Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Farts Domino posted:

Yeah, they're pretty inexpensive, you can check amazon.

A lot of us use receivers because they're built-in. And I'm guessing those speakers are powered and have a volume control, right?

yep, that's correct.

if you look at the photo I posted a few posts up of my setup, I actually do have a preamp, I think. Someone let me borrow it, and it's very oldschool. I didn't want to borrow it for too long so I was looking for something to replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
My Christmas haul:

The "On the Moon" one was something I picked up randomly out of total curiosity. It's actually pretty decent :3:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

the posted:

Yes, I was. I didn't realize I needed one. Is that the actual name of the type of product I should be looking for? Thanks.

What is the model of your turntable? There is a very slim chance that it already has a pre-amp inside that just needs to be turned on.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Ron Burgundy posted:

What is the model of your turntable? There is a very slim chance that it already has a pre-amp inside that just needs to be turned on.

Sony PS-LX250H

http://reviews.cnet.com/turntables/sony-ps-lx250h-fully/4505-7860_7-20649015.html

quote:

...built-in phono preamplifier...

Looks like I'm set!

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

the posted:

Sony PS-LX250H, Looks like I'm set!

Excellent, there should be a switch at the back, just set it to LINE and plug directly to powered speakers with the adaptor like you planned.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
For Christmas I had an Amazon gift certificate. Amazon is generally a pretty bad place for getting records, but I remembered that Riceboy Sleeps was a pretty commercially available record. At about 30 bucks for a double LP, it was always just a little more than I wanted to pay for it, but no longer. Ordered and stoked - it's a wonderful ambient album.

I also got Underworld's Oblivion With Bells because even though it's not their strongest, the standout tracks make it worth it.

And I also have a Onkyo reciever similar to the one that was posted a while up. It's a great model and I got it at a pawn shop with two big speakers for 100 bucks - it works like a charm.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Have we had a conversation about removing stuff from turntable dust covers? I know that some of the sticker removal cleaners cloud cd jewel cases, and I can't remember if I read on here somewhere that they cloud dustcovers, also.

I'm giving my friend a turn table that has ancient tape stuck to it. it seems petrified and I'm not sure the best way to remove it.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

Parachute Underwear posted:

Picked up OK Computer yesterday, was amazed they still had it in my local store

Inside TKOL:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
PolyVinyl Records has a few more copies of the Out of Print coloured vinyl editions of Starfucker - Reptilians and Vivian Girls - Share The Joy back in stock.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I've got a somewhat esoteric question about Pink Floyd.

I really want to get the first two albums (Piper at the gates of Dawn and A Saucerful of Secrets) on vinyl. Do the copies of those albums included in the reissue set A Nice Pair sound at least reasonably good (or equal to older pressings) or should I hold out and get originals? From my observation buying A Nice Pair would be quite a bit cheaper than original pressings of those two albums.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

klonkadonk posted:

Picked up OK Computer yesterday, was amazed they still had it in my local store

Inside TKOL:

I think it's because those albums are always getting repressed. My local stores always have copies of OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac etc.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

LtTennisBall posted:

I think it's because those albums are always getting repressed. My local stores always have copies of OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac etc.

Yeah, the one I got half of the stuff I posted had a copy under their "New Releases" bin.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Parachute Underwear posted:

Yeah, the one I got half of the stuff I posted had a copy under their "New Releases" bin.

Yep. By the way, is that copy of The Lack Long After a first or second press? I managed to snag a first press (the clear grey splatter), but I know they sold out before the album was even released. Also is the Native LP good? I keep meaning to pick it up but I consistently forget.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Happy holidays from everyone at Insound! This week you can enter the code happynewyear15 when checking out your purchase for 15% off fuckin everything until midnight on January 2nd. HAIL SANTA.

My collection's ballooned out quite a bit with holiday gifts, so I'll be sharing some awesome pictures with the vinyl thread soon :3:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

LtTennisBall posted:

Yep. By the way, is that copy of The Lack Long After a first or second press? I managed to snag a first press (the clear grey splatter), but I know they sold out before the album was even released. Also is the Native LP good? I keep meaning to pick it up but I consistently forget.

