Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I finished Cargo. That was, uh, interesting. Not a bad game, just seemed like more of a concept than a fully fleshed out game. Also, highly :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Since tomorrow will probably be repeat sales, my Steam sale damage is (rounded slightly up in some cases):

Max Payne bundle: $3.75
Fable TLC: $2.50
Costume Quest: $3.75
Dungeons of Dredmor + DLC: $2.00
All Defense Grid DLC: $2.25
E.Y.E.: $2.50
LIMBO: $2.50
Avadon: $2.50
Aliens vs Predator: $4.00
Hard Reset: $5.00
Rock of Ages: $2.50
Bulletstorm: $5.00
Anomaly Warzone Earth: $2.50
Assassin's Creed II: $5.00
Quake 4: $5.00
Binding of Isaac: $1.25
Chronicles of Riddick: $5.00
Fallout New Vegas: $5.00
Puzzle Agent 2: $2.50
Magicka + all DLC: $6.25
Dark Void Zero: $1.00
Bionic Commando Rearmed: $3.00
Lost Planet Colonies Edition: $6.00

TOTAL SPENT: $80.00, if my head-math is correct.

On one hand, that's like 1 1/3 new full-price games nowadays, and I stuck to my guns on only buying low-priced, heavily discounted wishlisted stuff. On the other... I didn't do very well. :(

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
This month was, as one might expect, made of doom, but not for the reason I expected going in. Instead of doing a chonology, let's instead sort by category.
  • Games I already had, that I beat: 7. Puzzle Agent 2 (bad), Trauma (bad), The Binding of Isaac (pretty good), Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 (eh), Crusader: No Remorse (:black101:), Bastion (really solid), Rayman 1 (:gonk:).
  • Games I bought on purpose before the holiday sales: 1. Specifically, Shank, which I got the HIB 4 just for.
  • Games I bought from GOG's holiday sale: 7. The Zork Anthology (of which Zork Zero, Beyond Zork, and Planetfall I have not beaten and thus which are officially backlogged), Crusader: No Regret (because No Remorse was good enough to follow through), Raptor: Call of the Shadows (a terrible idea, don't do it), Planescape: Torment (which I've never played), and Ground Control.
  • Stuff I bought on purpose because I've had it wishlisted for ages and Steam put it on megasale: 6. Just Cause 2, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Revelations, Sonic Generations, LA Noire, Street Fighter IV .
  • Stuff I didn't ask for but was either gifted, granted as bonuses, or won as prizes: 6. The HIB expanded to include Crayon Physics Deluxe and Hammerfight, I was gifted Dungeon Defenders, The Last Express, and Professor Layton and the Last Specter, and I won Eufloria in the Winter Event.
  • Shameful impulse purchases on Steam: 2. Realm of the Diggle Gods DLC (SEVENTY FOUR CENTS OF SHAME, folded into Dredmor), EDGE, and Who's That Flying.
  • Stuff I got in the sale and then beat before the sale was over: 3. EDGE, Sonic Generations, and Raptor: Call of the Shadows.

Net backlog change: 7+6+6+1 = 20 new games, with 7+3 = 10 games completed this month, for a net increase of 10, and at least one or two more to come before the Steam Sale is over - but those may end up being NULL games, and that's for January anyway. My actual wishlist, as opposed to padding to qualify for the final drawing, has been pretty much eradicated. Total damage is around $120, but that also includes spending Christmas money.

And, as casually mentioned above, I blew through all of Raptor, EDGE's normal levels and beat the main game Sonic Generations. Raptor was pretty awful; Tyrian has it beat in basically every way. EDGE I can take or leave. Sonic Generations was so good. This is the first 3D Sonic I've played that had the feel of the old-school ones. Apparently this is because they stole the good parts from Sonic Unleashed, which I skipped.

