Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Lone Rogue posted:

I guess you've never heard of Dynamite Kid...
Do you mean him and Rougeau? I remember it (and other stories of Dynamite Kid being an rear end in a top hat), but I'm saying there was a locker room full of steroid freaks that run the risk of hurting each other badly as part of their job, and people weren't sent to the hospital every show. Roids and coke do not leave you cool, calm and collected like dat dubblo sebben, and even with the bad blood between a lot of wrestlers it seems like violence wasn't a regular occurrence backstage. That surprises me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

With all the steroid use back in those days, I'm actually shocked that there aren't more stories of serious confrontations backstage. How did they manage to get roided up in that kind of locker room, spend every night pretending to want to kill each other, and not wind up with serious assaults and the like? Even just a too-stiff chop or a sloppy suplex could have sent one of them into a fury.

I remember hearing that Savage was psychotically "protective" of Elizabeth. Did anything ever come of that? Did anyone end up with broken bones because they dared to talk to her?

For one she ended up leaving the business and afraid for her life in the early 90s due to years of his psychological (and probably physical) abuse.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

Do you mean him and Rougeau? I remember it (and other stories of Dynamite Kid being an rear end in a top hat), but I'm saying there was a locker room full of steroid freaks that run the risk of hurting each other badly as part of their job, and people weren't sent to the hospital every show. Roids and coke do not leave you cool, calm and collected like dat dubblo sebben, and even with the bad blood between a lot of wrestlers it seems like violence wasn't a regular occurrence backstage. That surprises me.

It shouldn't. Steroids doesn't make you a psycho. It just makes you more of what you are. Strong people become stronger, angry people become angrier. It's an injection of synthetic testosterone. The idea of roid rage has become so comically misinterpreted by society that I don't blame you for thinking that mixing these guys with coke is going to cause a whirling dirvish of violence but that's not really the case. There's always a caste system.

The reason you wouldn't have a bunch of lunatics starting fights with everyone is like I said, there's always someone tougher in that locker room. There were a few bullies like Dynamite Kid but you'll notice that Kid never tried to fight Harley Race, Haku, Andre the Giant or Bad News Brown. Hell, he picked Jacques because Raymond was a legit boxer. In the end he still got his and it got Jacques eternal respect from the guys who were not tough enough to stand up to Dynamite Kid. Though one wonders how much Honky Tonk Man deserved his shots.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

apsouthern posted:

Are there any other moves that were created by happy accident? I know the DDT was one, but there's presumably more.

AJ Styles said that the Styles clash was a botched something or other from when he was a backyarder, if I'm not mixing up my stories.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Can't find a source but iirc he said he was watching some kids backyard wrestling and came up with the Styles Clash when one kid was trying to do a powerbomb but couldn't lift his opponent all the way up.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lone Rogue posted:

Though one wonders how much Honky Tonk Man deserved his shots.

A lot. Honky Tonk is a huge pussy who's also bitter for no reason, since he had a pretty good career and makes bank on the indies (he's one of the only guys who does).

moonshine
Dec 7, 2001

the holocaust literally never happened
Who all has made a turn this year? My son and I were trying to figure it out...

Alicia Fox
Natalya
Beth Phoenix
Christian
Mark Henry
Sheamus
The Usos?
Justin Gabriel?
Ezekiel Jackson
Zack Ryder
Ted Dibiase
Kane (I guess)
Did the Big Show turn? Literally can't remember...
R-Truth

Did we miss anybody? Doesn't that seem like a lot?

moonshine
Dec 7, 2001

the holocaust literally never happened
Forgot Khali but that hardly counts.

Oh yeah, and CM Punk.

Just cant think of a year with so many turns.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

CombineThresher posted:

A lot. Honky Tonk is a huge pussy who's also bitter for no reason, since he had a pretty good career and makes bank on the indies (he's one of the only guys who does).
HTM loves Claudio and helped get him to the US so he's alright with me.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Swamp Rapist posted:

Just cant think of a year with so many turns.

I'm sure the attitude era had way more per year.

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u

Web Jew.0 posted:

Can't find a source but iirc he said he was watching some kids backyard wrestling and came up with the Styles Clash when one kid was trying to do a powerbomb but couldn't lift his opponent all the way up.

If my timeline is correct, Vic Grimes was using a Styles Clash before AJ even debuted

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The DDT was also born out of a botch, according to Jake.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Mystery Opponent posted:

If my timeline is correct, Vic Grimes was using a Styles Clash before AJ even debuted

I think you'll find he liked to be called Grimey

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

apsouthern posted:

You like this

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Moose Bigelow posted:

You like this

No, I don't.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I'm sure the attitude era had way more per year.

The attitude era had more turns in one show.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Yeah, 1999 saw face/heel turns for Vince, Shane, Stephanie, Triple H, The Rock, kane, Xpac, Road Dogg, Billy Gunn, Al Snow, Chyna, Sable, Ken Shamrock, The Big Show, Test, Mark Henry, Chris Jericho, Edge, Christian, The Hardyz, 2 Cool, Bob Holly, The Acolytes and probably at least a dozen more.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

apsouthern posted:

Vince should end every promo with "Now I'm going to my mansion to eat lobster!"

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

HTM loves Claudio and helped get him to the US so he's alright with me.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. But who doesn't love Claudio? He's one of the nicest people ever.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Honky tonk man strikes me as a man who went through all the political bullshit of the wrestling world and gives no fucks as to who he offends anymore. His shoots are always entertaining and he addresses insults thrown at him. Favourite was him talking about Arn Anderson saying that Honky Tonk would have been nowhere without Hulk Hogan. He says something to the effect of "True, we all get help from friends in the business and you weren't anything but Ric Flair's Dogsbody."