I'm assuming it is, I had preordered it as soon as I read about it in the punk thread. I have non-clear bowling ball blue. And yeah the Native LP owns. It sounds like it's mixed a little clearer than the Pianos LP and it sounds great.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

cosmicjim posted:

Have we had a conversation about removing stuff from turntable dust covers? I know that some of the sticker removal cleaners cloud cd jewel cases, and I can't remember if I read on here somewhere that they cloud dustcovers, also.

I'm giving my friend a turn table that has ancient tape stuck to it. it seems petrified and I'm not sure the best way to remove it.

Simple green and a razor blade, be sure to have the razor blade near flat against the cover because it can dig in the plastic. If its serious scuffing/etc you can get car headlight buffing/cleaning stuff.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Wandered into the Berkeley Rasputin a few days ago, and to my surprise they've added an Exotica/Lounge section. Picked up "Exotica" By Martin Denny with the vinyl in fantastic condition, and was sorely tempted by Infinity in Sound Volume 1 and 2 by Esquivel. Next time, wallet. :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Finally got around to popping open one of my Bon Iver records and my copy of For Emma, Forever Ago has the wrong label on one side. I feel special.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Forgive my ignorance, but my question is related to the previous posts regarding the Sony PS-LX250H. I might be buying one of these and I'm unaware whether or not this turntable requires a receiver? The speakers I have are AudioEngine A5 powered speakers. Is there a way to bypass the need for a receiver or do I absolutely need one?

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 30, 2011

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

haunted sleep posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but my question is related to the previous posts regarding the Sony PS-LX250H. I might be buying one of these and I'm unaware whether or not this turntable requires a receiver? The speakers I have are AudioEngine A5 powered speakers. Is there a way to bypass the need for a receiver or do I absolutely need one?

I run my turntable with just powered speakers and no receiver, so you should probably be fine? Unless something is really weird I guess.

JBRONSON
Dec 25, 2011
im trying to save money so im not letting myself buy records for a while.
its killing me haha.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

LtTennisBall posted:

I run my turntable with just powered speakers and no receiver, so you should probably be fine? Unless something is really weird I guess.

This is fine, just make sure the turntable is set to output at line level. (the preamp can be turned off by default when shipped)

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

JBRONSON posted:

im trying to save money so im not letting myself buy records for a while.
its killing me haha.

I'm trying to do that, also. But I just impulse purchased a record for 19$ shipped, yesterday.(Kinks - village green preservation society). I'm taking a chance on a record described as vg+. If it's worse than I hope, it will probably at least help curb me from buying used older records online for awhile:)

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

cosmicjim posted:

I'm trying to do that, also. But I just impulse purchased a record for 19$ shipped, yesterday.(Kinks - village green preservation society). I'm taking a chance on a record described as vg+. If it's worse than I hope, it will probably at least help curb me from buying used older records online for awhile:)

First off, nothing should ever curb you from buying older used records online.

Second, on the internet, everything is described as VG+

Horrorclaus
Oct 10, 2008
Not sure if this is appropriate, but my family and I are clearing out the house and we have found a 4 foot tall stack of old vinyl records, mostly jazz, folk and classical. Is there a market for these, or should they just be tossed/ given away?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Horrorclaus posted:

Not sure if this is appropriate, but my family and I are clearing out the house and we have found a 4 foot tall stack of old vinyl records, mostly jazz, folk and classical. Is there a market for these, or should they just be tossed/ given away?

Every genre has desired records. It really requires some research of what you have to figure out what is worth money.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

cosmicjim posted:

I'm trying to do that, also. But I just impulse purchased a record for 19$ shipped, yesterday.(Kinks - village green preservation society).

Been looking for that one for a reasonable price for some time. Lucky.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Spun my Mars Volta last night. Face melted and even got them a new fan.