I've been trying for some time to play Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade but it's been making it hard for me. I didn't sign on to graphic adventures to wander through mazes and play hunt the pixel with an interface so bad you have to actually enter a special mode to pixel hunt. Eesh.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Aaaaaaa! Awesome, AI War: Fleet Command, Alien Breed 3: Descent, Beat Hazard, BIT.TRIP.BEAT, Defense Grid: The Awakening DLC: You Monster! ,Demolition Inc., Dungeon Defenders - Etherian Holiday Extravaganza, Dungeon Defenders - Halloween Mission Pack, Dungeon Defenders - Lost Eternia Shards Complete DLC. Dungeon Defenders - New Heroes DLC, Dungeon Defenders - The Great Turkey Hunt! Mission and Costumes DLC, Dungeon Defenders - Warping Core Challenge Mission Pack DLC, Dungeon Defenders - With DLC 1, Dungeons of Dredmor: Realm of the Diggle Gods, E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy, Fate of the World, Frozen Synapse - Two Pack, Grand Theft Auto Complete Pack, Greed Corp, Guardians of Graxia, Hard Reset (RoW), Jamestown, Magicka: Gamer Bundle, Magicka: Holiday Spirit Item Pack, Magicka: Horror Props Item Pack, Magicka: The Stars Are Left, Monday Night Combat, Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword, Mount and Blade: Warband, Nuclear Dawn, Post Apocalyptic Mayhem, Psychonauts, Rock of Ages, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky (ROW), Sanctum Holiday DLC, Sanctum: Survival Kit, Sequence, Serious Sam 3 BFE, Solar 2, Space Pirates and Zombies(SPAZ), SpaceChem, Swords and Soldiers HD, The Polynomial, Toki Tori, Universe Sandbox, Worms Reloaded and finally X3 Albion Prelude.

Grand total of $157.01

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I got through this month without too much damage, even with the Steam and GOG sales.

Bought
- Orcs Must Die
- Chantelise
- You Monster (DLC campaign for Defence Grid)
- Realm of the Diggle Gods (expansion for Dungeons of Dredmor)
- Jamestown
- Splinter Cell: Conviction
- Hard Reset (I've already beaten it; brevity is its only virtue. Avoid.)

Gifted
- Bastion (also already beaten; recommended)
- Nuclear Dawn (multiplayer-only and thus null)
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution

(I also handed out Portal 2 and Wolfenstein as gifts, but those don't increase my backlog! Hah!)

I also beat Dead Space 2 this month (it's ok, but DS1 was better overall even considering that a third of the weapons were useless), so that's a total increase of five in the backlog. I'm already most of the way through Jamestown, though.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I managed to resist and didn't actually buy myself anything at all but I was gifted: Skyrim, Assasin's Creed, Dead Island, LA Noire, Limbo and Chantelise. Still, not bad considering how bad I normally get during these sales, and I'm using Skyrim as a carrot on a stick of sorts since I've banned myself from playing it until I finish New Vegas and at least two other full length games.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Faerie Fortune posted:

I managed to resist and didn't actually buy myself anything at all but I was gifted: Skyrim, Assasin's Creed, Dead Island, LA Noire, Limbo and Chantelise. Still, not bad considering how bad I normally get during these sales, and I'm using Skyrim as a carrot on a stick of sorts since I've banned myself from playing it until I finish New Vegas and at least two other full length games.

Who'd you blow to get someone to gift you Skyrim, Dead Island, and LA Noire? :stare: (obviously they're not the same person but I don't think many people would spend double-digit $$$ on me)

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
So after picking up another 30ish games or so between the Steam sale and GoG's sale, I'm done. Officially. My :airquote: New Year's Resolution :airquote: is to completely stop buying games unless my Backloggery unfinished percentage goes under 20%, ideally even less. Just with one small caveat that my current wishlist games are exempt from this, but ONLY if they go on sale for at least 75% off and/or are under 15 bucks for the more recent AAA titles. I have no idea how long it's going to take me, but I'm sure as hell gonna try to climb this huge backlog, dammit.

I finished a couple games recently, The Blackwell Legacy (short but decent), WH40K DoWII Retribution (surprisingly fun but was kinda disappointed that the campaign is basically exactly the same for all races), and Puzzle Agent 2 (a fun way to spend a couple hours). Next is... I have no idea, I'm kind of overwhelmed with my selection!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Morter posted:

Who'd you blow to get someone to gift you Skyrim, Dead Island, and LA Noire? :stare: (obviously they're not the same person but I don't think many people would spend double-digit $$$ on me)

My girlfriend got me Skyrim (ans Assassin's Creed) as a christmas gift, a friend of mine got me Dead Island and LA Noire while they were on sale yesterday in exchange for me baking him a shitton of cookies and cakes. So those were less of a gift really, and more of a payment.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
loving Steam Sales.

