Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Vertigus posted:

Is that parallax mapping?

It is. The entire high-res set's getting revamped. Originals on top, high-res 1.0 in the middle, current high-res 2.0 progress beneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

It is. The entire high-res set's getting revamped. Originals on top, high-res 1.0 in the middle, current high-res 2.0 progress beneath.

Awesome. I've never actually seen that kind of technique used in a 2.5d sourceport before and I figure it would be a really nice way of adding detail without taking away from the old-school artstyle.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

tooooooo bad posted:

So this is pretty special.

(animated) :japan:

getting some Demon Rush vibes off that...another brilliant piece of outsider art!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Vertigus posted:

Awesome. I've never actually seen that kind of technique used in a 2.5d sourceport before and I figure it would be a really nice way of adding detail without taking away from the old-school artstyle.

Eduke32 has supported it for 3 years.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I got stuck in Red Faction because the sub I'm supposed to hijack blew up when I tried lowering it. :suicide:

Edit: Enabled VSync and it worked. :downs:

Zeether fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 27, 2011

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The changes you have made to the flamethrower are sublime and I definitely find myself using it a lot more now. While I'm thinking about it, I've got some free time and was wondering if you'd be interested in me putting together a map and tossing it your way.
Go for it! Just use 7zip to pull splot.wad out of reelism_11.pk7 (it's just a renamed 7zip file) and use that as a resource in Doom Builder. Then all the special actors used will appear in the Things menu under the Reelism category. Check out mapmaking.txt for more things to keep in mind.

Dr Snofeld posted:

I get the following error when I try to play Reelism with GZDoom:
When in doubt, grab a SVN build.

closeted republican posted:

Here's something interesting recently released that's related to early FPS games:

Way back in 1996ish, Micropose was working on a FPS based on X-COM called X-COM: Alliance. It got cancelled in 2002, but someone managed to get their hands on a beta dated around 1998 that uses Unreal Engine 1 and put it up for download:

http://www.multiupload.com/9IS9KY2NFY

I figure this would be interesting for anyone interested in cancelled early 3D FPSes or remember Alliance back in the day.
There's also a bunch of ancient Unreal 1 data in this, apparently. Unfortunately the formats are subtly different so I can't see them. :(

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Kazvall posted:

Sorry I didn't do that AVP thing. I didn't see any interest so I figured gently caress it. Kinda yearning to host some skulltag again soon. Maybe some heretic wads, and some more brutal doom with more obscure maps people haven't played yet.

Honestly I thought it would be interesting, I didn't have time because it was Christmas eve. Maybe it'd work another day?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Sorry about the issue with the X-Com: Alliance beta thing earlier. Here's the solution to the "Insert CD" bug:

quote:

Extract to C:\Alliance or find CDPath in Unreal.ini and modify appropriately.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Parallax-mapped high res textures for Marathon

:fap:

Now all we need is a renderer to use them with that lets you look up and down. :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Reelism v1.2 has peeled off the production line. Here's your changelog!

Safe For Widescreen: I went ahead and extended any cutoff sprites by hand, so now Reelism looks perfectly fine on widescreen resolutions!

Better Tanking: As well as being widescreen-friendly, the tank has had a few bugfixes relating to getting stuck in walls as well as a weaponry upgrade: The cannon now hits harder and faster, and the machinegun actually works.

Boss Smarts: Bosses are no longer stunlocked by fire, and will no longer credit your victory to anything other than you, fixing a variety of weird bugs involving victory. Oh, and the Imp Tank is a little less likely to kill you in a single shot. Which is nice.

Miscellaneous Bug Fixes: And some stuff I couldn't fit in any category:
  • Minor improvements to the baseball bat code
  • Fixed Flamethrower ammo staying around forever
  • Fixed a crash when burning alive during Bloody Screen So Real
  • Fixed auto-switching to fists no matter what
The next version will probably be a ways off, because I want to make it a big expansion-style update with new maps and stuff. Here's hoping there aren't any major new bugs that need fixing, anyway.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
So, something called "Epsilon" was recently released for Quake. It's a premade combination of textures and mesh mods, built on the darkplaces engine, that is essentially idiot-proof. It also comes with the Quake demo, so you can check it out even if you somehow don't already own Quake (currently $2.49 on Steam) but would like to play pretty Quake.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Chex Quest Fan Fiction! roleplay too! :awesome:

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

SwissCM posted:

Eduke32 has supported it for 3 years.

