Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

adm posted:

FakeClockUp is awesome and I run it at 1.6 also. Does it seem to drain your battery life a little faster?
Never noticed any battery life difference on my old jail broken iPhone 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
Oh how I love you BiteSMS, please don't ever leave me again. :glomp:

If you do install it make sure and do a full reboot after, I did a hard reset. If you don't, the iMessage functionality will be really out of whack.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I was a skeptic when I heard about FakeClockUp, but I'm loving it. It's especially funny to clock it down to 1/10 speed.

waesa
Aug 6, 2002

I don't think I'm a complete moron, but maybe I am?

I've got a jailbroken iPhone 4 running 4.2.1. If I try to update to 5.0.1 I get either error 21 or 1600. I've searched my rear end off and can't find anything that will fix this. Trying to update normally gives error 21, trying to update in DFU mode gives 1600.

I'm probably missing something really basic...

Oh and yeah I've disabled the 'set all hosts to cydia' on TinyUmbrella

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

waesa posted:

I've got a jailbroken iPhone 4 running 4.2.1. If I try to update to 5.0.1 I get either error 21 or 1600. I've searched my rear end off and can't find anything that will fix this. Trying to update normally gives error 21, trying to update in DFU mode gives 1600.

I don't know if this wil fix it, but it might help. http://jaxov.com/2011/03/how-to-use-redsn0w-as-ireb-alternative-in-mac-to-put-iphone-in-pwned-dfu-mode/

waesa
Aug 6, 2002

HorseDickSandwich posted:

I don't know if this wil fix it, but it might help. http://jaxov.com/2011/03/how-to-use-redsn0w-as-ireb-alternative-in-mac-to-put-iphone-in-pwned-dfu-mode/

I'm running Windows, and I tried using iReb but still get the same 1600 error.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

waesa posted:

Are you 'restoring' to the firmware or 'updating' to it? Restore to it if you aren't.

Also, make sure you're in dfu mode and not just recovery mode.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Okay, this poo poo is absolutely ridiculous, Tinyumbrella has cydia hosts unchecked, I have to force it into DFU / recovery mode to get it to boot and once it's up and running, I try to restore factory defaults and I get error 21. I've never ever had this many issues with a jailbreak before. How can I just get this poo poo back to stock? I can't even restore it to factory defaults from the iphone itself, it just hangs and goes into an infinite bootloop.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

nerdrum posted:

Okay, this poo poo is absolutely ridiculous, Tinyumbrella has cydia hosts unchecked, I have to force it into DFU / recovery mode to get it to boot and once it's up and running, I try to restore factory defaults and I get error 21. I've never ever had this many issues with a jailbreak before. How can I just get this poo poo back to stock? I can't even restore it to factory defaults from the iphone itself, it just hangs and goes into an infinite bootloop.

It sounds like you are in recovery mode, not DFU mode. This happened to me a few days ago, I posted what I did to get back to 4.3.3:

I downloaded fixrecovery43.zip which also contained zlib1.dll. Then I opened iTunes, plugged in the phone (was still in connect to iTunes mode) and turned on fixrecovery. I then held down power and home for 10 seconds, which threw it into DFU mode and let the code run. After that, I just went back into iTunes and was able to restore back to 4.3.3. What a pain in my rear end and a waste of 4 hours. I also thought that the version of iTunes I was originally using was too new, so I deleted it and did a fresh install of an older version (10.3 I think).

Also, do you have a version of the ipsw saved for the restore?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Revol posted:

I was a skeptic when I heard about FakeClockUp, but I'm loving it. It's especially funny to clock it down to 1/10 speed.
Heh turn it all the way up or all the way down and long press on an icon so they shake.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.
Reporting back after upgrading from a semitethered 5.0 to untethered 5.0.1.

Absolutely smooth as butter. Used pwnagetool to create a custom ipsw without a baseband upgrade. Did the normal restore and was up and running in a matter of minutes.

Dorked around for probably 3-4 hours trying to get Siri/spire working. Definitely difficult to say the least, but having Siri working 100% plus the added functionality of SiriProxy is pretty cool. The downside is that it only works on the local network, but I now know the steps to get it running if I use a dynamicdns domain.

If anyone really wants a good walkthrough, I can post the steps that I used to get everything running.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I wanted to try out Infinifolders for folders instead of FolderEnhancer for awhile and put my folders in my dock, so I uninstalled FE and installed Infinifolders. If I put a folder in my dock, though, and try to open it, Springboard crashes. This actually happens in Infinifolders, FolderEnhancer, AND Scrollingboard, which I tried later. I can move the folders around freely, and if they're not in the dock they open just fine. Has this ever happened to anyone else? For all I know, this would have happened before today, I really have no idea.
I'm using an iPhone 4 running 5.0.1, untethered with Corona.

waesa
Aug 6, 2002

maduin posted:

Are you 'restoring' to the firmware or 'updating' to it? Restore to it if you aren't.

