and I'm working on getting him cleaned up again. Last night while brushing him I noticed that about half way down his back his fur starts to thin out. It looks like the fluffy under fur is just gone and he has a ton of dandruff. The rest of his fur looks okay, just needs grooming. His head and upper back are soft and shiny but heading towards his tail it just gets thin and dry.

So, my question, what sort of health issues could be causing that? One of the people at the shelter thinks it could simply be a combo of neglect, malnourishment and then the antibiotics. I'm worried it could be something worse and that's why he was dumped.

Any ideas? He is a great cat and I want to do what I can for him.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Post-op male cat neutering question #2. I called my vet and they said since he was fixed yesterday that instead of washing it with a warm salt water that I should let it stay like this for now. Just looking for a second opinion since I didn't take him in I just called.

:nms:
http://i.imgur.com/1H9Dt.jpg

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

How do goons feel about collars for indoor cats? My kitty is microchipped and the odds of her escaping from my place are very low, but it could theoretically happen. Is the risk of it getting snagged(it is a break away collar) higher than the risk of her ever getting lost?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Diogines posted:

How do goons feel about collars for indoor cats? My kitty is microchipped and the odds of her escaping from my place are very low, but it could theoretically happen. Is the risk of it getting snagged(it is a break away collar) higher than the risk of her ever getting lost?

My boy cat (see post above) didn't like the bell on his break-away collar so in the middle of the night he broke his off somewhere and now I can't find it :psyduck:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

The only strong reason I am considering keeping a collar on my kitty is that the bell helps me keep track of her.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Some cats don't like bells, though. One of my cats wouldn't stop trying to get his collar off until I removed the bell. If your cat doesn't mind, though, there's really no reason not to. If you do decide to get a collar, I strongly recommend you put "Indoor only" or something similar on it. A lot of people seem to think that a cat outside with a collar on means it's supposed to be outside for some reason :psyduck:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Diogines posted:

The only strong reason I am considering keeping a collar on my kitty is that the bell helps me keep track of her.

We do the same. Black cats. :mad:

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Red Robin Hood posted:

Post-op male cat neutering question #2. I called my vet and they said since he was fixed yesterday that instead of washing it with a warm salt water that I should let it stay like this for now. Just looking for a second opinion since I didn't take him in I just called.

I'm not sure where the salt water came into play, but I've never washed or rinsed any incisions for any of my cats when they were fixed, male or female, and was never instructed to. The only time we really needed to worry about intervening with the healing process is if it started oozing weird poo poo but they never did. I would just keep an eye on it and let your cat do his thing. If it doesn't look like its bothering him and its not oozing or smelling awful chances are its healing just fine.

Diogines posted:

I always keep collars on any cat regardless of if they are indoor or outdoor. My two now are indoor and they sport collars. Our youngest is a whore about it sometimes and takes hers and the older one's off but not because she's annoyed, because it makes a really fun sound at 1am when she's playing with it on the tile floor outside of our bedroom door. In my opinion, you never know what is going to spook a cat until its done and guests aren't always going to immediately shut the door when they come in/go out. Chances are low that they'll get out if all the rules are followed but it only takes that one time for the cat to get out and run like the dickens.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Bahunter22 posted:

I'm not sure where the salt water came into play, but I've never washed or rinsed any incisions for any of my cats when they were fixed, male or female, and was never instructed to. The only time we really needed to worry about intervening with the healing process is if it started oozing weird poo poo but they never did. I would just keep an eye on it and let your cat do his thing. If it doesn't look like its bothering him and its not oozing or smelling awful chances are its healing just fine.

Thanks for your response. The vet also said it would be okay to take the cone off between 7-12 days after the surgery. Does that sound about right? That seems like an awfully long time. Dexter seems very depressed and is having diarrhea :\

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Red Robin Hood posted:

Thanks for your response. The vet also said it would be okay to take the cone off between 7-12 days after the surgery. Does that sound about right? That seems like an awfully long time. Dexter seems very depressed and is having diarrhea :\

If your cat is one to keep messing with his incision its probably a good idea to keep it on. If your cat is like mine and didn't give two shits about their incisions then you could probably get away with taking it off sooner, especially if you're able to watch your cat to make sure he's not trying to lick it. The diarrhea sounds like it might be from him stressing out. Give it a trial run if you want and take the cone off, discourage him if he tries to clean his surgical area. If he doesn't then he gets a nice break. If he does, then back on with the cone.

Edit: My dogs had cones post surgery, my cats never did. I was trying to think of how we kept the cones on the cats but we never had to have cones on them in the first place. They just got sent home and we were to keep an eye on them. I say take the cone off unless he has serious issues about messing his stitches up.

Bahunter22 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 30, 2011

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Bahunter22 posted:

If your cat is one to keep messing with his incision its probably a good idea to keep it on. If your cat is like mine and didn't give two shits about their incisions then you could probably get away with taking it off sooner, especially if you're able to watch your cat to make sure he's not trying to lick it. The diarrhea sounds like it might be from him stressing out. Give it a trial run if you want and take the cone off, discourage him if he tries to clean his surgical area. If he doesn't then he gets a nice break. If he does, then back on with the cone.

