Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Policenaut posted:

So Famitsu is reporting that AquaPazza game is being "ported to the consumer" so I think that means a console port?

Nah, they're releasing it on Teletubby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Do it I would be willing to buy the game just to finally see Johnny Fiveaces in a game.

It's not a fighting game but he's already in Fallout New Vegas.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
Soul Calibur V~

2012 Jan

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Broken Loose posted:

The Gilden Tide guys are local to me to within 10 miles, and given their desperation for help and attention (and reliance on Jebailey), I will do my duty to get Johnny Fiveaces into the game.

If you have any information on the game or people behind it, I'd actually love to hear it :)

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Ryaomon posted:

It's not a fighting game but he's already in Fallout New Vegas.

As a dead guy! That hardly counts.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

ZWZ posted:

Edit: Jebaily posted a reply to the newspost as well:

Updates are coming guys, The company has been hard at work on this game and I know first hand they follow the rest of the FGC closely to put something competent together. They've been working on the game for the last 6 months and came to me recently to help promote the game so I made sure the FGC would have an idea that a new game was being made. Tons of info and updates will be coming out over the next couple weeks so just hang tight.

quote:

The Gilden Tide guys are local to me to within 10 miles, and given their desperation for help and attention (and reliance on Jebailey), I will do my duty to get Johnny Fiveaces into the game.

How about you tell the GT guys to hire some competent writers who didn't fail their English classes, and not to add generic, dumb Steampunk stuff that's been fed to every nerd? Even for a fighting game that writing was atrocious.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
It seems pretty god damned bold to say the game mechanics most closely resemble CvS2.

I don't really believe them, as that game is incredibly complicated relative to other FGs. However, let's say the game plays like CvS2- who exactly is the market for an indie game in 2011 that is remotely as difficult to play properly as CvS2?

I think they should set the bar a little lower for themselves, and of course also drop the entire Steampunk setting which is completely associated with ubergoony freaks at this point. This is prejudiced, but, I have a clear image in my mind (whether its true or not) of what the developers of this game look like just by them choosing steampunk.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 29, 2011

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Schmendrick posted:

How about you tell the GT guys to hire some competent writers who didn't fail their English classes, and not to add generic, dumb Steampunk stuff that's been fed to every nerd? Even for a fighting game that writing was atrocious.

I'd rather have Johnny Fiveaces than any of this honestly

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

absolutely anything posted:

I'd rather have Johnny Fiveaces than any of this honestly

One character does not make a good fighting game if it's filled with stupid, generic steampunk that's been seen 1000 times, stupid character design (those sketches are awful), and the gameplay flat out sucks. A stupid, lame character only a few internet nerds know about does not make up for horrible writing even Dan Brown would make fun of.

v v v
As long as the trainwreck is dirt cheap, and the developers don't take it seriously (which these guys seem to do), I can care less if it sucks.

Schmendrick fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 29, 2011

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Why can't this game just be the big stupid trainwreck that it's obviously aiming to be? I really want it to be a big stupid trainwreck.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Obviously strong gameplay can trump a really, truly awful aesthetic - anime games wouldn't have a following if it couldn't - so we'll have to wait and see some gameplay footage, but nothing will kill an indie game in the crib faster than making a bad first impression.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Schmendrick posted:

One character does not make a good fighting game if it's filled with stupid, generic steampunk that's been seen 1000 times, stupid character design (those sketches are awful), and the gameplay flat out sucks. A stupid, lame character only a few internet nerds know about does not make up for horrible writing even Dan Brown would make fun of.

I don't think you understand-- Johnny Fiveaces wouldn't do anything to make the game better. In fact, his presence would actively make the game worse. lovely indie fighters are a dime a dozen thanks to MUGEN, and these clowns completely bombed their own PR campaign by announcing a terrible product that also happens to be vaporware. The product, as far as we know, will be a steampunk ripoff of CvS1 with the Drive button from Blazblue put into it.

The only way this game could possibly get any better would be for it to suck so much that the negative value rolls over and becomes awesome. There is one direction to go, and that is down.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Broken Loose posted:

I don't think you understand-- Johnny Fiveaces wouldn't do anything to make the game better. In fact, his presence would actively make the game worse. lovely indie fighters are a dime a dozen thanks to MUGEN, and these clowns completely bombed their own PR campaign by announcing a terrible product that also happens to be vaporware. The product, as far as we know, will be a steampunk ripoff of CvS1 with the Drive button from Blazblue put into it.

The only way this game could possibly get any better would be for it to suck so much that the negative value rolls over and becomes awesome. There is one direction to go, and that is down.

