Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

I just got Cladun X2. Any tips before I jump into it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Turns out my parents got me Metal Gear Solid HD and my girlfriend got me Divinity II : DKS. What should I know about Peace Walker and DKS?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mr E posted:

Turns out my parents got me Metal Gear Solid HD and my girlfriend got me Divinity II : DKS. What should I know about Peace Walker and DKS?

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Divinity 2 DKS

For DKS, I'm going to reiterate some of the advice: mindread everyone always. Don't bother increasing the mindreading skill, because you'll pay off the XP debt really quickly regardless. Mindread everyone.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Any tips for Little Big Adventure? It doesn't seem to be on the wiki.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Legend of Heroes, Trails in the Sky. Just hit chapter 1, wondering if there was anything useful tipwise.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Kelp Plankton posted:

Okay, just got Bayonetta and Catherine, both for the 360, is there any big fancy stuff I need to know about either game? Does playing on lower difficulties cause me to miss anything? And is there any useless abilities or whatever I should avoid learning/using in Bayonetta(or any really good ones I should definitely use)?

For Bayonetta each difficulty has some different stuff, but the difficulty curve is really smooth if you start, for example, hard after beating normal. There are some really fantastic unlockables and secrets so it's well worth playing multiple times, and designed for that.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

ToxicFrog posted:

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Divinity 2 DKS

For DKS, I'm going to reiterate some of the advice: mindread everyone always. Don't bother increasing the mindreading skill, because you'll pay off the XP debt really quickly regardless. Mindread everyone.

Counterpoint, after finishing the main story and getting in the expansion part of DKS the mindreading costs get vastly higher, so putting some points in the skill then may be worth it. So you wouldn't spend the majority of the rest of the game in experience debt. You'll also get a ton of skillpoints to go around, so there's no reason to skimp.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

pigdog posted:

Counterpoint, after finishing the main story and getting in the expansion part of DKS the mindreading costs get vastly higher, so putting some points in the skill then may be worth it.

No, it really still isn't. The experience debt is huge but the XP payoffs are also huge; it looks daunting because a lot of dialogue is frontloaded but once you actually get into the combat-heavy part you pay off the debt within a few minutes.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's been forevvvver since I've played this, but I do remember that you want to go to the pharmacy on the starting island and buy some red syrup from the pharmacy before you leave, or else you'll have to go back to get it later. The fact that I can remember this fact about a game I haven't played in at least a decade will tell you how important it is to remember.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I got the PC version Knights of the Old Republic 2 for xmas, and I was wondering if anyone knew what that content restoration mod was called or if it even got finished?

vvvvv Edit: Thanks!

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 30, 2011

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Crowetron posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I got the PC version Knights of the Old Republic 2 for xmas, and I was wondering if anyone knew what that content restoration mod was called or if it even got finished?

It's the Sith Lords Restoration Project, and it did get released (after like five years of internet drama and a new team picking up the pieces).

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Agnostalgia posted:

It's the Sith Lords Restoration Project, and it did get released (after like five years of internet drama and a new team picking up the pieces).
The Sith Lords Restoration Project is the original team gizka project that exploded in drama. Any files bearing that name will be outdated. You want the The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod or TSLRCM which is currently at version 1.7.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I grabbed the Restoration mod linked in the wiki (and bugfixes), but does anyone know offhand how long Planescape: Torment is? Enjoyed the first bit I played (still in the Mortuary).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I grabbed the Restoration mod linked in the wiki (and bugfixes), but does anyone know offhand how long Planescape: Torment is? Enjoyed the first bit I played (still in the Mortuary).

howlongtobeat.com says about 50 hours
http://howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gamename=Planescape:%20Torment

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
I think defending victims of child rape is tumblr SJW PC extremism. Kids lie about being raped all the time, I know because I work with them.
Valkyrie Profile 2 quick question:

I missed this in the Battle Tutorial so it may have been covered there (because it's not mentioned on the wiki either)

When I kill a target, my AP seems to reset to full, is there any reason why I shouldn't go balls-to-the-wall with all four characters when it's going to kill an enemy, since I should be getting all of the AP back?

e: Ah, it doesn't always fill to full.

