Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
In my ongoing exploration of this mineshaft, I have an overflowing abundance of wooden planks and wooden fences. Also some rails.

Any ideas what I should use them for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Jamesman posted:

In my ongoing exploration of this mineshaft, I have an overflowing abundance of wooden planks and wooden fences. Also some rails.

Any ideas what I should use them for?

Your very own personal rail system. Use the planks to make sticks (for more tracks) or to make rickety bridges across chasms.

On the private survival server I play on, I'm basically the rail tycoon. I usually build railways between nether portals, but I've also connected areas of interest on the overworld. My ongoing project is turning the stronghold we found into a rail hub.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Fortis posted:

Your very own personal rail system. Use the planks to make sticks (for more tracks) or to make rickety bridges across chasms.

On the private survival server I play on, I'm basically the rail tycoon. I usually build railways between nether portals, but I've also connected areas of interest on the overworld. My ongoing project is turning the stronghold we found into a rail hub.

This is me. You are me. On my server (which just so happens to be the one Jamesman is on too) I am the rail tycoon. Recently finished connecting two major ports. Took about 2,300 rails. I am getting started on making it a two way system now (outgoing, incoming).

I also really enjoy smart stations.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Thinking of building an enormous (enormous) lighthouse scaffolding around my mob tower. If anyone has cool links to lighthouses that they've seen built that I could use for inspiration that would be much appreciated!

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Petey posted:

Thinking of building an enormous (enormous) lighthouse scaffolding around my mob tower. If anyone has cool links to lighthouses that they've seen built that I could use for inspiration that would be much appreciated!

Pretty sure this is the only correct answer:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Pretty sure this is the only correct answer:

Yeah I figured it would be the most epic historical allusion but I kind of want to build a towering, simple obelisk with an enormous lava light. My friends and I have a communal area in an archipelago of mountains, and I figured this would be like an artificial mountain guarding the entrance right at the top here:

Maybe on piers rising out of the water

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm getting kind of annoyed. I dug out a huge strip mine in hopes of eventually hitting a chunk that slime spawn in so I would have a source of slime balls. Despite going on for a ridiculous distance I have yet to see a single slime. Did they become rarer or something?

Also, how fast is a boosted minecart compared to sprinting? Trying to decide if its worth my time to set up a rail system in the strip mine.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

How fast is a boosted minecart compared to sprinting? Trying to decide if its worth my time to set up a rail system in the strip mine.

wiki posted:

Sprinting is a feature in Beta 1.8, which allows the player to run faster, around 5.6 meters/second.

The speed of a cart which is boosted using Powered Rails is calculated to be at the maximum of 8 m/s
So quite a bit faster.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Boat posted:

So quite a bit faster.

It also doesn't eat up your hunger meter to ride in a cart.

ENJOY THE MEATHOSE
Jun 7, 2007

Petey posted:

Yeah I figured it would be the most epic historical allusion but I kind of want to build a towering, simple obelisk with an enormous lava light. My friends and I have a communal area in an archipelago of mountains, and I figured this would be like an artificial mountain guarding the entrance right at the top here:

What's the seed for this? It's a neat place.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Petey posted:

I'm pretty sure you broke some sort of law by posting this picture without the seed and coordinates.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

302 posted:

What's the seed for this? It's a neat place.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I'm pretty sure you broke some sort of law by posting this picture without the seed and coordinates.

Whoops! Sorry. It is a beautiful world, actually: lots of mountainous archipelagos surrounded by broad oceans and then rings of forests and snow.

A related question:

Thinking of building my mob spawner tower within a lighthouse, and my "warehouse" (into which the drops will fall and our chests will be stored) underneath it. I know that there are certain rules about how close a mob can spawn (something like no closer than 20 blocks and no further than so many away from you).

My question is this: does the ~20 block "no closer than" apply to the height plane as well? If I build the tower so that the lowest spawn floor is at least 20 blocks above where we will be spending our time in the warehouse, will things still spawn? Or is the "no closer" thing ~20 XZ blocks away?

Petey fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 30, 2011

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah it's 20 blocks on all axes.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
Dumb question: My brother and I want to play together (we're on the same network) on two accounts in the same world. Does direct connect work for this? Or do we have to find a public server?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

Dumb question: My brother and I want to play together (we're on the same network) on two accounts in the same world. Does direct connect work for this? Or do we have to find a public server?

No. The server software is a separate package.

You can simply download the software, make your own local server, move the existing map over to that, and then you can both log into it using the client software.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

God drat. How do I make my penned in animals stop trying to jump over the fence? I don't want to make the fences 2 high :mad:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Petey posted:

This looks like a hotwheels playset where the car leaps into a dinosaur's mouth

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Joeslop posted:

God drat. How do I make my penned in animals stop trying to jump over the fence? I don't want to make the fences 2 high :mad:

They... theoretically shouldn't be able to jump the fence anyway, though... unfortunately, if it's multiplayer, they basically teleport around slightly due to the lovely pathing code and will end up on top of the fence or on the other side of it. I call it quantum sheep tunneling.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

MikeJF posted:

They... theoretically shouldn't be able to jump the fence anyway, though... unfortunately, if it's multiplayer, they basically teleport around slightly due to the lovely pathing code and will end up on top of the fence or on the other side of it. I call it quantum sheep tunneling.

They do occasionally teleport on top, haven't seen any go through yet. It's just very annoying when their pen is 1 block down with fences on the outside and they still jump around non-stop.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Joeslop posted:

They do occasionally teleport on top, haven't seen any go through yet. It's just very annoying when their pen is 1 block down with fences on the outside and they still jump around non-stop.