Eduke32 also happens to be a pile of poo poo if you try running it with Polymer.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

On ATI cards primarily.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
My mind is still blown by how grossly inefficient Polymer is, even on Nvidia rigs. I've committed to the HRP V4.x packs and Polymost, which run exponentially smoother.

Plagman
Aug 11, 2011

Vertigus posted:

Eduke32 also happens to be a pile of poo poo if you try running it with Polymer.

Care to elaborate? Sure, it is slower than you'd expect; you seem to be implying there are more problems than that.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My mind is still blown by how grossly inefficient Polymer is, even on Nvidia rigs. I've committed to the HRP V4.x packs and Polymost, which run exponentially smoother.

Yep. I keep trying to play Duke Nukem Eternity with the latest Polymer and it's never been playable. I even upgraded from an ATI HD4850 to an NVidia GTX 460 recently and performance seems to have gotten worse.

It's not that it's slower than I expect, it's that it adds these really long load times and then the game doesn't run at all. I think the developer really needs to forget about features like per-pixel lighting and focus on making everything else efficient.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 30, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Plagman posted:

Care to elaborate? Sure, it is slower than you'd expect; you seem to be implying there are more problems than that.

I have a 560ti/oc - a video card capable of playing Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3 on Ultra detail while barely breaking a sweat. The EDuke Polymer engine brings it to its knees even on the smaller and less-detailed maps of stuff like WGRealms 2.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Quake series is on sale at Steam today. $8 for the lot!

Plagman
Aug 11, 2011

Vertigus posted:

It's not that it's slower than I expect, it's that it adds these really long load times and then the game doesn't run at all. I think the developer really needs to forget about features like per-pixel lighting and focus on making everything else efficient.

Polymer doesn't really affect loading times; if you use the same HRP version, you should get a very similar loading time when using the old renderer. Your second point doesn't really make sense to me; the point of Polymer _is_ advanced rendering features. There's already a basic renderer that's plenty fast.

I agree that it's way too slow in its current state, and it's a well-known fact. Now that all the features more or less work, making them go fast is the next step. You have to keep in mind that it's already a miracle that Polymer and its HRP even happened in the first place; the Duke3D community is a _lot_ smaller than the Doom community, yet you don't see Doom achieving this kind of visual quality.

It seems to me you're just a bunch of whiners; it's fine if you can't afford the Quad-SLI setup that you need to run Duke3D, but don't vent your frustration on others and go back to playing your ugly-rear end "Crysis 2" or "Battlefield 3".

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Oh goddamnit Plagman, keep this :smug: up and it's 10bux wasted :(

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Plagman posted:

Your second point doesn't really make sense to me; the point of Polymer _is_ advanced rendering features. There's already a basic renderer that's plenty fast.

There's probably plenty of people out there who are into advanced rendering features for the sake of advanced rendering features, but I think there's a lot of wisdom in reservation. One of the things I admire about GZDoom is that it does implement fancy new features, but the teams behind it take care to keep things speedy and preserve the tone of the game without making it look garish. I don't think that has to do with the larger community, just a different approach.

I know I'm one to talk, since I'm not doing much to come up with a middle ground between Eduke32's basic renderer and the crazy stuff going on in Polymer, but it's what I'd like to see.

Also, here's a couple rad pictures of GZDoom that I found:

quote:

It seems to me you're just a bunch of whiners; it's fine if you can't afford the Quad-SLI setup that you need to run Duke3D, but don't vent your frustration on others and go back to playing your ugly-rear end "Crysis 2" or "Battlefield 3".

Oh you bitch

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Meh. The level looks really pretty, but is it really worth the effort since the enemies are so ugly?

At least they aren't sprites.

Changing the subject, has Brutal Doom becoming more and more demanding of your computer to play or it is just my notebook getting old (2009)?

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 30, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

HardDisk posted:

Changing the subject, has Brutal Doom becoming more and more demanding of your computer to play or it is just my notebook getting old (2009)?

It's actually gotten less demanding. About 2-3 updates back the density of smoke and blood effects was greatly reduced.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Vertigus posted:

What are these from? Tell me now.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Please don't fight, mom and dad :ohdear: You can make nice looking things in different ways using different engines. No need to argue about who's pixels are the most shaded!

Now, how about we calm down and play some cool mods?