Then today I got M83, Neon Indian, and Vampire Weekend in the mail. The boyfriend got me Kid A, Kiss Each Other Clean, and In Rainbows for Christmas and opened up my Neutral Milk Hotel box set and El Camino.

Been an amazing vinyl month for me. I. cannot. stop.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

VG+ means an unplayable record without an inner sleeve and with the covers shat on. Everything except NEW means that too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

VG+ means an unplayable record without an inner sleeve and with the covers shat on. Everything except NEW means that too.

Sounds like someone had a few bad experiences. I only ran into one problem where the seller was full of poo poo. His listing said NM and it was probably a VG at best, but maybe even VG-. Now normally if this was a low priced record it wouldn't be that big a deal. Except said record was an original copy of the Flaming Lips' Transmissions from the Satellite Heart. And I paid something like 60 bucks for it. The seller was pretty good about a partial refund (because he absolutely wasn't going to take a return) and then someone else (from this very thread!) was willing to buy it despite the condition, so I still got most of my money back. But it sure was a huge pain in the rear end. I'd like to think I learned a valuable lesson that day (Ebay is loving terrible).

Now what's almost as bad is that instead of all Ebay record dealers using the same universal grading system that everybody understands they come up with their own version of that. So now we have VG++ and NM- and all kinds of other bullshit which is often a clever way of disguising that a record is in subpar condition.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CPL593H posted:

Now what's almost as bad is that instead of all Ebay record dealers using the same universal grading system that everybody understands they come up with their own version of that. So now we have VG++ and NM- and all kinds of other bullshit which is often a clever way of disguising that a record is in subpar condition.

The best is when they have a grade and a description that don't match at all. Like "VG++, cover is split on all sides and the record itself has a crack in it, but other than that it's MINT"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My favourite: shellac records with bits missing being sold. "It's missing a piece. It's worthless. It has no value whatsoever. Please give me money for it - I went to the trouble of labeling it OLD RECORD so now I need to get 5 € for it."

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
The lesson in all of this is that buying records sight unseen or without some decent high-res pictures is a pretty bad idea, since no one seems to follow goldmine grade anymore.

CPL593H posted:

So now we have VG++

VG++ is EX, but most people wouldn't be familiar with that grade since it's a bullshit made up one as you said, and they almost always aren't EX anyway.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 31, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

The lesson in all of this is that buying records sight unseen or without some decent high-res pictures is a pretty bad idea, since no one seems to follow goldmine grade anymore.

I doubt the problem is that people don't know how to follow the grading standard so much as it is that a lot of Ebay dealers are just a bunch of poo poo merchants.

But I agree with your point. I fully acknowledge that any time I buy a record over the internet I'm taking a huge gamble on it actually being playable.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

CPL593H posted:

I'm guilty of both of those, but only to describe what are essentially NM records save for a minor cosmetic flaw. Then again, I playtest if in doubt, and try to describe things as accurately as possible to account for the super-anal collectors. As long as the person you're dealing with has substantial, excellent feedback, you're usually in good hands. It's the 'I'm selling this stack of dusty records I found in my late uncle's garage and didn't bother to do any research at all on' sellers and those with very little feedback history you have to worry about. I've sold tons of $100+ records and never had any problems. The only times I've had issues, it's typically a $20-50 record where something got mangled in transit or by a buffoon in customs.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
New impulse buy today:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
What are you all using to protect your box sets?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'm ashamed to say I use my box sets to protect my vinyl. No more. :ohdear:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
so happy this came in quick. colors look washed out because my camera sucks but screw it. A gorgeous vinyl for a gorgeous EP.

Lord Huron's Mighty EP. One man band who creates some beautiful music and his own artwork - this is a jungle themed... indie rock? (whatever) record. Imagine if Panda Bear injected The Lion King into his veins and made a record.

listen - http://lordhuron.bandcamp.com/releases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

cheese eats mouse posted:

I keep them in a dedicated cabinet in my desk. If there's space to spare in the box itself then I put the records in those plastic sleeves, but I'm usually not that lucky.