Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Happy Yeti posted:

Nah, next pages are Jane doing the lifey thing

pumpinglemma posted:

No, I think he's got explosives in the neck of the Jade's tower or something. Hussie's going to drop the ball at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve.

Sometimes I wonder if Hussie ever reads this thread.:allears:

Edit: VVV The ball drop yeah, but I'm pretty sure the lifey thing is new.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

pumpinglemma posted:

No, I think he's got explosives in the neck of the Jade's tower or something. Hussie's going to drop the ball at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve.
Sometimes I wonder if Hussie ever reads this thread.:allears:

It's the same thing he did last year.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Bowman's solo album is out. http://bowman.bandcamp.com/album/ithaca

Also Radiation shared the latest tumblr post from goon favorite, randy133 http://randys133.tumblr.com/post/15078538765/the-new-years and it is amazing.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Also Radiation shared the latest tumblr post from goon favorite, randy133 http://randys133.tumblr.com/post/15078538765/the-new-years and it is amazing.

Bowman is perpetually stuck in the 50/60's and I love it :allears:

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

So, if these are life powers, why is Feferi so dead? Hussie really dropped the ball this time. :colbert:

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

Hjalmar posted:

So, if these are life powers, why is Feferi so dead? Hussie really dropped the ball this time. :colbert:

I still can't wrap my head around the "rules" of the Green Sun. It... doesn't work in the far reaches of the Veil, where it IS? What the gently caress?

To test my understanding, if you have Green Sun space folding bullshit:

1) it works if you're in an SBurb Medium.
2) it won't work out in the furthest ring.
3) it won't work if you're flying past the author's self-insert.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Hjalmar posted:

They might be Maid powers.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

They might be Maid powers.

Theorycrafting: Maid powers deal with death a lot (which would tie in with Aradia's roles and the Handmaid legend) and Life powers seem to usually extend life, so maybe Jane's power is one step further and revives people from total death?

Secondly, every Life character so far seems to be tied in with the Condence somehow (Jane is a Crocker; the Condence is Feferi's ancestor; the Condence has Life powers herself). Maybe the Condence represents Life as a counterpart to Handmaid as Death? On a grander scale than what we already know, obviously.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Drunk post, Lalonde roleplay, or SBaHJ memorial. You decide.

e: wait, he always posts like this? :psyduck:

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

Drunk post, Lalonde roleplay, or SBaHJ memorial. You decide.

e: wait, he always posts like this? :psyduck:

It looks to me like he types exactly the way he makes and narrates his videos.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Hjalmar posted:

I was actually going to make this same post.

I'm sure it'll be explained at some point, but yeah I'm curious why it didn't help Feferi. If she was going God Tier that'd explain it, but then just raise more questions.

So I'unno

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
The reboot kids haven't actually 'started' playing SBurb yet, have they? As in, they haven't gotten their hands on the disks and installed them yet, right?

Maybe the game has some bullshit rules that allow players' dreamselves to come back to life if the game hasn't started properly?

I dunno, I'm really scraping for answers :confused:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

A Spider posted:

The reboot kids haven't actually 'started' playing SBurb yet, have they? As in, they haven't gotten their hands on the disks and installed them yet, right?

Maybe the game has some bullshit rules that allow players' dreamselves to come back to life if the game hasn't started properly?

This is pretty much what I thought, that Life players have immunity to cheatdeaths. Their dreamselves can't die if the game hasn't started yet, and perhaps either of their selves can't die while one is asleep and the other active (as in you can't go kill Jane's dreamself while it's asleep in her Prospit room and her realself is going around the medium kicking rear end).

e: Maybe the Maid of Life has the God Tier revival abilities from the getgo as her special powers?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
That's a lot of pages! I guess he was saving them up. Happy new year.

A Spider posted:

Some of them have their copies, but Jane was going to be the first one in; her mailbox blew up when she was going to retrieve the discs, remember. We don't yet have any confirmation on exactly what happened there.

