Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I just saw another painful Chuck Norris commercial, for tea or some poo poo this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Loving Life Partner posted:

I've never felt that sort of hyperbolic "and there goes my last shred of faith in humanity" until I saw the adverts for this loving thing:

https://www.orderforeverlazy.com/

1) It's literally called "forever lazy", probably because the packaging couldn't hold ", fat, stupid, and slovenly" as well.

2) The features it touts includes a loving unzippable shitter flap on the rear end, so you don't have to wriggle out of your slobwear to take a dump.

gently caress.

gently caress.

That one's been around a while, Colbert did a segment on it back in January: http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/371415/january-18-2011/coma-cozy

He recently did one on TV HAT too: http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/404344/december-14-2011/tv-hat

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've never really thought about this before since I've been seeing the commercials fpor half my life and have become numb to them, but what's the deal with that Gerber life insurance? Why would I want life insurance for an infant?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The Moon Monster posted:

I've never really thought about this before since I've been seeing the commercials fpor half my life and have become numb to them, but what's the deal with that Gerber life insurance? Why would I want life insurance for an infant?

As sad as it is, kids can (and do) sometimes die... :smith:

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

The Moon Monster posted:

My wife talked to me recently about it. At some point the kid can withdraw money from the account interest free I think. I wasn't really listening when she brought it up.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

As sad as it is, kids can (and do) sometimes die... :smith:

True, but my general understanding was that you got life insurance for a family's provider, so if they die the family has a safety net while they get another source of income going. This sounds kind of callous, but in the long term, even without life insurance having your 4 year old die will be cheaper than them living.

I guess maybe borrowing from it makes it worthwhile, but anything that specifically advertises to grandparents sounds like a scam to me. Like it's the Nintondo Gamebody of life insurance. Buying life insurance for your grandchildren just sets off my "something is not right here" sense.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 27, 2011

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Loving Life Partner posted:

I've never felt that sort of hyperbolic "and there goes my last shred of faith in humanity" until I saw the adverts for this loving thing:

https://www.orderforeverlazy.com/

1) It's literally called "forever lazy", probably because the packaging couldn't hold ", fat, stupid, and slovenly" as well.

2) The features it touts includes a loving unzippable shitter flap on the rear end, so you don't have to wriggle out of your slobwear to take a dump.

gently caress.

gently caress.

First time this ad came on, I was watching TV with my mom. I made some comment about how no sane person would be caught dead wearing one of those things in a public place.

Mom replied that she thought they looked comfortable.

Then she got one for Christmas.

I don't like my house.

EDIT: I also have a friend from high school who decided it was a good idea to wear a Snuggie to a college class one day. And then had a hard time understanding why the professor made a point of asking her to leave while the rest of the class laughed at her.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 27, 2011

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

The Moon Monster posted:

Maybe Mom drank a lot while she was pregnant, ok? :colbert:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Hey, it's really easy to profit off of people's urge to strangle their kids. :smugbert:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Doomsday Jesus posted:

My wife talked to me recently about it. At some point the kid can withdraw money from the account interest free I think. I wasn't really listening when she brought it up.

It's a whole life policy that grows cash value tax-deferred, and you can use the cash for whatever you want. It's marketed as a college plan, sort of like a more flexible 529 College Savings plan. Unlike a 529, the withdraws are taxed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

The theory is that once you get old, life insurance is expensive to buy, and with Gerber you'll end up paying a lower price in your old age.

The business strategy is that young people have less of a chance of dying and nobody's going to kill their own kid just for the insurance money, so there's decades of people paying into the system without many payouts being necessary.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

First time this ad came on, I was watching TV with my mom. I made some comment about how no sane person would be caught dead wearing one of those things in a public place.

Mom replied that she thought they looked comfortable.

Then she got one for Christmas.

I don't like my house.

EDIT: I also have a friend from high school who decided it was a good idea to wear a Snuggie to a college class one day. And then had a hard time understanding why the professor made a point of asking her to leave while the rest of the class laughed at her.

I wont lie they look comfortable as hell and if any one got me one I would wear it for cold days with a movie and coffee.....gently caress going out into public with it though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCLfLfkhQO0

Even nerds will make fun of you for it.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
I hate this :smug: woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnWXQGYsReQ

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Did I miss anyone talking about the Rhapsody "Welcome to our commercial" ads? Because that woman is wearing an ugly faux-jumper, the guy acts like he thinks he is Tim Heidecker, the entire set is made of cardboard, and it is all for a service that I thought died a rightful death almost 7 years ago.