Also, make sure you're in dfu mode and not just recovery mode.

Yeah I wasn't very clear, I was trying to restore while in DFU mode.

I found a site that says editing the Windows hosts file will correct the 1600 error. I'll give that a whirl later on and report back. In the meantime, I will say I'm glad these phones are virtually unbrickable.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Absolutely smooth as butter. Used pwnagetool to create a custom ipsw without a baseband upgrade. Did the normal restore and was up and running in a matter of minutes.

Dorked around for probably 3-4 hours trying to get Siri/spire working. Definitely difficult to say the least, but having Siri working 100% plus the added functionality of SiriProxy is pretty cool. The downside is that it only works on the local network, but I now know the steps to get it running if I use a dynamicdns domain.

If anyone really wants a good walkthrough, I can post the steps that I used to get everything running.

Yes please! My girlfriend just got a 4s and hasn't really been using Siri at all, whereas I would totally use the poo poo out of that thing if I could get it on my 4.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

adm posted:

e: http://hitoriblog.com/apt/ for those interested

Thanks for this. Pretty zany. I hope they add per-situation dynamic switching.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

89 posted:

FakeClockUp is the greatest thing if you don't have an iPad 2 or iPhone 4S. Set the speed to about 1.6x and you've got a brand new iOS device it moves so fast.

You did not lie, this actually is the greatest thing.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I have a non-jailbroken ipad2 on iOS 5.0.1. I've been looking over all the documentation for the untethered jailbreak, and it seems straightforward enough. My question is, is this process fully reversible? Do I need to take any precautions in advance to ensure I can step back if I want to? My only reason for wanting to jailbreak is to install the jailbroken MAME because it looks like it supports some neogeo roms that I haven't been able to get iMame to play nice with.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

BTC.spengler posted:

I have a non-jailbroken ipad2 on iOS 5.0.1. I've been looking over all the documentation for the untethered jailbreak, and it seems straightforward enough. My question is, is this process fully reversible? Do I need to take any precautions in advance to ensure I can step back if I want to? My only reason for wanting to jailbreak is to install the jailbroken MAME because it looks like it supports some neogeo roms that I haven't been able to get iMame to play nice with.

Unless something has happened in the last 12 hours, iPad 2/iPhone 4S are still not able to be jailbroken.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Are there any tweaks out there to Apple's Reminders system? I'm looking for the ability to have all active reminders always stay visible on the lock screen, so I'll always have that reminder visible, not just when it's 'due'.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!
I just accidentally realized that my ipad2 on 5.01 apparently has the ability to put up to 6 icons on my dock. Is this something you can natively do in ios now? I used to have it jail broken and had six icon dock installed so I'm wondering if this is just some sort of bizarre carryover from that. Ironically, I never could get more than four icons on my dock when jb'd even after installing SID :v:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Latest news on an A5 jailbreak- its still being worked on by the same guy who did the recently released jb.

http://m.ibtimes.com/ios-5-untethered-jailbreak-apple-0-1-272706.html

No ETA. The French sure do love hacking Apple stuff, ever since the days of the Apple //gs and the FTA..

dweebgal
Aug 1, 2004

furushotakeru posted:

I just accidentally realized that my ipad2 on 5.01 apparently has the ability to put up to 6 icons on my dock. Is this something you can natively do in ios now? I used to have it jail broken and had six icon dock installed so I'm wondering if this is just some sort of bizarre carryover from that. Ironically, I never could get more than four icons on my dock when jb'd even after installing SID :v:

Got an iPad 2 for Christmas.

Started on 5.0.1, never been jailbroken (obviously), and I too can put 6 icons in my dock, I figure it's just a feature in iOS5

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

dweebgal posted:

Got an iPad 2 for Christmas.

Started on 5.0.1, never been jailbroken (obviously), and I too can put 6 icons in my dock, I figure it's just a feature in iOS5

The iPad has always been able to put 6 icons in the dock AFAIK

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!
I guess it's just one of those features that no one ever mentions.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Are you on a 4S? If not, how did you get past the authentication key problem?

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

suboptimal posted:

Yes please! My girlfriend just got a 4s and hasn't really been using Siri at all, whereas I would totally use the poo poo out of that thing if I could get it on my 4.

