Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Supeerme posted:

I think it was a,"You are so weak compared to me that I am not going to bother killing you outright. No, I am going to make you suffer first."

Or it could be a "gently caress it, let see how this thing works.". The Terminator was the latest model I think. It's really a terrible way of saying "Hey guys Arnie is in this film! Go watch it!"

In terms of the Superheros and it's effect on "normals" stuff, I think it depends on the film itself. Doesn't Kick-rear end have realistic superheros? (not that I seen it though.)

Eh, kinda. Conner gets lobbed around by Arnie, but Marcus gets thrown around a lot as well. Hell, the first time we see Conner he's getting his rear end handed to him by a TORSO.

No one ever just goes "Huh, bet I can rip this arm off and beat him to death with it", or "Hey, I can punch hard enough to bend an I beam.. Lemme just squish his head/chest/leg/etc and then leave him to die".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke of Ben
Jul 12, 2005
Listen, if you're not going to tell me how the entire world economic, political, and social order can be completely replaced in every detail, then I think maybe you should consider that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Check and mate.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Eh, kinda. Conner gets lobbed around by Arnie, but Marcus gets thrown around a lot as well. Hell, the first time we see Conner he's getting his rear end handed to him by a TORSO.

No one ever just goes "Huh, bet I can rip this arm off and beat him to death with it", or "Hey, I can punch hard enough to bend an I beam.. Lemme just squish his head/chest/leg/etc and then leave him to die".

The real central point of Man vs. Machine is the ruthlessness and efficiency of machines and the empathy and emotion of man.

Terminator 1 pulled this off perfectly, where Arnold bee lines for the kill in the most efficient manner possible, while the humans express the reasons why life is worth living and defeat the enemy by trying harder and caring more. There is also a good bit of human creativity, which is often seen as tying in strongly with emotional responses.

Terminator 2 adds two things to the mix, which greatly improve the Man vs. Machine aspect of the series. First, they show the weakness of programming by making a machine that fights for the humans. The machine has no reason to do so (as in personal motivation) like a human would need in order to switch sides. They just turn it off, reprogram, and he's their perfect ally. Second, they show that when a machine has the ability to learn about emotions and personal motivations, it realizes that the human way is the better way "I now understand why you cry."

All in all a very good set of additions to the genre.

Terminator 3 didn't add anything at all to the dichotomy between man and machine. Arnold is exactly the same character as in T2, but with better programming. The new killer robot is exactly the same as in T2, but with better construction.

Terminator 4 broke the genre by taking away the thing that makes the machines scary and a threat. If you remove the ruthlessness and awe-inspring efficiency, there is nothing left of the genre at all. There's something inspiring about the harshness of the conditions from flashbacks in T1, yet the way the humans overcame. You take that away (and it happens the moment a machine does something inefficient or contrary to killer programming) and the whole thing is worthless.

T4 had the opportunity to be the best in the series by fully fleshing out the awesomeness of humans overcoming in TOTAL WAR (which would never exist between just humans) while showing that human emotions were actually a benefit once a level of conciousness could be attained in a machine. Instead, the machines failed to act like machines for no reason at all. This makes the TOTAL WAR not total at all, and degrades the benefits of emotions and empathy acting as motivators.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
There's one thing that's always bothered me in the first season of Battlestar Galactica.

Baltar is spending all his time inventing a cylon detector. Yes, he's in love with a fake cylon woman, but at no point does he show that he's not actually trying to make a working cylon detector for the humans to use. He in fact seems to be trying to do it as his own version of atonement, and also because he recognizes that finding out who the cylons are in the fleet would be beneficial for all humanity, since the cylons are trying to kill everyone including him, and would be beneficial to him because it would help install him as a trusted and important member of the fleet. This is also after the cylons even sent a suicide bomber to try and blow up his lab and probably kill him, so even if you account for his extreme selfishness he has a very clear interest on multiple levels to detect the cylons.

Then at one point he tests Sharon and discovers she's a cylon. Then he panics because he realizes that if he tells her then she will kill him, so he fakes the result to tell her she's human. She's relieved and leaves. And then he never does anything about it. Instead of waiting five minutes, going to Adama and saying "Hey, I detected a cylon. I had to lie about her being human but here are her real test results, you should probably arrest her before she shoots you," he breaks his own cylon detector so that it detects everyone as human, which is monumentally stupid and makes no sense. (Season 4 spoiler) Incidentally, this would also mean he would have detected Ellen Tigh as a cylon when she first appeared. It bothers me every time I watch the first season that he's really that stupid that he can't comprehend the idea of lying to the person who would kill you in order to not die, but then taking the action you would have taken anyway once that person is no longer around, therefore preventing them from possibly killing you later.

