Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Male Man posted:

Is there a reason that's objectionable? It's not like that will effect anything game-wise if you flip on god mode in the console to freeze your meters on Hardcore mode, and it won't take much more time than it took to write your post disparaging it.

It wouldn't be objectionable except that it doesn't work consistently and even so it seems like the radio spends more time down than up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Smol posted:

My guess is he isn't a big fan of DR alone (like in FO3), as it effectively is just a hit point multiplier. But DR combined with DT can lead to some interesting mechanics.
I dislike it as the primary means of reducing damage because it scales poorly, IMO. For this mod, I decided to give relatively small amounts of DR to Medium and Heavy armors (I think the highest any armor gives is about ~35 DR). It helps mostly with the big hits. If you go buckwild with the PAs and some Med-X, I'm sure you can get some temporary Superman resilience going on.

Here's the mod, if anyone's interested: http://diogenes-lamp.info/jsawyer_fnv_mod.zip

Full change list is in a readme file in the .zip.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Anyone know if there's a mod to make the GRA ammo (pulse slugs, etcetera) compatible with Reload?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

rope kid posted:

I dislike it as the primary means of reducing damage because it scales poorly, IMO. For this mod, I decided to give relatively small amounts of DR to Medium and Heavy armors (I think the highest any armor gives is about ~35 DR). It helps mostly with the big hits. If you go buckwild with the PAs and some Med-X, I'm sure you can get some temporary Superman resilience going on.

Here's the mod, if anyone's interested: http://diogenes-lamp.info/jsawyer_fnv_mod.zip

Full change list is in a readme file in the .zip.

This is loving awesome. Thanks for doing this

ps do this for alpha protocol too

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Is there a mod that provides the latest in 19th century fashion? I want to do a playthrough as a dynamite throwing Alfred Nobel.

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

I thought this was a joke when I saw it this morning, theTactical Flamer

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

To be honest, I wish we had made some smaller high-end EWs. The Flamer is a great weapon but it weighs a ton. The Plasma Defender and Alien Blaster are the only two 1-H high-end EWs in the core game, which is unfortunate. Your other options are humongous: Plasma Caster, Tesla Cannon, and Gatling Laser. The Sonic Emitters address this somewhat.

I think a 1H or even 2HR Flamer (like that "tactical" one) with a smaller ammo capacity and a longer reload time (the Flamer's is hilariously short) would be appealing to a lot of players.

Gyshall posted:

ps do this for alpha protocol too
:pwn:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There is a flamer pistol in my current playthrough from, I believe, in Classic Fallout Weapons NV. And a few laser pistol and pulse pistol variants, in addition to a Wattz 2000 long range laser rifle (although it's a little bit bulky).

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

rope kid posted:

To be honest, I wish we had made some smaller high-end EWs. The Flamer is a great weapon but it weighs a ton. The Plasma Defender and Alien Blaster are the only two 1-H high-end EWs in the core game, which is unfortunate. Your other options are humongous: Plasma Caster, Tesla Cannon, and Gatling Laser. The Sonic Emitters address this somewhat.

I think a 1H or even 2HR Flamer (like that "tactical" one) with a smaller ammo capacity and a longer reload time (the Flamer's is hilariously short) would be appealing to a lot of players.
:pwn:

There's also Pew Pew. Sure, it's a pain in the nuts to get and only holds two shots but it's pretty drat fierce.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
So I'm coming back to this game for the 4th or 5th time now, and been away from the modding scene for some time. It looks like the solid mods are still around, but I had a couple of questions:

-Arenovalis' texture pack for the weapons apparently has texture glitches with GRA if you mod any of the weapons from it. Is there any workaround or fix for this? Does using WMX circumvent it at all?
-Can FOOK and PN coexist peacefully now? Would you recommend running both? The sprint / grenade hotkeys are necessities for me, but it looks like there are a ton of bugfixes with FOOK that make it tempting to try it out.
-Is NSkies URWLified still the go-to for weather mods, or did Project Reality ever come into it's own? Which ones seem to be the best bang for the buck in terms of stability/features/lookin' cool~?
-Same question for NMC vs. Ojo/Poco Bueno, Improved SFX vs. CLR9000, are any of these standouts over the other, or is it still just personal opinion?
-Does this NV Error Corrections and Bug Fixes mod work as advertised? Does it come recommended by anyone here?

