Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Sasuke pops up a few times in that filler lump; he shows up for a single scene with Orochimaru in that sea monster girl arc, and he also pops up at the end of that 'five greatest fights' thing.

edit: only know this because I was lucky enough to start watching Naruto when they were just about done animating the Rescue Gaara arc - I skipped the fillers and I wondered what I had missed that gave everyone such a pavlovian reaction. Now I know :smithicide:

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Checking in to see if the series has pulled itself out of the lovely, awful, unbearable filler/recap mire it was in when I last watched. Believe the last episode I bothered with was 215.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Last week was a TenTen/Lee episode

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Watching up til 222 is still canon material, however it looks like the filler is sticking around until the end of the year (at least).

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Just a heads up that the next episode will return to manga material. It might be time to start a new thread or rename this one at least.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I think the biggest problem with filler (particularly in Naruto) isn't that it's super poorly written, it's the fact that it never has any relevance on the overall plot because by definition it cannot.

It really would be better if they could just call up Masashi Kishimoto and say, hey, we want to do a plot arc where Naruto does the Chunin exam now that he's older. Can we just pretend that actually happened and/or you just tell us what happened and we'll flesh it out? Instead, everything exists in this weird universe where everything about it is immediately forgotten after it happens.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the biggest problem with filler (particularly in Naruto) isn't that it's super poorly written, it's the fact that it never has any relevance on the overall plot because by definition it cannot.

It really would be better if they could just call up Masashi Kishimoto and say, hey, we want to do a plot arc where Naruto does the Chunin exam now that he's older. Can we just pretend that actually happened and/or you just tell us what happened and we'll flesh it out? Instead, everything exists in this weird universe where everything about it is immediately forgotten after it happens.
At least in the first filler arc of Bleach, a few anime-only characters they added were featured in a few scenes in later episodes, even though they couldn't affect the plot. Also, when Ichigo flashed back to his old battles in his mind later, the filler villain was shown as well, establishing that the filler happened in canon.

Doing something like that at least treats the loyal viewer with respect. When a filler arc is forgotten, it's kind of a slap in the face to the people who watched every episode.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

It's back! 245 came out today, I think the return to manga material was 243.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Today's episode was just chock full of. :lovewcc: So awesome. Wish they went more into the Uzumaki side of the story that the manga touched on and the exchange between the first hokage's wife and Kushina.

Edit: DOH!

Jiro fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 26, 2012

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

They haven't gotten to that part yet, you may want to spoil that.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Wow, I wasn't expecting this great, emotional episode after dealing with so much filler. This poo poo made me just about cry, I was never expecting that they'd have him meet his mother. The color mixing explaining the origin for his orange eye-sore clothing blew my mind too.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
So as someone who skipped all the filler (including the episodes with 65% flashbacks and 10% actual story progression) because it caused me to vomit with rage, should I try and man up and watch it all in one weekend and hope I don't go blind or is it really entirely skippable?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I need to call my mom.

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
loving hell I keep falling in love with this show over and over again, always when I'm just about to give up on it. :unsmith:

While he's still a little goofy, Bee isn't nearly as annoying as he appeared to be way back with Sasuke's gang.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

The color mixing explaining the origin for his orange eye-sore clothing blew my mind too.

How did they do this?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Charlz Guybon posted:

How did they do this?
His mom is the Red Habanero, his dad is the Yellow Flash. His mom mentions something like, "and what does red and yellow make?"

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

JazzFlight posted:

His mom is the Red Habanero, his dad is the Yellow Flash. His mom mentions something like, "and what does red and yellow make?"

Flaming diarrhea

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Be sure to check out 248 and 249 which came out today. Deals with the Kyuubi attack on Konoha.

ff7cid
Jun 27, 2008

Beartato! I just became aware of the vast speed at which we are hurtling through the universe! Now it's all I can think about!
Just blasted through the episodes since the return to canon material. So good. I read the manga a long time ago so I've forgotten a lot of the details of what's to come and that has me very excited. :dance:

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Nice episode of DBZ this week.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

razamataza posted:

Nice episode of DBZ this week.

loving awesome is what it is, Guy busting open seven of the eight gates series would do well to have more filler of just Guy and Rock Lee having DBZ style adventures/fights enjoying their youth

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I never thought I'd say this but I wished this weeks episode had more flashbacks

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Apparently there's going to be a rock lee spinoff anime. Can't wait.