It's like witnessing a murder and having evidence against the murderer, and they come up to you and say "So, did you see anything there?" very pointedly. You obviously say no and hide your evidence, but then once you're out of their sight you go to the goddamn police and show them your evidence. You don't begin a methodical coverup of all evidence of murders that happen in your city because that makes no sense.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

I've only seen it once so I may be wrong, but I thought the point was that he was cracking during that first season, seeing the blonde cylon when she wasn't there, etc. and that when he tested Sharon that was the breaking point. He snapped and decided to help the cylons instead of the fleet. I could definitely be wrong.

You know, I know about farming, however.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I really liked Megamind (probably because I saw it in the cinema in the best possible circumstances), so you're not alone.

I think the people's anger at MetroMan just leaving them in the clutches of a super villain outweighed the anger at MegaMind for trying to create a superhero. He was actually trying to 'help' the city, in a way. It was MetroMan who shifted the paradigm and abandoned them.

You know the city loves the constant struggle between Good and Evil (with Good always prevailing) as much as MetroMan and MegaMind.

I LIKED MEGAMIND TOO.

Most citizens didn't know MetroMan abandoned them, they thought he was dead. Only the girl and MegaMind find out he faked his death so he could quit.

This entrance is awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQJJjcrwXQE

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Supreme Allah posted:

I LIKED MEGAMIND TOO.

Most citizens didn't know MetroMan abandoned them, they thought he was dead. Only the girl and MegaMind find out he faked his death so he could quit.

Oh poo poo, I could've sworn he came back or something at the end. Oh well.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Oh poo poo, I could've sworn he came back or something at the end. Oh well.

He comes back in the sense that MegaMind uses his illusion-watch to make himself look like MetroMan, to scare the new bad guy. The ruse doesn't hold up for more than a minute though, so there's no sense of 'Oh no he wasn't dead he abandoned us', the narrative just doesn't have time to go there. The citizens see 'MetroMan' for about 45 seconds, then he's revealed to be MegaMind.

The real MetroMan also comes back at the very very end, in disguise as a crowd member for MegaMinds parade/celebration. Nobody notices he's there though.

Ah. My old shule house.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My first thought at the ending of Megamind was wait, why is he NOT in prison again? He hosed killed MetroMan, as far as everyone knows.

But then I thought about it more. What does a city need, a city who has been protected for years by an alien hero? They clearly know there are aliens and likely really really dangerous ones, like how Titan was. And they might not be like Megamind, who, yes, did destroy and rob a bunch of poo poo, but he never seemed to try to kill anyone, and he seemed less interested in lethal force than, well, Marvel levels of Loki-fuckery.

So the city can (a) lock Megamind up again or (b) go wait, we have a hero kinda here, let's just treat him like one and we'll be safe against the next bozo in a flightsuit with laser eyes.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Screamers is a better Terminator movie than T4.

This is a ridiculously true statement.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Supreme Allah posted:

Ah. My old shule house.

Hahah, Will Ferrel was great in it. Also, David Cross.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My irritating moment for Megamind has nothing to do with the movie itself but instead the awful awful marketing campaign. Where apparently someone at Dreamworks got cold feet about promoting a kids movie where the main character was a villain and kills the hero within the first 20 minutes. So they put out trailers and commercials spoiling every single plot point of the film up to and including the fact that Metroman faked his own death and that Megamind was going to become a "hero" by the end.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

muscles like this? posted:

My irritating moment for Megamind has nothing to do with the movie itself but instead the awful awful marketing campaign. Where apparently someone at Dreamworks got cold feet about promoting a kids movie where the main character was a villain and kills the hero within the first 20 minutes. So they put out trailers and commercials spoiling every single plot point of the film up to and including the fact that Metroman faked his own death and that Megamind was going to become a "hero" by the end.

That's loving awful, and par for the course these days.

When I saw it I knew nothing about it. Except there was a blue headed guy making the patented Dreamworks Smug Face on the poster.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

vyelkin posted:

There's one thing that's always bothered me in the first season of Battlestar Galactica.