I figured a lot of stuff would've died off after Skyrim came out, but it seems that modders are a crazy breed and are still putting out a ton of updates, which doesn't make sense to me but I will reap the benefits!

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

potaties posted:

So I'm coming back to this game for the 4th or 5th time now, and been away from the modding scene for some time. It looks like the solid mods are still around, but I had a couple of questions:

-Does this NV Error Corrections and Bug Fixes mod work as advertised? Does it come recommended by anyone here?

I figured a lot of stuff would've died off after Skyrim came out, but it seems that modders are a crazy breed and are still putting out a ton of updates, which doesn't make sense to me but I will reap the benefits!
Sorry I'm only familiar with this last one, but I'll comment and say it does fix some issues. Unfortunately it also goes further and does some things that I would not classify as fixes. The mod is split up into two files, unfortunately it's not as simple as objective, definite bug fixes in one and subjective changes in the other, it's some definite bug fixes in one, and the other definite bug fixes and subjective changes in the other. The first is called "New Vegas Error Corrections - DLC + GRA.esp" (depending on your DLC) and the second is called "New Vegas Error Corrections BugFixes - DLC + GRA.esm". The one with "BugFixes" in the title is the one with some subjective changes.

Personally, I'm generally okay with the changes they made, so I use both files, but you may want to use only the first one or neither if it's a hassle.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

potaties posted:

Skyrim doesn't have guns and once you've sunk about 100 hours into Skyrim, you've probably pretty much done it all and seen it all many times over. I'm almost skyrimmed out myself, so I'm considering another small update to The Armory to add a few more original weapons/fix up the few unfinished ones in the Cabinet of Shame.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Naky posted:

Skyrim doesn't have guns and once you've sunk about 100 hours into Skyrim, you've probably pretty much done it all and seen it all many times over. I'm almost skyrimmed out myself, so I'm considering another small update to The Armory to add a few more original weapons/fix up the few unfinished ones in the Cabinet of Shame.

Pretty much this. In the same way that FO3 and Oblivion coexisted with very active modding communities, New Vegas and Skyrim will do the same. It's difficult for me to find reasons to return to FO3 and Oblivion, but I'm perfectly content bouncing between New Vegas and Skyrim.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I'd like to think it's because New Vegas simply is a better game but judging by the ridiculous amounts that Skyrim seems to sell, Bethesda must be doing something right. Also, I don't think that Skyrim's biggest problems are something that modders even can fix, while small game mechanic tweaks take care of most of my annoyances with New Vegas.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Naky posted:

Skyrim doesn't have guns

Yet. All you have to do is port The Armory to Skyrim and voila! Piece of cake!!! :shepicide:

I do think Bethesda stepped up their game with the writing for Skyrim, and even if I don't think it's quite as good as FNV's overall, it's the fact that it's all still very fresh and new-car-smell that I figured people would put Fallout mods on the backburner for awhile. Then again, they're two entirely separate settings, and guns are objectively cooler than swords. Unless those swords are beam katanas for a kawaii little anime girl to use in which case :getin:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Smol posted:

I'd like to think it's because New Vegas simply is a better game but judging by the ridiculous amounts that Skyrim seems to sell, Bethesda must be doing something right. Also, I don't think that Skyrim's biggest problems are something that modders even can fix, while small game mechanic tweaks take care of most of my annoyances with New Vegas.

They're different enough that neither will replace the other. Oblivion has a huge modding community despite possessing the same flaws as Skyrim (like shallow dialogue) and existing at the same time as FO3 and New Vegas. Even if New Vegas were an objectively better game than Skyrim, it can't be modded enough scratch that fantasy-dungeon-crawl itch.

