Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How hard would it be to write an app that checked this page (the URL is the same every week) and downloaded the list every week?

Or just downloaded that page, it's a txt file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dickeye posted:

How hard would it be to write an app that checked this page (the URL is the same every week) and downloaded the list every week?

If the format and stuff remains the same, then it's fairly trivial, as far apps go. Depending on what you want it to do, you could have a feature-complete, if barebones, app within a few hours. It's basically just parsing text.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

404notfound posted:

If the format and stuff remains the same, then it's fairly trivial, as far apps go. Depending on what you want it to do, you could have a feature-complete, if barebones, app within a few hours. It's basically just parsing text.

I just want something that will check that page, download the current version, and let me read it. I have an issue with getting to the comic shop and having no idea what's out that week that I wanted to get and it'd help to have a written list in front of me.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've been out of the android loop for a while, so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm wondering if there's an app that can accomplish what I'm looking for.

Whenever I get home, I usually plug my Evo into the AUX jack on my stereo system and listen to Winamp/Pandora while I dick around on my computer. I'm wondering if there's anything that will let me control either of these programs directly from my desktop. I did some googling, but all I could find were apps that made the phone act as a remote control for Winamp. I'm looking for something that works in the opposite direction.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dickeye posted:

Serious question, what would you be looking for in an app that you wouldn't get from bookmarking that page in a web browser and checking it? Formatting? Checking for some specific titles?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

spixxor posted:

I'm starting to think it must be tied in with the beautiful widgets app itself, which sucks because I don't want to delete it. :( I like my pretty widgets.

If you like it that much, just buy it on the normal Market. I mean, pretty much the major reasoning for not paying for apps is "what if I don't like it?" Eat ramen for lunch today and have frustration-free widgets. Apologies if you're already eating ramen daily, that's a bad time and I don't miss it.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

LastInLine posted:

boat browser

I know I might be like the tenth person to say it now, but the boat browser is a-ok!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spixxor posted:

I'm starting to think it must be tied in with the beautiful widgets app itself, which sucks because I don't want to delete it. :( I like my pretty widgets.
Then maybe you should pay for it and support the developer?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Or block the getjar server IP in your host file if the choice between paying or pirating isn't enough.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Is GetJar anything like the Amazon app store, where you have to have their app installed on your phone to run any of the apps you get off of it?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Leathal posted:

choice between paying or pirating

What's the real story about the legitimacy of getjar anyway? There's a couple page thread on androidforums about free apps on getjar and everyone saying its all on the up and up. I've been thinking of trying some of the stuff but don't want to do it if this is true and they also bake in some kind of market downloader agent shite.

Android forums is a place that will edit and delete posts with a quickness for talking about tethering pirating or anything bad. Guilty unless proven innocent, you'd practically have to scan and post your bill showing a tethering plan to even say anything about that. It will eventually get to the point of posting a question like "how do mount usb storage on windows?" will get a response of "windows is a commercial operating system we do not support piracy here"

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Wagonburner posted:

What's the real story about the legitimacy of getjar anyway? There's a couple page thread on androidforums about free apps on getjar and everyone saying its all on the up and up. I've been thinking of trying some of the stuff but don't want to do it if this is true and they also bake in some kind of market downloader agent shite.

Android forums is a place that will edit and delete posts with a quickness for talking about tethering pirating or anything bad. Guilty unless proven innocent, you'd practically have to scan and post your bill showing a tethering plan to even say anything about that. It will eventually get to the point of posting a question like "how do mount usb storage on windows?" will get a response of "windows is a commercial operating system we do not support piracy here"

Get Jar is legit and goes way back to the old Palm / feature phone days when all that stuff was nothing but java apps. They were interviewed on a TWiT podcast not too long ago.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Do launchers like Launcher Pro and ADW run on top of the stock one (so both are running sucking up memory/battery) or do they replace it?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

gmq posted:

Do launchers like Launcher Pro and ADW run on top of the stock one (so both are running sucking up memory/battery) or do they replace it?

