Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

holy poo poo your entire post history in this thread is crying about hacks

Some people think everytime they lose its because of hacks but at the same time it seems really easy to get away with some bullshit in this game. I've seen people try to shoot through a wall when they couldn't possibly have known i was behind it and when ambushed from directly above in shadows instantly crouch while pulling a 180 and lock on to me without firing a stray shot. The game is fantastic when its competitive and people are thinking but its not like you don't run into bullshit that infrequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Be happy I'm not vocal about the sad amount of ghosters that two out of three enemy clan encounters seem to use on the Russian and Eastern-European filled server I'm on because holy jumping jesus it's like it's a secret moneymaking mode for the Crim as popular as that activity is.

I think a lot of the "wtf instagib" and invulnerable enemy issues can be explained by latency, lagspikes and packet loss. Had some network hiccups over the past few days and many encounters of my Shaw popping untouched healthy enemies in what felt like the first few bullets, and just as many moments of filling people up with bullets and blood splats and nothing happening at all (from close range to long range).

I hope to get the "Side-arm starts shooting bullets the strength of your primary weapon" bug again.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Holy poo poo I just noticed this post is by EverFlow.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

less than three posted:

Holy poo poo I just noticed this post is by EverFlow.

"Group: San Paro City Testers"

I now think I jinxed it when I said K2 would probably listen and act after reading that thread.

"I do not play LTL, haven't touched it yet, so no advantage for me there.

I do not ram raid or witness or mug, or steal/find cars, so that evens out

I only do missions, and the x1.8 mod is just better with enforcer compared to the x1.5"

So make it a no-faction game, yaaay :v:

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Anyhow its not like the hackers always win. Earlier me and some pubbies were playing this other bunch of randoms. Anyway they had a sniper im fairly certain was using an aimbot. We managed to shut him down through supressing fire and having someone flank but the thing was I never saw him miss a shot. After the match I asked my team had anyone seen him miss a shot and they hadn't either. Maybe he was just an extraordinary shot even at close range after just having taken a shot but he never communicated with his team so he lost.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I know this is totally going to fail, but I'd be down for setting up a goon criminal gang if there is any interest.

is there?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Goofballs posted:

Anyhow its not like the hackers always win. Earlier me and some pubbies were playing this other bunch of randoms. Anyway they had a sniper im fairly certain was using an aimbot. We managed to shut him down through supressing fire and having someone flank but the thing was I never saw him miss a shot. After the match I asked my team had anyone seen him miss a shot and they hadn't either. Maybe he was just an extraordinary shot even at close range after just having taken a shot but he never communicated with his team so he lost.

With a HVR you've got pixel perfect accuracy if you stay still, the time shrink the crosshairs to a pixel perfect shot gets vastly decreased with a Hunting Scope 3 slotted, but if the guy was jumping around and landing perfect shots while moving and never missing, that's most likely a bot.

The snipers can also shoot beyond visual range, a range that gets increased with Rifling iirc, seeing the crosshairs light up red is enough to know it's time to shoot, and with practice you figure out the hitboxes so that you can fire with white crosshairs and hit your target. Takes some more practice to get perfectly smooth snapshots done on fleeing enemies - if you're up against a sniper, don't bother jumping, zigzag in a diagonal away from your target, and remember that some people use model replacements that remove graphical detail that bullets go through, like vehicle undercarriages, bushes and tree tops. Try hiding behind a wheel if you have to.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

With a HVR you've got pixel perfect accuracy if you stay still, the time shrink the crosshairs to a pixel perfect shot gets vastly decreased with a Hunting Scope 3 slotted, but if the guy was jumping around and landing perfect shots while moving and never missing, that's most likely a bot.

Sometimes he was crouched but a lot of the time he was strafing while scoped. Even when crouched though a normal person might miss 1 shot and he wasn't using a silenced rifle so it wasn't like we just didnt hear him. Yeah and I know to zig zag. The hitbox being bigger than the models has led to some amusing kills with people crouched behind what they thought was sufficent cover.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
Characters move so slowly in this game compared to other games I'm actually astounded when they actually miss me for the kill shot. Seriously sniping is really easy with very little practice. Aimbotters don't even bother with the HVR for the most part since rifles/semis have a better TTK at max range than an HVR even when you aren't aimbotting.

Odds are you were just fighting someone competent.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
So after hearing so much about LTL weapons, I can't wait to try them out. Do they generally stun crims faster than guns kill them, or do most people just use them to really piss people off?

Also, if I could get an invite to Something Lawful on Joker, that would be fine. In-game name is the same as my username.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Vinigre posted:

So after hearing so much about LTL weapons, I can't wait to try them out. Do they generally stun crims faster than guns kill them, or do most people just use them to really piss people off?

Also, if I could get an invite to Something Lawful on Joker, that would be fine. In-game name is the same as my username.

In terms of killing speed LTL is just inferior to similar gun counterparts. In terms of having to put yourself in potentially crappy situations in order to finish the arrest they are vastly inferior to regular guns. The payoff is the grief factor.