2 Track EP fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 30, 2011

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

You get a large (60?) chunk of AP back when you outright kill an enemy; you also get small amounts of AP back when you hit a downed enemy and get a purple crystal out of it. Break Mode can make your attacks free for a short while, so if you can reliably hit a Break then you're going to probably be able to spam your way to a decent amount of recovery.

You should always go balls-to-the-wall if only because visibly and completely carving an enemy apart is pretty boss.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Are there any good mods for Star Wars Empire at War?

Some aspects of the game seem to be entirely unbalanced or poorly thought out, just picked it up for dirt cheap on steam hoping it would've played more like a spiritual successor to Rebellion.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Getting hit by enemies causes you to stumble backwards. If a clone is beating on you, keep stepping backwards to escape, rather than running away.

Also, items and health powerups in containers regenerate once you leave a map and re-enter. Therefore you can grind places like your house over and over for money.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I saw a few tips for Class of Heroes above. Just one little question... If I go in expecting Wizardry through an anime lens how likely am I to get what I expect?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Alris posted:

I'm about to go on an Elder Scrolls binge. Any tips for Morrowind and Oblivion?

Don't know about Morrowind, but Oblivion's leveling system is really wonky. Figure out what skills you're going to use and what skills you're not going to use. When you're asked to pick a class, create a custom class with the skills you're not using, and then a few skills that you want to use rarely. This will save you a lot of headaches once you level up.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So, I gave up over a year ago on it, and now I'm going to try Just Cause 2 again.

Problems I remember having with the game were:

1. Ammo. Specifically Rico can't carry gently caress all of it. Meaning I'm almost always running low or out in a game about destruction and mayhem, not loving survival horror.

2. The whole destruction free roam thing. Most basic vehicles suck, they're slow, unfun to drive and can't even cause a good crash. The good ones that are actually fun to use at all, are either costly (we'll get to money) or in high end areas.

You run out of ammo all the goddamn time, destroying things to get missions (your only money source) gets tedious with low ammo weapons and lovely vehicles.

Getting to missions or hideouts takes so goddamn long because of the slow vehicles. Hell even going by para-hooking takes forever.

Things I hated and remember to this day:

- Should be able to carry a lot more loving ammo, this isn't a goddmamn soopor-reeliztik survival game, it's supposedly "gently caress poo poo Up" the game.

- Money should be gained through destroying things, like chaos, at least then you could call in fun to use stuff more often and actually enjoy the between missions time.

- Hub areas should be able to heal you and give ammo.

- All vehicles should be able to go at least 50kmh I mean come the gently caress on. (Wooden trawl boats being the only exception)

So has any of this changed or am I still going to rely on a trainer to have fun at all?

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 31, 2011

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

StealthArcher posted:

So, I gave up about a year ago on it, and now I'm going to try Just Cause 2 again.

Problems I remember having with the game were:

1. Ammo. Specifically Rico can't carry gently caress all of it. Meaning I'm almost always running low or out in a game about destruction and mayhem, not loving survival horror.

2. The whole destruction free roam thing. Most basic vehicles suck, they're slow, unfun to drive and can't even cause a good crash. The good ones that are actually fun to use at all, are either costly (we'll get to money) or in high end areas.

You run out of ammo all the goddamn time, destroying things to get missions (your only money source) gets tedious with low ammo weapons and lovely vehicles.

Getting to missions or hideouts takes so goddamn long because of the slow vehicles. Hell even going by para-hooking takes forever.

Things I hated and remember to this day:

- Should be able to carry a lot more loving ammo, this isn't a goddmamn soopor-reeliztik survival game, it's supposedly "gently caress poo poo Up" the game.