There are lots of potential explanations for why a lifey thing is taking place here when it didn't for Feferi - the game hasn't started properly, it could be something to do with it being Jane's dreamself or being in her own tower, it could differ between roles or Prospit vs. Derse dreamers, Feferi could have stayed dead on purpose to prepare the bubble deal - but we'll have to wait to see what comes out of it and why. I don't think we've seen enough to really clarify this point yet.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Thanks for posting this, really made my day. :unsmith:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Snollygoster posted:

I still can't wrap my head around the "rules" of the Green Sun. It... doesn't work in the far reaches of the Veil, where it IS? What the gently caress?

To test my understanding, if you have Green Sun space folding bullshit:

1) it works if you're in an SBurb Medium.
2) it won't work out in the furthest ring.
3) it won't work if you're flying past the author's self-insert.
I think the thing to keep in mind is how hosed up the space/time properties of the Furthest Ring are. Having someone who could easily teleport around in it as they pleased would be cosmically inscrutable or something.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Hjalmar posted:

Well, she got chopped in half and then caught in a giant explosion, which might be trickier to come back from than a stab wound. Especially if there is some sort of link to the dream towers.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I'm also quite liking Ithaca. Well worth getting if you've enjoyed any of the stuff Bowman's done for Homestuck. (Most relevantly Mobius Trip and Hadron Kaleido, of course.)

Paul.Power posted:

Well, she got chopped in half and then caught in a giant explosion, which might be trickier to come back from than a stab wound. Especially if there is some sort of link to the dream towers.

Her other self only got zapped through the chest, which I think isn't really much worse than the best stab wound Jack Noir can come up with. The man's an expert, after all. I thought that was the death people were talking about (it was the one I meant, at least) since it was her last life, as this was for Jane if the mailbox explosion did kill her.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
It could just be that the "life powers" the characters get are based on their titles; Like the Maid of Life would have different powers than the Witch of Life. If I recall correctly (correct me if I'm wrong, though.) Aradia and Dave have different powers even though they're both the dudes of time.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ice_Mallet posted:

It could just be that the "life powers" the characters get are based on their titles; Like the Maid of Life would have different powers than the Witch of Life. If I recall correctly (correct me if I'm wrong, though.) Aradia and Dave have different powers even though they're both the dudes of time.
Hard to say exactly given the grand total of timey things we've seen them do is a) both control machines to travel through time and b) Aradia time-freezing Jack. We've yet to see Dave do anything else.

One excellent example though would be how different Rose and Vriska's Light powers are - the Thief stealing fortune from others to give her an edge against them (primarily a combat role?) and the Seer examining fortune to plot optimal strategies (primarily a support role?).

So yeah, it could well tie in to the whole Maid - Witch thing. Maybe there are some patterns we can spot if we look at the other Maid (Aradia) and Witch (Jade)?

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 1, 2012

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think this is going to be a very popular opinion, but I think Bowman's singing ruins his music for me. The music is great, but something about the way he sings just grates on my nerves. :(

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I find it's the opposite. It's his voice that helps set the songs apart - Bowman-voiced songs are some of my favourite parts of the Homestuck albums.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Tollymain posted:

I don't think this is going to be a very popular opinion, but I think Bowman's singing ruins his music for me. The music is great, but something about the way he sings just grates on my nerves. :(

His voice is part of his music, though, so it's kind of unfair to say that his vocals "ruin" it. I like his vocals, but then again I also like a number of male vocalists with "odd" voices--John K. Samson from the Weakerthans, Win Butler from Arcade Fire, John Vanderslice, Jason Lytle from Grandaddy, John Darnielle from the Mountain Goats, Thom Yorke from Radiohead, etc.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Sorry, but it's impossible to take his voice seriously.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Chunky12345 posted:

Sorry, but it's impossible to take his voice seriously.

I have kind of this same problem, even though I also seem to like unique voices (I like most of the artists HelloIAmYourHeart mentioned). It might have something to do that no matter what he is singing I can't dissociate his voice from my first experience of it, the intentionally terrible cover of How Do I Live.

