Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mercedes posted:

I have no idea what I can do :(

Upgrading to Windows 7 would be a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

stubblyhead posted:

Upgrading to Windows 7 would be a good start.

Man... I just spent all my christmas money. I'm broke! Now the only fix is to buy a shiny new OS?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Mercedes posted:

Man... I just spent all my christmas money. I'm broke! Now the only fix is to buy a shiny new OS?

It's worth it, Windows 7 is soooo much better than XP. XP is 10 years old, ditch that poo poo! I mean you wouldn't be doing a clean install of Windows 98 when Vista was the latest version, would you?

I think you can get a copy of Windows 7 for like $99.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

gently caress. Now I'm stuck with a a very expensive internet browser until I can fit 100 bucks into my budget.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

So none of this works?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/learn-how-to-install-windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3

What errors do you get when you download and run it? You'll need to have SP1a or SP2 installed before you can upgrade to SP3 - those packs are here (on the right):
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/service-packs

Also if you're a student you can get win7 cheaper if you do need to upgrade:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/productID.216644200?Icid=Student_HUB_4up_Windows

$65 now but it's been cheaper

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

baka kaba posted:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/productID.216644200?Icid=Student_HUB_4up_Windows

Any .edu e-mail address will do, as far as I know. They're not particularly interested in verifying that you're a student. Price-wise it does dip as low as $30, but I wouldn't expect to see that again until summer.

k3nn
Jan 20, 2007
Any ideas on how to make my USB ports work? They used to but since a few months ago windows just refuses to recognise them -- doesnt even try to read/identify stuff I plug in; e.g. I have some flash drive with a 'hey im being read' light that just doesnt light up at all. They work fine from the BIOS (ie I can boot from USB) and other OSes. Currently they show in device manager as 'Unknown device' but I think they used to be USB Device or someshit with a yellow ! before I tried to fix them. All the advice I can find online boils down to plug in a USB thing and windows will install the drivers automatically, which doesn't work. I think as part of fixing them I may have deleted my USB drivers in the hope windows would reinstall them but nah. I'v tried installing my mobo chipset or whatever but no dice.

I'm running 7, without SP1 because windows is unable to install it.

Anyone got any magical hints?

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

baka kaba posted:

So none of this works?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/learn-how-to-install-windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3

What errors do you get when you download and run it? You'll need to have SP1a or SP2 installed before you can upgrade to SP3 - those packs are here (on the right):
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/service-packs

wait wait wait. SP1a?

Mother of all fucks.
I've gotten corrupted files, cryptographic errors and failed to install catalog files.
Also, I am a student and that price makes it seem more achievable.

Mercedes fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 28, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Mercedes posted:

wait wait wait. SP1a?

Mother of all fucks.
I've gotten corrupted files, cryptographic errors and failed to install catalog files.
Also, I am a student and that price makes it seem more achievable.

I've never seen or heard of that kind of stuff, are you sure your install media is good? My guess would be a bad base install, not a bad service pack.

XP is still supported and receiving updates, and even if it wasn't, there's no reason for a service pack to fail. There's no need for an XP machine to be online when it installs a service pack, so there's no way for it to even know if it's out of support or not.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

So the reason for all my troubles was my lovely internet connection. It kept on corupting the download. All fixed now.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mercedes posted:

So the reason for all my troubles was my lovely internet connection. It kept on corupting the download. All fixed now.

Glad to hear it. (ps still updrade to 7)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Okay, so I installed UltraVNC (Viewer on my computer, Server on my mother's) and I can't seem to get this poo poo working. It would be nice if I could find some decent documentation, but they're either way outdated and/or in broken English.

Here's what I did so far: Installed the program, forwarded my ports, and set up an encryption key. Trying to connect fails and (surprise!) it doesn't provide an error code of any kind.

Can anyone help?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mak0rz posted:

Okay, so I installed UltraVNC (Viewer on my computer, Server on my mother's) and I can't seem to get this poo poo working. It would be nice if I could find some decent documentation, but they're either way outdated and/or in broken English.

Here's what I did so far: Installed the program, forwarded my ports, and set up an encryption key. Trying to connect fails and (surprise!) it doesn't provide an error code of any kind.

Can anyone help?

You could try installing Hamachi on both and just use the private Hamachi IP address.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Just use logmein or teamviewer

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

GreenNight posted:

You could try installing Hamachi on both and just use the private Hamachi IP address.

c0burn posted:

Just use logmein or teamviewer

Well, someone already recommended I use UltraVNC.