- Money should be gained through destroying things, like chaos, at least then you could call in fun to use stuff more often and actually enjoy the between missions time.

- Hub areas should be able to heal you and give ammo.

- All vehicles should be at least 50kmh I mean come the gently caress on. (Wooden trawl boats being the only exception)

So has any of this changed or am I still going to rely on a trainer to have fun at all?

You can upgrade guns to hold more ammo and get an instant-transport after a certain point in the game fairly early on. The only vehicle I ever purchased was the cheapass microjet, which is good enough for scouting out places so you can fast travel to them.

In gunfights I usually used the smaller weapons for everything and just chucked them away the instant they ran low in favor of something else and only used the big gun for poo poo that required it/emergencies. Don't get attached to your guns.

I'm also really patient, though, so YMMV. V:v:V Generally I played on foot zipping around on the parachute using the grapple to keep up speed and shooting everyone in the face, I never really bothered with vehicles except in short burts (jack a dude's jeep, run over his buddies, accelerate it towards another jeep, jump on the hood, shoot a different dude in the face, then jump off before it hits the other one and explodes). The only vehicle I really bothered with for transportation was the little microjet which is goddamn fast after some upgrades and makes a good first-strike kamikaze weapon.

Basically don't play the game getting attached to your poo poo, play it with the expectation that everything you touch is going to explode in about two minutes. Because really, that's what you should be doing.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

President Ark posted:

You can upgrade guns to hold more ammo and get an instant-transport after a certain point in the game fairly early on. The only vehicle I ever purchased was the cheapass microjet, which is good enough for scouting out places so you can fast travel to them.

In gunfights I usually used the smaller weapons for everything and just chucked them away the instant they ran low in favor of something else and only used the big gun for poo poo that required it/emergencies. Don't get attached to your guns.

I'm also really patient, though, so YMMV. V:v:V Generally I played on foot zipping around on the parachute using the grapple to keep up speed and shooting everyone in the face, I never really bothered with vehicles except in short burts (jack a dude's jeep, run over his buddies, accelerate it towards another jeep, jump on the hood, shoot a different dude in the face, then jump off before it hits the other one and explodes). The only vehicle I really bothered with for transportation was the little microjet which is goddamn fast after some upgrades and makes a good first-strike kamikaze weapon.

Basically don't play the game getting attached to your poo poo, play it with the expectation that everything you touch is going to explode in about two minutes. Because really, that's what you should be doing.

My weapons should be causing explosions, not getting tossed :colbert:

Still, Kamikaze microjet. That costs another how much every time it dies and you can only get money through missions.

Meaning in a game about destruction I am hard limited to my number of call ins.

That is loving stupid.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

StealthArcher posted:

So, I gave up over a year ago on it, and now I'm going to try Just Cause 2 again.

Sounds like you need some nods. Get gibbed's mod that makes everything in the black market 10x cheaper, and maybe a vehicle handling mod.

Also remember that you can get dropped to any location you've been to, not just completed places. You may have to steal a jet every once in a while to go somewhere new, then just grapplechute to wherever.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

StealthArcher posted:

Still, Kamikaze microjet. That costs another how much every time it dies and you can only get money through missions.

That is loving stupid.

Get a mod that makes black market free or very cheap. You can get ammo whenever you get low, get any vehicle, fast travel. It really lets you get wild with the chaos without having to be concerned about money. Also any vehicle except microjet and assault heli are worthless compared to the parachute/grapple combo.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

gohuskies posted:

Get a mod that makes black market free or very cheap. You can get ammo whenever you get low, get any vehicle, fast travel. It really lets you get wild with the chaos without having to be concerned about money. Also any vehicle except microjet and assault heli are worthless compared to the parachute/grapple combo.

Tuk Tuk Boom Boom

I loved that little buggy with a goddamn howitzer on its back :3:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

StealthArcher posted:

That is loving stupid.

If you're buying things from the store often enough for it to be an issue, you're doing it wrong.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

President Ark posted:

If you're buying things from the store often enough for it to be an issue, you're doing it wrong differently.

