Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Badguy posted:

Looking for a RTS game without any base building, unit construction or resource gathering. Or one where those elements play as little part as possible if such a thing doesn't exist. I just want to focus on combat strategy and not have to bother with construction queues and other babysitting tasks. Tried a little bit of Company of Heroes and enjoyed it up until it introduced barracks. The Total War games sound like they might fit the bill but I'd prefer something faster paced, closer to Command & Conquer. Have a PC and Playstation 1+2+3.

Edit: forgot that I bought Under Siege on PSN a while back but haven't installed it yet. Guess that might fit with what I'm looking for, but any other suggestions would be great.

I think the commando games are on steam for a reasonable price. They're pretty hard though, so be prepared for that. You play a squad of elite commandos behind enemy lines in WWII, they're a lot of fun.

Elman posted:

I got Jamestown from the Humble Bundle and loved it despite never playing any shoot'em ups before. I'd like to try a few more, hopefully with a similar difficulty (I want some challenge, but bullet hell games seem unplayable and they're the reason I had never tried the genre before :shobon:)

Got any recommendations?

All the great Megadrive era Sega shooters on on steam now. Super Thunder Blade, Alien Swarm, Gunstar Heroes, and Galaxy Force 2 are all quality.

0staf posted:

I've been replaying old adventure games (some i played when i was a kid, a couple i didn't), and was wondering if there are any i've missed. I've played the space quest(s), kings quest(s), monkey island(s), police quest(s), sam and max, full throttle, leisure suit larry, maniac mansion, laura bow, beneath a steel sky, day of the tentacle, zak mckraken, loom, gabriel knight and indana jones.

They don't have to be lucasarts/sierra, but that general style is good. I don't mind if it's a text parser or point and click (or musical stave), and i don't care about the subject/setting/graphics/anything else really. Something like grim fandango (although great) is newer than i was looking, you can get the kind of era from the list i gave.

Please tell me i've missed/fogotten/never heard of some great ones!

e: oh and on the PC, dosbox / scummvm / virtual machine / whatever is needed is fine

Every adventure fan should have the unique experience of being dicked over by The Last Express.

Harmonica posted:

Does anyone know of any good tactical turn-based squad management games involving shooty combat that aren't JA2, X-COM (or clones) or Silent Storm? Ideally it would be spec ops/SWAT stuff but it's such a slim genre.
101st Airborne in Normandy is a quality late 90's era WWII turn based game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Are there any games aside from Wolfenstein where the bad guy is, or can be Hitler?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
I am guessing any major ones would be listed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler_in_popular_culture#Video_games

Casaubon
Mar 28, 2010

notaaron

0staf posted:

I've been replaying old adventure games (some i played when i was a kid, a couple i didn't), and was wondering if there are any i've missed. I've played the space quest(s), kings quest(s), monkey island(s), police quest(s), sam and max, full throttle, leisure suit larry, maniac mansion, laura bow, beneath a steel sky, day of the tentacle, zak mckraken, loom, gabriel knight and indana jones.

They don't have to be lucasarts/sierra, but that general style is good. I don't mind if it's a text parser or point and click (or musical stave), and i don't care about the subject/setting/graphics/anything else really. Something like grim fandango (although great) is newer than i was looking, you can get the kind of era from the list i gave.

Please tell me i've missed/fogotten/never heard of some great ones!

e: oh and on the PC, dosbox / scummvm / virtual machine / whatever is needed is fine

Some others from the same era that haven't been mentioned: Cruise for a Corpse, Toonstruck, Sanitarium, Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist, those Lovecraft adaptations (Shadow of the Comet and Prisoner of Ice), I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Blade Runner, the last 3 Tex Murphy games.

How do you feel about first-person games with abstract puzzles, like Myst? Because there's plenty of games from the 90s like that (Myst, Riven, Obsidian, Lighthouse, Morpheus, Zork: Grand Inquisitor, Timelapse, Amerzone, the Journeyman Project series), as well as more recent games like the Rhem series which could easily have been made in the 90s.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
I'd like to find some oldschool CRPG for the holidays. Not necessary old as in <2000, but I'd like to get that "here's a dangerous world, go explore and discover stuff!"-vibe that new games rarely give. Examples of what I'd be looking for are the old Realms of Arkania and Might & Magic games. The old Lands of Lore & Eye of the Beholder-games are also out - played the former, didn't really like the latter.