Bought:
L.A. Noire
HOARD
BIT.TRIP.BEAT
Grid
Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale (NA)
Puzzle Agent 2
Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012
Universe Sandbox
Super Meat Boy
X3 Gold 2011
Puzzle Quest: Galactrix
Audiosurf
AI War Bundle
Two Tribes Pack
Wasteland Angel
Space Pirates and Zombies(SPAZ)
Dungeon Defenders (All DLC)
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
Cities in Motion Complete
Aaaaaaa! Awesome
Fate of the World
Bastion
Worms Complete Pack
SegaPack
id Software Pack
Star Wars Collection - Summer 2011
Painkiller: Black Edition
Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition
E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy
Super Indie Bundle
Awesome Indie Bundle
Mega Indie Bundle

Won:
Portal 2
Vegas - Make It Big
NINE THOUSAND loving COUPONS.

Trade:
Frozen Synapse

Mmann
Dec 1, 2007

Kyoon Was Right
12/21/12
Steam Sale Damage Report and Repair Log: 1/1/12

Bought on Steam:
-Gothic 1-3
-Zeno Clash
-Disciples II
-Dungeons: The Dark Lord
-Hard Reset
-Blocks that Matter
-Everyday Genius
-E.Y.E
-Edge
-Avadon
-Psychonauts
-Humble Bundle 4

Three of those were impulse purchases, and I really should have avoided a couple of them. The only impulse purchase I don't think I'll regret is Dungeons - which I only got because it was too good a deal.
My girlfriend wanted it, and the twin pack was only 1$ more than buying a single copy so I ended up with a copy too. But it hs multiplayer so we can play it together, which will be nice.
I'm not saying any of the other impulse purchases are bad games (Psychonauts, Hard Reset) but I really shouldn't be adding to my backlog at all no matter how good the games are.

Bought on GoG:
-Ultima 1-7 + Underworld 1&2
-Baldurs Gate
-Baldurs Gate 2
-Icewind Dale
-Icewind Dale 2
-Realms of Arkania 1&2
-Realms of Arkania 3
-Betrayal at Krondor Pack

Holy poo poo why did I buy all this?
I'll never have time for all of those RPGs.

Won/Traded For/Gifts:
-Silverfall+Earth Awakening
-L.A. Noire
-Deus Ex: HR
-Eversion
-Space Empires IV/V
-Xotic
-A Farewell to Dragons
-Pendulo Adventure Pack
-Fable: The Lost Chapters
-Morrowind
-Grotesque Tactics 2 (:smithicide:)
-Time of Shadows
-Hazen

I really had no control over this.
I could have declined the gifts or not traded games I won but already owned for ones I didn't.. but why?

Games I Beat
-Dragon Age: Origins+Awakening, and all DLC
-Darksiders
-Limbo
-Rush
-Eversion
-Edge
-Grotesque Tactics
-Jamestown

Though it isn't really that much progress since some of the games I beat are fairly new additions to my list, it does help keep the backlog from getting too much longer.

All that's left now is to try and set up some sort of New Years Backlog resolution and pick out some new games to start playing since I've gotten done my last couple of batches faster than I thought I would during the winter break.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh god, I fell off the wagon right at the end and got AaaaA FTA, Star Ruler, and Cargo on Steam and Crusader and Wing Commander 3 on GOG.

:negative:

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
My toxx begins today. This is going to be a huge bummer if I haven't completed anything and a good sale comes up where I'm able to use a coupon. :-(

Wish me luck, fellas. Time to beat some video games!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I got about 50-55 games throughout this sale.

Well, at least I beat a game today.

Zombie Driver, a game I got at its launch. Dec 4, 2009

:smithicide:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Mmann posted:

-A Farewell to Dragons

This is one of the worst wRPGs I've ever played. Good luck!

Redwinters
Jan 2, 2012

ask me about non-consensual batsex

Sporkles posted:

So after picking up another 30ish games or so between the Steam sale and GoG's sale, I'm done. Officially. My :airquote: New Year's Resolution :airquote: is to completely stop buying games unless my Backloggery unfinished percentage goes under 20%, ideally even less.

I need to steal that resolution. I think I have maybe 10 games on my list I actually completed.

