Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The one thing I always resolve to do is think "What would I do for this customer if they were screaming at me?". If someone's nice, understanding, and I won't get in too much trouble, they'll probably get the discount they forgot/return processed as best I can. If they're jerks, I stick to the company line.

Most of the time, my managers back me up, offering maybe one small exception.

Rick_Hunter posted:

"So, YOU guys got some kind of frequent customer discount????"

That reminded me of the group that decided to haggle (in an Old Navy, :wtc:) over every single item they were trying to purchase, to the point that they kept us two hours late on a Sunday, then asked "Since we're buying so much, can we get a bulk discount?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmantium
Jan 15, 2011

I WAS READY TO EMBRACE A MAN
Coupons. loving coupons. If people aren't asking us if we have any behind the counter for them to use they're complaining because of the exceptions.

You can't use coupons on video games, hardware, or anything Apple in our store. No one ever turns the coupon around to read the paragraph of exclusions on the other side. It's those, baby stuff (tons of brands), and service fees.

"Well what else would I come here for?!?!"

We're a toy store. The other 13/15ths of the store inventory is toys. If you buy toys at this toy store, you can use that coupon. On toys. Toys is in our loving name.

I don't get it. I would think natural curiosity would go "Hey what's on the other side?" and you would notice all of the words.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
Half of the T&Cs for the vouchers at the place I work aren't even in the small print, just a "for terms and conditions visit: [website]" notice. This is bullshit because the majority of the exclusions are on the voucher, but not all. Kinda dumb.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
Any place I've ever worked the expiry dates have been a large part of the front of a coupon and I'd still get people months after an expiry date having a melt down because we wouldnt take a coupon. We were also one of the places that steadfastedly refused to take any expired coupons.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I vividly recall Virgin Megastores putting a coupon in the national press advertising a free copy of "Big" on DVD from any of their branded stores. This apparently included something called a Virgin Game store, and they chose to word the coupon thusly:

"Redeemable at any Virgin Megastore, Game store, <blah>..."

This led to a Sunday morning influx of people into the branch of GAME (unaffiliated with Virgin) demanding their copy of Tom Hanks doing a dance on a giant floor piano. We did not stock this film on DVD at all, and even if we had I wasnt going to start giving out free DVDs just to get some peace.

Now, who do you think was responsible for this screwup? You might be thinking that it was the people who had issued the coupon and worded it in such a way that people went to a different company's store. Apparently though, it wasn't their fault - no, according to many of the "customers" that came in that day, it was entirely my fault as the deputy manager in charge that day. Literally hundreds of people came in with that sodding coupon, and while many were actually quite reasonable about it, the vast majority were entitled arseholes who made my day hell.

In short, gently caress coupons and gently caress marketing people.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
At my retail store, it really isn't too bad on most days! A majority of the people I deal with on a day-to-day basis are nice and understanding, but man; it certainly makes the shits stick out like a sore thumb.

We got this guy in on christmas eve with his probably 12-13 year old son. He wants some accounting poo poo for his business he is going to start up in January. The store is pretty much dead cause it's christmas eve and people got better poo poo to do that go to an office supply store. The customer guy is just kind of.. huffy for no reason. Anyway, he's dragging his kid to the back of the store and walks past the print center and his kid is saying something about how "cars aren't hard to sell," not even being a twat just seemingly making conversation. The dude snaps back at the kid, "well if you don't work your rear end off I'll fire you I don't care if you're my son."

Now I'm working on an order so I wasn't watching this all happen, but the tone of voices from them didn't sound serious, almost casual. I think, "oh it's like a joke, like, no one actually talks to their kids like that.. in front of five store associates. I mean the guy would have to be scum or something..." So I gaze up to crack a smile at the guys sarcasm, and just before I do I realize he's dead loving serious. I thankfully realized that before almost scoffing at the dude, I'm sure he would've popped a blood vessel.

It really shouldn't have surprised me.

Another story from today:

Lady comes in with a book, tells me she wants some pages scanned and emailed to her and asks if we can do it. I'm tell her "Yeah sure, I just gotta check the copyright"
"Oh I'm sure it's okay, its just for personal use."
"I'm sure it is okay, I just am required to check."