I tried Darklands from Good Old Games, since I've always managed to miss that one, but to me it was really dull and uninspired - the battles were boring with relatively little interactivity, and you spent the non-fighting time just wandering around and desperately looking for something to do in an empty world. Maybe it gets better later?

Any recommendations? Is Drakensang: The Dark Eye any good? I read some pretty mixed up reviews of it. Is it freeform or is the world a linear pipe?

EDIT: To narrow it down a bit, I already played and enjoyed Risen. Haven't played the old Gothics - I tried the third, but the combat was so incredibly godawful (stunlocked by boars..) that I just gave up. Is Gothic 2 freeform or linear? Does it have the same, horrifyingly bad combat?

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 24, 2011

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Dropbear posted:

Any recommendations? Is Drakensang: The Dark Eye any good? I read some pretty mixed up reviews of it. Is it freeform or is the world a linear pipe?

EDIT: To narrow it down a bit, I already played and enjoyed Risen. Haven't played the old Gothics - I tried the third, but the combat was so incredibly godawful (stunlocked by boars..) that I just gave up. Is Gothic 2 freeform or linear? Does it have the same, horrifyingly bad combat?
If you played and liked Risen you might actually enjoy Drakensang. It's an old-school pen and paper style game with a non D&D ruleset. It's not completely free-form (you have to go to specific areas/regions in order, but it's not extremely linear either.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Dropbear posted:

I'd like to find some oldschool CRPG for the holidays. Not necessary old as in <2000, but I'd like to get that "here's a dangerous world, go explore and discover stuff!"-vibe that new games rarely give. Examples of what I'd be looking for are the old Realms of Arkania and Might & Magic games. The old Lands of Lore & Eye of the Beholder-games are also out - played the former, didn't really like the latter.

I tried Darklands from Good Old Games, since I've always managed to miss that one, but to me it was really dull and uninspired - the battles were boring with relatively little interactivity, and you spent the non-fighting time just wandering around and desperately looking for something to do in an empty world. Maybe it gets better later?

Have you tried any games in the Wizardry series? The emphasis is much more on combat rather than exploration but I think the last title, Wizardry 8, is definitely worth recommending to any RPG fan.

The Ultima series is great as well and Ultima 6, 7, and especially the Underworld and Worlds of Adventure titles are all worth trying if you can deal with the older graphics and interface.

I'd also suggest Albion, Planet's Edge, the old Dark Sun games, and Anachronox if you don't mind the jRPG style combat.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Jive One posted:

Have you tried any games in the Wizardry series? The emphasis is much more on combat rather than exploration but I think the last title, Wizardry 8, is definitely worth recommending to any RPG fan.

The Ultima series is great as well and Ultima 6, 7, and especially the Underworld and Worlds of Adventure titles are all worth trying if you can deal with the older graphics and interface.

I'd also suggest Albion, Planet's Edge, the old Dark Sun games, and Anachronox if you don't mind the jRPG style combat.

Wizardries didn't really work well for me because I always found the "techonology and cyborgs with medieval weapons and spells"-thing very silly. Have played Ultimas a bunch, the Underworlds were great!

Haven't tried Albion, Planet's Edge or those - thanks, might give some of them a go!

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Any FPS games that play like DOOM3, FEAR, Quake4, Republic Commando, or HL1? I've been dying to play another linear single-player hallway shooter but have came up blank with finding anything like them. I mostly don't care about the age of it.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Imapanda posted:

Any FPS games that play like DOOM3, FEAR, Quake4, Republic Commando, or HL1? I've been dying to play another linear single-player hallway shooter but have came up blank with finding anything like them. I mostly don't care about the age of it.

Look into Red Faction: Armageddon. Some of the complaints I've heard about it echo what you are looking for, strangely. :)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hey gents, I've recently been on mm artsy, surrealist binge and recently got my mitts through Alice: Madness Returns, The Void, Cargo and Psychonauts. Any other games that sort of enter in this (admittedly) wide category?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Flipswitch posted:

Hey gents, I've recently been on mm artsy, surrealist binge and recently got my mitts through Alice: Madness Returns, The Void, Cargo and Psychonauts. Any other games that sort of enter in this (admittedly) wide category?

