Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's a bit more than what I want to spend... and they don't make it for my car anyway (98-99 Altima, not Sentra). Thanks though.

I was thinking something more along the lines of rattlecan clearcoat or .. something along those lines. The car's really not worth a whole lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
You can also buy individual sheets and cut it to fit. I swear by the stuff, in addition to excellent UV protection it stops pitting entirely...your headlight would have to get hit by something strong enough to shatter the plastic.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Geoj posted:

^
You can also buy individual sheets and cut it to fit. I swear by the stuff, in addition to excellent UV protection it stops pitting entirely...your headlight would have to get hit by something strong enough to shatter the plastic.

+1 I have Lamin-X on my headlamps and fogs. One big thing people who own my car complain about is cracked fogs, and I've never had a problem. Not to mention, the warranty on these things is awesome. If you have any problems for I think 5 years, they will send you a new set no problem.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I made this new key head since I keep breaking the plastic Mercedes units. I'm pretty proud of it despite being a rather amateur effort.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
You have good taste in knives, and that's an amazing idea to make a wooden key-head. Looks a zillion times better than the plastic, and I'm sure it's a million times sturdier.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Decided to track down my exhaust issue. It decided to likely turn into several more. Yeah, I love to drive my bizarre swedemobiles, but the expense is gonna kill me.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Couldn't sleep.
40 degrees outside.
Raining.
Midnightish.
Time to jack it up. :spergin:

The coolant's now magically low. Oh, hi tiny dribbles of green on the driveway, sup? Pretty weak dribble. Took about 12 hours lose maybe half of what was in the overflow. Refill after a squeeze on radiator return. Goes pretty easily. Yup, it's leaking somewhere. Dribbling near the top of the tranny. Either going to be a weak HG, or a blown hose, or a valve.

Oil time! Dipstick is clean. No tell-tale metal bits found, filter's fine.

Too loving cold, wet, and late. Continued next ish!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Replaced a fuel injector on the maxima, front passenger side. Easy right? Only the screw stripped clean as soon as I tried to take it off.

Thank god for impact screwdriver sockets. :smug:

Now it runs on all 6 again.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Oh hey, now that it runs on all 6 again I can hear the timing chain slap. :smith:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My mom took me shopping today, and my bimmer is now mom-approved :3:
Next hurdle: sister approval.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

ExecuDork posted:

My mom took me shopping today, and my bimmer is now mom-approved :3:
Next hurdle: sister approval.

What fate did you consign the prelude to? Scrap or someone else's shitbox?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Tore off valve cover, checked poo poo. Tightened poo poo. Scratched head. Checked sparks, DI, put back. Flushed coolant, oil. Refreshed. Wiped undercarriage. Car no death. Back to 30mpg. Uh.. what?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sponge! posted:

What fate did you consign the prelude to? Scrap or someone else's shitbox?
Pixie the Prelude (what, you guys can't tell me you don't name your cars) went to the new president of the sports car club (autocross club, plus whatever else we feel like doing) to be parts car for his 1988 Prelude 2.0Si (with a succession of turbochargers and a persistent catastrophic oil leak) that he was using for round-and-round ("ministock") racing. But, since September when he came by with his nice covered trailer, he's been saying he's changed his mind and might prefer to turn right once in a while. He told me he replaced the dead alternator, started 'er up and ran it enough to hear the engine (it still sounds fine), parked it, and will get to it in the spring. I told him it's a fine winter car if he needs one, it just needs good tires.

tldr - someone else's problem / joy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ExecuDork posted:

and a persistent catastrophic oil leak

I cannot wrap my mind around this phrase.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

meatpimp posted:

I cannot wrap my mind around this phrase.
As it was explained to me, the engine had an oil leak, which was fixed (or at least hopefully so). Then the new turbocharger blew up, dumped the oil, and caused some other minor damage. Replaced turbocharger, minor oil leak somewhere that wasn't viewed as important, catastrophic oil dump in mid-race. Then another repair, and the oil pan broke or cracked or something, dumping the oil again in the middle of yet another race.

I meant it in a kind of it-never-rains-but-it-pours sense; the car always has an oil leak, and it's always catastrophic (but hidden until some crucial moment).

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Added an aux port to the stereo, changed the wiper blades, changed the spark plugs.

Oh and filled the gas tank

Trigger85
Dec 31, 2005
Had some father/son bonding time replacing the head gasket, rocker gasket, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs and taking the head to be skimmed on my 2002 Fiat Punto (UK). Garage quoted £650 for work after it broke down, total cost of parts including Haynes manual to me for learning to do it myself with my ex-navy engineer father £141. Also got some new headlight bulbs to replace the ones in the car from new, next up cleaning the hazed plastic covers for them.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Conditioned the leather in the TT today. I think it's holding up decently well for a 9-year-old car with 85K miles and 33 track days under its belt.

