Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I want to make bread pudding for a new years party. The recipes online are all over the place, especially regarding the type of dairy and the amount. I am looking for some advice.

To complicate matters, I am going to make it with gluten free bread, as my the hostess has some pretty major allergies (the phrase "fountains of poop" was used once) and I know she really misses bread dishes. My experience with gluten free bread makes me think I will need to add more liquids to soften it up, but again I am looking for some advice.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

bunnielab posted:

I want to make bread pudding for a new years party. The recipes online are all over the place, especially regarding the type of dairy and the amount. I am looking for some advice.

To complicate matters, I am going to make it with gluten free bread, as my the hostess has some pretty major allergies (the phrase "fountains of poop" was used once) and I know she really misses bread dishes. My experience with gluten free bread makes me think I will need to add more liquids to soften it up, but again I am looking for some advice.

Thanks.

I don't have experience making bread pudding with gluten free bread, but I do have a lot of experience making bread pudding in general.

Your opinion may differ, but I like a semi-custardy bread pudding with a crispy top. I don't like a gloopy, super-custardy bread pudding, and I don't like super-rich bread pudding where I can only eat 3 bites. Usually about 3-4 eggs per 3-4 cups of liquid. You can totally make a delicious bread pudding with all whole milk, but if you want to up the ante you can use about 1/4 to 1/3 heavy cream by volume. I don't like using all half-and-half or a lot of heavy cream, it's too heavy for me (especially if you're going to pair it with a chocolate or caramel sauce or something). But in the end it doesn't matter that much about the ratio of cream to milk, you can tilt it to your tastes, bread pudding is very forgiving. I also don't like a whole lot of extra moisture in there - for my tastes, it should be some custard swimming in bread, not bread swimming in custard. When I made Ad Hoc's leek bread pudding, I only used about 2/3 the liquid (Keller likes things super custardy, like his ice cream uses 10 egg yolks, and I am just not all about that). So I just pour the milk mixture over the bread until it looks sufficiently wet, and if I have stuff left over, oh well.

As for the gluten free stuff, I have no idea how that affects anything.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
They weren't gluten free bread puddings, but in my experience, spices really get tempered in the pudding by the next day. So, I always make mine with assertive, aggressive spicing (cardamom!!), and then enjoy the pudding a lot more the next day.

Do you have the money/ingredients to spare to do a test run?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Jose posted:

If the steak has a big line of fat on one side, you can either rest the steak on that until enough fat renders out to cook the steak in or slice a little bit off and lie that in the pan to render it out. The last few steaks I've not put any oil on, just done this and made sure the cast iron pan was evenly coated

This is what I usually do when I have a little bit to much fat so will probably be giving this a shot.

The Midniter posted:

FYI, the vast majority of peanut oil sold in the US is allergen-free and should be just fine for your girlfriend:

Source here.

This is very good to know and makes a lot of sense, thank you.

scuz posted:

Canola oil is widely available and has a high smoke point, so maybe give that a shot!

Actually having that cast iron pan (instead of the grill) makes it easier to make a pan gravy/sauce for the steak. Check it ouuuuuuuuut :c00l:

Ok that sounds awesome. I know what I'm trying!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

kiteless posted:

Helpful Stuff.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

Yehudis Basya posted:

They weren't gluten free bread puddings, but in my experience, spices really get tempered in the pudding by the next day. So, I always make mine with assertive, aggressive spicing (cardamom!!), and then enjoy the pudding a lot more the next day.

Do you have the money/ingredients to spare to do a test run?

This is also good to know. The bread is thawing now (it is sold rock hard frozen), I might have time to make a test batch tomorrow morning but I'm not sure. I was going to make two batches (one with raisins, one with bananas) and maybe make one more custardly the the other.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My buddy bagged a deer a couple months ago and is currently defrosting the tenderloin he had frozen. Any recipe suggestions? I like the idea of stuffing it but I'm open to any suggestions - all ingredients welcome.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Salt, pepper, a bit of oil, and a really loving quick sear on the grill, hardwood or good natural charcoal if possible. Venison tenderloin is very prone to overcooking and it doesn't have an overly gamey flavor, so I wouldn't mask it with too many strong flavors.

My usual dish for venison tenderloin is grilled, and served with a side of salad greens dressed in a light vinaigrette. Maybe some simple roasted taters on the side. Keep the venison the star and keep it simple.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Salt, pepper, a bit of oil, and a really loving quick sear on the grill, hardwood or good natural charcoal if possible. Venison tenderloin is very prone to overcooking and it doesn't have an overly gamey flavor, so I wouldn't mask it with too many strong flavors.

My usual dish for venison tenderloin is grilled, and served with a side of salad greens dressed in a light vinaigrette. Maybe some simple roasted taters on the side. Keep the venison the star and keep it simple.

Seconded; I do it in a pan though. Almost everything else on a deer needs to be tenderized in some way (slow cooking, puncturing, mincing, whatever) so treat that cut as the star it is. A touch of garlic and butter at the end wouldn't hurt though.
It's rare that you get one, unless you killed the deer yourself. It's smallish and usually gobbled up by the hunter that very evening. Last time I had one was too long ago and we had a warm German potato salad with it and some kind of salad with raisins and nuts.

edit: Oh yeah: It is still going to be a little tougher than a beef or pork tenderloin, so it's important that you slice it properly against the grain after it's cooked and rested. Look at how the fibers line up with each other and cut it perpendicular to them into fairly thin slices. Some people cut it into little filet-shaped chunks before they cut it, but I don't really think that's necessary; it gives you more browned surfaces and maybe makes it easier to cook fast and even -but I definitely wouldn't do that if I was grilling it.
(I suspect you probably know that, The Midniter, I'm just adding it for general informational purposes.)

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 30, 2011

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
So I made the fried chicken and it was super excellent. I want to make stock with the scraps (wingtips, neck, backbone etc) but it is all raw. I have always seen stock recipes that start with a leftover roast chicken or something like that. Is it the same process to start with raw chicken instead of cooked?

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.
My girlfriend has tasked me with dessert for NYE. Any suggestions for something simple but impressive? There will be three of us total.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

razz posted:

So I made the fried chicken and it was super excellent. I want to make stock with the scraps (wingtips, neck, backbone etc) but it is all raw. I have always seen stock recipes that start with a leftover roast chicken or something like that. Is it the same process to start with raw chicken instead of cooked?

I've seen recipes for both, and it gets boiled to hell in the process so go for it. Roasting all the meat and veg with a little oil first adds a nice layer of flavor, especially if you de-glaze the pan with water and pour that into the stock pot. You can even use the organ meats if you want.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

razz posted:

I would think so, it's going to boil for a long time so instead of going:

Cooked chicken ----> rich stock, chicken depleted of flavor

It would go:

Raw chicken ----> cooked chicken ----> rich stock, chicken depleted of flavor

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

The Midniter posted:

I would think so, it's going to boil for a long time so instead of going:

Cooked chicken ----> rich stock, chicken depleted of flavor

It would go:

Raw chicken ----> cooked chicken ----> rich stock, chicken depleted of flavor
Stock made out of uncooked meat and bones will be clearer and somewhat fattier than stock made from the carcass of a roasted bird. If you're planning on using it for making soup this is fine (and actually probably preferable). If you're making gravy, I'd go ahead and roast the uncooked bits in a roasting pan with some mirepoix, so you get the warmer colour for the gravy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone here with experience with oil Popcorn poppers?

I got This One for Christmas and I was wondering if it's fine to add spices to the oil you put into it, or should I wait until after the popcorn is done before adding it.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jenkin posted:

My girlfriend has tasked me with dessert for NYE. Any suggestions for something simple but impressive? There will be three of us total.

Coconut truffles. Here's an easy recipe:

6 oz 72% dark chocolate (the better it tastes plain the better you will be off)
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream (avoid ultra-pasturized)
1 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon european salted butter
1 cup sweetened coconut
1 tablespoon coconut extract
1/2 teaspoon salt (experiment with fun varieties)

In a double boiler, melt chocolate. Remove from heat.

Microwave cream at 50% for 1 minute. Add vanilla, corn syrup, and salt. Add mixture to chocolate and blend with a spoon. Add butter slowly until very well blended. Wait 30 minutes and mix butter again, repeat 2 times or until butter stops separating. Use a non-stick pan or a pan lined with wax paper after first butter mixing.

Cover and let sit for 2 hours and then refrigerate for 2 hours. Toast coconut in a saucepan or oven until golden brown and dry. Coating hands with cocoa powder to prevent sticking, roll chocolate into balls and then roll in toasted coconut, transferring to an airtight container. Truffles will last up to a week after preparation.

It's a little time intensive, but overall it's dead easy.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

SubG posted:

Stock made out of uncooked meat and bones will be clearer and somewhat fattier than stock made from the carcass of a roasted bird. If you're planning on using it for making soup this is fine (and actually probably preferable). If you're making gravy, I'd go ahead and roast the uncooked bits in a roasting pan with some mirepoix, so you get the warmer colour for the gravy.

I'm just going to use it for soups and stuff, so I'll make it with the raw carcass. Thanks!

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Is it possible I've used too much water while doing a vegetable stock? It's been simmering for close to an hour and the liquid is still quite pale and tasteless. What is the solution to this? Let it simmer longer? Is there a maximum amount of time?

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
Makin' mayo for the first time. Wooh!

1) How do I store it? Mason jar?

2) Immersion blender or food processor?

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
Is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to let a marinara sauce cook in a slow cooker?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Yehudis Basya posted:

I generally make fairly small amounts and just store it in a tupperware.
Immersion blender is easier to clean up usually.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Yehudis Basya posted:

1) Squeeze bottle!

2) Hand blender, of course.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

internet inc posted:

Is it possible I've used too much water while doing a vegetable stock? It's been simmering for close to an hour and the liquid is still quite pale and tasteless. What is the solution to this? Let it simmer longer? Is there a maximum amount of time?

Well, my wife's typical stock is a rib of celery, an onion, a carrot, a potato, 3-4 cloves garlic and 4-5 dried mushrooms, with the bigger stuff chopped roughly and the smaller items whole. Usually she reduces the hell out of it for storage, but even regular strength the stuff comes out brown and richly flavored, more so if the veggies are roasted first. There is no maximum, stop when it looks/tastes good to you?

As to what you can do now, wait half an hour and try it again. After that you can turn up the heat and cook it down, or even add things. Some people like a small amount of tomato paste but I think it overwhelms everything else. Dried mushrooms are good, garlic is if you like garlic. I wouldn't think twice about adding more of one of the things on that list, except maybe garlic or onion.

It's one of those things where it's all personal taste, no wrong way to do it.

Yehudis, I'll vouch for the immersion blender for emulsions. I make an oil/vinegar dressing for coleslaw pretty frequently, and the last time I did it I used an immersion blender instead of a whisk. It worked beautifully, completely emulsified it in like 15 seconds and it stayed mixed on the slaw for a couple of days. By hand, it would separate quickly and it just had an a much less creamy texture.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

internet inc posted:

I usually use 2 or 3 stalks of celery, one large (or two smallish) onions, 2 carrots, and a handful of dried shiitake for a large batch of vegetable stock (in my 8 qt. pot). I simmer for an hour or two and it ends up nice and brown and tasty. I also include a bay leaf, a pinch of dried rosemary, and some peppercorns. And there's no maximum time, really, you just wanna pull it off before your veggies become so mushy it's difficult to strain them. That takes a few hours though.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Hey! I need help with my Panna cotta! I'm planning on serving it with a mix of pomegrate-seeds and passion-fruit but I don't think the panna cotta turned out to be sweet enough to be able to handle the sourness on its own. (I mean its a good panna cotta, just maybe used too little sugar)

How can I make the pomegrate-passion mix sweeter? Should I just mix it with sugar and call it a day? Or is there a better way?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Affi posted:

How can I make the pomegrate-passion mix sweeter? Should I just mix it with sugar and call it a day? Or is there a better way?

For texture, I'd head towards a sugar syrup rather than just adding the sugar into it.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Anyone have any suggestions for what to do with a pound of shaved beef? Think cheesesteak meat. And then don't think cheeseteaks because I ate them last night.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

The Midniter posted:

My buddy bagged a deer a couple months ago and is currently defrosting the tenderloin he had frozen. Any recipe suggestions? I like the idea of stuffing it but I'm open to any suggestions - all ingredients welcome.

Make a rub of fennel thyme and black pepper. Rub the loin. Sear in an oven proof pan, finish in oven, remove from the pan (letting it rest) and make a reduction of gin and blackberries (you could use blackberry jam to save some time here)

Serve with a couscous with dried cranberries, mint, scallions, cinnamon and cumin.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

internet inc posted:

Take out a small amount, add salt, and taste it again.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

internet inc posted:

Regarding all the responses thus far to this post, is an hour even nearly long enough to suck all the flavor out of veggies in this stock? Chicken/beef/pork stock goes for hours and hours and possibly even days...if veggie stock takes that much less time, couldn't you just add a lot more veg to make a better stock? I think I'm confused.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Generalisimo Halal posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for what to do with a pound of shaved beef? Think cheesesteak meat. And then don't think cheeseteaks because I ate them last night.

Chipped beef on toast?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

bunnielab posted:

Chipped beef on toast?

Awesome, don't know why I didn't think of a batch of SOS. Should be the perfect breakfast antidote to whatever I do tonight.

Though any more ideas would rock too!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Fry up with some ssamjang and eat with kimchi on a bun or in a tortilla.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You could make a drat fine stroganoff out of it.

Hey, I'm making a mushroom, onion, and cornbread stuffing for a turkey. I'm making duxelles by mashing up a ton of shrooms, a little onion, and some garlic in a food processor and reducing them in wine to a paste. Is that ok or am I committing some kind of duxelles sin?

I see that there. fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 31, 2011

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The gluten free bread pudding seems to be a success. At least it looks like bread pudding. We ended up making two huge batches as we bought two loves of that horrid "bread" and saw little reason to hold back. I hope she likes it and I didn't some how inadvertently poison the poor girl.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?
I need finger food for a last min NYE party tonight. I'm not a fantastic cook but I"d like to bring something kind of cool but I can't think of anything. Any ideas or directions?

afgrunden
Jul 21, 2011

Anyone have a good recipe (or a few good recipes) with seitan? Seitan from scratch also, not pre-packaged.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Got a copy of the Bread Bible for Christmas, and I'm making my first few loaves.

I've got a KitchenAid 600 I use for most of my breads, and her directions contradict the KitchenAid manual in a couple places. Beranbaum says to use speed 2 to mix, and #4 to knead most of her dough's, but the KitchenAid manual says to never work a yeast dough above the #2 setting.

Will I be loving up my mixer by following her directions?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Bunnita posted:

I need finger food for a last min NYE party tonight. I'm not a fantastic cook but I"d like to bring something kind of cool but I can't think of anything. Any ideas or directions?
Have a couple crock pots?
Get a bunch of little soft taco shells.
Chop up some flaky white fish, dry it off, marinate it for a few minutes in some hot sauce and lime juice.
Bread it, bake it or fry it. You could even skip breading.
Shrimp would be fine too.

Put a big stack of the tortillas in one pot to stay warm, the fish in the other with some chopped onion, maybe some peppers and tomatoes or something.
A big bowl of greens, maybe an avocado or something to add to them.

You don't even ned the crock pots, but I think it's nice to have something that stays hot all night while everyone is getting trashed.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bunnita posted:

Scale this up or down as necessary:

.5 lb ground beef
.5 lb hot Italian sausage
2 eggs
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 or 2 stalks celery
1 or 2 jalepenos
breadcrumbs

Finely dice or cube the celery and pepper. Mix all ingredients. Form into balls. Fry in pan. Put in crock pot. Cover with Franks Red Hot or your favorite wing sauce.

Buffalo balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

a handful of dust posted:

Will I be loving up my mixer by following her directions?

Probably not. If the mixer gets hotter than normal or sounds strained, back off. You won't destroy it instantly.