Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rykert
Mar 13, 2010
Hadn't heard Infinity Mechanism off Album 8 before, but I not only find it amazing but think the recent flash fits perfectly to it. I am still kind of in awe! My favourite part is the still with Jake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I may be misinterpreting things, but my understanding was that without the prototyping process, the Battlefield can't transform. It wasn't until Jade entered the game that the Tumor could be retrieved, after all.

So if the kids don't prototype anything there's nowhere to raise the Genesis Frog

Which I'm pretty sure is still a priority?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

YggiDee posted:

I may be misinterpreting things, but my understanding was that without the prototyping process, the Battlefield can't transform. It wasn't until Jade entered the game that the Tumor could be retrieved, after all.

So if the kids don't prototype anything there's nowhere to raise the Genesis Frog

Which I'm pretty sure is still a priority?

There's a perfectly good only slightly used Skaia being delivered to their Incipisphere as we speak.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
Not Skaia, Battlefield. Skaia's the crucible of creation (the pond) inside. I... think? Anyways they'll need a new one I'm pretty sure.

But what an incredible update. It was like a trailer of what's coming up, almost. He sure knows how to stoke the fires of anticipation.

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 30, 2011

Armadillos!
Mar 28, 2010

I'm a swimming cat. Have you heard of a candy that gives courage and strength to weaklings? No? I see. But you're a strong goon, so I doubt you would need any.
Here's a set of icons for people to use, of the new kids.

D???, Jake, R??? and Jane. :D

I so can't wait for act 6 part 2 :woop:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Armadillos! posted:

I think it might be time for a change and unless someone else requested this already, I'm gonna go ahead and grab this and add the legendary piece of poo poo back to the available pile.

edit: Searched the last 3 pages for "DS" and "Bro" and it didn't look like anyone asked for this, so I grabbed it! I'm sorry if I ruined your day.

This one's available now:

Fortis fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 30, 2011

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

:colbert:

^^^ GOD DAMNIT

Fortis you have failed me.

Aurora fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 30, 2011

Armadillos!
Mar 28, 2010

I'm a swimming cat. Have you heard of a candy that gives courage and strength to weaklings? No? I see. But you're a strong goon, so I doubt you would need any.

Chunky12345 posted:

:colbert:

^^^ GOD DAMNIT

:thumbsup:

I love making icons.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Armadillos! posted:

:thumbsup:

I love making icons.

I just took yours and added the border explicitly so he would buy it with the border but then he bought it before I posted :argh:

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Also, going back to the translation talk no one likes but I find simply fascinating, there was mention of how only ~GLORIOUS NIHONGO~ was being translated but that isn't true.

I give you le Homestuck (I love their logo)

It was mentioned earlier that Frisian was the closest language to English, but that's not really true - it's the closest to Old English. As in, pre-Norman. I'm of the opinion French is the closest language to modern English, so it seems like a pretty good place to begin.

FR3NCH TROLL posted:

EB: c’est quoi ?
GC: C3ST L4 C4RT3 D3 TON MOND3
GC: 4V3C T4 S3COND3 PORT3 1ND1QU33
GC: POUR QU3 TU PU1SS3S Y 4LL3R
EB: oh oui, je vais laisser tomber tout ce que je suis en train de faire pour y aller parce que je brûle d'envie de suivre encore un de tes conseils !
GC: JOHN S1L T3 PL41T

The Angriest Frenchman posted:

CG: MEME SI ON VOUS DETESTE.
CG: ET MEME SI LE FAIT QU’ON VOUS DETESTE
CG: EST UN FAIT IMMUABLE AUSSI INALTERABLE QUE CE SAC DE NOEUDS INFERNAL DE CONTINUUM QUI AURA NOTRE PEAU A TOUS
CG: CA NE VEUT PAS DIRE QU’ON A LA MOINDRE RAISON DE VOUS CACHER LA MOINDRE INFORMATION
CG: OU DE L’ESQUIVER AVEC DU BARAGOUINAGE CRYPTILLOGIQUE.
CG: ALORS VAS-Y, DEMANDE-MOI N’IMPORTE QUOI.

The trolls will be so much fun for translators/localizers. The second quote there had the line "cryptobabbling mind fuddlery" which translates to "baragouinage cryptillogique."