Which one of Hamachi, Logmein, and Teamviewer gives me the ability to have administrative access on the client computer without requiring a user on the client computer to allow it?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hamachi is basically a virtual vpn app. I use it in conjunction with realvnc to remote to my parents desktop. You can set vnc to not ask for permission to remote control.

I'm pretty sure LogMeIn asks the end user to give control, but there might be a setting to change that. It's been a while since I used it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My dad's laptop (running Vista?) has what he call the Win32 virus. I haven't taken a look at it yet but he wants me to fix it while I'm home. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and how to fix it? I installed MSE, Malwarebytes, and CCleaner on his laptop when he got it and was planning on just running those as the trio usually fixes any problems I have with my own laptop.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

C-Euro posted:

My dad's laptop (running Vista?) has what he call the Win32 virus. I haven't taken a look at it yet but he wants me to fix it while I'm home. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and how to fix it? I installed MSE, Malwarebytes, and CCleaner on his laptop when he got it and was planning on just running those as the trio usually fixes any problems I have with my own laptop.

Virus/Malware naming scheme is "[platform]/[family].[variant]" or something similar. His MSE is probably showing him "Win32/Something.K", so he just calls it the Win32 virus.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

k3nn posted:

Any ideas on how to make my USB ports work? They used to but since a few months ago windows just refuses to recognise them -- doesnt even try to read/identify stuff I plug in; e.g. I have some flash drive with a 'hey im being read' light that just doesnt light up at all. They work fine from the BIOS (ie I can boot from USB) and other OSes. Currently they show in device manager as 'Unknown device' but I think they used to be USB Device or someshit with a yellow ! before I tried to fix them. All the advice I can find online boils down to plug in a USB thing and windows will install the drivers automatically, which doesn't work. I think as part of fixing them I may have deleted my USB drivers in the hope windows would reinstall them but nah. I'v tried installing my mobo chipset or whatever but no dice.

I'm running 7, without SP1 because windows is unable to install it.

Anyone got any magical hints?

Try deleting them in Device Manager (select and hit the delete key), and then do a hardware scan from the menu or reboot and see if it finds them again.

If that doesn't work have a look in event viewer and see if there are any handy error messages to google, it might point you to a corrupt driver or something

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

GreenNight posted:

Hamachi is basically a virtual vpn app. I use it in conjunction with realvnc to remote to my parents desktop. You can set vnc to not ask for permission to remote control.

Is there anything I can use that doesn't require an account activation?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Not that I know of. I've never had a problem with activating software I use.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Mak0rz posted:

Well, someone already recommended I use UltraVNC.

Which one of Hamachi, Logmein, and Teamviewer gives me the ability to have administrative access on the client computer without requiring a user on the client computer to allow it?

The bonus of teamviewer and I think logmein is that it does not require you to open ports on either side, unlike VNC and RDP.

Hamachi is a workaround to get VNC working without port forwarding.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

How do I disable the vlc players "software YUV SDL output"? I don't know what I did but now its some sort of external window thats seperate to the main window. Googles not helping.

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
Is there a program / script that I can use that would take an email and if it has a picture attachment automatically save it to a specific folder?
edit: This needs to happen automatically. I can't sit in my email all day and manually save and move pictures.. I can leave a program running though.

Examples:
server1@home.com receives an email w/ no pic do nothing
server2@home.com receives an email w/ pic save it to folder C:\server2
server1@home.com receives an email w/ pic save it to folder C:\server1

simcole fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 30, 2011

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

madsushi posted:

The ping isn't looking for "contoso.com", it's looking for like _mgdc._tcp.contoso.com, some DNS service record, and that service record is not in the host file.

Huh? :aaa:

I really don't know how DNS / DC work that well, other than all I did was switch the VLAN that the client pc was on to the same VLAN of dc/sp/sql servers and once I put in the correct IP for the correct "contoso.com" in the hosts file it'd ping correctly but I still wasn't able to get the client pc to join the correct domain.

What am I missing or is this something I really just ought to study? Or do I just not understand the purpose of the hosts file either?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 30, 2011

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

Huh? :aaa:

I really don't know how DNS / DC work that well, other than all I did was switch the VLAN that the client pc was on to the same VLAN of dc/sp/sql servers and once I put in the correct IP for the correct "contoso.com" in the hosts file it'd ping correctly but I still wasn't able to get the client pc to join the correct domain.

What am I missing or is this something I really just ought to study? Or do I just not understand the purpose of the hosts file either?

