Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PriorMarcus posted:

Speaking as a professional designer I can say that 99% of those, including all the Manos ones, are awful. The one on this page isn't much better either.
Speaking as someone who isn't a professional designer, could you explain why?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying I'm uninformed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking as someone who isn't a professional designer, could you explain why?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying I'm uninformed.

As somebody who is not a professional designer... are you kidding? Most of them look ugly as sin. People give so much love to the Criterion covers, however a lot of people get it wrong when they try to emulate it. Some would even argue that even Criterion misses the mark sometimes(at least it seems that way every month when Criterion announces the new upcoming releases)

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The portrait is great but I really love this image:

Might be interesting for the back cover or booklet insert or something. It's just so enigmatic and creepy.

I agree with this. It's a beautiful picture and, aside from the movie being bad, describes the overall vibe of the movie really well in a single image.

zandert33 posted:

As somebody who is not a professional designer... are you kidding? Most of them look ugly as sin. People give so much love to the Criterion covers, however a lot of people get it wrong when they try to emulate it. Some would even argue that even Criterion misses the mark sometimes(at least it seems that way every month when Criterion announces the new upcoming releases)

Look at you being all right and stuff.

Seriously, most attempts at aping the Criterion covers end up being both misguided and ugly.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If I just slap on some flat vector images in two colours I'm basically Saul Bass, right?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

zandert33 posted:

Yeah, the choice in colors, composition, poor vector art, poorer sources. The only one on that page I liked is The Conversation, but they should have had the tape be in the title and not the "the".

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

This is the most gangster poo poo. I've been fascinated with this movie for years. I've probably seen it half a dozen times. Never would I have imagine seeing it in HD.

It'll be strange because that grainy footage in the original print it what left the biggest impression on me. It looks like a snuff film which works in the films favor in a way. Such a creepy atmosphere.

Can't wait for this!

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.

Supercar Gautier posted:

If I just slap on some flat vector images in two colours I'm basically Saul Bass, right?

Also: Using a different font for each separate text element.
-- My graduating GD class.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Here's hoping that either Rifftrax or Cinematic Titanic gives this another go; CT re-did Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, and it's just as funny as the original episode. It'd be a great bonus if we could get a comedy commentary from the guys who made this film famous.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Re: the fake Criterion covers -- I think there's such a thing as TOO clever. The tricky minimalism can be fun and all, but once the novelty wears off it's not always the best choice to represent the movie.

I actually think the Manos one is one of the better ones, as it does feel pretty B-movie-ish, but maybe something a little more photographic would be more appropriate.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Using one of those attempted minimalist posters would date the Blu-Ray horribly in a few years when that style is no longer in vogue. Something better representing the film would be more appropriate.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I feel like the coolest cover for this sort of movie would be either something composite from that original official poster or a shot from the movie with the title/whatever on the bottom like Driller Killer:

Fake movie quotes attributed to Ebert/etc. would be a bonus. "Lurid action that will change the course of cinema as we know it even more than Blade II." ~Harry Knowles would be a great cover quote. :)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Neo Rasa posted:

Fake movie quotes attributed to Ebert/etc. would be a bonus. "Lurid action that will change the course of cinema as we know it even more than Blade II." ~Harry Knowles would be a great cover quote. :)

Pretty sure you can get sued for that, since this is an actual commercial product.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Plus with how widespread this is getting, you probably wouldn't need to get fake quotes anyway.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just thought of something. If there is some kind of MST3K thing done with this, with either Rifftrax or Cinematic Titanic (or god willing, both), I hope that Ben lets them redistribute the video under a video-on-demand like Rifftrax does. Something like profites would go 33% Rifftrax crew, 33% CT crew, 34% Ben Solo. Just so long that's what Ben wants.

It just seems to be the easiest way. Because people that know of this movie are slim. People who know of RT or CT after MST3k gets smaller. People who would know about the re-release of Manos would be even smaller. So if either of them did mock the movie again, if they didn't know where to get it, I don't know if it would take off if they couldn't redistribute it.

EDIT: Hell, not even bluray quality. Let them redistribute the DVD quality with the tracks in the audio track, and then if people wanted the full glory of Manos they can go to Ben for the bluray.

EDIT 2: Twitter urls get mangeled here, so I fixed it for you. vv
http://twitter.com/#!/ebertchicago/status/142037923213230080

IUG fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 31, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Idran posted:

Plus with how widespread this is getting, you probably wouldn't need to get fake quotes anyway.

http://twitter.com/!/ebertchicago/status/142037923213230080

Roger Ebert: "Miraculous!"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Douche Bag posted:

This is the most gangster poo poo. I've been fascinated with this movie for years. I've probably seen it half a dozen times. Never would I have imagine seeing it in HD.

It'll be strange because that grainy footage in the original print it what left the biggest impression on me. It looks like a snuff film which works in the films favor in a way. Such a creepy atmosphere.

Some of the graininess is inherent to the kind of film that was used originally, and that won't be going away. It will be HD in that it will be the best possible reproduction of the original work print, but it won't look like a film recorded in HD today.

When HDTV first came out people were oohing and ahhing over being able to see tiny details like individual hairs and skin pores that they had never been able to see on TV before. If the work print doesn't show that level of detail, then it can't be included.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
gently caress being able to see hair or pores, I want to see those nice big 16mm grains.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

That's the appeal of it--sure it'll be grainy as hell, but it gives it this almost otherworld quality, like a snuff film or, as famously put on MST3K, like someone's last known photo.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Reichstag posted:

gently caress being able to see hair or pores, I want to see those nice big 16mm grains.