Baragouinage

Unfortunately the two languages are a bit too similar, so nonsense words in English are about just as nonsense in French (and for the same reasons), so captchalogue is... captchalogue (both capture and catalogue come from French). Sylledex is... Sylledex (Syllabus and index both come from Latin, so French has them too.)

But STRIFE is CONFLIT, at least.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Starmaker posted:

Also, going back to the translation talk no one likes but I find simply fascinating, there was mention of how only ~GLORIOUS NIHONGO~ was being translated but that isn't true.

I give you le Homestuck (I love their logo)

It was mentioned earlier that Frisian was the closest language to English, but that's not really true - it's the closest to Old English. As in, pre-Norman. I'm of the opinion French is the closest language to modern English, so it seems like a pretty good place to begin.

The trolls will be so much fun for translators/localizers. The second quote there had the line "cryptobabbling mind fuddlery" which translates to "baragouinage cryptillogique."

Baragouinage

Unfortunately the two languages are a bit too similar, so nonsense words in English are about just as nonsense in French (and for the same reasons), so captchalogue is... captchalogue (both capture and catalogue come from French). Sylledex is... Sylledex (Syllabus and index both come from Latin, so French has them too.)

But STRIFE is CONFLIT, at least.

There's certainly potential for a Tintin-esque French translation, even if only in reverse - Karkat can rave about 'mille millions de mille milliards de mille sabords!' quite handily - but again there's the issue of localisation.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Chunky12345 posted:

Fortis you have failed me.

Sorry. I'll make it up to you, someday. :smith:

edit: On the subject of the Japanese Homestuck translation, I would think the troll typing quirks would/should be more like the way One Piece villains talk, than anything. They usually just pronounce a few syllables as something else, or add a suffix to their sentences. Also, Nepeta's quirk seems obvious (although it's been done); every instance of 'na' would be 'nya', the Japanese equivalent to 'meow'. Maybe they're doing that already, I don't know. I can't actually read Japanese, so I only skimmed their wiki.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 30, 2011

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

quote:

I'm going to dispute this.

English only resembles French on a superficial level--as in, it borrowed a lot of words from French and some influences on pronunciation thanks to the Normans, but it had little to no effect on the more fundamental structures or core vocabulary of the language. Old Norse had more of an effect on English grammar than did French. In a nutshell English did not come to more closely resemble Latin languages on a structural level.

Closest living language to English is Scots. That's even after Norman. It's even somewhat mutually intelligible, though the beautiful thing about Scots is that it retains Germanic vocabulary that is now obsolete in English. So in Scots, their language is called the Scots Leid.

VVVVV Noooooo. The reason why Scots is not merely a dialect is because the division between English and Scots is actually very old. It happened during the early days of Middle English, before Chaucer.

Please don't be one of those nationalistic linguists and take "a language is a dialect with an army and navy" seriously.

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 30, 2011

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Also very important, Sweet Bro et Hella Jeff

Je tavais prevenu pour les escaliers mec!!!!

Je te lavais dit

^^^^^^
You are correct, but some people think of it as a mere dialect, because the English did everything in their power to remove any sense of prestige it had.

Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff in Scots.

VVVVV
That's pretty impressive (also check your PMs. Linguistics debate wooh!)

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 30, 2011

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
Ic talde þec of stægras, broþor!

Ic talde þec hund!

</Old English, from memory, stuff is probably wrong>

^^^ Hey, don't congratulate me, like I said I could be very much wrong.

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 30, 2011

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I find it a bit odd that the walls in Jane's room on Prospit appear to have purple wallpaper, which is usually associated with Derse.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Ubik posted:

Is there anybody else who can't view the flash? It starts loading, gets to 2%, then the load indicator disappears and it never loads the rest of the way.

Mine got to about 11% before the preload indicator vanished, but it finished loading for me shortly afterward v:shobon:v

EDIT: Also, it is weird that there don't appear to be any prototype towers on Prospit.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 30, 2011

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

dumb brunette posted:

EDIT: Also, it is weird that there don't appear to be any prototype towers on Prospit.

Maye it's a feature of a post-scratch prospit. I don't remember, did the troll kids have towers on their planets?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Nostalgamus posted:

I find it a bit odd that the walls in Jane's room on Prospit appear to have purple wallpaper, which is usually associated with Derse.
*shrug* At least it matches her purple dream-slippers.

quote:

quote:

Maye it's a feature of a post-scratch prospit. I don't remember, did the troll kids have towers on their planets?
Yeah, that is pretty odd. Troll Derse definitely has the towers, I'd guess Troll Prospit too?