Out of 123 Games. :smithicide:

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Figured I'd give Limbo a go since it's not too long and I hadn't finished it previously.

This game is so boring. I can't put my finger on why, exactly, I'm not enjoying it at all, but man... I can't wait until I'm finished.

I think some of it's because a lot of the "puzzles" seem to be set up to where you WILL die the first time, then you go "oooooooooohhhh, okay if that loving thing wasn't black like every other set piece I would have seen that!"

I'm not a fan of this black and gray gimmick that was used to create ambiance.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
You guys are terrible at this. I'll keep posting because I think I'm the only one that isn't buying more games then finishing.

In the ~4 days since my last post:

Completed: Half-Life: Great shooter, I really enjoyed playing it but it seemed to just keep on going.
Completed: Half-Life: Opposing Force: It was good, didn't enjoy it as much as Half Life but better then many modern shooters I've played.
Completed: Half-Life: Blue Shift: Nailed it, I loved blue shift. I liked it more then both Opposing Force and the original Half-Life.
Completed: Samorost 2: The only thing good about it was the art style and how short it was.
Completed: Sam & Max 201: Ice Station Santa Another Sam & Max episode
Beat: The Ultimate DOOM: Nostalgia with the first episode, but had never played the rest. I used zdoom to play rather then through Steam, which uses dosbox I think. There are some pretty difficult maps in the final two episodes.
Completed: Machinarium: From the same guys that made Samorost. I don't know why I have so many adventure games in my backlog considering I don't even particularly enjoy them.
Completed: Sam & Max 202: Moai Better Blues: Sam & Max is the exception though, another episode down.
Beat: Section 8: Prejudice: Enjoyable enough. See my rant below.

I only purchased one game in the Steam sales and that was Bastion for $5, I figure I had done so well with my backlog over the last month that I think I deserved it.

Warning, rant ahead.

It was quite interesting to play ~17 years of FPS in a couple of days. Doom released in 1993, Half Life in 1998 and then Section 8 in 2011. In almost 20 years the only noticeable "improvement" was the visuals, which, once you get immersed into the game isn't even really a big deal.

The major difference was that the difficulty has just hit rock bottom. In Doom I died many times and there is always decision making whether you should rush through and hopefully conserve some ammo and get through quicker or kill everyone and perhaps find secret stashes to offset the ammo used. This is especially true of the later episodes which I was playing for the first time and didn't know the maps. I also got stuck multiple times trying to find the right key.

In Half-Life I had to quick save constantly because again, I didn't know the maps and behind every corner could be my death (in most cases it was). I died constantly. Some parts would take 3 or 4 tries to get to learn the locations of enemies and making sure I didn't use too much ammo or suffer too much damage. I never knew when the next health pack or ammo stash would be.

Then we have Section 8: Prejudice. There was never any sense of fear, no need to conserve health or ammo. Shields regenerate and armor can be repaired with a tool which has infinite charge. I also knew every couple of minutes one of those supply machines would fall from the sky to offer me my choice of load-out. Any gun I had unlocked with full ammo. The only times I died was when I had obviously picked the wrong load-out for the job and would just suicide for fun instead of just hitting "revert to last checkpoint". Then I would refit for the situation and fly on through it. Maps were just corridors with nothing to do but go forward, no puzzles, no key collecting, nothing. Why bother even putting walls in the way or get creative with obstacles when you can just paint the minimap red where you can't go and flash the screen red. "You have [5] seconds to return" before you are killed.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I won't post my sale haul, but between things I bought myself, gifts received and coal trading, it's about 25 games :smithicide:

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Xik posted:

You guys are terrible at this. I'll keep posting because I think I'm the only one that isn't buying more games then finishing.

I freely admit I'm on more of a binge-and-purge cycle. But hey, this isn't "Wherein we play through our social buying habit".

I'm noticing you beat nine games in four days. That's drat impressive. Do you have a by-hours breakdown for that? Or had you been playing a ton of them in parallel?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Guys, I did it. I beat Limbo. I actually finished another game from my backlog!

Overall I think the game's fun for a one time play-through. The main difficulty in solving any of the puzzles comes back to the artistic direction the game took. There were a few puzzles where, once I figured it out, I said "man, I'm dumb" for overlooking an obvious answer but many of them were strictly timing based.