DNS does more than just spit out an IP address when you give it a server name. One of those things is to identify resources on the network that provide specific services--like being a domain controller.

There are a couple of things that might be happening here. The SRV record for your DC (the thing that your DNS server uses to respond to requests for a domain controller) might be hosed up. Either it's missing, so the DNS server can't respond to requests appropriately, or it has incorrect information, causing your other host to try to connect to the wrong address. In Windows Server 2003 you could run netdiag /fix from the command line to fix stuff like that, and I'm sure there's some way of doing it on 2008 as well.

Alternatively, you may not have any name resolution and adding the DC into your hosts file has masked that symptom. Run ipconfig /flushdns and see if you can resolve any other host names. If you can't, then your client's DNS settings are wrong or there's something wrong with your DNS server. Can your other servers on that vlan resolve names?

e: I think dcdiag /fix might do the DNS zone repair like netdiag /fix did, but I'm not sure. Don't have a 2008 playground to mess around in.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 30, 2011

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Slider posted:

How do I disable the vlc players "software YUV SDL output"? I don't know what I did but now its some sort of external window thats seperate to the main window. Googles not helping.

Try opening Preferences to the Video page and setting the output method to automatic. That failing, try one of the other outputs, such as OpenGL or Direct3D.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Could someone recommend a very easy-to-use, preferrably free photo viewer for Windows XP?

I'd particularly like it to have easy way of rotating the image, and the option to "remember" the way the picture was last rotated. It's for my computer-unsavvy relatives who can hardly figure out how to rotate the pictures they've taken sideways, and it would be nice if the viewer would "remember" how to rotate the image, too.

edit: Come to think of it, some photo manager that would allow to rotate JPEG images 90 degrees without quality loss would work, too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

pigdog posted:

Could someone recommend a very easy-to-use, preferrably free photo viewer for Windows XP?

Irfanview is very lightweight, feature-rich, and I still use it on my Win7 machine.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

That or Windows Live Photo is pretty good. I use it over Picasa since it can use network locations.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
I thought I'd like to take this time to link you guys the best tool ever:

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

I was tasked with simultaneously moving & renaming about 500GB worth of files to another server, this made it a loving snap

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Wicaeed posted:

I thought I'd like to take this time to link you guys the best tool ever:

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

I was tasked with simultaneously moving & renaming about 500GB worth of files to another server, this made it a loving snap

I'll second that. It won't win any beauty contests, but it's packed with features.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
What program can I use to identify duplicate files that don't necessarily have the same filename?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

fletcher posted:

What program can I use to identify duplicate files that don't necessarily have the same filename?

Duplicate Cleaner worked for me when working through thousands of jpegs. I've tried some alternatives, but they always seemed to lack the ability to prioritize copies in one folder over those in another.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

fletcher posted:

The bone-simple solution is using a checksum app (I use ExactFile at home simply because I'm not a fan of dicking around the command line), but you have to suspect the file of being a dupe first.

Something like this will make it a lot faster and less focus-intensive.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Something like this will make it a lot faster and less focus-intensive.

I tried this, and it couldn't move the duplicate files to the recycle bin because they were open in the very same program! :lol:

Randall
Dec 17, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I'm looking for a program like Windows 7's Snipping Tool, but I want to snip multiple parts of an image at once and be able to set each snip to a different size, rather than just cropping the image with a uniform 6x6 or something size. Is there a program like this?

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski
Hey is it safe or prudent to install the windows 7 service pack 1 yet?

I remember wayyyyy early in the thread people were having problems with it.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

Economy Clown Car posted:

Hey is it safe or prudent to install the windows 7 service pack 1 yet?

I remember wayyyyy early in the thread people were having problems with it.

In my opinion yes.

Obviously you need to do your due diligence and check any peripherals and drivers for updates and issue, but unless you're running something that explicitly has an issue with SP1, I'd consider it safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Is there a best service to use for cloud backups? I just lost a poo poo ton of photos when my hard drive decided to die and my USB backup drive decided to as well (Recuva was unable to recover anything). Not just photos but documents and other random important files. I've looked into plain S3, Jungledisk, Mozy, Carbonite, Dropbox, and Google, but I'm not sure which is the best for the money. A lot of the review sites I could find were out of date and included either plans or sites that no longer exist. I would assume I would need ~30gb to be safe.

Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I figured there was already a thread about this but I missed it. Looks like Crashplan is the way to go.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 31, 2011