I suspect the key factor here is the survival of the pre-scratch Kids, their planets and their Battlefield - which didn't happen in the Troll session, so the Trolls would still need their prototyping towers.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Somehow this will be related to the battlefield Jade's bringing, as well as the two Queen's Rings currently heading towards the session, I'm sure of it.

The question now is how do the players enter the game without prototyping?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

VJeff posted:

There's a perfectly good only slightly used Skaia being delivered to their Incipisphere as we speak.

The whole problem with the slightly used Battlefield they're bringing is that it had a Tumor instead of the necessary frog-incubator.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Obviously they're going to prototype one of the alpha kids' kernel sprites with the used Battlefield.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Oh dang, it turns out that Eidelon Orpheus, the guy who was responsible for the music in this flash, also made music for Bravemule, that one really goddamn good dwarffortress LP that started in SA. Small world.

I'm going to have to gather up links of all the musicians for when Homestuck ends. I don't know if they're going to be involved in whatever future project Hussie has but they deserve to be followed beyond HS as they are pretty awesome.

Speaking of which, Bowman is going to have a new solo album out soon. Gonna include appearances by other HS musicians. Should be pretty sweet.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 30, 2011

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Oh boy, I do love me some Infinity Mechanism :swoon:

Man, I love this update so damned much. It was just so choc full of awesome song-visuals-combos. gently caress it, I'm just going to GUSH.

Wasn't it neat how the cloud colours matched the particular kid they were showing? Wasn't it cool how the Imperial Crockerdrones' collar-plate-things smacked together in time with the beat to the song? Don't you just love how the scenes change via that cool zoom-out-from-fullscreen thing that Andrew also did in Cascade that I love and I'm glad he did again? Wasn't it just plain loving awesome how the flicker of R-mom's fenestrated window over her I'm-about-to-do-some-sort-of-masterstroke grinning face was also in time with the song? You know that bit where Jane is looking out her tower window and it's all fade-from-white-out like it's goddamned bright and at the same time the music's all sounding what how it does when your eardrums get well-screwed by something loud as hell? Wasn't that just loving grand?! How great was it when the guitar bit came in with the fuckoff huge PROSPIT sign right damned there?! gently caress.

Even with Andrew's kinda lacking animation abilities, he still manages to direct the [s] updates quite well, and his improvement is so clearly showing.

And also, once again, Infinity Mechanism. :allears:

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Paul.Power posted:

*shrug* At least it matches her purple dream-slippers.

Yeah, that is pretty odd. Troll Derse definitely has the towers, I'd guess Troll Prospit too?

I suspect the key factor here is the survival of the pre-scratch Kids, their planets and their Battlefield - which didn't happen in the Troll session, so the Trolls would still need their prototyping towers.

Yeah, we see Troll Prospit in [S] Jade: Enter and Troll Derse in [S] Wake and they have the 12 prototyping towers as would be expected. Maybe the towers aren't constructed until the first player enters. Some stuff Nannasprite said near the beginning made it sound like the Medium didn't exist until the players enter and yet it had always existed. This is the first time we've seen Prospit or Derse before any players entered.

But yeah, while watching this flash I really didn't care what was going on. I was too distracted by how cool everything looked and sounded to notice the prototyping towers weren't there.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

YggiDee posted:

The whole problem with the slightly used Battlefield they're bringing is that it had a Tumor instead of the necessary frog-incubator.

Most of the time when a Tumor is created though, it blows up the battlefield. Since that didn't happen in this case, maybe there's a way to screw with the kids' battlefield to make it capable of hosting the frog.

Also, since I am always forgetting little details like this: where was it specifically said that the towers on Derse and Prospit had to do with prototyping?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Right here: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002324

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
If it's true that Jane is the Maid of Life, then in the 2 sessions we've seen with maids, they've both died pre-entry. I'm wondering if that's a feature of the class.

Does Prospit have the alternate quest beds inside like Derse does? It's been a theme so far that all the Prospit God Tiers did it the normal way, while the Derse ones had dead waking selves and did it the alternate way.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Slime posted:

If it's true that Jane is the Maid of Life, then in the 2 sessions we've seen with maids, they've both died pre-entry. I'm wondering if that's a feature of the class.