Grave $avings posted:

That's the appeal of it--sure it'll be grainy as hell, but it gives it this almost otherworld quality, like a snuff film or, as famously put on MST3K, like someone's last known photo.

gently caress that.

Ben, can you make this happen? Just imagine it's Torgo in the comparison:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Grave $avings posted:

Heh, MST also questioned if it was a snuff film in the episode.

AngusOwnsYou
Oct 11, 2007
If I'm a shitty poster, tell Silentman0

Dissapointed Owl posted:

gently caress that.

Ben, can you make this happen? Just imagine it's Torgo in the comparison:

Is this man supposed to look like he's made of plastic?

I'll take the grains over this.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Good lord, this looks like a cautionary tale of digital noise reduction. I almost want to watch this version of the movie now, just because of how bizarre it looks.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

AngusOwnsYou posted:

Is this man supposed to look like he's made of plastic?

I'll take the grains over this.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Good lord, this looks like a cautionary tale of digital noise reduction. I almost want to watch this version of the movie now, just because of how bizarre it looks.

I don't know what you guys are talking about

This looks extremely

natural.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

One of the main reasons I don't have 'Predator' on blu-ray. That, and the blu-ray doesn't have any added special features that the latest DVD version doesn't have.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Xenomrph posted:

One of the main reasons I don't have 'Predator' on blu-ray. That, and the blu-ray doesn't have any added special features that the latest DVD version doesn't have.

I have the non 'special' (oh it's special alright) edition, the original release with no DNR.

Stick to the DVD. Not that noticeable a leap in quality.

^^^^ The sentence above is something you will never hear once this bad boy is released :D

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 1, 2012

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Hah! That mustache looks like a strip of felt.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Looks like a Madame Tussauds wax person.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I don't know what you guys are talking about

This looks extremely

natural.

These look like video games, and not in the good way.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Dissapointed Owl posted:

"Shepherd, we've got to find Saren."

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Just chucked in $50, haven't seen Manos properly before but the offer of a blu-ray/shirt/special thanks was too awesome to pass up in light of how great this thread has already been.

Good luck with it all man.

Prof. Numbers
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a genius! *ow*

IUG posted:

I just thought of something. If there is some kind of MST3K thing done with this, with either Rifftrax or Cinematic Titanic (or god willing, both), I hope that Ben lets them redistribute the video under a video-on-demand like Rifftrax does. Something like profites would go 33% Rifftrax crew, 33% CT crew, 34% Ben Solo. Just so long that's what Ben wants.

That's a good question. The workprint is public domain, otherwise Ben wouldn't be able to restore it. (Yes?)

Is the restoration legally a different work? If so, what will Ben license it under? All rights reserved? Creative Commons?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Prof. Numbers posted:

That's a good question. The workprint is public domain, otherwise Ben wouldn't be able to restore it. (Yes?)

Is the restoration legally a different work? If so, what will Ben license it under? All rights reserved? Creative Commons?

This was covered earlier in the thread. And I hope Ben leaves it public domain.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

duz posted:

This was covered earlier in the thread. And I hope Ben leaves it public domain.

Dumb question perhaps, but wouldn't that mean that people can just take his restoration and sell it themselves? (major misunderstanding of public domain itp)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Dumb question perhaps, but wouldn't that mean that people can just take his restoration and sell it themselves? (major misunderstanding of public domain itp)

Yes, that's what public domain means. The public owns it and can do whatever they want with it. Thanks to the kickstarter, his costs are covered and he'll have a head start on selling his version before anyone else. So while I'm not him, I do happen to be a fan of the public domain and would hate to see the best version of Manos get pulled out of it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Doesn't the creative commons licencing say that you can use it for personal use without a problem, but if you try to sell it then you need to contact Ben to work something out?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

IUG posted:

Doesn't the creative commons licencing say that you can use it for personal use without a problem, but if you try to sell it then you need to contact Ben to work something out?

If you use the non-commercial clause of it, and you'd have to be putting it back under copyright to use the CC license. It's probably why that other guy is making a "Special Edition", easier to claim a new copyright on it.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

duz posted:

Yes, that's what public domain means. The public owns it and can do whatever they want with it. Thanks to the kickstarter, his costs are covered and he'll have a head start on selling his version before anyone else. So while I'm not him, I do happen to be a fan of the public domain and would hate to see the best version of Manos get pulled out of it.

As far as I understand from the earlier thread discussion, the product of the restoration process he's undergoing, the actual finished product, would be under Ben's copyright (though he'd be free to put it under CC or release it into public domain or whatever), but Manos itself wouldn't be, and anyone would be free to create their own restoration based on the negatives and whatnot he's going to be generating from the raw film.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Idran posted:

As far as I understand from the earlier thread discussion, the product of the restoration process he's undergoing, the actual finished product, would be under Ben's copyright (though he'd be free to put it under CC or release it into public domain or whatever), but Manos itself wouldn't be, and anyone would be free to create their own restoration based on the negatives and whatnot he's going to be generating from the raw film.

It's possible, sure. It depends on how much restoration he does as copies usually don't qualify for a new copyright. Of course Ben's probably already had these discussions with people who actually know what they're talking about, but I can hope.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
In for $50. No longer will every frame of this film look like someone's last-known photograph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
No, it will, just with more resolution.

• Locked thread