I also recently got to do an unscientific mileage comparison between the TT's 225 hp AMU 1.8T and the TT RS's 2.5TFSI. I took the TT RS up to my parents' for Thanksgiving, a 3.5 hour trip over 2- and 4-lane highways with mostly 55 and 70 mph speed limits. It averaged a calculated 27.2 MPG. I took the ur-TT along the same route last Saturday for Christmas, and it managed 27.3 MPG.

Caveats and disclaimers: the TT RS is stock, has less than 5K miles, and was on the stock Toyo performance tires. The Mk.I is decently modified, has almost 85K miles, and was on WinterSport 3Ds. Overall, though, it doesn't seem like a bad tradeoff for a car that's up ~100 hp. :)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Wow, I didn't realize they'd made a 2+2 TT. I might actually fit in that one!

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Most TT coupes (except for the limited-edition Mk.I quattro sport edition) have a back seat. It's very small, but the front seats are actually pretty roomy. There's more front head and shoulder room in a Mk.I TT than in an IS-F, for instance.

Here's a better shot of the Mk.I back seat:

And on the Mk.II TT:

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Pixie the Prelude (what, you guys can't tell me you don't name your cars) went to the new president of the sports car club (autocross club, plus whatever else we feel like doing) to be parts car for his 1988 Prelude 2.0Si (with a succession of turbochargers and a persistent catastrophic oil leak) that he was using for round-and-round ("ministock") racing. But, since September when he came by with his nice covered trailer, he's been saying he's changed his mind and might prefer to turn right once in a while. He told me he replaced the dead alternator, started 'er up and ran it enough to hear the engine (it still sounds fine), parked it, and will get to it in the spring. I told him it's a fine winter car if he needs one, it just needs good tires.

tldr - someone else's problem / joy.

How are you liking the BMW in the winter?

Did you get winter tires for it?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Did a euro rad support/bumper/smoked ecodes conversion on my GTI. The rad support is such a pain in the rear end, from now on I have to disconnect the A/C whenever I remove the rad support. Not sure if it was worth it :/

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Replaced the oil filter adapter gasket on the $50 T-bird. 4 drat hours total. One hose clamp absolutely refused to pop free.

I HATE spring hose clamps. HATE HATE HATE.

Good news: no more oil leak.
Bad news: I threw out my almost 40-year-old back. Now I'm self-medicating with some fine single malt scotch.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

PhotoKirk posted:

Replaced the oil filter adapter gasket on the $50 T-bird. 4 drat hours total. One hose clamp absolutely refused to pop free.

I HATE spring hose clamps. HATE HATE HATE.

Good news: no more oil leak.
Bad news: I threw out my almost 40-year-old back. Now I'm self-medicating with some fine single malt scotch.

Better throw in some pain killers as well to make the "scotch" work better! :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The timing chain rattle at startup has been getting worse and worse, to the point where it would rattle even if the engine had only been off for a few minutes. The rattle never lasted longer than 5 seconds though. The NissanClub forums suggest that if it only rattles at startup, then the oil supply for one of the timing chain tensioners is likely blocked with sludge.

This morning the oil was a dark amber on the dipstick, not bad for 5500 miles (synthetic). Half a bottle of seafoam in the crankcase and about 15 minutes of idling turned it pitch black. It got filled back up with Walmart's store brand 5W30 and sat for a few hours, I just tried starting it and... no rattling whatsoever. So yay, I probably won't have to tear the timing cover off. I plan to do another round of Seafoam in the oil next week, hence the crappy oil - after that one it'll go back to its regular Valvoline synthetic diet.

Also replaced the semi-decent Kicker 6.5" coaxials in the doors with some MB Quart Onyx components. The mids are a lot deeper and don't fit in the basket (and the basket just barely clears the window), so I have some washers acting as spacers for now until I can make some proper spacers after new years (they fit fine under the door panel, at least). Mounted the crossovers to the inside of the door panels (this way I didn't have to try and pull more wire into the doors), and the tweeters to the front corner of the doors behind the mirrors. Sounds much, much better.

The Kicker coaxials will get moved to the rear deck to replace the horrible stock speakers.

edit: well drat, Amazon has Metra spacers for $5 with 2 day shipping. gently caress making them myself at that price.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 31, 2011

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

My RSX had water leaking into the tail lights, like there was literally an inch of water sitting in the bottom and some other condensation crap. I managed to remove the lights after some screwdriver gymnastics and the gasket was kind of messed up, but there was no way to open up the tail light housing and new ones cost $200 a piece, so I drilled some holes at the bottom to drain the water away and sealed the area around the gasket with silicon. On one hand, there must have been a reason they didn't bother to seal it with anything other than a crappy piece of foam or put in a path to drain leaks away, but on the other hand, I can't have made it any worse, right?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I swapped wheels on my red car. The Koseis look great.