I'm wondering if she will follow Aradia or Feferi more. Feferi's domain after all has been the afterlife, and arranging the bubbles in the furthest ring.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Thundarr posted:

Most of the time when a Tumor is created though, it blows up the battlefield. Since that didn't happen in this case, maybe there's a way to screw with the kids' battlefield to make it capable of hosting the frog.

Considering that the Tumor's purpose was to create the Green Sun, and everything we thought we knew about it came from Doc Scratch, how do we know there's ever been a Tumor before, in any session?

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Slime posted:

Does Prospit have the alternate quest beds inside like Derse does? It's been a theme so far that all the Prospit God Tiers did it the normal way, while the Derse ones had dead waking selves and did it the alternate way.

Its been kind of a thing with the kids at least that the Prospit dreamers fulfill the heroic journey and the Derse dreamers subvert it. I don't see the Alpha kids changing from this as they've already the naive/cynical split going on.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

After listening to the volume 8 soundtrack a bit, I've started wondering if all/most of the songs in Cascade were made just for it, or if it was just several 'existing' songs mixed together. Specifically I'm wondering if the music that plays in the part where Jade wakes up can be heard separate from the rest somewhere.

Also, this newest flash was thoroughly confusing and I'm quite interested in learning what is the importance of Mutini in all this.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Hempuli posted:

After listening to the volume 8 soundtrack a bit, I've started wondering if all/most of the songs in Cascade were made just for it, or if it was just several 'existing' songs mixed together. Specifically I'm wondering if the music that plays in the part where Jade wakes up can be heard separate from the rest somewhere.

The part where Jade goes god-tier is Savior of the Dreaming Dead from Volume 7, albeit modified a bit to work best in Cascade.

KoB posted:

Cascade and Flare were the only completely new songs.

Black Hole - Green Sun was a remix of Black Rose - Green Sun but I'd say it was different enough to be a new song too.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 30, 2011

KoB
May 1, 2009

Hempuli posted:

Also, this newest flash was thoroughly confusing and I'm quite interested in learning what is the importance of Mutini in all this.

Cascade and Flare were the only completely new songs.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Cascade wasn't even a new song, it was his fan music from before he even got on the team. It was also just barely changed for usage in the flash.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Oh dang, it turns out that Eidelon Orpheus, the guy who was responsible for the music in this flash, also made music for Bravemule, that one really goddamn good dwarffortress LP that started in SA. Small world.
Yep. Buy his poo poo, please! He works really, ridiculously hard and he's wonderful to collaborate with. I'm currently collaborating with him again on the next Bravemule video.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Roger Explosion posted:

:allears:

I'd like to gush about a few things too. Namely in the panel before this one, PM is literally the last living being in the troll's session, and I didn't notice this until it was given the appropriate dramatic weight with PM flying away and the curtains closing on the entire incipisphere. I also love the way Hussie made an elaborate wallpaper for Jane's room, similar to the patterns we've seen associated with Derse, and how he used really simple effects to give visual depth to her window when she's peering out. Whoever said this flash was kind of like a trailer, I would definitely agree with that: I felt like we were watching the beginning of a TV episode that forecasts what sort of cool poo poo will happen this time on Whatever.

Also, I hope Anonymous's upcoming email leak reveals all of Betty Crocker's dirty secrets, such as building massive robots to subjugglate humans.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Hempuli posted:

Hussie wrote a bit about the music for Cascade in this post on his tumblr, which should answer the things you were wondering about. (There's also a few other posts he made about other aspects of Cascade there too).

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Speaking of volume 8, I can associate most of the songs (the free ones at least) with their respective events except Ocean Stars Falling. It sounds far too relaxed for the Squiddles on its cover.

I guess it's for the [s] update where 48 Squiddles are introduced and summarily killed off...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

A thought: given it got its own curtain rig, will Act 6 Intermission 1 count towards the curtain rig count?

If so, then that might reduce the number of sub-acts and sub-intermissions before everyone meets up by quite a bit. Instead of five sub-acts plus at least two* sub-intermissions, it'd be five sub-acts and sub-intermissions total...

* probably wouldn't be Intermission 1 if it was the only one.