Pop it open to the third page, big bold letters "No portion of this work blah blah", I was impressed it even went on to say that it can't be transmitted via electronic means either! I tell her this and just reading it real quick and she cuts me off, rips the book out of my hands, and leaves all huffy. If she hadn't run off so quickly I was gonna tell her she could use our self-serves -- I mean, we're not 'supposed' to let people do that but whatever. Fine lady, poo poo. I hate copying books anyway, I'm always glad when I get to use the copyright-get-out-of-work free card.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I'm very lucky our store doesn't do coupons. We have knitting guild discounts and student discounts but we don't advertise them.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
After begging for more hours yesterday and taking some shifts to get my hours above 30 this week, I woke up this morning with a very high fever and had to call out on my longest shift of the week. :( this is what happens when other people come into work sick when they shouldn't.
One of the baggers is mentally handicapped (no, not just saying to me mean. He really is, is there a better way to say it) and has been sick since like November. When he coughs or sneezes, he doesn't cover his mouth. I can literally watch little splittle particles littered with germs fly through the air. Then he touches on customers groceries and everything. He got at least 3 other people sick and they refused to stay home, even with high fevers, and managed to get pretty much every other cashier and bagger sick. I'd managed to avoid it for the most part but it was just a matter of time. Ugh..

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

silversiren posted:

After begging for more hours yesterday and taking some shifts to get my hours above 30 this week, I woke up this morning with a very high fever and had to call out on my longest shift of the week. :( this is what happens when other people come into work sick when they shouldn't.
One of the baggers is mentally handicapped (no, not just saying to me mean. He really is, is there a better way to say it) and has been sick since like November. When he coughs or sneezes, he doesn't cover his mouth. I can literally watch little splittle particles littered with germs fly through the air. Then he touches on customers groceries and everything. He got at least 3 other people sick and they refused to stay home, even with high fevers, and managed to get pretty much every other cashier and bagger sick. I'd managed to avoid it for the most part but it was just a matter of time. Ugh..

This angers me in any environment. In the week before I left my office for Christmas there was a guy two rows down with some sort of throat/lung thing just hacking and coughing away all drat day, 8 hours a day for an entire week. You're sat there just waiting for it to circulate around the air conditioning and get you, wishing the selfish person would go home - especially as it's the UK so we have generous sick leave provisions. Surprise surprise I've now got it, although it didn't start until boxing day thankfully. And I'm staying off work.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Nocheez posted:

When I worked in a call center, I put in 60-80 hour weeks in for 6 straight months.

Jesus Christ, call centers are the loving WORST. Working in a big-box retail store is loving Shangri-La compared to that Hell. I'd have blown my brains out after a week.

You, sir or madam, are certainly a stronger person than I.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Edmantium posted:

Coupons. loving coupons. If people aren't asking us if we have any behind the counter for them to use they're complaining because of the exceptions.

You can't use coupons on video games, hardware, or anything Apple in our store. No one ever turns the coupon around to read the paragraph of exclusions on the other side. It's those, baby stuff (tons of brands), and service fees.

"Well what else would I come here for?!?!"

We're a toy store. The other 13/15ths of the store inventory is toys. If you buy toys at this toy store, you can use that coupon. On toys. Toys is in our loving name.

I don't get it. I would think natural curiosity would go "Hey what's on the other side?" and you would notice all of the words.

You wouldn't believe how many coupons I've had to reject lately because people tried to use them before or after the valid dates. They were store coupons mailed to our store card holders, with VALID DECEMBER 1-9 printed on the very bottom in red lettering, in print larger than normal fine print. No reason AT ALL to miss it.

Sorry, not my fault you can't loving read.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

rolleyes posted:

This angers me in any environment.
It's management's fault. "Don't come to your work if you're sick", they say, while simultaneously starting disciplinary procedures if you're off for more than x amount of days in a rolling 12 month period (where x can be counted on the fingers of one hand).

They create a culture where you're scared to get ill, and then have the audacity to say that staff welfare is important to them.

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away

Semprini posted:

It's management's fault. "Don't come to your work if you're sick", they say, while simultaneously starting disciplinary procedures if you're off for more than x amount of days in a rolling 12 month period (where x can be counted on the fingers of one hand).

They create a culture where you're scared to get ill, and then have the audacity to say that staff welfare is important to them.