Well, that'll never change. Sheep always wanna go somewhere and will try and jump to do so.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sometimes, the game will just mess up and put them on the wrong side of a fence if you load the game/chunk when the animals were jumping around by the fence. Also, animals can piggyback one another, which can allow them to jump over a fence.

I just make pits 2-3 blocks deep and put the fence around the top. Then the fence/ledge is too high for animals to reach, and the gate ledge can't be stepped on unless the gate is opened.

Is there an efficient way to farm experience? It's really annoying and slow standing in a safe hole by a monster spawner punching zombies.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Allen Wren posted:

Well, that'll never change. Sheep always wanna go somewhere and will try and jump to do so.

They aren't the only ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv-FORwG2oo&t=60s

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"
I have the flu, which ended new years plans. I haven't played since 1.6, what is the "World Type" at the new game screen and how do I do anything other than the grey-ed out 'normal'?

is there a new equivalent to gargamel?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

nippon nifties posted:

They aren't the only ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv-FORwG2oo&t=60s

zombies have no rhythm.

Gooch
Oct 30, 2006

Barn Owl posted:

I have the flu, which ended new years plans. I haven't played since 1.6, what is the "World Type" at the new game screen and how do I do anything other than the grey-ed out 'normal'?

Yeah just got a better computer, my old one crapped out. So I'm just getting back into this game. Is there a nice island seed out there?

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Barn Owl posted:

Since 1.8 there are no memorable, unique seeds. The age of Glacier and gargamel is over.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Oggumogoggum posted:

Since 1.8 there are no memorable, unique seeds. The age of Glacier and gargamel is over.

i dunno, i've found the seed "crackerjack!" to be quite cool, especially with technic or yogsbox. you start out near a giant smattering of ravines, and if you travel to the nearby desert you'll find some really cool terrain.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
After frustration in getting the game to work a while back (it would break during worldgen) I finally slapped in the seed "goddamnit" (no quotes, obviously) to express my annoyance. The end result was pretty nice, and there was a village nearby to boot. On the wrong computer for screenshots, though.

Lucy_Cominato
Oct 23, 2010

Oggumogoggum posted:

All the seeds have now some gargamel-esque terrain in the mountain biome.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Fuego Fish posted:

On the wrong computer for screenshots, though.

Hit PrtSc in the upper right corner of the keyboard, then paste into MSPaint. Ctrl-V.

vvvv :doh:

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 1, 2012

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

PalmTreeFun posted:

Hit PrtSc in the upper right corner of the keyboard, then paste into MSPaint. Ctrl-V.

Pretty sure he means he's not currently on the computer that has Minecraft on it, seeing as the screenshot function is built right in to Minecraft.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Boat posted:

Pretty sure he means he's not currently on the computer that has Minecraft on it, seeing as the screenshot function is built right in to Minecraft.

Bingo. I can try and get some screenshots up later in the week if anyone still cares, though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Has anyone else ever had problems with Minecraft loading previously-loaded areas slightly "off" from how they were before?

I have a diamond mining grid I've been working on, and I headed back there just now, and after a certain point (I guess one of the chunk changes), everything is off by one block. Where the tunnels were two blocks apart, now some are three and some are one.

And what's weirder is I think it's happening while I'm digging the tunnels.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Jamesman posted:

Has anyone else ever had problems with Minecraft loading previously-loaded areas slightly "off" from how they were before?

I have a diamond mining grid I've been working on, and I headed back there just now, and after a certain point (I guess one of the chunk changes), everything is off by one block. Where the tunnels were two blocks apart, now some are three and some are one.

This is literally impossible.

Unstable Pants
Sep 1, 2004

OH GOD, THEY'RE GOING CRITICAL! RUN!
Been generating random worlds to try to find a good seed, and think I've found an alright one.

Here's the view from spawn.

Nothing too remarkable. Behind the spawn and to the left is a little cove. I've started building a city going into the ocean from here.

However, across the ocean from this cove is the interesting stuff.

Here's a shot with the coordinates and seed number.

Seed was -5551875059261677981.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Senator Woofington posted:

This is literally impossible.

It's not a matter of me miscounting blocks. They were blocks I'd already counted out and tunnels were dug and were properly spaced. Now they are not.

Maybe it's not actively changing while I'm in the middle of it. It just feels like that because I tried fixing it by making a couple tunnels larger, and I keep coming up off.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Jamesman posted:

It's not a matter of me miscounting blocks. They were blocks I'd already counted out and tunnels were dug and were properly spaced. Now they are not.

Maybe it's not actively changing while I'm in the middle of it. It just feels like that because I tried fixing it by making a couple tunnels larger, and I keep coming up off.

I'm just saying based on how this game is written and a lot of other things, this is not possible and you are absoultely just making a personal mistake, whether it be by forgetting or miscounting. Not trying to be a dick here, I'm just saying the game is not loving with you by shifting your tunnels, that is not something that is possible, whether a glitch or otherwise.

edit: The only possibility is if the chunks are not saving properly, but all that will do is revert the chunk to a previous state, not "shift" blocks.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Jamesman posted:

That's just Herobrine loving with you.

I WANT TO BELIEVE!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Oh for the love of god, can we please not bring up herobrine again? It's not the stupidest thing to come out of the Minecraft forums but at least the whiny and obsessive mod drama is funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
It's actually kind of funny because a newer player may actually believe it. As some over-used meme it's definitely not funny.