Ok. I'll have to sit down tonight and try to do a decent write-up. I did it on OSX, but I did find a few guides to get it up and running on ubuntu which were very similar to what I did. The hardest part was getting the 4 and 4S to both handshake via SSL to SiriProxy.

Lum_ posted:

Are you on a 4S? If not, how did you get past the authentication key problem?

I'm on a 4, since the 4S can't be jailbroken yet. For they authentication key, I was able to use my fiance's 4S and use siriproxy to capture and store the key. The downside is that she has to connect at least once every 24 hours in order to grab the new key. It's a workaround, but not a permanent solution. Apple was smart with it by having the key change every 24 hours.

It is however a good workaround for people like me that didn't want to upgrade to the 4S, but know someone who did. Plus I like fiddling with stuff like this, so it was a fun experiment where I learned a lot about SSL keys, DNS masking and how Siri actually connects and talks with Apple servers.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is there any app or tweak to back up a normal app's data and restore it later? I want to be able to back up saves from a game that doesn't give you more than one save slot.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Use DataDeposit.

waesa
Aug 6, 2002

waesa posted:

Yeah I wasn't very clear, I was trying to restore while in DFU mode.

I found a site that says editing the Windows hosts file will correct the 1600 error. I'll give that a whirl later on and report back. In the meantime, I will say I'm glad these phones are virtually unbrickable.

So I managed to get one step past where I was with the 1600 error, and now it's giving me a 1611 error, which Apple tells me is hardware related. gently caress this poo poo.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Dodoman posted:

Use DataDeposit.

Exactly what I needed, and I can shuffle them around via Dropbox. Thanks!

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

Well, I just sat down to write the guide for getting Spire/SiriProxy to work, and it looks like I was beat to the punch. Chpwn just tweeted a link to this guide:

http://methoddk.com/siriguide/

Exactly the steps I took.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I got sent my phone (iPhone 4, Firmware 5.0.1 (9a405) yesterday, so this is my first experience of any sort of Apple phone thingy. I've read the thread, but just to make sure, the steps I should take are :

Backup SHSH with Tinyumbrella
Attach the iPhone to a PC
Run Redsn0w on the PC
Restart phone and run Cydia

On which of these steps am I going to come accross the option to upgrade my Baseband?

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

Tyma posted:

I got sent my phone (iPhone 4, Firmware 5.0.1 (9a405) yesterday, so this is my first experience of any sort of Apple phone thingy. I've read the thread, but just to make sure, the steps I should take are :

Backup SHSH with Tinyumbrella
Attach the iPhone to a PC
Run Redsn0w on the PC
Restart phone and run Cydia

On which of these steps am I going to come accross the option to upgrade my Baseband?

None, it will be upgraded unless you use tinyumbrella to protect it.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Has anyone else experienced far, far better battery life with the Corona untether installed? It's dropped my idle battery usage to almost nothing, it's loving awesome. Where previously I had to plug my ipod in every night or it'd die sitting on my desk, doing nothing, now only need to plug it in when I want to do something with iTunes and that passive charging is good enough to keep it going fine.

e: In case it matters, I'm using Corona over sn0wbreeze, on an third gen 32GB touch.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
How is FakeClockUp so good? It's magical. I'm sure I'm just being fooled, but it seems like it makes everything work faster, not just animation elements.

It appears as if many items need to wait for animations to finish before loading. Nothing else explains the extreme (apparent) speed increase. It's lovely.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

Rick Rickshaw posted:

How is FakeClockUp so good? It's magical. I'm sure I'm just being fooled, but it seems like it makes everything work faster, not just animation elements.

It appears as if many items need to wait for animations to finish before loading. Nothing else explains the extreme (apparent) speed increase. It's lovely.

That's exactly what it does, speeds up the little animations! I think they were slowed down on purpose to give a more fluid feel to ios at the expense of a little speed. Try turning the speed right down and open/close a few apps or menus, it's quite beautiful!

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
I heard that pre-4S Siri has been disabled. Is that server-side, or can Jailbreak get around that?

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Maybe I'm not the typical target iOS user, but I want raw speed and ended up going x10 on my 3GS.

FakeClockUp is the shiznit.

Arrowsmith fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 1, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Arrowsmith posted:

I heard that pre-4S Siri has been disabled. Is that server-side, or can Jailbreak get around that?

It's all server-side.

They have super computers crunching numbers so that people only have to wait a second to get replies to their rape and pants pooping questions.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

After Apple bought Siri (whose server-side architecture let it run on even the lowest end iOS devices), their great contribution was to pull it from the AppStore and add a 24-hour rotating key to lockout all the non-4S rabble who refused to buy a midcycle refresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Man I liked the old Siri app :sigh:

• Locked thread