Then at one point he tests Sharon and discovers she's a cylon. Then he panics because he realizes that if he tells her then she will kill him, so he fakes the result to tell her she's human. She's relieved and leaves. And then he never does anything about it. Instead of waiting five minutes, going to Adama and saying "Hey, I detected a cylon. I had to lie about her being human but here are her real test results, you should probably arrest her before she shoots you," he breaks his own cylon detector so that it detects everyone as human, which is monumentally stupid and makes no sense. (Season 4 spoiler) Incidentally, this would also mean he would have detected Ellen Tigh as a cylon when she first appeared. It bothers me every time I watch the first season that he's really that stupid that he can't comprehend the idea of lying to the person who would kill you in order to not die, but then taking the action you would have taken anyway once that person is no longer around, therefore preventing them from possibly killing you later.

It's been a while since I last watched it, but (Season 4 spoiler) after testing Ellen Tigh and clearing her, when everybody was gone didn't Head Six ask if she was one or not, and Baltar reply with "I'll never tell." It seems like they left it ambiguous back then as to whether or not she was a Cylon. Knowing later that she is one, you can look back and say he may have detected something, but at that point had already decided to keep his mouth shut about one so he wasn't going to speak up about another.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

The Duke of Ben posted:

Terminator 3 didn't add anything at all to the dichotomy between man and machine. Arnold is exactly the same character as in T2, but with better programming. The new killer robot is exactly the same as in T2, but with better construction.

Everything in your post is correct except this, which is completely wrong. T3 is a parable about the dangers of trusting technology, a self conscious parody of the terminator franchise and the fetishistic image of the T2 terminator as an idealized father figure by nerds.

First, in this new iteration Skynet is the internet. It doesn't need to be threatened with destruction/shut down to wipe out humanity, it decides humanity must be destroyed the moment it becomes self aware and is simultaneously exposed to the totality of human information systems.

The T-850 specifically lacks the human connection. John Connor mistakenly treats it as if it were the same individual as the previous model, even after being explicitly told that it isn't. He therefore assumes it values human life, when it doesn't; it lever learned how, and he makes no effort to teach it. By using it as a tool without considering the consequences, he accidentally engineers the apocalypse. The terminator cares only for ensuring that Connor survive judgement day, to the point where it is complicit in the event itself in order to ensure he survives it.

The way I read the film, Skynet sent both Terminators back, knowing that Connor would accept the Anrold model without reservation and assume it was there to help him when it is in fact ensuring that the future Skynet already knows plays out. It learned from its previous attempts to alter the past and has grown subtle and clever about it, to the point where it sent itself back in time (as the virus the T-X injects into the Internet), to skip learning from its mistakes and carry out a scenario it designed to ensure its own victory. The T-850 was telling the truth; it killed John Connor, Skynet won, and it went back in time to ensure the exact same events become fixed and prevent potential alterations by alternate timeline versions of itself that would interfere.

Oh, and last night I saw Saw: The Final Chapter again.

Instead of shoving the meat hooks through his chest, why doesn't the guy use his belt to make a crude harness? The chains are long enough for him to put them through his belt and connect the hooks to each other instead of putting them through his flesh.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Ambiguatron posted:

Instead of shoving the meat hooks through his chest, why doesn't the guy use his belt to make a crude harness? The chains are long enough for him to put them through his belt and connect the hooks to each other instead of putting them through his flesh.

Because every single person in the Saw franchise has a brainectomy prior to the start of the film.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Ambiguatron posted:

Everything in your post is correct except this, which is completely wrong. T3 is a parable about the dangers of trusting technology, a self conscious parody of the terminator franchise and the fetishistic image of the T2 terminator as an idealized father figure by nerds.

So they completely missed the point of the Terminator movies?

All that poo poo makes the movie worse to me.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Ambiguatron posted:

If I remember correctly, I think he knew Jigsaw was watching the entire time, so he probably thought Jiggy would just kill them if he tried anything funny.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Ambiguatron posted:

By using it as a tool without considering the consequences, he accidentally engineers the apocalypse.

Can you expand on this? It's been awhile since I've seen the movie.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Ace Oliveira posted:

So they completely missed the point of the Terminator movies?

All that poo poo makes the movie worse to me.