The only thing that will kill the New Vegas community is a superior sequel. If Bethesda shits out "Fallout 4" and it has all the depth of Fallout 3, the community will be split like it was with Morrowind and Oblivion. If Bethesda or Obsidian puts out another "New Vegas" on a superior engine, New Vegas will be good as dead. Likewise, the only thing that will kill Skyrim's modding community is a better TES VI.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 30, 2011

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It looks like I probably zipped up a two month-old .esp with my mod, so if you downloaded it earlier today, please re-download it. :sweatdrop:

http://diogenes-lamp.info/jsawyer_fnv_mod.zip

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

potaties posted:

Yet. All you have to do is port The Armory to Skyrim and voila! Piece of cake!!! :shepicide:

I do think Bethesda stepped up their game with the writing for Skyrim, and even if I don't think it's quite as good as FNV's overall, it's the fact that it's all still very fresh and new-car-smell that I figured people would put Fallout mods on the backburner for awhile. Then again, they're two entirely separate settings, and guns are objectively cooler than swords. Unless those swords are beam katanas for a kawaii little anime girl to use in which case :getin:

You joke but apparently there's a bunch of FO3/FNV data in the skyrim exe like VATS type info and stuff. And no, never happen. :) Nor will I do an armory for Skyrim. FO4, maybe.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

rope kid posted:

It looks like I probably zipped up a two month-old .esp with my mod, so if you downloaded it earlier today, please re-download it. :sweatdrop:

It is really cool that you did this, especially the power armor change.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Chronojam posted:

It is really cool that you did this, especially the power armor change.
Thanks. With the reduced Carry Weight in the mod, wearing PA with Power Armor Training (which now negates the weight of the armor) is pretty darn good.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
drat, I forgot to make a note of which mod combination got me this outfit:

And Nifskope isn't displaying textures so finding it via mesh searches/piecing it together is next to impossible :( All I remember is the jacket is from TG armors but finding a black shirt that did NOT have sleeves attached to it took me for loving ever. Anyone know why Nifskope refuses to render textures despite me pointing it to my /textures/ folder?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Naky posted:

You joke but apparently there's a bunch of FO3/FNV data in the skyrim exe like VATS type info and stuff. And no, never happen. :) Nor will I do an armory for Skyrim. FO4, maybe.
Awaiting sequel to the awesome mod "Magic in New Vegas", "VATS in Skyrim"

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

rope kid posted:

So I have this installed, along with all the required files and I have my load order all sorted out, but nothing has changed. It's as if I don't even have the mod installed. Yours, Nevada Skies, and a mod that prevents the eyebrows from disappearing when selecting a beard are the only mods I have installed.

quote:

FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
ClassicPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
NSkies - Vanilla Edition.esm
FNV-BeardEyebrowFixV1_0.esp
jsawyer.esp

Total active plugins: 13
Total plugins: 13

Any idea what may be up?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

rope kid posted:

Thanks. With the reduced Carry Weight in the mod, wearing PA with Power Armor Training (which now negates the weight of the armor) is pretty darn good.

If only the speed penalty was also gone. Was that a holdover from FO3?

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Gilg posted:

Sorry I'm only familiar with this last one, but I'll comment and say it does fix some issues. Unfortunately it also goes further and does some things that I would not classify as fixes. The mod is split up into two files, unfortunately it's not as simple as objective, definite bug fixes in one and subjective changes in the other, it's some definite bug fixes in one, and the other definite bug fixes and subjective changes in the other. The first is called "New Vegas Error Corrections - DLC + GRA.esp" (depending on your DLC) and the second is called "New Vegas Error Corrections BugFixes - DLC + GRA.esm". The one with "BugFixes" in the title is the one with some subjective changes.

Personally, I'm generally okay with the changes they made, so I use both files, but you may want to use only the first one or neither if it's a hassle.

Thanks for the info, it looks like some of the bugfix stuff might conflict with what I've already got running, so that helps out a ton :)

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Upmarket Mango posted:

So I have this installed, along with all the required files and I have my load order all sorted out, but nothing has changed. It's as if I don't even have the mod installed. Yours, Nevada Skies, and a mod that prevents the eyebrows from disappearing when selecting a beard are the only mods I have installed.

Any idea what may be up?
Open the console and enter:

coc wolfhornpoint

If you load into the area and don't see about five hostile ghouls in robes labeled "Deranged Bright Follower", then the .esp isn't actually loading for some reason/something else is screwed up.