I know I am in the minority of people who think Tim and Eric are entertaining, but I think we can all agree no one should be mimicking them?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

I've seen that husband somewhere before and I can't place it. Now it's gonna bug the hell out of me :argh:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

The theory is that once you get old, life insurance is expensive to buy, and with Gerber you'll end up paying a lower price in your old age.

The business strategy is that young people have less of a chance of dying and nobody's going to kill their own kid just for the insurance money, so there's decades of people paying into the system without many payouts being necessary.

Life insurance differs from health insurance though, in that you can actually draw from it after a certain point without having to actually, you know, die. So it is (at least in part if not completely) still your money. For some reason life insurance is more tightly regulated than health insurance that way.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Darth Freddy posted:

I wont lie they look comfortable as hell and if any one got me one I would wear it for cold days with a movie and coffee.....gently caress going out into public with it though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCLfLfkhQO0

Even nerds will make fun of you for it.

Hahah, why does that guy keep scratching like he's got fleas or some poo poo.

I need to have the ringtone from this commercial, though. I've been trying to find out where I can get it since I first saw it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eYQpclJsEA&feature=related

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 28, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

raditts posted:

Life insurance differs from health insurance though, in that you can actually draw from it after a certain point without having to actually, you know, die. So it is (at least in part if not completely) still your money. For some reason life insurance is more tightly regulated than health insurance that way.

You're right to a degree. It depends on the product. Term life insurance doesn't build cash value, but it's cheap as hell. In most cases they're designed for you to outlive them (usually 10 or 20 year policies) but are there in case you've got a young family, you get hit by a train, etc. Then you've got index-based universal life policies and variable life policies that follow various markets/indexes to build that cash value. That's where a lot of the regulations come in.

Whole Life policies (like Gerber's) build cash value as well.

E: Wiki breaks it down fairly well

Yeah, guess what I do for a living :v:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 28, 2011

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Speaking of life insurance, every time I see an ad on tv for "life insurance for those over 65", I have to wonder: What's the deal there? How do they make money? One would think statistically that's kind of a hosed business model unless they only pay out if you get hit by a train or something non-medical/old-age related.

edit: the wiki article talks about programs for seniors bsically pre-paying for funeral expenses under the guise of life insurance, is that all those ads are for?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 28, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

Speaking of life insurance, every time I see an ad on tv for "life insurance for those over 65", I have to wonder: What's the deal there? How do they make money? One would think statistically that's kind of a hosed business model unless they only pay out if you get hit by a train or something non-medical/old-age related.

edit: the wiki article talks about programs for seniors bsically pre-paying for funeral expenses under the guise of life insurance, is that all those ads are for?

In effect, yeah. It's basically a very short-term investment into a very relatively small amount of life insurance for the purpose of covering funeral expenses. The whole "no medical exam necessary!" effectively means the death benefit will be pretty small (usually under $50,000), and premiums will be fairly high. Life coverage has actually become a lot cheaper over the last few decades, since people are living longer.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 28, 2011

Vakal
May 11, 2008
So far I think I've seen the trailer for the claymation movie, ParaNorman, about 5 or 6 times on tv now.

This wouldn't be memorable except for the fact that the commercial is over a minute long and at the end says that it won't be in theaters until August, 2012. :psyduck:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

E: whoops I've discussed it before :saddowns:

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man
Listen up America! Are you poor and stupid? Do you want to waste what little money you have on frivolous extravagances? Then listen up! I have at least 5 different commercials aiming to bilk you out of your money. If you have cash, then send it to me. I can help you offload those American dollars for healthcare that will never take effect and trial versions of software! Give me that loving money you fat pieces of poo poo or I'll rip off your loving faces and wear them while I do my capitalism dance.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

the_Vandal posted:

Give me that loving money you fat pieces of poo poo or I'll rip off your loving faces and wear them while I do my capitalism dance.

That's the one where you tuck your junk between your legs, play "Goodbye Horses" in the background, while you go on about "I'll usure me, I'll usure me so hard"?

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 29, 2011

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man

Young Freud posted:

That's the one where you tuck your junk between your legs, play "Goodbye Horses" in the background, while you go on about "I'll usure me, I'll usure me so hard"?

I'll do this very thing regardless of whether people buy into my poo poo or not! The guy on those commercials will only do this if you send him money and LISTEN THE gently caress UP AMERICA! Sounds like a raw deal to me.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
This is the story of Dragon. It takes an entire commercial break to tell.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I posted this last flu season to you all but it's that time again, if I have to suffer through this crap from the health dept every other commercial break over the coming months you all have to at least once.

http://www.hillcrest.com/watch-our-video

Also gazelle.com. No comment here, I'd get b&.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-fvFD2zN98&list=UU9Z8wnfTBiAA3rnW5QwWa0g&index=1&feature=plcp

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 29, 2011

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Floofykins posted:

This is the story of Dragon. It takes an entire commercial break to tell.