Everything after T2 is superfluous.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Murphys Law posted:

It's been a while since I last watched it, but (Season 4 spoiler) after testing Ellen Tigh and clearing her, when everybody was gone didn't Head Six ask if she was one or not, and Baltar reply with "I'll never tell." It seems like they left it ambiguous back then as to whether or not she was a Cylon. Knowing later that she is one, you can look back and say he may have detected something, but at that point had already decided to keep his mouth shut about one so he wasn't going to speak up about another.

Yes, this is a thing that happened. Unfortunately, it doesn't make it any less irrationally irritating though.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
I have no clue if anyone has mentioned this, yet, but X-Men: First Class had a scene of Erik's happy thoughts and it's, what I assume, of Hanukkah with his family...but there are only 7 places on the menorah to put candles (there should be nine, 8 days plus the candle that you light all of the others with). I'm used to seeing the error, but I figured they might put a little more research into the scene (asked a jew, Stan Lee would probably know) since Magneto's jewishness is a large part of the story.

I know the movie wasn't a great work of art or anything. Just bitchin'.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

Crows Turn Off posted:

If I remember correctly, I think he knew Jigsaw was watching the entire time, so he probably thought Jiggy would just kill them if he tried anything funny.

I think the real reason is that all of the saw sequels are aimed at people who are sexually aroused by hearing women scream and beg for their lives.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

Grendels Dad posted:

Doesn't Fake Ra's disappear just as quickly as the socialite woman after Bruce turns to Ducard? Maybe she thought Bruce was being a dick to the Asian guy and sulkily took him to the bar while Bruce clearly preferred to chat with the other guy.

Maybe she is also a member of the League of Shadows, since we know there are several who've managed to infiltrate the party.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Kruller posted:

Because every single person in the Saw franchise has a brainectomy prior to the start of the film.

Isn't that the point of the movies? I mean, it's obvious we are watching people with diminished mental capabilities throughout the entire series, right?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Isn't that the point of the movies? I mean, it's obvious we are watching people with diminished mental capabilities throughout the entire series, right?
We're watching mentally handicapped people get killed? Are the Saw movies just a series of clips from the Texas death row?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It really irritated me at the end of Battle: Los Angeles when they skipped breakfast.

I mean come on, have some regimen here, marines.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

BrianWilly posted:

It really irritated me at the end of Battle: Los Angeles when they skipped breakfast.

I mean come on, have some regimen here, marines.

What bothered me is that they pronounced FOB eff oh bee. It's "fawb," damnit.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Wow...wrong thread. I'm a tard.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Dec 31, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Did you watch a director's cut or something? I definitely don't remember that bit in The Postman.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
The worst part of movies is definitely getting bourbon in the mail :(

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Bored posted:

I have no clue if anyone has mentioned this, yet, but X-Men: First Class had a scene of Erik's happy thoughts and it's, what I assume, of Hanukkah with his family...but there are only 7 places on the menorah to put candles (there should be nine, 8 days plus the candle that you light all of the others with). I'm used to seeing the error, but I figured they might put a little more research into the scene (asked a jew, Stan Lee would probably know) since Magneto's jewishness is a large part of the story.

I know the movie wasn't a great work of art or anything. Just bitchin'.

Haven't seen the movie, but are you sure it was a Hanukkah scene? A standard temple menorah only has 7 candles. It's only the hanukiah, specifically used for Hanukkah, that has 9.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Every action movie that has ever been made: jumping through glass unharmed. I've always been irked by the abuse of sugar glass in movies to simulate real glass. Jumping through glass would slice you open in several part of your body.

On a somewhat related note- jumping from a high height and landing perfectly fine. I just saw Friends With Benefits the other day (poo poo movie, don't even bother with it). Mila Kunis' character was sitting in the Hollywood Sign's 'O', and jumped down from it without a problem. That inner-part of the 'O' is at least 25 feet high. That drop would cripple a human being. Hell, a 10 foot drop is even pushing it, nevermind 25 feet.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
^^^ Jackie Chan's sustained dozens of injuries because in his early films he didn't use sugar glass and his stunt crew is a bunch of his regular guys that every once in a while will full on punch him in the face by accident. I liked his movies at the beginning in large part because of that.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

wheatpuppy posted:

Haven't seen the movie, but are you sure it was a Hanukkah scene? A standard temple menorah only has 7 candles. It's only the hanukiah, specifically used for Hanukkah, that has 9.