Rinkles posted:

If only the speed penalty was also gone. Was that a holdover from FO3?
No, we implemented weight category speed penalties in F:NV. Otherwise a negligible Sneak penalty was the only real disadvantage to wearing the heaviest armor possible at all times. I brought the penalties down a bit in the mod. Heavy was -15% now it's -10%. Medium was -7.5% now it's -5%. I also reduced the speed penalties for running with 2H weapons drawn.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 30, 2011

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

Capn Beeb posted:

Anyone know why Nifskope refuses to render textures despite me pointing it to my /textures/ folder?

Oddly enough, you have to point it to the base /data/ folder instead.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

rope kid posted:

Open the console and enter:

coc wolfhornpoint

If you load into the area and don't see about five hostile ghouls in robes labeled "Deranged Bright Follower", then the .esp isn't actually loading for some reason/something else is screwed up.

I can confirm that the .esp isn't loading. I did as you said and there was nobody there (not to mention none of the armor, inventory, or any of the other obvious changes were in effect). I am using a new character too, this is a completely fresh install of the game.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I'm not sure what the problem could be. Just to double-check, I renamed my local .esp, downloaded the one from my website, and coc-ed to Wolfhorn Point once with the .esp enabled and once with it disabled. With it enabled, Deranged Bright Followers. With it disabled, nothing.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Bit of a dick post but I have no idea when the op was last updated and seeing how NV is now a steam daily deal it might be the time for an overview.

What are the go to mods at the moment? I'm looking for weather and night mods, any good (in the sense that they actually improve something) gameplay mods, non-overpowered and fun item mods and the best of the best quest and companion mods.

Help me out goons!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Oddly enough, you have to point it to the base /data/ folder instead.

Excellent, thanks :D

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Bit of a dick post but I have no idea when the op was last updated and seeing how NV is now a steam daily deal it might be the time for an overview.

What are the go to mods at the moment? I'm looking for weather and night mods, any good (in the sense that they actually improve something) gameplay mods, non-overpowered and fun item mods and the best of the best quest and companion mods.

Help me out goons!

It says updated on 29 Dec right at the top...

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Mr E posted:

It says updated on 29 Dec right at the top...

And lo and behold, I am a moron!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

rope kid posted:

No, we implemented weight category speed penalties in F:NV. Otherwise a negligible Sneak penalty was the only real disadvantage to wearing the heaviest armor possible at all times. I brought the penalties down a bit in the mod. Heavy was -15% now it's -10%. Medium was -7.5% now it's -5%. I also reduced the speed penalties for running with 2H weapons drawn.

The movement reduction is more of an annoyance than a gameplay impediment really. It does make chasing or running away a problem, but it's most conspicuous and painful when you're sluggishly trotting across the Mojave. Sectioning off the the combat from the rest of the game is contrary to the game's structural philosophy, but I'd really prefer for those penalties to only kick in during a fight. (though I'm pretty sure you'd need a new engine at that point).

VVV Cool, never new about that. I always have PN on if only for the sprint.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 31, 2011

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PN attempts this by slowing down base running speed then giving a larger bonus for having no weapon equipped.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

PN attempts this by slowing down base running speed then giving a larger bonus for having no weapon equipped.

I know the music changes with enemies nearby, but does the base game have some sort of flag that goes off when you're in a fight? There's a pretty wide spectrum between plinking from high ground and melee range.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Okay, now I've found I can't use any Match ammo with Caliber and Reload. I don't remember it being this annoying.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Right, so I downloaded and installed (I hope) a grab bag of mods that I think would be cool, but now my game crashes when starting. I've tried using nvse_loader.exe, FOMM, and Steam, but it all results in the same crash. I'm hopeless with this, so could someone have a quick look at my load order for any obvious problems.

http://pastebin.com/tZCgyCYA

Thanks in advance.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
If you have FOMM, use FNVEdit to check your load order. It will tell you if you're missing masters and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Naky posted:

If you have FOMM, use FNVEdit to check your load order. It will tell you if you're missing masters and such.
Looks like one of the Nevada Skies DLC addons is causing it. Deactivating them leads to no crashes, but everything related to Steam (achievement notifications and such) show up as solid white blocks. Any idea how to fix either problem?