They don't replace it entirely but only one launcher runs at a time. Android doesn't use system resources like Windows.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Then maybe you should pay for it and support the developer?

I'm planning on it. Just sort of annoyed that this is a thing. I'm brand new to smartphones and I was mostly just trying to make sure that this wasn't something bad, just annoying, and that I wasn't overlooking anything I was supposed to do.

Guess I'll steer clear of getjar in the future.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Get Jar is legit

It's a shame they can't present themselves that way.

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime
Sentinel 3 is one of the Goon-made games/apps, yes? That's currently on the GetJar Gold section - maybe he has some insight on their deal, since his app is in the same boat as Beautiful Widgets (a paid app on every other Appstore).

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

And ev'ry last inch of me's covered with HAIR!
Is there an app which senses if the phone is horizontal (ie laid on a table) and turns off haptic feedback or if the phone is vertical (ie in my pocket) and turns it on?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

rearadmiral.rowboat posted:

Is there an app which senses if the phone is horizontal (ie laid on a table) and turns off haptic feedback or if the phone is vertical (ie in my pocket) and turns it on?

This sounds like something Tasker can probably do. Basically, Tasker can do anything.

https://market.android.com/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

letsgoflyers81 posted:

This sounds like something Tasker can probably do. Basically, Tasker can do anything.

https://market.android.com/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm

I couldn't make it prevent my leg from doing all sorts of stuff to the phone after I'd gotten a Handcent popup! :argh:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

hooah posted:

I couldn't make it prevent my leg from doing all sorts of stuff to the phone after I'd gotten a Handcent popup! :argh:

Why not? Set it so that when you hit volume up and volume down at the same time, it locks the screen until the next time you hit those buttons together, and then only use that lock chord when you're pocketing it. :chord:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Splizwarf posted:

Why not? Set it so that when you hit volume up and volume down at the same time, it locks the screen until the next time you hit those buttons together, and then only use that lock chord when you're pocketing it. :chord:

Holy... What? I had no idea something like that was possible! I'd asked here and in the Tasker thread once or twice, and no one really had any good ideas. Since I only messed around with the trial version a tad, could you give me an idea of how I'd go about setting this up?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Is there any way to disable or remove the "ES" button in Swype? It's in a super prominent spot next to the spacebar and I hit it all the time by accident and change the keyboard to Spanish. Seems odd for something you set once and never change again.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Hooah: hosed if I know, haven't done specifically that before; I'll figure it out and trip report it for you. I never bothered, didn't need to because the Streak screen goes apeshit from static if it's face-in against the owner's leg. :(

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

blargle posted:

Is there any way to disable or remove the "ES" button in Swype? It's in a super prominent spot next to the spacebar and I hit it all the time by accident and change the keyboard to Spanish. Seems odd for something you set once and never change again.

No but you can stop it by switching all the other languages off in options.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

I've been out of the android loop for a while, so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm wondering if there's an app that can accomplish what I'm looking for.

Whenever I get home, I usually plug my Evo into the AUX jack on my stereo system and listen to Winamp/Pandora while I dick around on my computer. I'm wondering if there's anything that will let me control either of these programs directly from my desktop. I did some googling, but all I could find were apps that made the phone act as a remote control for Winamp. I'm looking for something that works in the opposite direction.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not 100% sure, but you might be able to do this with AirDroid. It let's you control you phone remotely from a browser window if it's on the same wifi network as your computer. You can even receive and answer text messages and stuff.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

blargle posted:

Unfortunately probably not, save for disabling all languages but English, though the key will still be there. I really like the Swype concept but I too am disappointed with some of their layout decisions. I do use the language key, but a giant smiley key? WTF?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SB35 posted:

Unfortunately probably not, save for disabling all languages but English, though the key will still be there. I really like the Swype concept but I too am disappointed with some of their layout decisions. I do use the language key, but a giant smiley key? WTF?