Here's an idea: Get me in contact with them. I'm a game designer with a long laundry list of fighting game experience and actively want to make a good fighting game. Seriously.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Waterbed posted:

Here's an idea: Get me in contact with them. I'm a game designer with a long laundry list of fighting game experience and actively want to make a good fighting game. Seriously.

About

Circular Geometry Studios is owned by Michael Schuman and Giancarlo Montalbano in Orlando, Florida. If you’d like to learn more about us or interested in joining the effort to finish GildenTide, please e-mail us at CircularGeometry et gmail.com

(I'm not them, just a dude with a mouse)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

redmercer posted:

About

Circular Geometry Studios is owned by Michael Schuman and Giancarlo Montalbano in Orlando, Florida. If you’d like to learn more about us or interested in joining the effort to finish GildenTide, please e-mail us at CircularGeometry et gmail.com

(I'm not them, just a dude with a mouse)

Yeah I already emailed them, but I don't think they're going to bite unless I get into a pretty intricate conversation with them. Most indie people generally are wholly convinced that what they want to do is always going to end in the end result they desire. All I'm seeing is "steampunk fighting game, lets do cool things" from limited information. It's not like I'm one of those weirdo armchair designers, I can actually implement stuff as long as they have an engineer.

That said maybe they just don't read their email.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why don't you just start your own thing? Y'know, something with less steampunk?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why don't you just start your own thing? Y'know, something with less steampunk?

Find some artists willing to make a fighting game and I'll be glad to. That's without a doubt the single biggest roadblock in indie fighting game development.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

40 OZ posted:

I think they should set the bar a little lower for themselves, and of course also drop the entire Steampunk setting which is completely associated with ubergoony freaks at this point. This is prejudiced, but, I have a clear image in my mind (whether its true or not) of what the developers of this game look like just by them choosing steampunk.

Goons associate it with that, sure, partly because it's sometimes true and partly because SA is obsessed with finding and sharing the most embarassing extremes of any other subculture it comes in contact with.

To everybody else it's just another nerd aesthetic, like elves-and-dragons high fantasy.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Waterbed posted:

Find some artists willing to make a fighting game and I'll be glad to. That's without a doubt the single biggest roadblock in indie fighting game development.

IM, PM, or email me. I have a few questions for you.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Waterbed posted:

Is it because it's generally difficult to find people who'll stick it through to the end of a project, or is there something specific to fighting games that artists struggle with? Do these issues extend to polygonal stuff as well as spritework?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Is it because it's generally difficult to find people who'll stick it through to the end of a project, or is there something specific to fighting games that artists struggle with? Do these issues extend to polygonal stuff as well as spritework?

Fighting games as a whole have a very emphasis on good art. Many games can ride off strong mechanic design with loose representations of something to carry the mechanics. Fighting games on the other hand are focused on 2 major subjects and the art directly represents the mechanics (since its a bunch of boxes in real time).

On top of that, they require a LOT of art. A single still good looking image takes a while to make, and you have to multiply that by over ten thousand. Even if I were to draw an entire fighting game by myself with really mediocre looking art, it would be astronomically time consuming.

A bad looking fighting game is going to look way worse than almost any other genre, which can hide mediocre art better since there's less focus and loose symbolism can work better. Try and dumb down a lot of genres to the simplest possible graphics you can imagine, fighting games end up having to still look pretty drat good to pass their information to the player.

That and its way harder to hide being bad at art with a fighting game. You're animating and drawing higher resolution images comparatively to most other genres. A bad artist is going to look way worse since it's far more difficult to hide behind simplifications and stylization.

It's basically a combo of needing a higher standard of quality and sheer amount of effort. 3D doesn't really do anything to stop this. Making models, rigging and animating a full cast of characters is probably easier when you have a bunch of people, but on an indie level, it's roughly as hard.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Speaking of lovely fighting games, does anyone remember that game that was being developed a few years ago that used digitised photos of people like in early Mortal Kombat, except the photos were all HD and people had different stances for the left and right sides of the screen?

It looked unbelievably 90s and had a name like "Dark Violence" or something like that. I definitely remember one character was a guy with a t-shirt wrapped around his face.

I really just want to see if anything happened with it.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Question Mark Mound posted:

Speaking of lovely fighting games, does anyone remember that game that was being developed a few years ago that used digitised photos of people like in early Mortal Kombat, except the photos were all HD and people had different stances for the left and right sides of the screen?

It looked unbelievably 90s and had a name like "Dark Violence" or something like that. I definitely remember one character was a guy with a t-shirt wrapped around his face.

