Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Mierenneuker posted:

Sarah Silverman really got lucky there. I mean, if you know it's Valkyrie, why not go -1? Everyone knows who's the lead in that.

You have to keep in mind that Sarah and Brian were with Doug when he created the Leonard Maltin game, and they still don't really know the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I'm pretty sure the negative names part was added on the fly during a podcast ages ago, but she should still know how to play.

I didn't think Chris was that douchey. Comedians are just the kind of people that have to make comments when a microphone is in front of them.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Yeah, if Chris Hardwick is douchey because of that podcast then so are Samm Levine, Scott Aukerman, Graham Elwood, Marc Maron (exception that proves the rule), and Sarah Silverman.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Hardwick I don't really know that well--I don't listen to The Nerdist--but I thought he was funny. Sure, the Mike Meyers quibble didn't make sense, but his Marc Maron interplay was funny.

Maron going out first really WAS perfect. Pardo going out early was a bummer though :(

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
From listening to the podcast, I thought they were sitting in swankier digs than it actually is. When I see the pictures, everyone looks so cramped and uncomfortable.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

LesterGroans posted:

Maron going out first really WAS perfect. Pardo going out early was a bummer though :(
I wish he had gone ahead and made the show into The Pardo Interruption. :(

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Maduo posted:

I wish he had gone ahead and made the show into The Pardo Interruption. :(

He's soooo entertaining in the little time he's actually in it. He's really old school in the amount of effort he actually puts in.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I still think it's less fun and unnecessarily difficult to have to say the names in order when you do negative names. If you didn't do it that way you would have a lot more people betting a lot more negative names, and it'd be funny to see someone pull out a negative 5 or something by naming the top few people plus some super obscure ones they happened to know.

Imagine the game under those rules with a movie like Oceans 11 or Mars Attacks or Contagion

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Chris Hardwick didn't ruin anything about the episode outside of him sperging out for a minute about Michael Myers (and ruining the round in the process). Brian and Saucerman were the best, though.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Riptor posted:

I still think it's less fun and unnecessarily difficult to have to say the names in order when you do negative names. If you didn't do it that way you would have a lot more people betting a lot more negative names, and it'd be funny to see someone pull out a negative 5 or something by naming the top few people plus some super obscure ones they happened to know.

Imagine the game under those rules with a movie like Oceans 11 or Mars Attacks or Contagion

They did that at first and I didn't like it (I was at the first episode with negative names :keke: ) because it's retarded in terms of the game. You get positive names in a certain order, negative names should be in order as well. It's supposed to be extremely difficult to get into the Tournament of Championships.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I don't think Hardwick was trying to be a douche, but he does have a tendency to reach a little far for a joke.

Either way ahahahaha "Doug, is this what I sound like when I complain?"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

indigi posted:

They did that at first and I didn't like it (I was at the first episode with negative names :keke: ) because it's retarded in terms of the game. You get positive names in a certain order, negative names should be in order as well. It's supposed to be extremely difficult to get into the Tournament of Championships.

Yes, but that means you don't get to mention Jack Black or Kim Coates when the answer is Waterworld and proceed to blow everyone's mind.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 25, 2011

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!
Brian Posehn's amazing joke almost made me have a car crash

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Posehn stole the show, in my opinion. That dude is hilarious, and I really wish that when the last movie was revealed, he just raced into the theatre and yelled it at the top of his lungs. Would have been such an amazing payoff.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Brian Posehn WAS amazing. He's always amazing and needs to do the show more.

icicle bob posted:

Brian Posehn's amazing joke almost made me have a car crash

What was the joke?! I didn't really make it out. Did he say the movie Milk?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Dancing Potato posted:

From listening to the podcast, I thought they were sitting in swankier digs than it actually is. When I see the pictures, everyone looks so cramped and uncomfortable.

The UCB is a very tiny theater.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

Brian Posehn WAS amazing. He's always amazing and needs to do the show more.

What was the joke?! I didn't really make it out. Did he say the movie Milk?

He did indeed.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Maybe its just me, but I dont like Sarah Silverman. She's just kind of annoying and seems to be a bit attention whorey like that british chick was from the second austin show. Also I cant tell if she's really stupid or is just pretending to be for comedic effect, she's on the show like every few weeks and still needs to have the rules explained.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 26, 2011

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

DurosKlav posted:

Maybe its just me, but I dont like Sarah Silverman.
It's not just you. I find her "look at me, I'm a cute girl but I say dirty words!!!!" schtick pretty much entirely unfunny, and her appearances on DLM have not helped. On the opposite side, though, since hearing them on DLM I've gone from thinking Garfunkel & Oates were dumb bullshit to enjoying a couple of their songs and appreciating that they both seem like nice, genuine people.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I still think Garfunkel & Oates are bullshit but love Kate's solo songs and think they're both pleasant funny women who need to quit white-people rapping and do some more production on their songs cause singing the same melody at the same time is dumb

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Phone posted:

Chris Hardwick didn't ruin anything about the episode outside of him sperging out for a minute about Michael Myers (and ruining the round in the process). Brian and Saucerman were the best, though.