Remember HACX? It was a fairly weird little retail Doom 2 TC that was given a free release years ago. Well, a bunch of guys from the ZDoom forums cleaned it up a little for modern play, and are working on a big new version of it that revamps the levels, improves the art and makes things quite nicer. You can grab the updated version here (it's an IWAD so it'll appear in ZDoom's game list when placed in the same directory as the EXE) here, and a five level alpha of the revamp here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKNMZj4yyJ4

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Dominic White posted:

It's actually gotten less demanding. About 2-3 updates back the density of smoke and blood effects was greatly reduced.

Somehow I missed the last 2-3 updates. :downs: Thanks!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

What are these from? Tell me now.

I'm pretty sure the first one is from Demon Eclipse and the second is from... well, if I had to take a guess I'd say Ultimate Torment and Torture, but I'm nowhere near as confident of that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

JerryLee posted:

I'm pretty sure the first one is from Demon Eclipse and the second is from... well, if I had to take a guess I'd say Ultimate Torment and Torture, but I'm nowhere near as confident of that.

Thanks.

Is it just me, or are the Community Chest Megawads garbage? I played through maybe the first 6 or 7 levels of Chest 1 before I junked it; all of the maps stuck me as amateurish, with bad flow and aesthetics. The thing was, you could tell these weren't the first maps the authors had ever made, but they were still ugly as sin and completely unimaginative, with this distinctly unfinished feel.

On the other hand, I tried Chest 2 out and was pleasantly surprised with the first couple of maps. Then everything went out the window and these sprawling, tedious maps started taking their place. No real art direction or focus, just imbalanced messes that give me the impression they were put together as quickly as possible.

I know somebody said Chest 3 gets better after the first map, but it's seriously a terrible start. How did these megawads become so popular?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Man I love Reelism, for years I've wanted a 3D version of Smash TV, this is pretty close. If only I could survive more than 30 seconds. Could I suggest some Rise of the Triad Weapons for future releases? at the very least the drunk missile launcher would be a welcome addition.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Thanks.

Is it just me, or are the Community Chest Megawads garbage? I played through maybe the first 6 or 7 levels of Chest 1 before I junked it; all of the maps stuck me as amateurish, with bad flow and aesthetics. The thing was, you could tell these weren't the first maps the authors had ever made, but they were still ugly as sin and completely unimaginative, with this distinctly unfinished feel.

On the other hand, I tried Chest 2 out and was pleasantly surprised with the first couple of maps. Then everything went out the window and these sprawling, tedious maps started taking their place. No real art direction or focus, just imbalanced messes that give me the impression they were put together as quickly as possible.

I know somebody said Chest 3 gets better after the first map, but it's seriously a terrible start. How did these megawads become so popular?

Yeah, they're good from a variety standpoint but I do seem to recall there being a number of fairly so-so maps in there that seem to end up being sprawling loving messes of switch and key hunts or just shittily designed in general. Unfortunately, that's pretty much par for the course with all of these community WADs I've played - even the really highly regarded ones like Hell Revealed (admittedly, the original was a two-man project, IIRC) and Alien Vendetta have some serious duds in them. The impression I get from reading Doomworld threads about community megawads in progress is that they can't always get people to fill slots so they have to compromise by including some crappy maps in with the good ones.

That's the thing though - they do showcase a lot of really interesting ideas. If nothing else, they're good to play through to see what ideas people come up with for traps, level design and detailing if you want to design your own maps. I haven't played with Doom Builder for a while but I did get a lot of good inspiration from other people's maps when designing some of my own.

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 31, 2011

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Plagman posted:

:psyboom:

Im not going to reply this with technical language but with this: Polymer is pointless because it eats resources for breakfast. Instead of that, most Duke3D players would love better 3d models because right now the good old vanilla sprites are better. There are quite a lot of stuff they can improve instead of wasting time on polymer, wich is for most players skippable.

Also calling everyone whiners makes your :smug: tech talk hit the ground because if something had this thread in abundance was respect between goons.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

QwertySanchez posted:

Man I love Reelism, for years I've wanted a 3D version of Smash TV, this is pretty close. If only I could survive more than 30 seconds. Could I suggest some Rise of the Triad Weapons for future releases? at the very least the drunk missile launcher would be a welcome addition.
A "ROTT in Hell" weapon rule would be neat. I'll give it a bit of thought, and see if the maker of the ROTT TC is cool with me rifling through his stuff.