Beat the average on the latest Humble Bundle and you'll get a grip of them, especially the BIT.TRIP series.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Have you tried Pathologic, by the same people who did The Void and Cargo? It's pretty surreal. Also The Path is in the same category more or less.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Imapanda posted:

Hard Reset is pretty awesome, and scratched that old school fps itch I had. That said, it is really short. But lots of fun.

Singularity is a nice length, and was real satisfying if you like the single player hallway shooters.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oddly enough, I've not tried Pathologic which is a bit strange, will have to hunt a copy of that down. Will check out The Path too, I do see it has a demo! :)

redmercer posted:

Beat the average on the latest Humble Bundle and you'll get a grip of them, especially the BIT.TRIP series.
Already played all of them. But thanks for that recommendation! Thanks guys.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
A few years ago I played through Skies of Arcadia on GameCube and loved it. From what I remember the game mechanics were pretty basic, but I loved the setting, being able to cruise around the sky as a pirate, finding the artifacts or whatnot in the sky, was pretty fun. I also enjoyed building up your hometown. Anything similar to the atmosphere of Skies? I've got everything but a PS3 for new systems, and pretty much all the old ones , but even if it is on PS3 I'd like to hear the recommendation as I'm looking to pick one up soon.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 29, 2011

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Philip Rivers posted:

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good, nontraditional JRPG? Some of my favorites are TWEWY, Infinite Space, the M&L series/SMRPG, the Mother series, Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, and FF5 and Four Heroes of Light.

Basically, I don't know what I like exactly, but I know it isn't traditional fare. Systems available to me are a DS, a Wii, a PS2 maybe, and anything from PS1/N64 backwards.

Since you have a PS2, I'd consider all the Shin Megami Tensei games are excellent non-traditional JRPG's that are worth exploring.

PS2
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
Digital Devil Saga I and II
Persona 3/Persona 4
DS
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

If you're new to the series, Persona 4 is a pretty good starting point, and it's probably the most accessible one in the SMT series. Digital Devil Sagas are loving incredible though if you're willing to put some time into understanding the systems and like a challenge.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Looking for either a full-on stock market simulator or a game which heavily features buy low/sell high trading as a central focal point of the game. I just played through The American Dream and got a bug about it. I've played Freelancer and Elite and all the space trading games, but I'd really like something that's MOSTLY about buying and selling commodities/instruments.

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

Looking for any sort of games, really, that take place in Asia - I'm pretty "gay" for anything China or Japan, though more the former than the latter. I've played Shogun 2 pretty intensively, and Civ V. I'm thinking some sort of adventure game would be neat, but I doubt it exists. I played alot of Anno 1404 just because it had the "Arab" faction, so games filled with orientalism is good as gold to me!

I would love to play some game taking place in modern Tokyo, along those lines.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

Looking for any sort of games, really, that take place in Asia - I'm pretty "gay" for anything China or Japan, though more the former than the latter. I've played Shogun 2 pretty intensively, and Civ V. I'm thinking some sort of adventure game would be neat, but I doubt it exists. I played alot of Anno 1404 just because it had the "Arab" faction, so games filled with orientalism is good as gold to me!

Yakuza 4, and the rest of the series I think are about as Japan as you can get. It's a fake Japanese city, kind of like Liberty City is modeled after a real city this one is too.

Way of the Samurai takes place in old Japan. Is kind of an action game with tons of choices and different endings and possibilities.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms completely revolves around ancient China. It's a strategy rpg I think.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

I know it's not quite what you are describing, but Persona 4 (PS2) has a really good "small japanese rural town" vibe that is just great. Also a frigging great game.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've never been able to get into the FPS genre, but I think that was largely due to my early experiences with it being mostly limited to being trounced in GoldenEye and Halo 1 multiplayer.