Opinions.txt

Why can't I gain money alongside chaos, the game would at least have some level of earning to the Black Market stuff without it being hardlimited.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Fumaofthelake posted:

I saw a few tips for Class of Heroes above. Just one little question... If I go in expecting Wizardry through an anime lens how likely am I to get what I expect?
It is very grindy. Team attacks are required to win. Surprise attacks and treasure chests have a very real chance of instantly wiping your party after a certain point. There is also permadeath. Most of these are things I've seen as defining features of a Wizardry game.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I want to play Wizardry 8. What should I know?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

One more KOTOR2 question: how viable is unarmed fighting? I know the game balances are different this time around so blasters are actually useful, but if I wanted to be a whirlwind of fists and Force Lightning, how workable would that actually be?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

StealthArcher posted:

Just Cause 2

Play on easy difficulty for maximum fun. Fights in the later portion of the game just drag on forever on higher difficulties and distract you from the more important task of Blowing poo poo Up.

There is a trainer out there that gives the grappling hook infinite strength and multiple uses, letting you do awesome poo poo like chain airplanes together in mid-air, or grapple dozens of soldiers to your jeep. It can also summon vehicles and give you infinite ammo/health. I think this is it, but there may have been a newer version released: http://www.justcause2mods.com/mods/other/Miscellaneous/BOLO-Patch-Full-Game/

Normally I wouldn't recommend a trainer here, but the entire point of JC2 is to dick around and this just improves the experience.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Bouchacha posted:

- Damage spells tend to be underwhelming, while status effects are absolutely godlike. Paralysing or sleeping an enemy multiplies the damage dealt to it by physical hits several times over.

- The game is not kind, especially early on. Be careful what you engage, and be aware that you can kind of hide out in a corner and wait for things to pass if they haven't seen you. Roads are the most dangerous locations of all as you can get masses of enemies bunched up.

- Skills are learnt by doing; you can get easy spell levels on people by repeatedly chaincasting spells such as Detect Trap or Open Lock, but this process will usually make you want to kill yourself somewhere along the way. It will increase your basic casting skill, though, and give you substantial stocks of magic points.

- Getting stats to 100 asap is very important, as this unlocks a range of special skills that are significantly more powerful than anything in the base game.

- For a fighter, berserk is usually strictly better than attack. Early on in the first town there's an opportunity to find a sword that's cursed but that turns your attack command into Berserk - it's one of the best weapons for a frontliner who isn't a fighter for some time to come.

- Location is important, as is length of weapon. People at the back - or even in the middle - may require long weapons to be able to hit enemies around the front or sides, so try to make sure that everyone has an option even if it's just a cheap and cheerful stack of arrows.

- ... but keep people at the sides anyway, because the enemy's natural inclination is to try to surround you and that will mean a quick death to your mages if you're not covering them.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Bouchacha posted:

Loads of info for all Wiz games here: http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/

For wiz8 party-building, Jandrall's archived geocities site is a gold mine: http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/jandrall/

General personal guff:

-Despite what a lot of the old caster guides say, piety is loving useless outside of meeting class requirements. Iron Will is totally redundant, as resists cap at 100 and you'll be hitting that with buffs (or you'll be dead later on) and each point only adds a bit of stamina and a piddly 0.2% extra spellpoints. Dump those points in something more useful. As an aside, this further strengthens the "Hobbits are the master race" sentiment a lot of guides express; Hobbits sacrifice piety for gains in other (better) stats.

-Learn to "combat move" like a pro: enable combat mode outside of enemy LoS, then use party walk/run to close to melee distance before combat begins or just sneak past encounters you don't want to deal with. This tactic can be also used to snag fancy loot fairly early, but that's only really required for solo or ironman runs.

-This may be considered cheesy, but if one or more of your party gets turncoated or made insane...force a party move until it wears off or you can escape! For some reason this overrides any infighting, and will almost certainly prevent a party wipe in serious cases.