To get an invite you'll want to be proactive and whisper the officers listed in the OP. Not sure how many of them troll the thread and add new recruits to their friends list to add.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I had one successful LTL mission (five arrests, no deaths, they lost) and that was against two trainees who ended up calling me a hacker. They engaged me in close combat with STARs and grenades, it took at least one full clip of Stabba to get one down, and you can find these people on the forums and in various districts calling LTL overpowered.

(in the face of Obeya, Joker, and everything else)

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Secret Sweater posted:

Odds are you were just fighting someone competent.

Nope. You can tell the difference. I've played against plenty of competent people and some who were even very good. He didn't fire a shot that missed. Humans miss the occasional shot over a fast moving game. He even hit shots on people we know he didn't see coming because we had him focused elsewhere.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
Well if he's scoped at an area and is snapping to someone flanking that's something else. But not missing doesn't really cut it in my book, because as I said there are certainly better snipers than me and as it stands I hardly ever miss when sniping. This game is slow paced compared to other shooters.

keeb
Sep 24, 2003
The Shocker
What is a good recommendation for a short range side arm to use with an ntec or hvr? I've been using the Obeya pistol and it seems kind of mediocre, but then again I'm bad at this game.

Also is there any way to remove the contact markers from my in game interface? It's really distracting having on 5+ screen contact blips + team blips + objective blips all at once in a fast paced mission.

keeb fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 30, 2011

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

keeb posted:

What is a good recommendation for a short range side arm to use with an ntec or hvr? I've been using the Obeya pistol and it seems kind of mediocre, but then again I'm bad at this game.

Also is there any way to remove the contact markers from my in game interface? It's really distracting having 4 or 5 blips + team blips + objective blips all at once in a fast paced mission.

Single-click a contact on the map to remove the contact markers, they will get in the way.

The Obeya FBW is best used firing wildly in close combat while moving around and jumping around your target, if possible, but kinda requires reaction times, good latency and a steady and high framerate. Colby RSA and ACT44 are pretty much replacement sniper rifles with sick range, the Joker burst pistol might be something for you if the Obeya FBW is giving you a hard time though.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
For a short range secondary you want either the FBW or the PDW.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
If you're accurate, I find the joker pistol to be the best sidearm for close-mid range and is able to put out -some- damage at long range. It does take practice, though. The FBW as suggested above seems to be the most forgiving of the guns and is good at mid range as well.

Secret Sweater fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 30, 2011

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~

wretched_gavek posted:

I know this is totally going to fail, but I'd be down for setting up a goon criminal gang if there is any interest.

is there?

You have my sword.

Gasoline posted:

For a short range secondary you want ... the PDW.

This is always the correct answer.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I love the Joker pistol and never use anything but it. I got a perma one a while back. If you're super lame and stupid like me you can tape a little dot on your screen making aiming while moving much easier. My aim and twitch skills suck, so every little bit helps...

Those wanting to try LTL, run solo doing it. Makes it much easier with less numbers.
Good aiming folks can use a shotgun or smg with a pig as secondary and do some cool stuff.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
frags + pig is also a classic.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Re: Goon Crim Gang

Check the OP, dudes. Unless you're setting it up on the non-Joker US Server.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

UnsubRedun posted:

Re: Goon Crim Gang

Check the OP, dudes. Unless you're setting it up on the non-Joker US Server.

I'm in the Joker Crim gang and can invite.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Is there some trick to getting decent volume input into the in-game VOIP? It used to be perfectly fine before K2 took over.

Captain Swing posted:

Hey, remember how earlier this morning, we faced Ztyx for a few missions, and I lost my poo poo over Mumble over how he was just sitting still and just eating my bullets?

:v:

(times are wrong, I wasn't logged onto the forum at the time, but they correspond to when I showed him the error of his ways. Maybe the tutorial should teach people there's a jump button..)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 30, 2011

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

MrLonghair posted:

Is there some trick to getting decent volume input into the in-game VOIP? It used to be perfectly fine before K2 took over.

If you're on windows 7, check your sound volume mixer (right click on the task bar speaker icon). There's a separate volume level for the voip stuff. Mine was way quiet and I had to turn that up. That's all I know about that.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
All this talk of HVRs made me want to pick one up for the first time in about a month and a half.

Video time! :hellyeah:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg1SQHVeZcQ&feature=youtu.be

(hvr on probably the worst possible area to hvr)

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

QQmore posted:

I'm in the Joker Crim gang and can invite.

I was under the impression that It was totally dead, I'd like an invite then. In game name is Gavek.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

I recently won 500 G1 credits in a competition... Thinking of trying out a 30 day armas weapon. What one do you think I should go for? I'm thinking of the HVR scout. I used the whisper before, but now I have a 2-slot OCA which I much prefer, and I used a CSG and scoped n-tec via promotions. So I guess that leaves the scout or the special STAR... Might try the CSG PR1 though, because the PR2 was the promotional one, and I couldn't stand the reload times...