I played Half Life 1 up to a point (mine cart level) but didn't really enjoy it. I hate quicksaves enough that their existence as a feature is almost enough to ruin a game for me, especially if the game expects me to use them. It's not high difficulty that bothers me (I love the King's Field series and just beat Dark Souls), but the option of quicksaves and cheap, uneven difficulty that necessitates the use of them—infrequent checkpoints, enemies which kill in one or two hits, teleporting enemies you can't anticipate, etc.

The Quake series is on sale on Steam today, and I was thinking about maybe picking one or two of them up given that they're earlier classics in the genre, but I don't know if that will just be more of what I don't like. What's the best game in the series for me, or if the answer is "none of them," what's a good FPS for me?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Rollersnake posted:

I've never been able to get into the FPS genre, but I think that was largely due to my early experiences with it being mostly limited to being trounced in GoldenEye and Halo 1 multiplayer.

I played Half Life 1 up to a point (mine cart level) but didn't really enjoy it. I hate quicksaves enough that their existence as a feature is almost enough to ruin a game for me, especially if the game expects me to use them. It's not high difficulty that bothers me (I love the King's Field series and just beat Dark Souls), but the option of quicksaves and cheap, uneven difficulty that necessitates the use of them—infrequent checkpoints, enemies which kill in one or two hits, teleporting enemies you can't anticipate, etc.

The Quake series is on sale on Steam today, and I was thinking about maybe picking one or two of them up given that they're earlier classics in the genre, but I don't know if that will just be more of what I don't like. What's the best game in the series for me, or if the answer is "none of them," what's a good FPS for me?

I wouldn't recommend any of the Quakes, or really any Id game. If you absolutely must, Quake 4 is the most user friendly with checkpoints I think. Quake 3 is all multiplayer.

For something you're suggesting, I think it depends on what kind of fps you're looking for. Bioshock is real user friendly with saves, and has a decent enough story to boot. But has some RPG elements to it as well.

The Call of Duty series, as much flack as they get, are all about checkpoints, and are usually pretty generous with them. I haven't played the campaign for the latest one or black ops, but I thought the first two Modern Warfare games were fun.

And I'm not one hundred percent on this, but the Fear series is pretty good about it. I'd recommend the first and third one. I don't remember really enjoying the second one.

All of these games (Save for CoD) go on sale pretty cheap on steam kind of regularly.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 29, 2011

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Seconding the Bioshock recommendation. If you only ever play one FPS in your lifetime, let it be this one.

0staf
Jun 11, 2006

FFE or die trying

Rollersnake posted:

Quake 1 is great, Quake 2 not so much in my opinion. If you want a more "classic" FPS in their style (you have like 10 guns and 1000 enemies between you and the end of the level), without a quicksave function I'd reccommend Painkiller, it's only £5 on steam right now I think, has a checkpoint system, and is just really fun. The story is stupid, but it's completely irrelivant (cutscenes you should just skip), and just enjoy killing a million guys with shuriken guns and stake guns that pin them to walls. There's also a demo of it on steam so you can test the waters first.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

Ever played Jade Empire?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

The Shenmue games should be right up your alley.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

Looking for any sort of games, really, that take place in Asia - I'm pretty "gay" for anything China or Japan, though more the former than the latter. I've played Shogun 2 pretty intensively, and Civ V.
Definitely check out Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Dropbear posted:

Gothic 3 is terrible and was marred by the publisher rushing the game out. The first two are great. Play the first before the second, as characters and plot carry through. Keep in mind that everything from the combat to the interface is improved in the second game, so if you find the first too obtuse, the second one is much much better.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I need a splitscreen driving game in the vein of burnout or split/second for the PC. I'd prefer something fairly recent, the last five years or so, but if it's an older good one, I'm not averse to it.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
Does anyone have a good XCom clone? I am looking for something that allows me to keep the same units, level them up, get them gear, etc. (Base building would be awesome but I am assuming that is XCom exclusive). Other games like it that I love are Jagged Alliance 2 and Silent Storm. I would love to have one with the destruction of the latter.

Essentially, new (to me), turn based, squad, tactical, loot, upgrading.