-Just about any party config is viable, but if you want an easier run I'd recommend including a bard. Their mana-free buffing/healing takes a load off any dedicated casters in the party, and they have early access to bread n' butter crowd-control such as insanity and sleep. As Stelas said, damage spells are pretty pants but CC is amazing.

-Stelas also already touched on this, but you can efficiently cram multiple caster roles onto one bishop...if you can withstand soul-crushing tedium. A 4-school bishop is amazing, but will require somewhere in the region of 2-3 hours of mindless, rote spellspamming to truly shine. It's not worth it. Save your sanity and either use 2-school bishops or specialist casters.

-Fighters are really good, as are rogues. Sure, inherent instakill sounds cool, but aside from a single niche case (Faerie Ninja with a particular uberweapon), you'll get more mileage out of the dull-as-dishwater berserking fighter or backstabbing rogue than one of those fancy hybrids. Actually, the fighter is probably slightly overpowered.

-Don't faff about with multiclassing, it's generally not worth it outside of solo runs.

E: My bad, piety is a piddly 0.2%, not 0.4. Not exactly the best use of your attribute points when you can only allocate 3 a level.

E2: An extra few I just remembered:

-Arnika Road is awful. Don't raise anyone's level above...5 I think while you're still in the monastery or you'll trip the game's level-scaling system and possibly spawn stronger enemies between you and Arnika. Even without higher level foes, the road is still a nuisance to traverse so make a save prior to exiting the monastery, that way you can reload if any encounters are flat-out unbeatable. Crimson Poppies. :argh:

-Don't raise any character's INT above 95, there's a fountain available that will permanently boost your party's INT by 5 if you can answer a simple riddle.

-Loot dropped from monsters/NPCs is generated upon death, so you can load saves as normal if you want to obtain a particular drop. Chest loot on the other hand is devious: it's generated upon entry to a map, so if you want to game them then you'll need to keep a save prior to entering an area and slog all the way back to the desired chest, every time.

Squiggly Beast fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 31, 2011

al-azad
May 28, 2009

StealthArcher posted:

Something I don't think the game tells you and I never figured out for a while is that the signal bars show how close you are to an upgrade. Once you're within a few feet it'll appear on your screen with an arrow towards it.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I just got El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron. Any advice?

What does purifying my weapon do, exactly?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Centipeed posted:

Purifying your weapon just makes it do normal damage. When it's black, it does very little damage. Other than that, enjoy the confusing (and beautiful) mindfuckery.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Any tips for STALKER: Call of Pripyat? How different is it from Shadow of Chernobyl?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Centipeed posted:

You get an extra aerial dash if you have the Gale and do Jump+Block. This can be quite helpful for platforming segments.

Pausing inbetween when you hit the attack button causes you to do different combos.

Their is no reason not to play on easy

Red orbs that you collect are for refilling Uriel's Blessing which you'll understand once the game unlocks it for you.

Collecting Ishtar's bones gets you an alternate outfit, so feel free to skip them.

The game isn't a 1:1 retelling of the Book of Enoch but most of it actually is pulled from the scant few chapters in the book pertaining to these Fallen. Lots of Kabbalistic tradition and stories are used as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Sam. posted:

Any tips for STALKER: Call of Pripyat? How different is it from Shadow of Chernobyl?

The main difference has to do with artifact detection. In SoC, artifacts are just sitting around in anomaly fields. In CS and CoP, they only appear when you are standing basically on top of them and you need to have your artifact detector out to find them. The starting detector is just a hot/cold thing - it beeps faster the closer you are to an artifact. The second one does proximity and the direction the the artifact. The third shows the exact position of the artifact on the screen. The fourth shows the artifact position and the position of anomalies. It will take a little time to get used to and the starting detector blows big time but you'll figure it out pretty quick once you get the second tier one. Other than that it's pretty similar and straightforward.