Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamikaze
Jul 12, 2000

CRANKIN'
and
CHUGGIN'
Hey I'm streaming some Marvel casuals tonight if you guys want to watch. http://www.twitch.tv/boomgorillas - Fellow goon Fereydun is here!

Edit: Fixed the link!

Jamikaze fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Jamikaze posted:

Hey I'm streaming some Marvel casuals tonight if you guys want to watch. http://www.twitch.tv/boomgorillas - Fellow goon Fereydun is here!

Just wanna endorse this stream because I've been watching for ~15 minutes and the play has been solid unlike that stream last night

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Can someone run through the preferred combos for Spencer from midscreen? I've been doing a pretty easy loop in the corner for ~700k, although I'm sure I can do much better. I'm also not sure what's going on with the S > QCF+H~L combos I see online. I get that I have to jump-cancel the S and then cancel the pre-jump frames with the QCF+H, but practically speaking, I'm not sure what the difference is between that and instant-air QCF+H (grapple downward).

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
So snapping Wesker in is a good idea in concept I guess, but he also has assists then, not to mention that then I'm suddenly out a meter.

I guess I should buy the bible for this but I mean, does he have any weakspots? Anything I can exploit in his offense?

Another strategy I had with Chris against him was lob fire grenades and then stand in the fire, but a smart Wesker will then just use their Jump Gun Jump to deny me the time to get set up. I then let out an empty laugh as I remember that Wesker also has a very fast high priority projectile.

I'm holding my own in these fights but I just get inched out by the stuff I don't have an answer to. I am relying on mistakes on their part, but not really pushing them to make those mistakes, which works for now but won't against anyone worth a drat.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Phenotype posted:

I get that I have to jump-cancel the S and then cancel the pre-jump frames with the QCF+H, but practically speaking, I'm not sure what the difference is between that and instant-air QCF+H (grapple downward).
The L follow up to the standing H grapple never scales so it adds 80k to your combo no matter when you do it.

Or maybe you don't mean why are they doing it, you mean how? To pull it off you end the QCF by going to up-forward but push H before he actually jumps.

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 31, 2011

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Jamikaze posted:

Stop revealing all my secret teams by streaming me picking them!!

edit: I also noticed something drastic that they changed with Ryu in Ultimate:

They took out the jetplane sound for his Shin Shoryuken.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 31, 2011

LJONESRYDA
Oct 7, 2011

Cat Machine posted:

Just wanna endorse this stream because I've been watching for ~15 minutes and the play has been solid unlike that stream last night

Oh man, you cut so deep.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

wixard posted:

The L follow up to the standing H grapple never scales so it adds 80k to your combo no matter when you do it.

Or maybe you don't mean why are they doing it, you mean how? To pull it off you end the QCF by going to up-forward but push H before he actually jumps.

Yeah, I was asking HOW. I'm not sure what my hands are supposed to be doing. Is there any difference between the input for this and the input for instant-air OTG grapples? I seem to get the proper cancel after the S about half the time, and an instant-air OTG the other half.

I'm also still looking for a decent midscreen combo -- I'm still using OTG grapple into super, and I know there's better ones out there.

VVV That helps, thanks!

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 31, 2011

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
You need to cancel the jump's startup to get a grounded grapple. this gives you a 3 frame, I think, window to push H. If you're getting a a TK grapple you're pressing H too late, after the jump's startup is over and you've already left the ground. The directional inputs are the exact same as a TK move, you just need to press the button earlier.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Phenotype posted:

I'm also still looking for a decent midscreen combo -- I'm still using OTG grapple into super, and I know there's better ones out there.
Wish I could help there, seems like no matter what I do to try and make it consistent, I can't always get the OTG Grapple -> Zipline df -> s.M -> relaunch to hit consistently so I usually end up just hypering too.

If you're a lot better at corner pressure, doing a (j.M) j.H xx zipline zipline zipline j.S as your air series often carries them pretty close to it. Ending the air series with zipline j.S also takes Spencer to the ground faster. Midscreen I've noticed PR Rog will end air series zipline df then j.S (this works when you're near the screen edge) and I think that gives you proper time and spacing to use his Bionic Bomber OTG instead and save the grapple OTG for when you're in the corner.

But this is all tech I noticed soon after replacing Spencer on my team so I haven't spent a whole lot of time playing with it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

wixard posted:

Wish I could help there, seems like no matter what I do to try and make it consistent, I can't always get the OTG Grapple -> Zipline df -> s.M -> relaunch to hit consistently so I usually end up just hypering too.