This is why I just don't give a gently caress anymore. I was happy when I got sick, it meant a short escape. If they want to fire me for getting sick, I'll deal with it.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Semprini posted:

Yeah I feel for you guys in the US, you're effectively forced to go in regardless. Over here there's not really a good excuse for doing that though (even part time staff have reasonable statutory sick leave and being fired for using it would be unfair dismissal) so it winds me up that I'm now sat at home feeling like death because some dipshit wanted to 'be a team player' or whatever the hell.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

rolleyes posted:

Yeah I feel for you guys in the US, you're effectively forced to go in regardless. Over here there's not really a good excuse for doing that though (even part time staff have reasonable statutory sick leave and being fired for using it would be unfair dismissal) so it winds me up that I'm now sat at home feeling like death because some dipshit wanted to 'be a team player' or whatever the hell.

More than that, it's borderline impossible to dismiss someone for poor attendance in the UK. HR departments don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole.

threat level tesco
Jul 2, 2007

rolleyes posted:

I'm in the UK, but since I'm classed as a 'casual worker' (0 hour contract) and usually just work weekends I'm not entitled to sick pay. I've worked a 14 hour shift whilst running to the bathroom every few hours to puke because my manager refused to send me home. The kicker being I work in food service and was waitressing at a wedding. But hey, at least he was kind enough to give me the next day off! :suicide:

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

rolleyes posted:

Yeah I feel for you guys in the US
Oh no, I'm in the UK. The sick pay isn't the issue, it's the aforementioned points at which management put you on review.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
I work in food service and it's not the fact that I get sick every once in a while that makes it worse or the fact that people come into work sick. It's when people who are sick don't call until the last loving minute to say that they're sick. Your thought process shouldn't be, "I'll wait until the last minute, and if I don't feel well, I'll just call in sick, THAT SHOULD FIX IT." :iamafag:
It should be, "Do I feel bad and do I think I'm going to get worse? If so, call to get someone to cover my shift."
If you're desperate enough to wait til the last minute, you should probably go to work regardless of how you feel. The 'flu' or any seriously communicable disease is one thing, a cold is another. If I have to go to work, I show up with meds, cough drops, and I wash my hands whenever I can.

I guess this has become my pet peeve because I'm seriously tired of no-call, no-shows and people calling in 30 minutes before their shift starts. I hate having to work my rear end off because someone decided they didn't want to that day.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Once upon a time, when i worked in a cafe in a popular supermarket, I found out part way into my shift that due to some kind of screw up and a few people calling in sick, I was to be left alone from about 3pm onwards (bear in mind, we close the cafe at 8pm and we clean up and shutdown until 9pm when backshift typically ends) so I was to be all on my lonesome till then. I got offered no help because there wasn't enough people on elsewhere to come in and assist and I was in the process of developing a bad bout of flu. I wasn't even given the proverbial tossed bone of being able to say "sorry we've had an electrical fault no cooked food etc." so that while I wouldn't need to cook, people could still get hot drinks and get food and caks from the chills and display areas. So that mewant I had to keep cleaning up and serving, cook food and wash dishes and generally try to keep the customers happy while keeping the kitchen from becoming a loving distaster.

Anyways, 3pm comes and suddenyl I'm on my own. I go out and there are still loads of customers and the tables haven't been cleared. It is literally as if all my co-workers just evaporated into thin air when the clock struck.

So I do my best, gradually getting further and further behind, getting iller and iller. I called for help but got the same response and I was told I wasn't allowed to stop cooking until at least 6:30pm.

By the end of the night, I was miserable, was running a temperature and I was point-blank telling custoemrs I couldn't cook food because I was on myself and I didn't have the time to cook meals (I know this is the pits of customer service but buy this point I didn't loving care anymore).

I stayed half-an-hour longer than my scheduled hours to try and clean up when I saw my mum in the shop getting some shopping, apparently she'd decided to be nice and come pick me up and when I didn'ty show she decided to grab some shopping while waiting. So when I saw her, I took off my apron, left the place in a state (I didn't even empty or clean the hot food cabinet where we keep food like beans, bacon, sausages etc warm until serving) and walked out. I was off ill for the next week from the flu and when I came back I was told I was now a legend for havcing the worst backshift ever.