It was worth the 2.50 I paid for it. I would have felt ripped off for paying over 5 bucks though.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

ManxomeBromide posted:

I'm noticing you beat nine games in four days. That's drat impressive. Do you have a by-hours breakdown for that? Or had you been playing a ton of them in parallel?

Impressive or sad? :ohdear:

I almost always play one game at a time, from start to finish. I'm on holiday at the moment so I can get away with basically just playing video games all day, normally I wouldn't have a chance of finishing that much.

I can give you the hours Steam says I played each game for, although I question the accuracy of some of them, it feels like I played a couple of them for longer:

Half-Life: 14 Hours
Half-Life: Opposing Force: 6 Hours
Half-Life: Blue Shift: 3 Hours
Samorost 2: 1 Hour
Sam & Max 201: Ice Station Santa 90 minutes
The Ultimate DOOM: Unknown, played via zdoom and not Steam. Probably a few hours max.
Machinarium: 3 Hours
Sam & Max 202: Moai Better Blues: 70 minutes
Section 8: Prejudice: 4 Hours

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Holy gently caress. I actually finished a full length RPG. First one since like FFVII or something. Avadon: The Black Fortress is really good. Took me about 50 hours, but I was pretty thorough with exploring. I'm pretty sure I got one of the worst endings, after failing several times to succeed at getting a different ending, and there seems to be a lot of them available so I'll likely put a couple hours into tidying up some loose ends so I can feel like the badass I should have been. Nonetheless, the climax to the game is awesome, with plot strings all coming together much more neatly and entertainingly than I was expecting. The game is really good for making you feel as though your actions have impact on the world, too, and the ending gives you piles and piles of story on how things turned out after your journeys, which also encourages me to want to go back to it and see what else I can make of the world. Still, I'm calling this a solid victory and I'm looking forward to playing the Geneforge saga.

Unfortunately, I'm failing on the not-buying-new-games part of the program - Geneforge is 5 new long rear end RPGs on its own, and there's a bunch of other FPS types I picked up over the sale too... Still, one game down is one game down.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Xik posted:

:words:
Your fallacy here was judging an entire era and genre by one game, which would be like me saying I don't like horror movies after only watching One Missed Call.

If you're looking for something more like Doom (I know I really shouldn't be recommending new games) then I'd heartily recommend the Serious Sam HD remakes, and/or the first Painkiller.

Back on subject, I got X3: Gold Pack gifted to me as well. I'm not sure if I should work on Golding Arkham City, which could take quite some time to finish all the challenge maps, or just moving on.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nickhimself posted:

Guys, I did it. I beat Limbo. I actually finished another game from my backlog!

Overall I think the game's fun for a one time play-through. The main difficulty in solving any of the puzzles comes back to the artistic direction the game took. There were a few puzzles where, once I figured it out, I said "man, I'm dumb" for overlooking an obvious answer but many of them were strictly timing based.

It was worth the 2.50 I paid for it. I would have felt ripped off for paying over 5 bucks though.

You wouldn't happen to have a save game file for Limbo you could upload for me, would you?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I got myself the indie royale, and the latest humble indie bundle. Then I got Recettear, the Kings Bounty Collection and my friends gifted me Terraria and Binding of Isaac. I managed to resist a lot but there are so many games that take so long to finish.
Plus now me and all my roommates have Dota2 :negative:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Colon V posted:

Your fallacy here was judging an entire era and genre by one game, which would be like me saying I don't like horror movies after only watching One Missed Call.

If you're looking for something more like Doom (I know I really shouldn't be recommending new games) then I'd heartily recommend the Serious Sam HD remakes, and/or the first Painkiller.

I have to say, I kind of agree with him. Painkiller is seven years old at this point. The new Wolfenstein came out in 2009 and Activision seems to wish everyone would forget about it and play Singularity instead. Serious Sam is still around...but can you think of any others?

And even then, those are more like Doom in the gunplay than in the level design. The levels themselves are straightforward linear runs through a series of arena battles. Fun as hell arena battles, granted, but there's no comparison to the degree of complexity you'd see in a Doom, Quake, or Descent map.