Yeah, that's the combo I've been trying off and on since vanilla, but it seems too difficult for my puny American reflexes. I've tried the MH>3x zipline>S into the corner too, but I haven't spent much time with it since I'm sure there's better stuff.

If anyone's interested, there's bound to be some good stuff in here: An hour+ video of Chris G. vs Combofiend from a few days ago. I've only watched the first half hour or so, but there's some really good Nova stuff already, which is another character I've been playing with. I might even adopt Combo's whole team, honestly.

Jamikaze
Jul 12, 2000

CRANKIN'
and
CHUGGIN'

Fereydun posted:

Stop revealing all my secret teams by streaming me picking them!!

edit: I also noticed something drastic that they changed with Ryu in Ultimate:

They took out the jetplane sound for his Shin Shoryuken.

Pssh, stop having like 75 different teams!

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Waverhouse posted:

So snapping Wesker in is a good idea in concept I guess, but he also has assists then, not to mention that then I'm suddenly out a meter.

I guess I should buy the bible for this but I mean, does he have any weakspots? Anything I can exploit in his offense?

Another strategy I had with Chris against him was lob fire grenades and then stand in the fire, but a smart Wesker will then just use their Jump Gun Jump to deny me the time to get set up. I then let out an empty laugh as I remember that Wesker also has a very fast high priority projectile.

I'm holding my own in these fights but I just get inched out by the stuff I don't have an answer to. I am relying on mistakes on their part, but not really pushing them to make those mistakes, which works for now but won't against anyone worth a drat.

The one big hole in Wesker's offensive are his air-to-air options: he can't punish you if you take the top left corner while he's in the top right, for instance. Anyone who can take to the skies and attack can force Wesker into playing defensively, which is a nice start. Besides that, I heartily recommend checking out Bum's stream - he posted lots of Wesker vs. Chris action, and believe it or not, the fire generally won it for him. You'd be surprised at what catches people offguard, even in top tier play.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Alternatively, employ the Wargames Matchup Strategy, also in vogue in SSFIV: AE prior to the patch, when facing Yun.

I was wondering...Dorm's Liberation assist goes all the way up to the top of the screen/hits super-jumping characters? I'm trying to figure out the optimal lockdown/keepaway team, and while Dorm's Dark Hole is usually a better assist choice, maybe having vertical control would help characters that can spam attacks in the horizontal space. Just theorycrafting, it will be a while until I can play Ultimate with any sort of frequence.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
You mean his Purification assist? Liberation uses his current destroyer/creator spell charges. Purification does hit all the way up to the top of the screen, but it's slow, like all of Dorm's assists. Purification in specific has 56 startup frames. Not nearly as fast as Dante's Jam Session but it does force most characters to block if they're just trying to superjump in on you.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Metrohunter posted:

You mean his Purification assist? Liberation uses his current destroyer/creator spell charges. Purification does hit all the way up to the top of the screen, but it's slow, like all of Dorm's assists. Purification in specific has 56 startup frames. Not nearly as fast as Dante's Jam Session but it does force most characters to block if they're just trying to superjump in on you.

Yeah, the pillar thing. Too bad it's slow, though.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I'm having trouble coming up with a good team. I'd love to having a zoning team, but my execution is rear end and I can't really seem to find any good combinations of characters/assists. Even with the Brady guide I really feel like I'm not getting anything out of training mode. I can't do anything more complex than LMHS xx sj. MMHS OTG xx super, not even the basic BNB's in the guide. I've been looking at Chris and Arthur, which I kind of like so far, but I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing. Should I be doing more training mode or going online and getting owned over and over? Nobody can stand to play me more than once in player matches; that's how bad I am.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 1, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

PalmTreeFun posted:

I'm having trouble coming up with a good team. I'd love to having a zoning team, but my execution is rear end and I can't really seem to find any good combinations of characters/assists.

I've been doing pretty okay with Ghost Rider (Heartless Spire)/Dormammu (Dark Hole)/Doom (Hidden Missiles). Not too high a learning curve, great anchor, and all the breathing room you'll ever need. Feel free to substitute Doom with Dante (Jam Session) if you want more speed and vertical control though.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 1, 2012

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

PalmTreeFun posted:

I'm having trouble coming up with a good team. I'd love to having a zoning team, but my execution is rear end and I can't really seem to find any good combinations of characters/assists. Even with the Brady guide I really feel like I'm not getting anything out of training mode. I can't do anything more complex than LMHS xx sj. MMHS OTG xx super, not even the basic BNB's in the guide. I've been looking at Chris and Arthur, which I kind of like so far, but I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing. Should I be doing more training mode or going online and getting owned over and over? Nobody can stand to play me more than once in player matches; that's how bad I am.
I think you should go with a team of stronger characters to pick up the basics of zoning and learning matchups (like 404's team above) before going back to Chris and Arthur, who are harder to use imo and Arthur's 850k health makes him much easier to kill. Some of the other characters you could look into are Sentinel and Taskmaster, who have good assists for zoning and can do some zoning while active too.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