Much like the rambling old guy's story!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Nut Bunnies posted:

Makes sense since she grew up in a rich, well-off part of The Bronx.

This is from a couple of pages back but that neighborhood she's from is far, FAR from well-off. I mean, it does have a higher number of houses, as opposed to apartment buildings, than other areas of the Bronx, but the people living in them aren't anything remotely close to wealthy. They are middle class at BEST.

Also, don't read too much into the Catholic school education. I too am from the same borough and went to Catholic schools until graduating High School. Neither me, nor most of my friends came from well off families. Again, middle class at best.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

I hate all these commercials that imply that just because you are now saving what? $10-$15 on your cell phone bill, you can now buy a Rolls or the Crown Jewels. "I saved ten bucks, so that puts me in the Bill Gates wealth zone". Just stop, already.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Wagonburner posted:

Also gazelle.com. No comment here, I'd get b&.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-fvFD2zN98&list=UU9Z8wnfTBiAA3rnW5QwWa0g&index=1&feature=plcp

What's wrong with this one? I would only qualify it as mildly annoying, not full-on rage (or vomit) inducing.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
Local car dealerships, at this time of year. Their commercials are like "AAAAH!! Inventory tax!! We've got to sell all these cars or we're DOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!" It's like cars have an inventory tax of 95% of their value.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

100 Years in Iraq posted:

What's wrong with this one? I would only qualify it as mildly annoying, not full-on rage (or vomit) inducing.

I don't know about that guy, but my big problem with them is that I was convinced after the first time I saw one of these commercials that they're just doing it to get people's contact and billing information, and well as info from all of their contacts and poo poo.

e: Or, at the very least, they'll quote you a price for your stuff, then find or create little defects in them and change their price.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 30, 2011

mwells_cubed
Aug 7, 2003

WOW

SpacePig posted:

I don't know about that guy, but my big problem with them is that I was convinced after the first time I saw one of these commercials that they're just doing it to get people's contact and billing information, and well as info from all of their contacts and poo poo.

e: Or, at the very least, they'll quote you a price for your stuff, then find or create little defects in them and change their price.

I've used Gazelle once and they are pretty serious about letting you know that they've cleared all of your info off of the phone. They also strongly recommend, several times, that you remove all of your info before sending it. I managed to get $104 from them out of a refurbished but in decent shape LG Voyager, and that's what they had quoted me at when I sent it, too. Anecdotal yes, but they were pretty pleasant to deal with.

On the flipside, though, I checked to see how much they'd give me for my Droid X and was quoted $27 :lol: gently caress that. So yeah, your mileage may vary, but they seem on the up and up.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Thank you, Chase advertising exec, for giving us a commercial featuring the following:

1. a guy saying "YEAAAAHHHH" in the most irritating way possible;
2. a random Chase spokesman and his cameraman buddy filming him and playing the "YEEEAAAAHHH" back numerous times;
3. at the end of the commercial, in what what must surely be the pinnacle of commercial comedy, the spokesman decides it would be great to play "YEAAAHHHH" back yet again...but this time in slow motion.

I dearly regret closing my account out with you earlier this year. Now I won't be able to continue funding wonderful commercials such as these. :rolleyes:

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
If I have to hear: "Do any of you guys know how to post videos to Facebook" one more time I may very well lose my mind(and punch the TV).

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

hamster_style posted:

If I have to hear: "Do any of you guys know how to post videos to Facebook" one more time I may very well lose my mind(and punch the TV).

The first time I saw that I honestly laughed, but holy gently caress it plays every commercial break now it seems.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man
Every day I'm shuffling? Why in the gently caress are you doing this? Are you a casino worker? Are you a jukebox? Why the gently caress are you shuffling every loving day, you stupid loving hamster? gently caress you and your lovely Korean cars. I hope Microsoft sues you for ripping off Halo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My mind just boggles at what must be the expense of the Kia ads. The hamster thing was costly and just kind of random and stupid to start with, and now it's just degenerated into random dream imagery.

How is this selling cars? Is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man

Maxwell Lord posted:

My mind just boggles at what must be the expense of the Kia ads. The hamster thing was costly and just kind of random and stupid to start with, and now it's just degenerated into random dream imagery.

How is this selling cars? Is it?

I hope not. I don't mean to be derogatory, but Korean automobiles are poo poo and are ugly. Instead of hamsters, they might as well start using Zombo.com as their year 2000 sales merchant. Anything is possible with Zombo.com, or so I've heard.