My supervisor and his mate were both funny guys and pretty nice and after I explained they were cool with it and it became the source of some really funny jokes, but it taught me just how out-of-touch and uncaring management could be.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I hate being sick, because my responsibilities in US culture demand that I make others completely miserable. Either I call in, lose out on what meager hours I'm getting, and piss everybody in every department off, or I come in sick, work poorly and risk losing out on what meager hours I'm getting next week, and make everybody sick thus pissing everybody in every department off.

And that's American culture. You are expected to magically just defy nature, physics, and God, and neither take ill nor ever spread it. I think it's just another string corporate puppeteers get to laugh about while pulling on these days.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Holy balls I wish management would just once try their retarded methods of getting poo poo done before bitching that my far more efficient way is too slow.

Fucker.

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
We can't lose weight with you if you don't update your log!
   /
:backtowork:
Whelp, I've been in some sort of retail nearly all of my working life, and something exciting has happened that has never happened before.

Last night one of my friends from work told me that the seasonal cart attendant said that he wanted to "follow me home and beat my rear end". He left work 4 hours early one night (almost 2 weeks ago), which I was a bit upset over, and that REALLY pissed him off apparently, because he told my friend this 3 days ago.

This cart attendant is probably about to be let go due to being seasonal. I just hope they handle it in a way where he doesn't think it was due to anything I did. I really REALLY need to get out of this place...

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

^ We just lost all of our Christmas temps bar two more who are staying on until the new year. I learned today that two of our nineteen temps will be given permanent contracts in the new year. Did management keep on the guy who's still with us until the new year, has been great with customers, is loved by all the staff, and actually sells a huge amount of products? Nope. They kept on a nervous wreck who doesn't understand any of the products, our own systems, and constantly asks for help. The other guy they're keeping on isn't so bad, but there are certainly one or two temps who are more deserving of the position.

Fil5000 posted:

In short, gently caress coupons and gently caress marketing people.

Recently we had a promotion just before Christmas for one weekend only. Spend over £200 and get two £10 gift vouchers. Now normally to sell gift vouchers I just hit the, "Gift Voucher" button on the till, enter how much the customer would like to purchase and then charge them, open the voucher drawer and hand them over.

Not for the Christmas vouchers. These were special, re-branded vouchers. Essentially the same drat thing but with a tree scribbled on them. Do I put them through the till the same way? Absolutely not, it'll throw the figures out! We had to go through a series of thirteen very long winded steps just to sell the vouchers. Then we had the joy of people redeeming the vouchers throughout the following two weeks. Do we hit, "Gift Voucher > Amount" on the till? No that'd be silly, go through these fifteen simple steps to charge the special Christmas tree vouchers!

Its of no surprise my customers wondered why I was faffing about on the till for so long just to put their gift vouchers through.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 30, 2011

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Square posted:

Did management keep on the guy who's still with us until the new year, has been great with customers, is loved by all the staff, and actually sells a huge amount of products? Nope. They kept on a nervous wreck who doesn't understand any of the products, our own systems, and constantly asks for help.

That's smart, they'll be able to take advantage of that worker a lot more, and the worker will learn eventually. Plus they don't have to defend their jobs from super sales guy.

Linear Ouroboros
Mar 30, 2007
Sweet loving Ginger!
I have two customers who are fluent in Cherokee. They only figured it out because one of them, this awesome little stoner who lives traveling around the area on his bike, happened to be there on one of my employees birthdays, and he sang her a little song. The other customer walked up behind him, said something and next you know they are chit chatting.

They are most regulars, and havebumped into each other a handful of times and stood around shooting the poo poo for a while. They're both awesome laid back guys who have each taught one of my employees a few phrases of Cherokee (she is a quarter) and tell awesome stories over a cup of coffee. But they both look real rough-- if I didn't know them, I would freak out if I saw them in a dark alley.

So yesterday, they both end up in the store and they are talking and leaning against one of the tables. Another customer, the type who is an "artist" because she doesn't want to call herself a stay at home mom, is walking around the store with her husband. The whole time they are shooting dirty looks at my two regulars, who are just ignoring them.