Honestly I just really hate Chris Hardwick and jump on him the moment I feel like I can because he annoys the poo poo out of me.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Is there somewhere online where all the old Leonard Maltin game categories are listed?

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

Is there somewhere online where all the old Leonard Maltin game categories are listed?

No, a bunch of people have asked for it and Doug has said "Well if you want to commit the time to doing it, go ahead." But nobody has :(

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

indigi posted:

I still think Garfunkel & Oates are bullshit but love Kate's solo songs and think they're both pleasant funny women who need to quit white-people rapping and do some more production on their songs cause singing the same melody at the same time is dumb

I can't think of that many songs that are white people rapping. The only one is This Party Just Took a Turn for the Douche. I love Gay Boyfriend and gently caress You and I Would Never Have Sex With You and You, Me and Steve and basically everything of theirs.

Their terrible song medley is adorable and exactly what you are looking for.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Yeah not sure what the white rapping is about considering they rap like once on the 2 albums I have from them. Then again I also think Sarah Silverman is funny, as long as she kept somewhat in bounds by being on someone else's show. Can't stand her own comedy show though.

Haven't gotten to the episode yet (have quite a backlog), but were the comedians enjoying it or was it more of an obligation, cause they don't look too happy on that phote posted earlier.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

I thought it sounded like they were having a great time.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
Yeah, I don't understand what the problem is with that photo. It seems like he or someone else snapped it while they just weren't paying attention. Everyone was cracking jokes and laughing. It's a podcast, they're not getting paid to be there, they all chose to do it.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
They weren't paying attention. Doug posted the pic because the original (in which they posed) was so bright. Here's the pic:

Honestly though, if I was a comedian playing a game at the back of a 12 player line, with no microphone to add any input I'd have a similar expression to the other pic.

Urk! fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 27, 2011

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
That picture is so much better just for the audience member with the pathetic stache. Also, Alison Haislip I love you.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

plastered quack posted:

They weren't paying attention. Doug posted the pic because the original (in which they posed) was so bright. Here's the pic:

Honestly though, if I was a comedian playing a game at the back of a 12 player line, with no microphone to add any input I'd have a similar expression to the other pic.

That picture really brings out Levine's small stature. I mean, in the other one, he's leaning back in his chair, head buried in his phone, but in this one he's posing, and he's not only way shorter than Brian Posehn, but Brie Larson, too. Dude's tiny.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Yet stick Jimmy between Kate Micucci and High Chair Graham Elwood, and the same sized-dude looks average.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Pete Holmes is not very pleasant to listen to

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

RoryGilmore posted:

No, a bunch of people have asked for it and Doug has said "Well if you want to commit the time to doing it, go ahead." But nobody has :(

I'm a little surprised no J-Archive version of the Len Maltin game has been made.

Sounds like a goon project! :eng101:

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world

Lost For Words posted:

Pete Holmes is not very pleasant to listen to

I agree. I heard him on another episode where I don't remember him being this irritating. I haven't gotten all the way through the new podcast but his early rant about the iPad in MI:4 was annoying and not even remotely funny. I like how Doug got annoyed with him though.

On the 12 guests of Christmas I couldn't believe Chris Hardwick yelled out the answer and ruined the entire round which eliminated Brie Larson.

The problem with the 12 guest format for me is that you barely get to hear some of the participants speak. There were many points where it was hard to remember who was still in the game. Graham Ellwood deserved to win though.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

At least it wasn't like last years with them seemingly saying all the funny jokes amongst themselves, so much so that Doug is yelling at them every five minutes telling them to speak into the mic.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Kymera posted:

On the 12 guests of Christmas I couldn't believe Chris Hardwick yelled out the answer and ruined the entire round which eliminated Brie Larson.

Hardwick cannot help but be the center of any show's attention. Just be grateful he didn't keep going "You know it's funny that that was the answer because I did an interview with that guy who was it .... :downswords: "

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Here are a much clearer, much happier set of pics from the 12 guests ep, taken by the wonder Ms. Liezl.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Graham Elwood looks super tan in those pictures.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Hardwick cannot help but be the center of any show's attention. Just be grateful he didn't keep going "You know it's funny that that was the answer because I did an interview with that guy who was it .... :downswords: "
Former Fat Guy Syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

The latest episode was really funny and I enjoyed Pete Holmes way more than, say, Jeff Garlin or Samm Levine. Someone talking a lot is totally fine when they bring energy and are willing to bounce off of other people and foster running gags along the way ("he 9'ed it")

• Locked thread