A tip I would give for zoning teams is to not build a team that is JUST zoning. Obviously zoning is strong but you have to have the ability to chase someone down if it comes down to it. I win a lot of games against people who just try to zone cause I take down 2 of their characters, they're down to their anchor, and they just can't do anything with him on offense.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
I realized that I really like using characters in fighting games with heavily loop-based BnBs. The only character I've felt really comfortable with is Doom, but I'm going to give Zero a shot as well to see if the theory holds up. Are there any other characters that have similar combos? For whatever reason, loops make much more sense to me and I pick them up faster even if the loop itself requires more execution than a standard BnB.

e:vvvvvv Looking through the bible and seeing your example it looks like I was wrong about Zero's combos. :( Also wanted to clarify that my earlier comments didn't mean to imply that Doom's loops are difficult, but that I've played characters like Sakura in SF4 with some higher execution loops despite my overall poor execution.

Ixiggle fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 1, 2012

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Van Ishikawa posted:

I realized that I really like using characters in fighting games with heavily loop-based BnBs. The only character I've felt really comfortable with is Doom, but I'm going to give Zero a shot as well to see if the theory holds up. Are there any other characters that have similar combos? For whatever reason, loops make much more sense to me and I pick them up faster even if the loop itself requires more execution than a standard BnB.

zero's is loving hard unless im trying the wrong thing

ground stuff, launcher, immediate j. BBC, falling j.B, rejump j. BBC, rejump j. BB xx buster xx 623a, relaunch, finisher

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

What should i use for like, airdash cancelling normals with doom? Two buttons or double tapping directions? I've never done anything like this before, my characters have always been just chaining and stuff.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Fonzarelli posted:

What should i use for like, airdash cancelling normals with doom? Two buttons or double tapping directions? I've never done anything like this before, my characters have always been just chaining and stuff.

I've always found using two attacks to be more intuitive. It may help to think of the dash as if it were a chain attack that doesn't do damage.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Rollie the Guar posted:

You need to cancel the jump's startup to get a grounded grapple. this gives you a 3 frame, I think, window to push H. If you're getting a a TK grapple you're pressing H too late, after the jump's startup is over and you've already left the ground. The directional inputs are the exact same as a TK move, you just need to press the button earlier.

Sorry to keep coming back to this, but what is going on when my grapple misses? I do LMHS, cancel to QCF+H, and the grapple will stretch up on the side of the opponent. (This is in the corner, btw)

Toilet.Duck
Jul 13, 2006
Cleanest ever!
I'm pretty sure LMHS grapple is character specific, it works on all chars when you relaunch with S underneath from grapple kick or other OTG.

Fonzarelli posted:

What should i use for like, airdash cancelling normals with doom?

Its down to preference, most people use buttons but even someone like clockwork uses directions. I find it easier to mentally process using buttons to dash cancel since its sorta similar to rapid cancels/focus attacks/etc and also I can't double tap anywhere near as quite as I can press 2 buttons at once.

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ

Phenotype posted:

Sorry to keep coming back to this, but what is going on when my grapple misses? I do LMHS, cancel to QCF+H, and the grapple will stretch up on the side of the opponent. (This is in the corner, btw)

You can't do that, it needs to be set up in some way. Like, magic series into wesker gunshot, s, qcf+h will work. But lmhs grapple doesn't work on anyone as far as I know.

ShrewdOrganMerchant
Apr 26, 2008

Please stop doing that.
Anyone using Doctor Strange? I just switched out Hawkeye for Strange on the third slot of my Joe/Frank team, and the improvement has been tremendous. Plus, he's just so loving fun to play! Here's what I'm using for his BnB:

Daggers of Denak(M), Teleport(M), M, IMPACT PALM!, Grace of Hoggoth(M), Grace of Hoggoth(M), Flames of the Faltine, (j. M, j. M, j. H, j. Impact Palm) x4, Impact Palm, S, j. MMHS, Spell of Vishanti

It's a little tricky at first, but the timing on the palm loop is surprisingly easy once you get used to it.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

ShrewdOrganMerchant posted:

Anyone using Doctor Strange? I just switched out Hawkeye for Strange on the third slot of my Joe/Frank team, and the improvement has been tremendous. Plus, he's just so loving fun to play! Here's what I'm using for his BnB:

Daggers of Denak(M), Teleport(M), M, IMPACT PALM!, Grace of Hoggoth(M), Grace of Hoggoth(M), Flames of the Faltine, (j. M, j. M, j. H, j. Impact Palm) x4, Impact Palm, S, j. MMHS, Spell of Vishanti

It's a little tricky at first, but the timing on the palm loop is surprisingly easy once you get used to it.