So they get up to the register and the husband apparently decided I was a good person to vent to.
"That pisses me off! I wouldn't let that in my store!". He gestures towards my regulars. I am confused and they are both now looking.
"Immigrants! You came to AMERICA. Learn to speak English!"
There was about a two second pause before my regulars literally doubled over laughing along with one of my employees.
The resulting fall out though? Totally worth it.

wildkatt
Dec 30, 2011

by Ozmaugh
I worked at Walmart for 3 years, dear lord I will never work box store retail again. What finally set me off was working the register and a woman comes up to cash out. This is the the end of January, so the Clearance from Christmas was still in full effect and hosed up as ever. She brings two carts, one full of clearance items, one of groceries and begins to check out.

Every clearance item was the "wrong" price. When she began yelling at me about it, I calmly explained that is next to impossible to keep the area organized because customers constantly pick through it and never set things down close to where they picked it up at. More yelling how I didn't care about my job and the customer is always right and other assorted bullshit.

We get to the grocery part of her order and that goes quickly. Then she hands me the coupons... Around 75 of them. Of those 75, 15 were valid. (Walmarts scanning system is about 75% accurate, so each coupon that pops up bad I have to check the item.) This enrages her even more. By the end of the order she is slamming her bags into her cart screaming that if anything is broken it is my fault and how I'm the worst human being in existence. When moving the carts she even manages to run over items that she had thrown on the floor in her rage.

Dear lord I was pissed by the end of the day.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Linear Ouroboros posted:

So they get up to the register and the husband apparently decided I was a good person to vent to.
"That pisses me off! I wouldn't let that in my store!". He gestures towards my regulars. I am confused and they are both now looking.
"Immigrants! You came to AMERICA. Learn to speak English!"
There was about a two second pause before my regulars literally doubled over laughing along with one of my employees.

You'll have to be a little more specific. I'm sure you all were having a good laugh, but what did this 'customer' think of it? I hope he got huffy and left the store in a 'defiant' 'rage'.

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
We can't lose weight with you if you don't update your log!
   /
:backtowork:

watchdog posted:

Whelp, I've been in some sort of retail nearly all of my working life, and something exciting has happened that has never happened before.

Last night one of my friends from work told me that the seasonal cart attendant said that he wanted to "follow me home and beat my rear end". He left work 4 hours early one night (almost 2 weeks ago), which I was a bit upset over, and that REALLY pissed him off apparently, because he told my friend this 3 days ago.

This cart attendant is probably about to be let go due to being seasonal. I just hope they handle it in a way where he doesn't think it was due to anything I did. I really REALLY need to get out of this place...

Update to this:

Contacted my store team lead about this situation. Asked her to let leadership know of the situation.

She wants to bring in the cart attendant and tell him that workplace threats are not tolerated...and THEN tell him he is going to be termed at the beginning of the year.

Yeah I won't feel any repercussions from that! She assured me that she would tell him that the two are not connected in any way, but hell, would YOU believe it if you were in his situation?

Oh and I am scheduled to close along with the offending cart attendant!

I asked her to reconsider and she is meeting with the other leadership to come to a decision. She is going to call back, but if I can't talk her out of it I will not be going in tonight...

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Just got my 3 year anniversary card from Target (about a month early but who cares). It says Congratulations from all of us! And there are like 5 signatures on it, one of which is a scribble. A large 4x6 portion of the card where the signatures are supposed to go is only adorned with two names. Much like my soul, the thanks from Target is left empty.

Yes, I understand its a formality and nobody really gives a poo poo about it. But I find the image amusing.

In other retail news, my store management decided Monday that it would be a good idea to just take everyone away from Price Change (marking down the ton of clearance pulled out of the back and on the floor). So we were eternally behind until we kinda caught up today. Kind of because we have 79 item numbers (DPCIs) missing that we scoured the backroom for and have NO idea where they went. Mostly stuff that would have been pulled Monday. Oh and I apparently got a round of applause for just plain doing my job yesterday by moving the newly marked 50% clearance to the 50% rack in Mens. I didn't know about it because I decided to skip the useless huddle and instead focus on getting my job done. They either are really impressed, really think I'm going to quit, or really think I'm about to go on a shooting spree or something.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 30, 2011

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Fury1671 posted:

Just got my 3 year anniversary card from Target (about a month early but who cares). It says Congratulations from all of us! And there are like 5 signatures on it, one of which is a scribble. A large 4x6 portion of the card where the signatures are supposed to go is only adorned with two names. Much like my soul, the thanks from Target is left empty.

