Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
that also is the basis for my new strategy: "place stones in weird places, if a thing develops check it and stick with it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I want to play go right now who is up for a game?

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I want to play go right now who is up for a game?

Whoever is chilling in ITGO I imagine.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I play on IGS though :(

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I play on IGS though :(

I forgot IGS existed. We are on in KGS since they allow what essentially amounts to private club rooms. You can ask for permission to join ITGO by joining the SA room and ask to be put on the nice list.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

big business sloth posted:

that also is the basis for my new strategy: "place stones in weird places, if a thing develops check it and stick with it"

that is a deep thing

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

that is a deep thing

fuckc I hope so *28k*

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
That's kinda what I do (7k). I'm not too big on forward planning, I play by feel (which often bites me in the rear end).

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

fuckc I hope so *28k*

sorry i was drunk when i posted that. no idea what it means. but it is a novel approach to learning.

also why the hell are people playing on IGS. get on kgs and join ITGO

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
i sense a theme. playing drunk go is really bad idea (maybe not??)

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

It's a really bad idea. You get owned by people 10k higher than you

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Yeah, the main thing I notice about dan games is that they won't play the most obvious move because they're always trading and trying to get ahead in different places. But the most obvious thing is the way you see the shapes come together out of the "fog"; they place stones, and you go "huh", and then 3-5 moves later the whole shape comes together and it's beautiful.

What I always see when I watch high level broadcasts is the commentator laying out a sequence or two that amount to "force at A, B, and C and then take the key point of D" and guys like Gu Li will just play D without any preparatory moves. This happens even when the commentator is like 5p himself... Usually when I want to make big moves I spend some time thinking about how I can make forcing moves to induce the play, but those guys are such monstrous readers they can just play poo poo without ceremony :sigh:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

i sense a theme. playing drunk go is really bad idea (maybe not??)

Bad idea, you end up playing "gently caress your piece" and forgetting how to win.

Haoma
Aug 14, 2003
My "sweet spot" is a glass of wine before the game and another as the fuseki is ending. This promotes an agressive middlegame and leaves me sober for the more methodical endgame calculations.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Haomasexual posted:

My "sweet spot" is a glass of wine before the game and another as the fuseki is ending. This promotes an agressive middlegame and leaves me sober for the more methodical endgame calculations.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

Under 15 posted:

What I always see when I watch high level broadcasts is the commentator laying out a sequence or two that amount to "force at A, B, and C and then take the key point of D" and guys like Gu Li will just play D without any preparatory moves. This happens even when the commentator is like 5p himself... Usually when I want to make big moves I spend some time thinking about how I can make forcing moves to induce the play, but those guys are such monstrous readers they can just play poo poo without ceremony :sigh:

Speaking of which, where are some good places to watch high level (pro) games with commentary like that? It seems like it would be really useful.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

The commentary's in korean, so not as useful as you are probably thinking. I watch games on tygem, you can also use wbaduk... You can also try watching baduk tv but that poo poo is hard to follow.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
http://www.gocommentary.com/ was suggested by elementc as the link thank will turn people into go pros.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Athanos posted:

http://www.gocommentary.com/ was suggested by elementc as the link thank will turn people into go pros.

The kiseido sale is extended through the end of the year. Who is gonna buy Takao's for us~

tiedtoatree
Jul 9, 2010
hi guys I'm 4k canadian go player. nice to meet u all ~~~

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club
I was without electricity for a day and ended up creating some go problems. I think the first problem is much easier than the second one.

Problem 1: White to play

Problem 2: Black to kill the top right group

Hint: The white stone on B2 and the black stone on E2 are significant

Follow-up question: What happens if black doesn't have E2?

edit: aaawww poo poo, there's a flaw in the second problem. Addendum: assume that black can win any ko fight

edit 2: I think I fixed the problem now!!

Prodigious fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 28, 2011

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

sorry prod that first problem is too difficult for me there are too many possibilities/variations to explore. it probably starts with T16 though, and involves reducing the black groups liberties by trying to make eyes in the corner.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

My friend introduced me to this game and I am really really awful at it but I want to beat him someday so now I need to do a Rocky training montage except with Go instead of physical exercise.

In ITGO as Gunner.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Jack the Lad posted:

Rocky training montage except with Go instead of physical exercise.

*fast motion still shot of 1000 games being played and lost*

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Alright prod I think I solved the first problem. Look forward to me being horribly wrong, though.

Assuming it's white to live (and not necessarily save all stones), White's move is Q18.
If black T16, white S16, and if black tries to kill on t17 or r19 white will play q19, which will be a threat to live. If black responds (t18 in either case), white plays m19. Then the line goes black j19, white p19, k19, o19, n19 to capture, and L18 to take it all back.
Other black attempts to kill instead of T16 will also result in white getting Q19 in sente, which will lead to the same outcome.
I'm pretty sure white can't save all stones if black acts to capture the L19 group first.