Yabari
May 14, 2002
Don Juan Delanooch
That's possibly the best news I've ever heard. I can't wait for more drunken adventures.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Please note it's the an anime based on the Lee kid-themed comedy series, rather a serious take on the material.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Yeah there's some like super-deformed Rock Lee manga by another artist and it's based on that. I'm sure it'll be kinda funny, but don't expect drunken, badass Lee.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Appachai posted:

Apparently there's going to be a rock lee spinoff anime. Can't wait.

Yesssss. Although Naruto is literally the only anime I watch (that's an ongoing series).

Mr. Deathy posted:

Yeah there's some like super-deformed Rock Lee manga by another artist and it's based on that. I'm sure it'll be kinda funny, but don't expect drunken, badass Lee.

Ah, there we go, still the only one then. Too bad, Lee is the best, but this doesn't interest me.

EDIT: All future filler should be nothing but badass Lee, with occasional drunkenness.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't know. The Rock Lee spinoff (Springtime of Youth) is pretty fucken hilarious in a very juvenile way.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just got through the sea-filler stuff and I actually enjoyed most of them, especially the Rock Lee one and the one where Naruto's clones go on strike. They're goofy and pointless, but the animation's still been pretty good in all of them. At the very least they're leagues above the slow pans and boring lovely generic ninja teams they'd face in the original series' filler.

Plus it's just really funny to me in filler how they're always busting out insane moves for mundane reasons. Guy opens 7 gates just to paddle a boat around, and Naruto's all ready to go into sage mode to look around an island.

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 9, 2012

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
To be fair to Guy, the boat was attached to a giant loving fish with a sword on it :v:

I was also surprised how not-terrible a lot of the filler was, some of the boat episodes were pretty bad but there were some legitimately enjoyable episodes in there. Certainly nothing like some of the awful pre-timeskip filler.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Thankfully it's back to a relatively nice pace, this week's episode was pretty awesome and next week's is probably going to be hilarious.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Aesop Poprock posted:

I just got through the sea-filler stuff and I actually enjoyed most of them, especially the Rock Lee one and the one where Naruto's clones go on strike.

Is the clone strike a full episode? What number? Sounds fun enough to be worth watching.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Did anyone notice the mistake in this week's episode? While Jiraiya is training Nagato, Konan and Yahiko, he uses rasengan. He learned rasengan from Minato, who he hadn't even met when this episode took place. :doh:

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Lately, Naruto for me has been about five minutes long without the odd, pace-crushing (and often fillery) flashbacks. Bless the fast forward button.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

Is the clone strike a full episode? What number? Sounds fun enough to be worth watching.
Episode 230. It's goofy and essentially ends on an "it was all a dream!" kind of ending but I liked it. Plus Guy is wearing a speedo for most of the episode.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
232 (The Girls Get Together) is good too, and is exactly what filler should be. Character development, a few lighthearted moments mixed with tenderness, and foreshadowing of the main plot. Tsunade drunk is always a good thing.

Jaweeeblop
Nov 12, 2004

After taking a long time off I finally started watching again where Naruto arrives at the island. Uuuuuuggghhhhh motherfucking flying raijin level 2. Definitely one of the most badass moments in the show.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Hey guys, Im trying to watch this series but the breaks for non existent commercials on Netflix then the recap after the fake break then the 2 minutes to play the next episode and ffw through the song and recap after 10 minutes of actual show is ruining it for us.

Are there any movies or fan edits that make the arcs more like a movie that you know of? Since the show is free on hulu and it's on Netflix I don't think this is a files question.

I recently watched the star wars fan edit so I'm kind of hoping naruto has something similar, even If only for the early arcs. Googling 'naruto fan edit' is scary,

Thanks!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Umph posted:

Hey guys, Im trying to watch this series but the breaks for non existent commercials on Netflix then the recap after the fake break then the 2 minutes to play the next episode and ffw through the song and recap after 10 minutes of actual show is ruining it for us.

Are there any movies or fan edits that make the arcs more like a movie that you know of? Since the show is free on hulu and it's on Netflix I don't think this is a files question.

I recently watched the star wars fan edit so I'm kind of hoping naruto has something similar, even If only for the early arcs. Googling 'naruto fan edit' is scary,

Thanks!
Ugh, I wish there was something like this too. I've seen all 450+ episodes of this show and it's impossible to recommend it to anyone because they'll just say, "there's no way in hell I'm watching over 400 episodes" especially when filler is mixed into the canon episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaostime
Jan 3, 2008

Kurt Cobain's biggest phobia was bears in pools.
Guh, are we back to filler eps again?

• Locked thread