The only Mortal Kombat knock off that made it I think was Tattoo Assassins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9ahMyKV9wk

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Sounds like you're thinking of Death Cargo

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

I know what you're talking about, it's not Death Cargo. I remember it too but can't remember the name at all. They were going to do an arcade release in the US before consoles (just like the 90's) and they had really stupid back stories for all the characters. There was tons of info about the process but no clue really how it would work as a fighting game. Everything about it was like "This will be so cool" from people who obviously don't play fighting games at any form of competitive level and/or weren't even aware of the competitive FG scene. It was basically like if you asked some kids in 1994 who really liked MK to design a FG.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
http://www.dark-presence.com/

I think.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Waterbed posted:

I think.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

quote:

Dark Presence features 8 selectable characters. We do not use any palette swapping on any characters. Each character has unique left and right sides when fighting. This adds a great deal of depth to game play,
as now fighting for screen position is even more important.

Good to hear they're concentrating on going above and beyond your everyday fighting game.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

If you ever wanted to see UMK3 taken over a knee, today's your lucky day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-NZpzgbQpc

Some of these glitches men could only dream of. :allears:

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Goons associate it with that, sure, partly because it's sometimes true and partly because SA is obsessed with finding and sharing the most embarassing extremes of any other subculture it comes in contact with.

To everybody else it's just another nerd aesthetic, like elves-and-dragons high fantasy.

While 'steampunk' and 'high fantasy' are both genres of fiction, steampunk is much, much, more associated with the "lifestyle movement". Which means actual fat white people going to burger king with their steampunk clothes on, and even sharing a common life/political ideology.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

iastudent posted:

If you ever wanted to see UMK3 taken over a knee, today's your lucky day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-NZpzgbQpc

Some of these glitches men could only dream of. :allears:

I lost it when Kitana somehow turned into a fan.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Waterbed posted:

I think.
YES! That's definitely it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
The Gilden Tide guys have a kickstarter up.

I'm genuinely trying to get in contact with them because I think the game could be good with strong design direction but what limited stuff I've seen doesn't give me a lot of hope. With resources like that they could seriously make something good.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waterbed posted:

I'm genuinely trying to get in contact with them because I think the game could be good with strong design direction but what limited stuff I've seen doesn't give me a lot of hope. With resources like that they could seriously make something good.

Sounds like a waste of time, just reskin streetfighter4 on pc. steam cyber-akuma anyone?

Uncle Istvan
Sep 16, 2005

Waterbed posted:

Oh wow, I didn't think that many people already found the page. I'm the guy in charge of the game and I can answer any questions you have. We kind of got thrown out there with our teaser being put on SRK, but we put everything we had together for Kickstarter and will be showing more content in the next week.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Uncle Istvan posted:

I'm the guy in charge of the game and I can answer any questions you have.

Put Johnny Fiveaces into the game. Not a question.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Uncle Istvan posted:

Oh wow, I didn't think that many people already found the page. I'm the guy in charge of the game and I can answer any questions you have. We kind of got thrown out there with our teaser being put on SRK, but we put everything we had together for Kickstarter and will be showing more content in the next week.

I sent you guys an email with some information. I'm wholly interested in the project and have industry design experience, but I'd like to have a lengthy conversation if that's alright.

Edit: Do you mind if I contact you on AIM? I'm not trying to be pushy or anything, I just genuinely want to see good fighting games get released.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 30, 2011

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Istvan posted:

Okay here's my first question, why steampunk? You're a goon, you had to know what kind of reaction you were going to get.

e: I'm sort of holding any criticisms until I see game footage though, what's the ballpark on when we'll see some of that?

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 30, 2011

Uncle Istvan
Sep 16, 2005

The Rokstar posted:

Okay here's my first question, why steampunk? You're a goon, you had to know what kind of reaction you were going to get.

Oh, I knew exactly what kind of reaction I would get. To be quite honest with you, when we were deciding what our art theme would be at the start of the year, I sort of snarkily threw out some Zybourne Clock material and said this would look great as a fighting game. After doing some designs it turned out to actually look pretty good and it allowed us a lot of neat options for the GUI, so it stuck.

For game play footage, we are going to be bringing some screen shots sooner rather than later. We started with some programmers that were essentially going to lead us to a Zybourne Clock-esque failure since our art/production work was way ahead. We are on track to have our 4 character demo up in June, but again, we're trucking to get stuff up earlier to meet expectations.

Waterbed posted:

Sure, I'm on AIM right now at CircularGeometry and I'd love to talk with you about any questions/inquiries you have!

Uncle Istvan fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Fauxtool posted:

Sounds like a waste of time, just reskin streetfighter4 on pc. steam cyber-akuma anyone?

Steampunk Dan.

• Locked thread