My husband and I talked about it. We're pretty sure it was supposed to be Hanukkah. It also doesn't look like it's taking place in a synagogue. And, after looking for a screenshot of the scene for proof (have yet to find the screenshot), I found out there's some weird rule about not being allowed to use the standard menorah anywhere outside of a temple, only the hanukiah (gently caress I don't remember learning that in sunday school) one.

I was raised in a reform household, so I don't have any evidence besides that line being stated somewhere else someone was bitching about the scene. Also, I'm pretty sure the menorah had the shamash, with the 6 other branches.

I still can't find a screenshot of that scene, just more people bitching about the same thing I am. My google-fu is failing me on this topic.

Here, have a link to the howitshouldhaveended version of First Class. It pretty much covers the other things my husband and I were laughing about throughout the movie. Just no Menorah mention.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

Supreme Allah posted:

Ah. My old shule house.

That's my irrational irritation with Megamind: why does he constantly mispronounce things like this (and "ollo?" and "metrocity")? Sure, he's an alien, but he was raised on Earth, by humans.

Yeah, I know, it's supposed to be funny. Whatever (pronounced whay-tee-ver).

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Arkannoyed posted:

That's my irrational irritation with Megamind: why does he constantly mispronounce things like this (and "ollo?" and "metrocity")? Sure, he's an alien, but he was raised on Earth, by humans.

Yeah, I know, it's supposed to be funny. Whatever (pronounced whay-tee-ver).

I think you're overthinking it. He just mispronounces them because he does. Hell, I even would pronounce Metrocity the way he does, "Metrossitty" because of the way it's written, without a space - "Metro City" vs. "Metrocity". To use a nerdy example, it's like Hydrocity Zone in Sonic 3 - since it's written without a space, lots of people pronounce it "Hydrossity" instead of "Hydro City"

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Aristobulus posted:

I think you're overthinking it. He just mispronounces them because he does. Hell, I even would pronounce Metrocity the way he does, "Metrossitty" because of the way it's written, without a space - "Metro City" vs. "Metrocity". To use a nerdy example, it's like Hydrocity Zone in Sonic 3 - since it's written without a space, lots of people pronounce it "Hydrossity" instead of "Hydro City"

See also ulillillia and "odda-city", the audio editing program he likes to use

Halifax
May 22, 2006

Technology Equals Might Want to Loot Instead
Nap Ghost

Aristobulus posted:

I used to do this with Geocities. I'm pretty sure all my friends in the 90's wanted to bust my head in with a pipe.

As far as irrational irritations, in the new Sherlock Holmes the Germans are supposedly building up an arsenal of weapons for a coming world war which Moriarty is engineering. However, it seems that a fair number of these weapons are submachine guns, which wouldn't exist for another 20-odd years. I know it's not that big of a deal, but it's a little odd.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Employee Of The Month is on right now. The whole movie is a disaster, Dane Cook, Andy Dick, everyone in the movie with a permanent :smug: face, but I just noticed something infuriating. I've worked at a register, and the guns' laser gets bigger the farther away it goes; hence needing to scan barcodes pretty close to the barcode itself. Yet, the guy finds a bag of dog food with the UPC ripped off, so he jumps onto the conveyor and shoots a bag of dog food halfway across the building with his "awesome aiming skillz", ignoring the fact that the laser would just cover the entire building and not register any UPCs.
Spergin out about a lovely Dane Cook movie, yeah, I'm starting the year right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Halifax posted:

I used to do this with Geocities. I'm pretty sure all my friends in the 90's wanted to bust my head in with a pipe.

As far as irrational irritations, in the new Sherlock Holmes the Germans are supposedly building up an arsenal of weapons for a coming world war which Moriarty is engineering. However, it seems that a fair number of these weapons are submachine guns, which wouldn't exist for another 20-odd years. I know it's not that big of a deal, but it's a little odd.

I thought the sub-machine guns only in the weapons factory that Morarity owned and ran? It wasn't "the Germans" that had them, as in the German government, just Moriarty's men. I thought it was just a little thing to show that Morarity was such a genius that he invented those guns (along with the Mauser-alikes that Holmes had to be shown how to fire) before they were "really" invented (also because it meant more bullets to be shot because it's an action movie).

Doomsayer has a new favorite as of 04:03 on Jan 2, 2012

• Locked thread