I haven't even tried the second problem, but on first glance if B2 and E2 matter, the problem is probably too ridiculously complicated for me. I'll try some stuff though.

ThePineapple fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 29, 2011

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

who all is gonna toxx some rank gain goals for 2012

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

3k by 2013, that is my kokoro wish~

Haoma
Aug 14, 2003
4d by 2013

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

I'll toss in the big one, 1d by 2013. Currently 7k.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Never has an avatar text been so apropros

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club
gently caress it: 7d by 2013

ThePineapple posted:

Alright prod I think I solved the first problem. Look forward to me being horribly wrong, though.

Assuming it's white to live (and not necessarily save all stones), White's move is Q18.
If black T16, white S16, and if black tries to kill on t17 or r19 white will play q19, which will be a threat to live. If black responds (t18 in either case), white plays m19. Then the line goes black j19, white p19, k19, o19, n19 to capture, and L18 to take it all back.
Other black attempts to kill instead of T16 will also result in white getting Q19 in sente, which will lead to the same outcome.
I'm pretty sure white can't save all stones if black acts to capture the L19 group first.

I haven't even tried the second problem, but on first glance if B2 and E2 matter, the problem is probably too ridiculously complicated for me. I'll try some stuff though.

The answer to the first problem seems correct. I'll post some SGF with variations for the second problem later

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
drat. some brave souls here. guess ill slot myself in to get a solid 3d by 2013

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
Guess I should stop being so lazy. 4k by the start of 2013.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I just wanted to FEEL the essence of the game, what rank should I get to be able to do that?

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

I just wanted to FEEL the essence of the game, what rank should I get to be able to do that?

Hand of god.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
I'm pretty new at Go and this thread is what got me interested in the game (Sldghmmer9 on KGS if any of you folks see me on there).

Played a game this afternoon where a guy ended up playing too conservatively near the sides and allowed me to gain control of pretty much the entire center. I understand the basic idea that corners and sides are easier to surround, but it seems to me that gaining control of the center allows you so much more potential territory and gives you more opportunities to attack if you have strong enough groups/shapes.

At my stage of learning, going into a game with the nebulous strategy of "control the center" :haw: is probably a good way of getting ripped to shreds, but is it generally true that whoever gains more of the center of the board will win the game?

Also, have any of you tried the Go Iphone apps?

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Your Sledgehammer posted:

Played a game this afternoon where a guy ended up playing too conservatively near the sides and allowed me to gain control of pretty much the entire center. I understand the basic idea that corners and sides are easier to surround, but it seems to me that gaining control of the center allows you so much more potential territory and gives you more opportunities to attack if you have strong enough groups/shapes.

At my stage of learning, going into a game with the nebulous strategy of "control the center" :haw: is probably a good way of getting ripped to shreds, but is it generally true that whoever gains more of the center of the board will win the game?

Nope, the problem with the center is also that it takes more moves to claim the same number of points, it's highly inefficient and often looks way bigger than it actually is. Central moyos aren't an invalid strategy or anything but it's a common beginner pitfall because of how large the middle can tend to look and how hard it actually is to claim any truly significant amount. It takes quite a few more stones to make 2 points (a minimally living group) in the center vs the side or corner (in addition to being harder to even live sometimes).

http://senseis.xmp.net/?ClassicalExampleOfCenterVersusSideTerritory
This article on Sensei's has a number of diagrams and chatter on some varying examples.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

WuChou posted:

Nope, the problem with the center is also that it takes more moves to claim the same number of points, it's highly inefficient and often looks way bigger than it actually is. Central moyos aren't an invalid strategy or anything but it's a common beginner pitfall because of how large the middle can tend to look and how hard it actually is to claim any truly significant amount. It takes quite a few more stones to make 2 points (a minimally living group) in the center vs the side or corner (in addition to being harder to even live sometimes).

http://senseis.xmp.net/?ClassicalExampleOfCenterVersusSideTerritory
This article on Sensei's has a number of diagrams and chatter on some varying examples.

I know center control is a really big idea in chess, but in go it's not quite the same. The center is very open and it's a big area, which means there can potentially be tons of points, but the truth is that it's much easier for your opponent to poo poo up an area and make sure that there's no points there than it is for you to enclose it all for yourself. Go can be a very defensive, hard fought game if one or both players have a mind to make it that way; there's pro games on record where both players combined had less than 70 points.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Agh, I've been away from this game so long my account got deleted. Got my rank back though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

close thread. kgs cannot compete