To some extent this is welcome - one thing I do not miss about Descent is spending hours scouring a 3d rat's warren for the yellow key - but one thing I really do miss is the sense of exploration. Choosing which hall to go down next, gradually mapping out the level until navigating it is second nature, and having actual loops and interconnections in the level so that it feels more like a place and less like a planned-out series of events. No matter how fun the actual combat is, level design these days even in the "old-school" FPSes seems to have moved to the "linear sequence of rooms" model over the "sprawling, interconnected building" model, and the closest you can get to the latter is playing something "open-world" like STALKER, or something with more of an FPS-RPG bent like Fallout: New Vegas or Deus Ex: HR.

(and while I love DXHR, even its levels seem to have lost a lot of the sprawling openness that characterized DX1's levels)

Oh god please prove me wrong and expand my backlog terribly with game recommendations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Because I'm smart I went for the perfect ending in Cave Story even though this is my first time playing the game, so the last section is pretty much kicking my butt. Kind of like in Blocks That Matter. I hope this doesn't become a routine.

Along with Alice and Bastion, I have been playing those three on and off in the past few weeks. Now I started Psychonauts and BioShock on top of those. Welp.

I finished Saints Row 3. There are a couple of Hard activities I haven't finished, but I'll be back to them later, so I'm marking it just as Beaten for now. Awesome game through and through.

Wezlar posted:

I got games and it's terrible :negative:

Firs world problems, mate? Just go play them.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Kneel Before Zog posted:

You wouldn't happen to have a save game file for Limbo you could upload for me, would you?

If you know where I can find it, I can upload it.

Just finished MW3 this morning!

So far on my Toxx that's:

Skyrim
Limbo
CoD MW3

3/5 finished. Gotta hurry up and figure out what I want to complete next, school starts next week!

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Firs world problems, mate? Just go play them.
Oh I do! I just seem to keep getting games that seemingly never end instead of knocking off ones that do.

nickhimself posted:

3/5 finished. Gotta hurry up and figure out what I want to complete next, school starts next week!

Link your backloggery, you've gotta have some easy stuff!

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Redwinters posted:

I need to steal that resolution. I think I have maybe 10 games on my list I actually completed.

Out of 123 Games. :smithicide:

Don't feel too bad. According to wastedonsteam I've got over 60% of the games on my account with no time played. :suicide:

Some of them are new (I bought way to much this sale), some are from packs and a few predate time tracking , but it's a pretty terrible stat. I have < an hour played on a bunch of others.

I have been getting a bit better at actually playing things to completion, beating Skyrim, Saints Row 3, Mass Effect 2, Eversion and Puzzle Agent since the end of November (along with Uncharted 3 on PS3). I've been attempting to at work through the things I bought for nearly full price first.

I'm going to attempt to get backloggery back up to speed and enter into complete lockdown mode and not buy anything new (with the exception of diablo 3 that I payed for months ago) until I've beaten at least 50% of the games I own that are actually beatable. This will be quite an accomplishment if I manage to achieve it, since I have 370 games on my account at the moment. At least my average purchase price is <$4!

Anyway, I'm working on Fallout: New Vegas at the moment, and it is great, but the fact that I enjoy all of the 25 hr+ RPGs really diminishes my completion numbers. Also, if you play this game you should try the Project Nevada mod. Bullet Time is better and more fun than VATS, and most of the other changes seem logical and fun without being obtrusive. I'm using it for my first play through and really like it.

I'll probably head to Puzzle Agent 2 next then Dawn of War II, skip over to Halo: Reach on the Xbox 360, then perhaps randoms for a bit unless something strikes my fancy.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 3, 2012

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Edit: Whoa, I didn't realize this was as long as it was until I hit "post". No need to read or respond if you don't care about Xik's rant. Sorry, guys. :sweatdrop:

Xik posted:

Warning, rant ahead.

While I realize what your worries are about in terms of difficulty, I don't think this is the sign of the times. I just think you chose the wrong games to give examples of.

The major difference between Doom and Section 8: Prejudice is the core gameplay behind it. In Doom: you're just trying to survive as best as you can, while S8:P's campaign literally served as an introduction to multiplayer. And their multiplayer was completely aware that their player would die many times (Because one of the things the game touts is its dynamic spawn mechanic). So that's why the player isn't in fear of death: because it's a natural thing that happens in multiplayer, as is choosing your own loadout and everything.