Also, for some reason Frozen Synapse just doesn't do it for me. I don't know what it is, maybe the controls, the lack of characters, it just doesn't hold my attention.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
After enjoying Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit on PC. I'm looking for something similar. A fun, arcadey racer. An awesome damage models and incentive to destroy opponents are a plus.

ps. NOT FLATOUT

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
^ Burnout 3 or later games.

dongsweep posted:

Does anyone have a good XCom clone?

There's two options right now for direct clones. UFO:ET Gold, with the latest Grayfiend UNIMOD applied to it, is the most fully featured and is very accurate to the originals. That dev studio are also working on UFO:ET 2. There's also an indie game in development called Xenonauts which isn't quite finished yet but when done will probably be the best remake for the fans - it has lovely 2D painted art and it's set on earth during the cold war era. You can play the current build of the game if you want to pay now (cheaper than the final product), the tech tree isn't complete and it's still got bugs so best to read up on the forums what is the status with it before buying.

We've been talking about both recently in the X-COM thread here, and I posted some shots of the options menus that UNIMOD adds so you can get an idea what you can tweak (on top of the hundreds of adjustments it makes).

UFO:ET Gold on Steam (currently cheap as hell)
Grayfiend's UNIMOD homepage
forum for discussing UNIMOD

Xenonauts official page
Xenonauts on Desura (you can get a Steam key when the full thing launches).

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 31, 2011

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I'm a mentor for this Iraqi refugee family (cue "awwwwww") and want to give the kids some computer games.

- 5 and 6 year old
- They have very limited English so far, so I'm hoping they'll learn something through this although mindless fun has its place.

Any suggestions?

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

Harmonica posted:

^ Burnout 3 or later games.

There's two options right now for direct clones. UFO:ET Gold, with the latest Grayfiend UNIMOD applied to it, is the most fully featured and is very accurate to the originals. That dev studio are also working on UFO:ET 2. There's also an indie game in development called Xenonauts which isn't quite finished yet but when done will probably be the best remake for the fans - it has lovely 2D painted art and it's set on earth during the cold war era. You can play the current build of the game if you want to pay now (cheaper than the final product), the tech tree isn't complete and it's still got bugs so best to read up on the forums what is the status with it before buying.

We've been talking about both recently in the X-COM thread here, and I posted some shots of the options menus that UNIMOD adds so you can get an idea what you can tweak (on top of the hundreds of adjustments it makes).

UFO:ET Gold on Steam (currently cheap as hell)
Grayfiend's UNIMOD homepage
forum for discussing UNIMOD

Xenonauts official page
Xenonauts on Desura (you can get a Steam key when the full thing launches).

Wow thanks for the informative post. I was hoping you would say something that is on Steam given that every game seems to have at least some percentage off. I will hop on it!

Dang, Xenonauts really reminds me of SWAT 2. I really want to try it but the $20 cost of entry is a bit much. Do they have an estimated release date?

dongsweep fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 31, 2011

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Bouchacha posted:

I'm a mentor for this Iraqi refugee family (cue "awwwwww") and want to give the kids some computer games.

- 5 and 6 year old
- They have very limited English so far, so I'm hoping they'll learn something through this although mindless fun has its place.

Any suggestions?

That's pretty awesome of you. I'd guess any simulation game would work great. What about sports games? I bet they like soccer, so something as simple as FIFA 12 would probably work. There's a ton of free games like Wizard 101 and Marvel Superhero Squad that would be great. Finally, just go to steam and poke around on the family games list--there's a TON.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

- 5 and 6 year old

Any suggestions?

Every child throughout the world should play Oregon Trail at some point. Maybe their English isn't there yet, but this should be an explicit goal.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

But Not Tonight posted:

I need a splitscreen driving game in the vein of burnout or split/second for the PC. I'd prefer something fairly recent, the last five years or so, but if it's an older good one, I'm not averse to it.

As far as I know, Split/Second is the most recent splitscreen racing game on PC. I am unaware of any others

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Caufman posted:

Every child throughout the world should play Oregon Trail at some point. Maybe their English isn't there yet, but this should be an explicit goal.

This is a great idea. I was thinking I might also set them up with some super easy adventure games (maybe monkey island 2 lite).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Any good post-apocalyptic open-world RPGs similar to Fallout or STALKER?