I like him.

Lucyjin
Feb 14, 2010
Has there ever been a time when the WWE had a younger and more promising talent pool than it's pushing right now? How did it actually pan out?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lucyjin posted:

Has there ever been a time when the WWE had a younger and more promising talent pool than it's pushing right now? How did it actually pan out?

WWE has kinda had a young-ish talent pool for the better part of ten years, if that tells you anything.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Lucyjin posted:

I want to say they must have at one point because there's nobody under 30 whose success I would bet on except for Cody and Sin Cara.

But there's a huge cluster of established guys from 30-35.

e: And there's a very talented handful under 30. I just don't trust WWE not to gently caress them over.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 1, 2012

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lucyjin posted:

Younger? Probably not. Usually guys would be brought in to WWF/E and WCW when they were in their 30s after proving themselves in the indies, Mexico, Japan, etc. Randy Savage was 32 when he was brought in to the WWF, for example.

In terms of promising...well I'm not sure I can name more than 3 or 4 people on WWE's roster that are promising. And they've pretty much ruined one of them (Barrett)

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Lucyjin posted:

2000 had the Rock, Edge, Christian, the Hardys, X-Pac, Big Show, Essa Rios and Taka in their mid-late 20s. Angle, Regal, Jericho, Triple H, Eddie, JBL, Kane and Benoit were only 30-33. In 2002 all those guys were a little older but you also get Brock and Cena and Orton and all the young talent from WCW like Rey and Billy Kidman.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Omally posted:

Didn't Haku bite a man's nose off during a bar brawl? Or is that the joke?
Yes he did. He confirmed it a few months ago:

quote:

This leads to the question fans have been wondering about for years. Through second hand stories and whispers, we've all heard about Haku once biting someone's nose off during a fight defending the business. Did it really happen? Was it just a tall tale? As the ClubWWI.com interview continued, James Guttman asked and expected to hear it was an exaggeration. Spoiler alert - it wasn't.

"Yeah. It was in Baltimore Airport. There was a hotel there. We were staying at another hotel - the Marriot or something. There was another hotel there, though. It was hopping at the time. The music was playing and it was packed. It was during the week I believe. Me and Siva Afi went over and there were lots of babyfaces there at the bar. So we went and sat in the other corner away from them. When they were ready to close, we had a few drinks, and on our way out there were five guys just sitting there. Of course, the same thing came out. The "fake" stuff. "Hey, are you guys with those guys - wrestlers? The fake wrestlers on TV?" You know. I said, "Yeah. I'll show you." And I reached over without thinking - there are four other guys there (laughs) - grabbed his face, and bit his nose off. Then the fight started. Me and Siva kind of cleaned house there and left. I'll never forget it (laughs)."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
He also removed a mans eye

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I always really liked Haku.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Now he's a car spa manager. :haw:

http://www.davidmaustoyota.com/dealership/staff.htm

45ShadesOfDeath
Sep 7, 2004
Worst goon in the universe.

Bocc Kob posted:

Now he's a car spa manager. :haw:

http://www.davidmaustoyota.com/dealership/staff.htm

Linda Cooke is baked beyond comprehension...

Also, a smiling Haku still looks like he is going to kill someone.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
poo poo, I want a job there. Everyone's a manager.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, no overtime for anyone.

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch
Instead of getting fired you get tongan death gripped

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Nut Bunnies posted:

Younger? Probably not. Usually guys would be brought in to WWF/E and WCW when they were in their 30s after proving themselves in the indies, Mexico, Japan, etc. Randy Savage was 32 when he was brought in to the WWF, for example.

In terms of promising...well I'm not sure I can name more than 3 or 4 people on WWE's roster that are promising. And they've pretty much ruined one of them (Barrett)

Punk, Bryan, Ziggler, Swagger, Sheamus, Cody, Barrett, Ryder? How is Barrett ruined? He's on the up.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Szmitten posted:

Punk, Bryan, Ziggler, Swagger, Sheamus, Cody, Barrett, Ryder? How is Barrett ruined? He's on the up.

He's being pushed as a toward-the-top kind of guy now and it's great but imagine how much better off he'd be if the entire Nexus/Corre angle and everything that followed didn't make him look like a total schmuck

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Karmine posted:

He's being pushed as a toward-the-top kind of guy now and it's great but imagine how much better off he'd be if the entire Nexus/Corre angle and everything that followed didn't make him look like a total schmuck

Agreed. It's hard to give kudos to the WWE for doing a good job repairing something they never should have broke. Barrett might not be ruined but even with his recent super push, isn't anywhere near as over as he could have been.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
For perspective: For one night (I guess the week after the attack on Cena), wasn't Wade Barrett treated by the crowd as "the ace" top heel?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Barrett and the Nexus were amazingly over after the attack on Cena. If you have archives, go read the Raw GDT thread from that episode - he was immediately treated like a big deal.

Personally, I wanted Barrett to win the title immediately after that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Barrett and the Nexus were amazingly over after the attack on Cena. If you have archives, go read the Raw GDT thread from that episode - he was immediately treated like a big deal.

Personally, I wanted Barrett to win the title immediately after that.

That was a classic WWE gently caress up. Orton v. Barrett with Cena as referee. If Barrett doesn't win the title Cena gets fired.

Barrett doesn't win, Cena doesn't (really) get fired. That was one of my big "Why do I watch this poo poo?" moments.

poo poo. Barrett main evented a Pay-Per-View. That's how hot he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh God What
Apr 25, 2009
Was it ever explained or even passingly hinted who made The Text?