I think a more modern example is Hard Reset. Like old school games, it relies on health and ammo pickups, with only the barely helpful "armor" regenerating between battles. It's a somewhat linear game (at least in the beginning. I haven't gotten far), but the only way you'll live is by surviving each and every onslaught to the end. No cheap way of living or making things easier. Hell, in fact, unlike Doom or Half-Life, it doesn't have the luxury of quick-saves, but in fact uses checkpoints.

But yeah, things have changed. I suppose in a way that doesn't force gamers to scrounge for health or hug along walls for secrets ala Doom or Duke, which sounds like it wouldn't be fun to do on a 360 controller, things are made a bit less obtuse for console gamers. But at the same time, FPS' aren't the same anymore in general. Now whenever we have a simple "Shoot your guns and get to the exit" game, we call it old-school, or a throwback to any 90's shooter. But now with gimmicks, in-game objectives and features, and usually a complex or time-sinking multiplayer that has features introduced to you by single-player, there's a lot more to put the player through than running and gunning.

But there are certainly current shooters you can immerse yourself in. You just have to look harder than a multiplayer shooter's single player campaign. :buddy:

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nickhimself posted:

If you know where I can find it, I can upload it.

Just finished MW3 this morning!

So far on my Toxx that's:

Skyrim
Limbo
CoD MW3

If its not in my documents i'm assuming you have the steam version.

Program Files\Steam\userdata\<some number>\48000\remote

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Wezlar posted:

Link your backloggery, you've gotta have some easy stuff!

Here is his actual games list.

He seems to like his FPS's and RPG's judging by playtime on them - so I won't suggest either to be evil.

I'd vote for Batman: Arkham Asylum. It takes 15-20 hours to complete and the graphics are very nice.

Na I don't want to be a dick since you've gifted me Limbo as well as Swords and Soldiers HD, so my other suggestion is an action FPS but it's one I don't have and haven't played before. I heard it's a great game though.

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Here is my completed saved game file if it's any use. I don't know where the best place is to upload small files so I went with the first hit on Google.

Mr Right fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 3, 2012

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well guys, I survived the Steam sale with minimal casualties. I was gifted Hard Reset, Dead Space, and Sequence. Sequence I tried and it really didn't click for me. I played for the winter sale achievement but probably won't pick it up after that. I did, however, beat Hard Reset on Normal difficulty. It was actually a pretty fun game. I don't think I'll do another playthrough of it, but for a one time off game I got 6 hours of enjoyment out of it. It did end rather abruptly. Overall I'd give this game a recommendation and say if you have it in your backlog and are looking to mow down hordes of enemies and the occasional boss fight, pick it up.

Up next on my list is Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. I picked this one because it seemed interesting and I got it in some sort of pack a while ago with Far Cry 2, R6: Vegas 2, and some other Ubisoft game, maybe Assassin's Creed? Anyway, I've only completed the first act but it's a very straightforward on the rails shooter. I spent about an hour and a half on the first act, and there are five acts. Should be able to complete this game in under 10 hours; it reminds me more of an interactive movie because there are cutscenes all the time (or so it feels like). Graphically it looks good, controls are average, story is mediocre, but I'm going to stick with this one and see where it goes.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Kneel Before Zog posted:

I have the steam version. Can you PM me about this? I'm about to get ready for work and I'll probably forget to do this when I get home.

In other news: I started Homefront a bit ago. Already on Chapter 3 and I guess there are 7 chapters, so I'm coming up on being halfway finished. I'll beat this tonight. I love FPS games so much

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I'm not enjoying Trine that much, and I don't know why. The game is well done, the mechanics are cool, the colors are pretty, it's polished... it just doesn't feel fun. :shobon:

Also, the constant spawning of skeletons is pretty annoying.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target
I have never beaten ANY of my Steam games, I always end up needed to wipe my hard drive, and losing all my data.

SusanosWrath fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 4, 2012

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

psychoticBacofoil posted:

I have never beaten ANY of my Steam games, I always end up needed to wipe my hard drive, and losing all my data.

SteamCloud should help with some of that.

Also, not downloading every toolbar and coupon utility might help with the other part. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

VisAbsoluta posted:

I'm not enjoying Trine that much, and I don't know why. The game is well done, the mechanics are cool, the colors are pretty, it's polished... it just doesn't feel fun. :shobon:

Are you playing it co-op and killing each other in hilarious ways?