Edit: Also, quite a few of his songs give me the uncanny impression of a children's educational science show doing Rush style parodies to teach you about astronomy. Which has its merits, but it's not what I wanna listen to on long drives.

H.P. Shivcraft fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 1, 2012

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
I think the flow of lyrics and narrative in Ithaca is light years beyond what he did on the Homestuck album. At least, that's the best explanation I can come up with as to why I like this album but not Mobius Trip and that other douchebag.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

I think the flow of lyrics and narrative in Ithaca is light years beyond what he did on the Homestuck album. At least, that's the best explanation I can come up with as to why I like this album but not Mobius Trip and that other douchebag.
Ithica is doing pretty well on Bandcamp, Bowman just posted that it's the second highest selling album on there at the moment.

I'm sure a ton of it is spillover Homestuck fans, but still, people wouldn't be buying it if they didn't think it was worth the money.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Or if Homestuck fans didn't want to buy every album ever.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Chunky12345 posted:

Or if Homestuck fans didn't want to buy every album ever.

Do you have some kind of issue with people buying music they like?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Waffnuffly posted:

Do you have some kind of issue with people buying music they like?

That's quite the loaded question you've got there.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

JavaJesus posted:

As a fun side note, here's Hussie's note in the book on the page with the peanut allergy update:

Now the question is, did he have this planned the whole time (since I recall reading a thing where he said he'd been setting up the kid/guardian swap for almost the whole comic), or did writing that note for the book remind him of John's horrible affliction?

I kind of suspect he did have it planned, I've been doing a reread of the story and it's pretty impressive how far back some things are set up. For example, when Bec first appears on screen and is doing his first guardian glowing/flashing, you can see one of the frames that flashes up is being able to see the Green Sun through him.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Chunky12345 posted:

That's quite the loaded question you've got there.

Apologies if I misinterpreted you, but you seemed kinda disdainful about people buying a lot of HS music. Maybe I just haven't slept well today or something

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Waffnuffly posted:

Apologies if I misinterpreted you, but you seemed kinda disdainful about people buying a lot of HS music. Maybe I just haven't slept well today or something

It was directed more at them buying anything tangentially Homestuck related regardless of quality. I personally love almost all the HS albums.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Ah, gotcha, my bad on assuming negativity in the first place. I'm in the same boat; I own all except for I think the Squiddles and Christmas albums and might have missed another somewhere.

Although I don't usually buy an album unless I've listened to most of it first, or have listened to enough that I decide it's worth the asking price at that point even if the rest of it sucks (which has yet to happen). The only album I bought without even listening to the first song was Volume 8, and I sure as poo poo was not disappointed there!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005133

Tell me I'm not crazy, and that this is totally hinting at LE being the one to kill Jack/Bec Noir/whatever we're calling him now.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Tell me I'm not crazy, and that this is totally hinting at LE being the one to kill Jack/Bec Noir/whatever we're calling him now.

You're going to have to explain this one a little more.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess it's because Little Cal is being mentioned in the same page as Falcor being brought behind the shed and having his brains blown out, which I believe is what Dave also told Jade she should do with her "devilbeast". Seeing as their Jack is now at least Bec, one could make a rather twisted leap in logic there and guess that LE is going to kill Jack.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Chunky12345 posted:

You're going to have to explain this one a little more.

He's telling Cal to dress up like LE, and says that he just finished with Falcor... the flying white wolf from Neverending Story... because of "rabies"?

Hmmm...

Okay, scratch that, PM is gonna bite it from LE, my bad, sorry for the confusion.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Meanwhile, on Bandcamp, Mark Hadley has a solo single out.

I wonder what it's like!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm just slapping myself on the forehead that I never saw the Cal becoming Lord English thing coming with panels like THIS sitting around.

Man, this girl just can't die. It's like she's MAID of life.

I'd be surprised if Andrew doesn't make that joke at some point, as a callback to this page