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.
My name is Captain Swing. Pay strict attention to what I say because I choose my words carefully and I never repeat myself. I've told you my name: that's the Who. The Where could most readily be described as a Waterfront district on Patriot. The What is easy: recently I shot a lot of people and stuff happened. That's also the When. As for the Why: beyond the obvious entertainment, it's exceedingly simple… because I can. Which leaves us only with the How; and therein, as the Bard would tell us, lies the rub.

It starts just like any other mission. I'm driving my Pioneer because I figured I might as well use it from time to time. Somewhere else Filzee (WildZeo) and Player (MrLonghair) are bumping around in their Vaqueros. We get a dispatch against two greens and two silvers. We roll up to the point - everyone in a different car, that always ends well. Crims are already swarming all over the place. Three of them on the point, one on a highway above it. I do the smart thing - ram my Pioneer into his car. He manages to avoid me, so I drive a little bit farther, get out and shoot him with my HVR. He drops dead and he also drops something else…

Really? One kill on a highway is all it takes? Anyway, in the meantime they manage to grab the objective and we're on the last stage. Zeo and Longhair clean up the rest and we're halfway through the mission completion bar. And then we lose.

"Wait a minute" you might say. "How did you guys lose a takeouts mission with your enemies having zero kills". :ssh:Magic. Boatload of magic.

So this is how it ends, right? We kick their asses, lose the mission and everyone lives happily ever after. Clearly if we were hacking, we'd be trying to win.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue_IRWgpojw&t=25s
This time we're the ones on a mission and crims are after us. THE SAME CRIMS. And that's when the fun starts.

Ouch, that hurts my feelings. "bad aimbotters man" and "pistoling people so easy, its a joke" refers to me. Apparently you need an aimbot to strafe around a guy and kill him with an FBW. By the way, "loving gay death theme" is my own composition. I'm thinking about renaming it to that.

Last stage - checkpoint hold. We go to the point, killing them along the way, but two of them are already on it and they grabbed it. We clear the place, Zeo and I get on the roof and shoot people coming towards us. Longhair (mentioned in the chatlogs as Player) is somewhere around, employing advanced field maneuvers like "flanking", "shooting people in the face" and "using cover". We do all of that and we don't even grab the point. This is the chat log during that last stage and everything after it.

It doesn't matter that I missed a lot of times, it doesn't matter that we weren't trying to win. To our enemies I was just a "dick up the bum oval office" - whatever that means.
Also, "Kill Bill"? What does he mean…

Riiight. Some people only saw Kill Bill :smug:

tl;dr: A tale of crim butts that get hurt.

Captain Swing fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 2, 2012

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Road = Empty
Position = Quite visible, if they had swung the camera some 45 degrees
Enemy path = Over the road in the wide open
Weapon of choice = HVR

Still not sure if Endol was serious.
Still disappointed I was unable to find him when I later hit P5 and came a few pixels away from what would be Prestige 6.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Captain Swing posted:

My name is Captain Swing. Pay strict attention to what I say because I choose my words carefully and I never repeat myself. I've told you my name: that's the Who. The Where could most readily be described as a Waterfront district on Patriot. The What is easy: recently I shot a lot of people and stuff happened. That's also the When. As for the Why: beyond the obvious entertainment, it's exceedingly simple… because I can. Which leaves us only with the How; and therein, as the Bard would tell us, lies the rub.

don't post

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

don't post

Do you have a problem with posts that are longer than two sentences?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Captain Swing posted:

Easy on him, remember we've both got European education for a background

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Ashamed to share a continent with Longhair.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Captain Swing posted:

your post was bad, don't make bad posts

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Between that and the apparent indication that the crim side is woefully under-represented. I think I'll re-roll as an Enforcer.

edit:

wretched_gavek posted:

is there?

and my bow

also, apbrwiki isn't helping much, what the hell do I do to get missions so I can improve my standing with a contact?

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 31, 2011

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

CitrusFrog posted:

Between that and the apparent indication that the crim side is woefully under-represented. I think I'll re-roll as an Enforcer.

edit:

and my bow

also, apbrwiki isn't helping much, what the hell do I do to get missions so I can improve my standing with a contact?

As long as you indicate that you are "ready" (toggle this by pressing 'k'), you and the rest of your group just need to wait around for you to be pitted against another team for a random mission.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

your post was bad, don't make bad posts

How exactly was it bad?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Vinigre posted:

As long as you indicate that you are "ready" (toggle this by pressing 'k'), you and the rest of your group just need to wait around for you to be pitted against another team for a random mission.

Ahh, ok.

Also, are any of the weapons permanent or do you just get to "lease" them for a few days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

CitrusFrog posted:

Ahh, ok.

Also, are any of the weapons permanent or do you just get to "lease" them for a few days?

You have two permanent guns you start the game with. You can also buy perm guns on ARMAS for real money and there were also few code giveaways on different sites that gave basic, but permanent guns, but I don't think there have been any lately.
But yeah, most guns you lease from contacts for 10 days - enough time to earn money for another 10 days.

• Locked thread