Edit: My dogs had cones post surgery, my cats never did. I was trying to think of how we kept the cones on the cats but we never had to have cones on them in the first place. They just got sent home and we were to keep an eye on them. I say take the cone off unless he has serious issues about messing his stitches up.

He doesn't have stitches, I guess it is skin glue or something. He had diarrhea that go on the wall (possibly from trying to cover it) and covered his foot. I cleaned it all up and cleaned his foot as best I could with a wet rag but I took the cone off so he could do his daily cleaning thing. He cleaned his top half and his foot but he started to venture a little lower and actually got an erection. When he tried to lick his testicles I just cover the area with my hand but he didn't like that and tried to push past me so I tried to gently pull him away and he got real angry and hissed at me. He's normally a very, very nice kitty and I have never had him hiss. I had to put the cone back on :( He was fixed on Wednesday, December 28th.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

The meds and stress can give them the shits. It should get better in a day or so! You can try feeding a bit of a bland diet or mixing in some plain canned pumpkin in with his food, but really it will probably just pass on its own. Cats also don't generally eat a bland diet very well (unlike dogs), and it's better to have them eat then not eat. Diarrhea is gross, but it should be temporary. As long as he's eating and drinking normally, I wouldn't get too worried about it.

I wouldn't put anything on the incision. They usually heal fine by themselves. They do hate the cones, but it's a minor inconvenience in the big scheme of things. It's better than having your kitty mess with the incision and having it get infected or pulled apart, and then having to do surgery again to fix it. You can try taking it off when you are watching him so that he can have a break. He will probably eat better with it off too. If he has a hard plastic cone, a lot of the time the cats do better with the softer blue ones. They look like this. I'm not sure what the brand name on them is though - we always just got them through our veterinary supplier. He needs to wear it until he leaves his incision alone. Not much fun, but there you go.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Enelrahc fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 30, 2011

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Red Robin Hood posted:

He doesn't have stitches, I guess it is skin glue or something. He had diarrhea that go on the wall (possibly from trying to cover it) and covered his foot. I cleaned it all up and cleaned his foot as best I could with a wet rag but I took the cone off so he could do his daily cleaning thing. He cleaned his top half and his foot but he started to venture a little lower and actually got an erection. When he tried to lick his testicles I just cover the area with my hand but he didn't like that and tried to push past me so I tried to gently pull him away and he got real angry and hissed at me. He's normally a very, very nice kitty and I have never had him hiss. I had to put the cone back on :( He was fixed on Wednesday, December 28th.

Ours had glue also, its just habit I guess to refer to it as stitched because of my older cats. Honestly let him try to clean as best he can without getting to the actual incision. Chances are its still really tender and he's going to learn quickly that its not a good place for him to be for a while. He's understandably frustrated and can't do what he needs to do or get comfortable. Give him another go without the cone and just watch him. Give him a couple hours to cope with everything and relax. I bet your nice kitty will make an appearance again once he is relaxed.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Has anyone tried the bitter apple spray? I'm considering buying some and taking off the cone. On the phone with the vet now.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Esmerelda posted:

There's a cat at the shelter I volunteer at that I'm looking to get some advice on health wise. We don't know much about him, he was abandoned in a carrier in the lobby over thanksgiving weekend. He is an adult, long haired and we suspect was abused. When he was left he was under weight and his fur was a mess. We cut out the worst of the matted spots and then I got to brushing him to clean him up a bit.

Unfortunately he ended up with a URI and spent weeks in isolation getting treated for that. Now he's out and I'm working on getting him cleaned up again. Last night while brushing him I noticed that about half way down his back his fur starts to thin out. It looks like the fluffy under fur is just gone and he has a ton of dandruff. The rest of his fur looks okay, just needs grooming. His head and upper back are soft and shiny but heading towards his tail it just gets thin and dry.

So, my question, what sort of health issues could be causing that? One of the people at the shelter thinks it could simply be a combo of neglect, malnourishment and then the antibiotics. I'm worried it could be something worse and that's why he was dumped.

Any ideas? He is a great cat and I want to do what I can for him.
I think that's a reasonable conjecture on why he looks crummy, especially if he's been sick. A good few weeks of good food and a warm place to sleep and he'll probably be a new man. It sounds like a decent shelter with some money (as he got to live with a URI) so they've probably got a veterinarian on staff who has checked him out... so I'd just give the kitty some attention and give him some time to get ship-shape so he can charm his way into a new home!

Aelia
May 13, 2008
So, what sort of litter do you use?

We've got two cats, approximately 9 months old, and at the moment we're trying to find a litter which doesn't track, and doesn't break the bank. They used TidyCat at their rescue, so we've been using that, but it gets everywhere and is especially unpleasant in the bathroom where we have one of their litter boxes.

The current experiment is UltraPet Trackless Litter Pearls, which they are willing to use, but it's not their box of choice. It works great with pee, not so great with solids, and in general isn't bad litter... I'm just trying to do a bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
I've found that World's Best is, well, the world's best. It's made from corn so it can be flushed down the toilet which is a HUGE bonus for me. We keep the litter tray in the bathroom and just put their doings straight into the toilet.