One that I have as my bnb is just whatever into a launcher, j.MMH delayed Impact Palm, (j.m, j.m, j.h, impact palm) x2, H, impact, S, j.MMH, Impact, delayed S, Spell of Vishanti

It does around 600k depending on what you start it with and you can get it going with anything you can chain into a launcher

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I'm trying out doom as his beam assist is exactly what I need but christ is he infuriating. The forward down dash after a foot dive is driving me nuts, a lot of the time I either get nothing or an aerial switch. Why the hell can't you switch it if in training.

And while I'm complaining about minor over sights, why when I create a game do I not get an audible alert to tell me someone has joined like pretty much every other game does?

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Mega Comrade posted:

The forward down dash after a foot dive is driving me nuts, a lot of the time I either get nothing or an aerial switch. Why the hell can't you switch it if in training.

You can kill off your other two characters and practice combos without being able to TAC. I wouldn't recommend it though as you are likely to learn some bad habits.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Whoops, double post

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 2, 2012

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm trying out doom as his beam assist is exactly what I need but christ is he infuriating. The forward down dash after a foot dive is driving me nuts, a lot of the time I either get nothing or an aerial switch. Why the hell can't you switch it if in training.

I have super poor execution, but i can do the foot-foot dive loop consistently. I actually found out that I was moving too fast for my own good. The dives have to be done fast, but not lightning quick. Slow way down and pick up the tempo until it combos; it'll probably be slower than you think (and slow enough for your left hand to keep up).

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

How could you be getting an aerial exchange after trying to df.airdash a footdive? Your finger should never be touching S.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Mega Comrade posted:

And while I'm complaining about minor over sights, why when I create a game do I not get an audible alert to tell me someone has joined like pretty much every other game does?

Not a perfect solution, but I just press A to ready up and presume the other person will ready up if the connection is good enough. That way the music changes on the character select screen automatically.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

PalmTreeFun posted:

Doing mission mode can help your execution. You should play mission mode until you can do some more complex stuff. If you don't everyone online will wipe the floor with you and the game won't be very fun.

In mission mode focus on doing the combo piece by piece. For example, one of Ryu's mission mode combos is something like L M H f+H then his reverse shoryuken wallbounce kick move. You'll probably have trouble with the wallbounce move so practice everything up to and including it until you can do it 10 times in a row before you move on to the rest of the combo. If you practice the combos that way your execution will improve.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Cat Machine posted:

How could you be getting an aerial exchange after trying to df.airdash a footdive? Your finger should never be touching S.

Oh for fucks sake I'm such an idiot. This entire time I've been trying to cancel s foot dive, didn't realise he had 2 varieties. That will teach me for not going into command list.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Mega Comrade posted:

Oh for fucks sake I'm such an idiot. This entire time I've been trying to cancel s foot dive, didn't realise he had 2 varieties. That will teach me for not going into command list.

Well, you can cancel the S footdive, and you actually need to for the foot foot dive loop (either in the corner or mid screen). And i had a lot of problems air exchanging when i was learning to do f.H S xx ADDF. But yeah, for Buktooth, you should be using f.H xx ADDF.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
I'm running Iron Fist/Hawkeye/Strider and I'm having a major problem. That is my Strider is complete rear end. Right now he's pretty much just an assist, what are his midscreen and corner go to combos? The ones I've found online either do completely poo poo damage for 1 meter (430k? What the...) or are ridiculously complex and my execution is also rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

ArcticZombie posted:

I'm running Iron Fist/Hawkeye/Strider and I'm having a major problem. That is my Strider is complete rear end. Right now he's pretty much just an assist, what are his midscreen and corner go to combos? The ones I've found online either do completely poo poo damage for 1 meter (430k? What the...) or are ridiculously complex and my execution is also rear end.

Go into Mission mode with him and practice some of them. They'll help you a lot. Getting down the Formation B OTG is really important. For me he's an assist and an anchor so I don't bother trying to find synergistic assists for him. Pop XF, activate Orbs and go to town.

Learn some resets because those are really important for him. As you've seen his basic damage output isn't all that great so resets are key. However he has arguably the best teleports in the game which you can combine with his animals for some good mixups.

• Locked thread