My 5-year acknowledgement was stuffed into my mailbox at home. I opened it, and the heavy paper-stock of my certificate was completely hosed from being jammed into the mailbox. It did come with a cheap brown pin, showing our company logo and a "5" on it.

I have no idea where they expect you to put that pin. I've never seen one worn before by any of my coworkers.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
Got my schedule for the coming week today. This week I've got the closing shift New Year's Eve, now I find I've got the opening shift for New Year's Day. Tempted to just not come in that day...or any other day after that...

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Pornographic Memory posted:

Got my schedule for the coming week today. This week I've got the closing shift New Year's Eve, now I find I've got the opening shift for New Year's Day. Tempted to just not come in that day...or any other day after that...

Don't quit a day late.

Do everybody a favor and call your boss as soon as you read this post. or go in and rob the place blind!

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

I feel for you. That's the one (and probably only) good thing about my retail job. My department manager does the scheduling and he's chill as gently caress about it. He always asks what days I need off the following week ahead of time, lets me review the schedule before it gets officially posted, doesn't mind if I'm going to be a little late as long as I call, etc.

Believe me, I know how lucky I am in that regard. Yeah, I have to work the closing shift on New Year's Eve. Fine. I'm the new guy, relatively speaking. But I don't have to be in until 2 the next day, so I really don't mind.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

When I came home and worked at an old job over winter break during college, I had a similar schedule. The second part to that story is I had requested both the 31st and the 1st off, because it's college and I planned to get really drunk at a friend's house out-of-town.

The best part was, those were my last two shifts and I wasn't planning to come back to that (terrible) job ever again. My exact words were "it would be to your benefit to find someone else to work those shifts, because like I told you, I won't be here." Man, it felt good.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm thrilled to have finally reached the end of this thread so that I can now post.

I work in a supermarket in Australia (checkout operator/supervisor), and I've been horrified hearing how retail workers in the US are treated, both by customers and their own management.

It fascinates me that there seems to be a cultural difference that causes american shoppers to be inherently ruder towards retail staff: we get a few americans in my store, both tourists and people who have moved over here, and I can honestly say that american customers in australia form almost a stereotype: they always seem to be the most incredibly polite people that pass through my checkout (with one exception).

I have only ever had one american ever cause a scene at my checkout, and in that case the situation was kind of understandable. Almost all retail stores in Australia have a policy of mandatory bag searches - if you choose to bring a bag into the store, you are required to allow a member of staff to search it before you leave. this woman objected strenuously to me searching her handbag, and since I'm told this doesn't really happen in the US, I can understand it.

True problem customers (as opposed to people who do annoying things, like being stupid) are few and far between here, so on the rare occasions when someone has a hissy fit I treat it as free entertainment. my supermarket is across the road from the largest public hospital in the state, and so we get our fair share of crazy mental patients.

I'm curious to hear from any american retail workers who have had the opportunity to work in Australian retail, or Australians who have done retail work in the US...I imagine the culture shock would be substantial.

also: we don't really have coupons here (fast food places and cafes often do, but not supermarkets). coupons sound like they would drive me to shoot myself.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Nocheez posted:

My 5-year acknowledgement was stuffed into my mailbox at home. I opened it, and the heavy paper-stock of my certificate was completely hosed from being jammed into the mailbox. It did come with a cheap brown pin, showing our company logo and a "5" on it.

I have no idea where they expect you to put that pin. I've never seen one worn before by any of my coworkers.

The older nametags had a hole in the middle of the bullseye, but they phased those out over 4 years ago.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

we don't really have coupons here (fast food places and cafes often do, but not supermarkets). coupons sound like they would drive me to shoot myself.

Wow, no coupons? See if you can find any episodes of the TLC show 'Extreme Couponing'. I feel bad for anyone who has had these people through their line.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

The Lord Bude posted:

It fascinates me that there seems to be a cultural difference that causes american shoppers to be inherently ruder towards retail staff: we get a few americans in my store, both tourists and people who have moved over here, and I can honestly say that american customers in australia form almost a stereotype: they always seem to be the most incredibly polite people that pass through my checkout (with one exception).
The really backwards Americans rarely leave their county, let alone the country.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Linear Ouroboros posted:

I MUST know what happened next. MUST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

spite house posted:

I MUST know what happened next. MUST.

Ditto; Don't quit on us now! :munch: