Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

scamtank posted:

The military school thing was in Willy Beamish. Not sure why you wouldn't find it in the Sierra catalog, though. Could your memory be blending games together?

Nope, you got it right. Odd that I couldn't find it previously. Looks like it was developed by Dynamix though, so maybe I was inadvertently looking at a list of games developed by Sierra.

Anyway, thanks a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
There was a game I had on CD-ROM when I was little that, to the best of my memory, was part point-and-click adventure game, part minigame-collection (colouring-in and poo poo) based on Peter Pan. I don't think it had anything to do with the Disney movie, and I thought it was Lucasarts for a long time, but I can't find anything to do with Peter Pan in their back catalogue. The copy I had came bundled with another game, which may have been Eagle Eye Mysteries, but I can't remember.

Does anybody know it?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well, there was a Hook adventure game, maybe it's that? If not, was it an edutainment title?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cwapface posted:

There was a game I had on CD-ROM when I was little that, to the best of my memory, was part point-and-click adventure game, part minigame-collection (colouring-in and poo poo) based on Peter Pan. I don't think it had anything to do with the Disney movie, and I thought it was Lucasarts for a long time, but I can't find anything to do with Peter Pan in their back catalogue. The copy I had came bundled with another game, which may have been Eagle Eye Mysteries, but I can't remember.

Does anybody know it?

Sounds like Peter Pan: A Story Painting Adventure, by the short-lived EA Kids. I think they also did one for Around the World in 80 Days.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Is it Muppets Treasure Island?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

cmndstab posted:

Is it Muppets Treasure Island?
Hahaha no, but I do remember playing that too, though later.

a medical mystery had it right. I looked it up and that's it alright.

I had a lot of EA*Kids games, but the article for the company is a red link on Wikipedia. What happened to them?

Perplexed Stoat
Apr 6, 2011

I saw a trailer over a year ago for a game that was set in a city that had been hit by an earthquake. From what I remember the city was reduced to rubble and it was hot as hell, sandy and very dry so I'm thinking Las Vegas type location. The main character was a guy who is trying to just survive. Anyone know what game I am talking about, I'm not actually sure if it was ever released.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

scamtank posted:

The military school thing was in Willy Beamish. Not sure why you wouldn't find it in the Sierra catalog, though. Could your memory be blending games together?

It was published by Dynamix before Sierra engulfed them.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

SHMUP where you could choose between four or five ships, each with different stats and attack type. The first level you were flying over trees and maybe a river, and it seemed relatively intense in terms of the number of bullets - not as many as Ikaruga or Touhou, I think it was comparable to Jamestown possibly. The graphics were really nice sprites, like the quality of 2D sprites on the PS1. If it helps at all in identifying it, it was in the big arcade on the Las Vegas strip.

I think your best bet is going to be going down the list of reviews over at SHMUPS! and looking for anything that seems familiar. Dimahoo? Gunbird? It really could be anything.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Perplexed Stoat posted:

I saw a trailer over a year ago for a game that was set in a city that had been hit by an earthquake. From what I remember the city was reduced to rubble and it was hot as hell, sandy and very dry so I'm thinking Las Vegas type location. The main character was a guy who is trying to just survive. Anyone know what game I am talking about, I'm not actually sure if it was ever released.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ6Aely9YrQ

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Fuoco posted:

It could be Word Rescue or Math Rescue.

I do remember playing word rescue as a kid, but these were not the game. This one was newer, graphically at least. There were passages where you walked through walls and I remember there was a crystal kind of level.

Swabbleflange
Apr 18, 2008

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

SHMUP where you could choose between four or five ships, each with different stats and attack type. The first level you were flying over trees and maybe a river, and it seemed relatively intense in terms of the number of bullets - not as many as Ikaruga or Touhou, I think it was comparable to Jamestown possibly. The graphics were really nice sprites, like the quality of 2D sprites on the PS1. If it helps at all in identifying it, it was in the big arcade on the Las Vegas strip.

Could be Donpachi or Dodonpachi, although I think there are only three ships in those.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
SNES game. It was an RPG much like the Final Fantasy series. All I really remember that made it unique was it had a world map and one of the modes of transportation across the map was by flying either a flying dog or a dragon.

I'm not sure if the flying dog was accurate, as a kid I probably had just seen A Never Ending Story or something.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

err posted:

SNES game. It was an RPG much like the Final Fantasy series. All I really remember that made it unique was it had a world map and one of the modes of transportation across the map was by flying either a flying dog or a dragon.

I'm not sure if the flying dog was accurate, as a kid I probably had just seen A Never Ending Story or something.

Secret of Mana, you do fly around on a big Neverending Story type dragon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_of_mana

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Perplexed Stoat posted:

Already answered as "I Am Alive" (which took place in Chicago), but they've changed the plot to make the city more generic and to change it from a single earthquake to some world-changing cataclysm.

I was looking forward to a game based in Chicago. :colbert:

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Swabbleflange posted:

Could be Donpachi or Dodonpachi, although I think there are only three ships in those.

I don't think it was either of those, similar though.

Perplexed Stoat
Apr 6, 2011

Thanks, yeah that's the one and I didn't realise it was just a console release and not a PC release.

Golbez posted:

Already answered as "I Am Alive" (which took place in Chicago), but they've changed the plot to make the city more generic and to change it from a single earthquake to some world-changing cataclysm.

I was looking forward to a game based in Chicago. :colbert:

The trailer and what I had read ages ago looked great and it seemed really promising but the fact it's console-only and then they have to make it as you say more generic sounds pretty lame, that and I no-longer own a console so meh.

Thanks folks.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Smol posted:

A point-and-click adventure game for MS-DOS, probably from the late 80s / early 90s. I've looked through the Sierra games of the era but couldn't find it from there, so most likely it's not a Sierra game. Anyhow, you played as a little kid and the game took place in a house. I remember the upmost floor having a a working model train that you could play with. Also, if you failed in the game, you were sent to a military school.

Any ideas?

Yup, this is absolutely Willy Beamish.

Edit: Wow, I apparently left this window open for... days?

Sorgrid
May 1, 2007
So it goes.
There's another game I'm looking for, since the first one I mentioned may be too obscure. It's a great graphic adventure game, with details that reminded me of good Sierra/LucasArts games. It was quite difficult and if I recall, it's a quest to save a princess, and there's an utter bullshit ending where you stumble upon some kind of high tech room with computers and stuff, you do something to them, you win the game and it's revealed that it was all in your mind because you are an insane dude who murdered his parents and who gets a booger sandwich from his cellmate for his birthday or something like that. I remember the ending cinematic being in really lame 3D (though advanced for the time, kind of like Worms), of a door shutting on the guy wearing a straitjacket?.

Sorgrid fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 29, 2011

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Old Mac shareware game. You were a guy in an office chair fighting robots. I remember your weapons being a staplegun and cans of cola were grenades, and you moved faster going backwards.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Neito posted:

Old Mac shareware game. You were a guy in an office chair fighting robots. I remember your weapons being a staplegun and cans of cola were grenades, and you moved faster going backwards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_the_Handsome_Executive

Hell yes, fantastic game.

ViolentQuiche
Jul 17, 2010

Sorgrid posted:

There's another game I'm looking for, since the first one I mentioned may be too obscure. It's a great graphic adventure game, with details that reminded me of good Sierra/LucasArts games. It was quite difficult and if I recall, it's a quest to save a princess, and there's an utter bullshit ending where you stumble upon some kind of high tech room with computers and stuff, you do something to them, you win the game and it's revealed that it was all in your mind because you are an insane dude who murdered his parents and who gets a booger sandwich from his cellmate for his birthday or something like that. I remember the ending cinematic being in really lame 3D (though advanced for the time, kind of like Worms), of a door shutting on the guy wearing a straitjacket?.

Sounds a bit like Sanitarium.

Sorgrid
May 1, 2007
So it goes.

ViolentQuiche posted:

Sounds a bit like Sanitarium.
I don't think it was that. It's a nice little point-and-click dos adventure game from the early/mid 90's with a heroic-fantasy setting looking a lot like Simon the Sorcerer or a late King's Quest, and it wasn't gritty.. but in the end, the stuff I described happened and it pissed me off really bad.I think you get to the part with the computer by a crack on the floor, with a hellfire-like light emanating from it?
E: Nevermind, I finally found the game with a bit of luck, lots of spare time and some brainstorming: it's Fable.
I hope I can find the first game I mentioned though, I really miss it.

Sorgrid fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 31, 2011

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Trying to remember an arcade game I played in the mid 90's. It was a multiplayer brawler type (I want to say 1-4 people, but maybe just 1-2). The most distinct part of it I can think of is that the characters in the game (good guys and bad guys) were kinda cartoony with smaller bodies and big heads. The sprites were 2d but 3d gameplay (in that you could move in all 4 directions along the ground as it scrolled).

One of the levels I remember being on the outside of a building and you were going up fire escape stairs to the roof and then maybe jumping over to another building and going back down it's

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

DKWildz posted:

Trying to remember an arcade game I played in the mid 90's. It was a multiplayer brawler type (I want to say 1-4 people, but maybe just 1-2). The most distinct part of it I can think of is that the characters in the game (good guys and bad guys) were kinda cartoony with smaller bodies and big heads. The sprites were 2d but 3d gameplay (in that you could move in all 4 directions along the ground as it scrolled).

One of the levels I remember being on the outside of a building and you were going up fire escape stairs to the roof and then maybe jumping over to another building and going back down it's
There are HUNDREDS of arcade games that could possibly be but I'll just throw out 2 as a gamble:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/combatribes
http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/stone-protectors

I remember spending like $20 beating Combatribes at the arcade when I was a kid...it was really hard, okay?!!

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

The Joe Man posted:

There are HUNDREDS of arcade games that could possibly be but I'll just throw out 2 as a gamble:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/combatribes
http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/stone-protectors

I remember spending like $20 beating Combatribes at the arcade when I was a kid...it was really hard, okay?!!

I know, reading back what I wrote I see just how generic a description it is when there's so many copies of brawler games. Combatribes sounds really familiar (and I think I recognize it from a screenshot I'm looking at). I'll watch a video and see if it has the specific scene I can remember.

EDIT: Watching some more, Combatribes is really, really close, if this isn't it. I haven't seen the specific part I'm thinking of, but this game is pretty hilarious. I remember there being friendly fire and being able to beat up your partners.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

I'm trying to remember an arcade game from the 80s (perhaps even the very early 90s). It was a top down shooter "Rambo-like" shooter (same sort of perspective and theme as Ikari Warriors). The intro to the game sees your jetfighter shot down (from above) and crashing in the jungle. You then shake your co-pilots shoulder before a whole bunch of camouflaged soldiers jumping up to capture you...

It's not Ikari Warriors, but it's sorta similar, anyone remember what I'm talking about?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

SecretOfSteel posted:

I'm trying to remember an arcade game from the 80s (perhaps even the very early 90s). It was a top down shooter "Rambo-like" shooter (same sort of perspective and theme as Ikari Warriors). The intro to the game sees your jetfighter shot down (from above) and crashing in the jungle. You then shake your co-pilots shoulder before a whole bunch of camouflaged soldiers jumping up to capture you...

It's not Ikari Warriors, but it's sorta similar, anyone remember what I'm talking about?
Heavy Barrel? Did it have the SNK 8-way stick? That'd narrow things down quite a bit.

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968

SecretOfSteel posted:

Calibre .50 ?

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Anghammarad posted:

Calibre .50 ?

That's gotta be it! Cheers!

Wow, what a difference 20+ years makes, I remembered it having soldier sprites more "Cannon Fodder" like!

VALIS666
Jan 15, 2007

Fnord!
Xbox/PS2, maybe Windows as well, not sure. So, early-mid 2000s.

Your character is a female pirate. You explore islands looking for treasure and artifacts while fighting off all manner of enemies, many of them supernatural. You travel by boat from island to island, and have sea battles as well. Third person perspective.

It was kind of under the radar back then, but I remember enjoying it a lot. Played through it two times, I liked it that much. Thanks.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

VALIS666 posted:

Your character is a female pirate. You explore islands looking for treasure and artifacts while fighting off all manner of enemies, many of them supernatural. You travel by boat from island to island, and have sea battles as well. Third person perspective.

It was kind of under the radar back then, but I remember enjoying it a lot. Played through it two times, I liked it that much. Thanks.

I was thinking Sea Dogs, but the protagonist isn't female. Maybe try wikipedia's "Pirate Games" category?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

VALIS666 posted:

Maybe Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat?

pancreatic cancer
Jul 27, 2010
Hopefully you guys can help me remember this game, I have a very fuzzy recollection of it: I think it was probably early 90s or so and you had a board with maybe hexagonal shaped lumps of territory which you could take over. There were CPU controlled other dudes and you could form alliances with them, but if you broke the alliance this wizard who oversaw the entire screen would make a disapproving HRMMMM noise at you. The other main thing I remember is that when you invaded an opposing territory you could take control over an individual unit of your military which made no real impact whatsoever but was kind of fun. Thanks!

VALIS666
Jan 15, 2007

Fnord!

MMAgCh posted:

Maybe Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat?

That's the one! Cheers.

JeSo
Jul 14, 2004

pancreatic cancer posted:

Hopefully you guys can help me remember this game, I have a very fuzzy recollection of it: I think it was probably early 90s or so and you had a board with maybe hexagonal shaped lumps of territory which you could take over. There were CPU controlled other dudes and you could form alliances with them, but if you broke the alliance this wizard who oversaw the entire screen would make a disapproving HRMMMM noise at you. The other main thing I remember is that when you invaded an opposing territory you could take control over an individual unit of your military which made no real impact whatsoever but was kind of fun. Thanks!

Fantasy Empires?

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?
Back in the olde days of Windows, I had a small game or demo of a game I'd got off a CD or something. It was first person, Doom-esque, were you walked around a haunted castle type place, with bookshelves and passageways. There were zombies and skeletons and such to attack you. It was really simple, simple graphics, but it had awesome music and I loved playing it. Any ideas at all? Sorry my description isn't particularly helpful. It certainly wasn't a "big" game by any big companies, though.

Sorgrid
May 1, 2007
So it goes.

Chedranian Girl posted:

Back in the olde days of Windows, I had a small game or demo of a game I'd got off a CD or something. It was first person, Doom-esque, were you walked around a haunted castle type place, with bookshelves and passageways. There were zombies and skeletons and such to attack you. It was really simple, simple graphics, but it had awesome music and I loved playing it. Any ideas at all? Sorry my description isn't particularly helpful. It certainly wasn't a "big" game by any big companies, though.

Was it Hexen?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Chedranian Girl posted:

Catacomb Abyss maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyShadow
Oct 27, 2005
There is a game I have been trying to find for a while. I think it was around the time of Windows 95. It had you driving a vehicle (hovercraft? unless I am confusing it with Hover!) in a world made out of coloured geometric shapes. I think some, or most of the shapes in the world were destructible, and if you destroyed a specific part of it, the level couldn't be completed but I can barely remember the game. The objectives were to destroy some of parts of the map I think. It probably came on a demo disk with a lot of games. I seem to remember "Prism3" but if that's the name of the game, I can't find anything related to it. That might have been the name of the cd, or the filename I used to type to install it.
My description is vague, but I hope someone else remembers this game.

MightyShadow fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 3, 2012