I've just gone back to Slide It. Same input method, less dumb things.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did they ever fix Swype to work on 720p screens?

edit: looks like no.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 30, 2011

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

IRQ posted:

I've been Looking at switching but only Swype supports Mandarin Chinese as a language, swiftkeyx and slideit do not.

If switching between input methods in Android was a bit another or quicker it wouldn't be a problem.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Until DicePlayer sorts its poo poo out so it can be purchasable again on the market give BSPlayer Lite (free) a try, it also supports hardware accelerated playback of mkv files with subtitles.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

IRQ posted:

I find it annoying that slide it, swiftkey, and Swype could easily be combined into one much much better keyboard.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

SB35 posted:

I've been Looking at switching but only Swype supports Mandarin Chinese as a language, swiftkeyx and slideit do not.

If switching between input methods in Android was a bit another or quicker it wouldn't be a problem.

Long press on the text box, Input Method.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SB35 posted:

I use the smiley key constantly but I've never learned another language.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Can someone recommend an app or something that will remind someone of a text message? Something like vibrate every x minutes when a text goes unread.

One thing: I don't wanna replace the stock messaging app, I like it. Just something that will do this one feature for me :)

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can someone recommend an app or something that will remind someone of a text message? Something like vibrate every x minutes when a text goes unread.

One thing: I don't wanna replace the stock messaging app, I like it. Just something that will do this one feature for me :)

I thought it did that already... then again, I haven't used the stock app in forever. I dunno about any apps specifically for that, but I figure you could do it in tasker, if you have it (you should). Haven't tried it, but I'd assume it'd require a custom variable, say "unread", initialized to false. When you get a text, one task sets unread to true. Another task monitors unread, and if true, starts a loop of "Vibrate Alert, then wait x minutes" until unread is set to false. One more task would set unread to false whenever the messages app is opened. Might work, might not.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Lprsti99 posted:

I thought it did that already... then again, I haven't used the stock app in forever. I dunno about any apps specifically for that, but I figure you could do it in tasker, if you have it (you should). Haven't tried it, but I'd assume it'd require a custom variable, say "unread", initialized to false. When you get a text, one task sets unread to true. Another task monitors unread, and if true, starts a loop of "Vibrate Alert, then wait x minutes" until unread is set to false. One more task would set unread to false whenever the messages app is opened. Might work, might not.

Well its not for me, its for my girlfriends dad who's a mechanic. Sometimes he wont feel his phone go off and wont hear it either. He has a casio commando (one of those rugged phones) so you can see the situation im in here.

I downloaded some of the apps off the market...I just wanted to hear some opinions from people on which ones work/which ones don't.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BrainParasite posted:

I find it annoying that slide it, swiftkey, and Swype could easily be combined into one much much better keyboard.

Oh god yes. All the good parts of those 3 with all the dumb stuff taken out would be amazing.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Well its not for me, its for my girlfriends dad who's a mechanic. Sometimes he wont feel his phone go off and wont hear it either. He has a casio commando (one of those rugged phones) so you can see the situation im in here.

I downloaded some of the apps off the market...I just wanted to hear some opinions from people on which ones work/which ones don't.

Oh, you should have said so, could have fooled me with:

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

That said, I don't know of any apps that do that, so hopefully someone else has experience with them (Though I'd hazard a guess that most people in here use something besides the stock app)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Lprsti99 posted:

Oh, you should have said so, could have fooled me with:

That said, I don't know of any apps that do that, so hopefully someone else has experience with them (Though I'd hazard a guess that most people in here use something besides the stock app)

Ah yeah I hosed that up. My bad :)

I found one anyways, I didn't wanna replace the stock messaging app because I wanted to keep things as simple as possible for him. Also, drat that phone is actually pretty nice. Crisp screen, and its nice and responsive. Definitely not what I expected from a loving casio phone that's made to be dropped and get wet and treated like poo poo :psyduck:

• Locked thread