I plan on releasing an update in the next couple days, since you mentioned it. It'll add various little polish things, fix annoying bugs like the boss not spawning, and add options for longer and infinite play for people who like hurting their computers.

Guillermus posted:

Also calling everyone whiners makes your :smug: tech talk hit the ground because if something had this thread in abundance was respect between goons.
Honestly, I'm really happy with how this thread, and the past classic FPS threads, have gone. There hasn't been any arguing or poo poo like that, it's all been about as chill as a thread about gibbing demons and aliens can be. You guys are great!

And to celebrate the new year, the Russian Overkill guy did a fireworks display! Isn't that nice of him?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BIvBbeLo8A

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

drat, I just started CC2 and thought it seemed to be pretty fun, too bad it goes awry later.

I just played through Phobos Massacre and Double Impact with Brutal Doom coop with a friend I haven't seen in ages. Fun as hell but dbimpact on UV with BD got pretty crazy near the end. Shotgunners!! :argh:

I've been enjoying the thread a lot too. I'm thrilled at how QLZ has been received, it's really rare for me to release software to the masses. One of these days I'll get to the cross-platform rewrite.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Guillermus posted:

Im not going to reply this with technical language but with this: Polymer is pointless because it eats resources for breakfast. Instead of that, most Duke3D players would love better 3d models because right now the good old vanilla sprites are better. There are quite a lot of stuff they can improve instead of wasting time on polymer, wich is for most players skippable.

The Duke3D HRP does need more artists, after all we're still using models made half a decade ago! But Plagman isn't an artist, he's a programmer. He can't just drop everything Polymer and start making 3D models, he doesn't have the skillset.

Polymost is a technological dead end. It's a quick hack by Ken Silverman coded in his patented incomprehensible style, so don't expect much more from that renderer.

Guillermus posted:

He was just trolling. He has spent the last few years working on Polymer so I dunno maybe you hurt his feelings a little bit too.

Vertigus posted:

There's probably plenty of people out there who are into advanced rendering features for the sake of advanced rendering features, but I think there's a lot of wisdom in reservation. One of the things I admire about GZDoom is that it does implement fancy new features, but the teams behind it take care to keep things speedy and preserve the tone of the game without making it look garish. I don't think that has to do with the larger community, just a different approach.

The Doom engine's levels are almost completely static, which makes 3D rendering of them relatively easy. With Build, every single wall, floor, and vertex is able to change position at any time. Polymost is a hack, it barely works, and even it has issues which make it impossible for it to ever be as accurate as the software renderer. Polymer on the other hand is designed to do it properly. Designing a 3D renderer that can cope with that is a huge challenge.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 31, 2011

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

The Kins posted:

A "ROTT in Hell" weapon rule would be neat. I'll give it a bit of thought, and see if the maker of the ROTT TC is cool with me rifling through his stuff.

I've got some other ideas/suggestions too, if you don't mind 'em

The Kins posted:

And to celebrate the new year, the Russian Overkill guy did a fireworks display! Isn't that nice of him?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BIvBbeLo8A

I Love the vibe of this mod, it's like there was a cold war over demon murdering and Russia Crippled their economy and their workforce to make this happen.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

QwertySanchez posted:

I've got some other ideas/suggestions too, if you don't mind 'em

I Love the vibe of this mod, it's like there was a cold war over demon murdering and Russia Crippled their economy and their workforce to make this happen.

And Vodka. Lots and lots of Vodka.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

HardDisk posted:

And Vodka. Lots and lots of Vodka.

I really feel like at least one of the characters in that wad, probably the cyborg guy, should carry a bottle around with him to supplement his fists weapon from which you could periodically regularly take a swig to restore health or something because that's how vodka works on Russians right? Like smoking a cigarette in Vanquish.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Holy poo poo, I love Reelism. The tank is so awesome, I love when I get it.

EDIT:

:haw:

I love camping in the house and throwing nades outside to get rid of enemies.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

I really feel like at least one of the characters in that wad, probably the cyborg guy, should carry a bottle around with him to supplement his fists weapon from which you could periodically regularly take a swig to restore health or something because that's how vodka works on Russians right? Like smoking a cigarette in Vanquish.

But what about his fart weapon?

Reelism + Russian Overkill = Match made in heaven.