Boiler
Dec 23, 2004
Shut up phone
I replaced the old, crusty cabin air filter in my 2007 Mustang GT with a new, clean cabin air filter. I've had the car for two years without changing it, and I doubt the PO changed it either.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Have I ever posted about the importance of having someone you trust work on your car? No? Well, allow me to correct that oversight.

Here we see the driver's side rear corner of my car. I was involved in an accident some years ago and unfortunately the insurance-approved (lol) repair shop did a less than stellar job. It's only now that I understand the full extent of it.

That rusty area isn't even shaped properly. The hole for the vent doesn't even fit the vent properly, hence an asston of water gets in my trunk. Time for some POR and silicone. I'd like to fix it properly but that's just not in the budget. :sigh:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Timmy Cruise posted:

How are you liking the BMW in the winter?

Did you get winter tires for it?
The 328is is great in winter; a full set of not-too-worn winter tires on steelies came with it from the PO. I rally-crossed it today in Calgary with the Calgary Sports Car Club (credit to Seat Safety Switch for getting me shedule and location information, and for plowing some snow in his Subaru :v: ). Getting power down is really difficult for me, I end up just throwing buckets of snow & gravel, fishtailing wildly, and not making much progress. But it's way too much fun.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

That rusty area isn't even shaped properly. The hole for the vent doesn't even fit the vent properly, hence an asston of water gets in my trunk. Time for some POR and silicone. I'd like to fix it properly but that's just not in the budget. :sigh:

If you're using an insurance-approved shop, with most carriers that means they'll guarantee it for life. I'd sure as hell call up my agent and demand they fix their shop's poo poo job.

All you'd probably be out is a car rental, assuming they wouldn't provide one.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Molten Llama posted:

If you're using an insurance-approved shop, with most carriers that means they'll guarantee it for life. I'd sure as hell call up my agent and demand they fix their shop's poo poo job.

All you'd probably be out is a car rental, assuming they wouldn't provide one.

Well, this was more than a decade and many states ago. I guess I could always try though.

e: also the insurance company in question has not been my insurance provider for some time

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Managed to fry my 7 year old, horrible lovely Namsung (Dual) sub amp. Speaker wires were frayed and shorted against the amp body, poof. It's stuck in protect now, even with only power and ground connected.

Replaced it with a slightly less lovely (but only slightly) Maxxsonics Crunch "GroundPounder 1100W" amp. I'm sure it's probably closer to about 300-350W RMS, but my single sub is rated for 360W RMS/720W peak. The Dual amp was "460 watts", probably closer to about 150W RMS. And got Fry's to price match Amazon's price on the amp.

Also when the gently caress did Maxxsonics buy MB Quart? I just put MB Quart components in the car thinking they were good speakers... :smith:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
You probably blew a diode or totally wasted a polyfuse.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Started buffing and polishing the Maxima today. It's never been done, and the paint needs a lot of work.

I got the roof/Pillers/Trunk/Quarter Panels done today, tomorrow I need to get the doors/fenders/hood done.

On a unrelated note, my neighbor, whom I helped set up shop accross the street has turned into a massive prick. :v: I came to him today asking if he would replace the timing chain tensioner on the Maxima for me.

I offered to pay him his regular labor rate, and he told me he had to look up any precautions for the job.

I told him I had already done that for him, and tried to hand him printouts from identifix and alldata and he freaked out and told me that if I know so much about my car I can just do the goddamned job. :psyduck:

I don't think he understands that I can call the city on him and shut him down for running a loving shop without insurance in a residential zone. gently caress that guy, apparently knowledge is a bad thing.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Threash posted:

I put my winter wheels/tires on finally.

Would you happen to be affiliated with Modshack?

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
:smith:

:unsmith:

The leather on the old bus wheel was starting to do that thing old leather wheels do when they get old. It was starting to get kind of gooey and falling apart on the back where the sun hits it. The new one is awesome, and the fact that it doesn't look like it was sourced from Freightliner is a nice touch.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Got it dirty :q:

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Dragged my new purchase (1987 MR2) down from my friends house which is a 2 hour drive on 4 rotten tires being towed by a E150 van. I thought I was going to die.

This poor, poor thing has been abused beyond words. Time to throw a bandaid on it and drive it into the ground. Not bad for 500 bucks.

My humble little garage, lets start dragging towards the day's objectives.

The original problem I discovered after purchase (I tried to drive it home and made it only 5 miles down the road before it started overheating.) It has a completely blown headgasket, only running on 2 cylinders and pissed all of its oil/coolant sludge all over itself. So to make things easier let just drop the whole drat drivetrain.

Ying and yang.

The 87's whole purpose is to haul my dumbass around while I drop the new engine for my white 89 in.

Kotaru fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Black88GTA posted:

:smith:

:unsmith:

The leather on the old bus wheel was starting to do that thing old leather wheels do when they get old. It was starting to get kind of gooey and falling apart on the back where the sun hits it. The new one is awesome, and the fact that it doesn't look like it was sourced from Freightliner is a nice touch.

Does the airbag on the new wheel work?