Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Even the holidays can't put a halt on the job hunt for some of us. Anyone here ever worked for/with Sleepy Giant? Just interviewed with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

While people are asking, anyone know anyone or are working at Mediatonic (labs) in London?

Merry christmas folks, I actually have time off to recuperate! And I might write documents if I'm feeling particularly frisky.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

GetWellGamers posted:

Even the holidays can't put a halt on the job hunt for some of us. Anyone here ever worked for/with Sleepy Giant? Just interviewed with them.

Went through a couple rounds with them for ops mgr/live producer right after they moved but dropped out due to distance, great team that had great referrals from everyone I spoke too.

nibe
Feb 23, 2008
Not to be a bother, but I'm kind of discouraged by the lack of feedback, did I do something wrong?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Merry Christmas thread!

The Oid
Jul 15, 2004

Chibber of worlds

nibe posted:

I'm a recently-graduated programmer with what I consider to be a decent portfolio and website for my level of experience, but I could be wrong. I'm open to criticism and suggestions. I'm also trying to think of a new solo project, would an iPhone game be a good idea even if I'm really trying to get into full-size/AAA development?

https://jameslrowen.com

I generally don't comment on portfolios, as I'm not involved in hiring people, but one thing I will say is that it's not entirely clear what kind of job you're aiming for. In other fields, "Developer" might be synonymous with programmer outside of the games industry, but "Game Developer" is a very ambiguous term. Even if you go to your resume, it's still not entirely clear. Obviously one can infer that you want to be a programmer by the nature of your portfolio, but you don't want someone looking at your portfolio to have to infer anything. Recruiters have so many resumes and portfolios to go through, that they'll reject one in a few seconds if it doesn't immediately get to the point. When selling yourself, always ask "will this tell someone why I'm awesome in less than 5 seconds?". You need to grab a recruiter's interest within a few seconds if you don't want to go straight onto the "no" pile.

With that in mind, I'd probably put your portfolio right after your Welcome section on the first page. The post-mortem is great, but I'd assume that a recruiter that's pushed for time isn't likely to read it. The portfolio on the other hand is much stronger, and leaves a much better first impression.

I could be wrong here, but if you're going for a programming job in AAA, I probably wouldn't bother listing things like HTML, 3D modelling, Photoshop, etc, as they're not really relevant.

As far as I'm aware, an iPhone game should be fine for a portfolio, regardless of whether or not you're going into AAA. The only downside I can think of is that it might be more difficult for someone to download and play your game if they're not registered as an iPhone developer, or they don't have an iPhone. I don't think that'll be a problem though, as my understanding is that most places won't actually download and play portfolio games, for security reasons.

If you're going to be trying to network with developers in person (local IGDA, GDC, etc), then an iPhone game is a pretty good demonstration of skill if it's polished, as you can easily get it into someone's hands, which would be impossible otherwise. No one is going to look down on an iPhone game in a portfolio, even in AAA, as it'd be impossible to create a AAA game for a portfolio piece (unless you have access to millions of dollars). If anything, working within the limitations of a fixed platform would be a good thing, I think.

The Oid fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 24, 2011

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

nibe posted:

I sent you an email, I wanted to clean up a few things and post some more writing before I put my portfolio on here, but that's taking too long.

I'm a recently-graduated programmer with what I consider to be a decent portfolio and website for my level of experience, but I could be wrong. I'm open to criticism and suggestions. I'm also trying to think of a new solo project, would an iPhone game be a good idea even if I'm really trying to get into full-size/AAA development?

I spent a few moments looking over your sketchpad piece and while some of it is very nitpicky, it makes for a poor showing of a portfolio.

For me your portfolio is literally the first impression I have of you, and when I open the zip file the first thing I see is a folder full of object files. Make clean and delete the Debug dirs before zipping up! Likewise I see some machine specific files left around eh 'rowen@rowen-eee' and 'The Champ@The Champ-PC'? Opening up the first source file main.cpp, I see whole functions commented out, and random function calls commented out without a clear reason why.

If someone checked in code to source control that was commented out and it was commented as to why it's commented out I'd go over and yell at them.

Next in the keyPress loop I see about 200 magic numbers. I'd go through the entire code base and 'demagic' it. For instance I have no idea what this means:
code:
// mouse is dragging, update anything being drawn
void mouseDrag(int x, int y)
{
	if (currentMode > 6)
	{
		int xdif = x - clickX;
		int ydif = y - clickY;
		clickX = x;
		clickY = y;
		if (canvas.selectedObj != NULL)
		{
			if (currentMode == 7)
				canvas.selectedObj->Update(canvas.selectedObj->p1.x + xdif, 
canvas.selectedObj->p1.y + ydif, canvas.selectedObj->p2.x + xdif, canvas.selectedObj->p2.y + ydif);
			else if (currentMode == 8)
				canvas.selectedObj->Rotate(ydif);
			else if (currentMode == 9)
				canvas.selectedObj->Scale(-ydif);
		}
	}
	else
		canvas.UpdateAdd(x, y);
}
What's Mode's -1 - 6 and why do they get update add on them? Would this block look better?
code:
		if (canvas.selectedObj != NULL)
		{
			if (currentMode == MODE_DRAG)
				canvas.selectedObj->Update(canvas.selectedObj->p1.x + xdif, 
canvas.selectedObj->p1.y + ydif, canvas.selectedObj->p2.x + xdif, canvas.selectedObj->p2.y + ydif);
			else if (currentMode == MODE_ROTATE)
				canvas.selectedObj->Rotate(ydif);
			else if (currentMode == MODE_SCALE)
				canvas.selectedObj->Scale(-ydif);
		}
or even better maybe:
code:
			if (currentMode == MODE_DRAG)
				canvas.selectedObj->UpdateBy(xdif, ydif);
Again I did say it was being very nit-picky, but as someone who handled first pass resume screens and programming tests for a AAA studio, I'd pass on someone who presented SketchPad as an example of the best code they could write.

I'll also just close it with your selection code...
code:
	if (hits != 0)
	{
		GLuint *p, numNames, minDepth = 0xffffffff;
		p = hitRecords;
		for (int i = 0; i < hits; i++)
		{
			numNames = *p;
			p++;
			if (*p < minDepth)
			{
				minDepth = *p;
				hitName = *(p + 2);
			}
			p += 3;
		}
	}
EDIT: Fixed broken tables, the Update line was 176 characters long with no linespaces.

The Oid
Jul 15, 2004

Chibber of worlds
That reminds me of a general point for graduate programmers trying to get jobs, aside from the actual cleanliness of code, it's generally a good idea to organise your project files in a clean manner as well. The default organisation that Visual Studio will give you is gash. This is more of an issue for C++ than C#, but it still applies to C# to some extent.

One suggested way to organise your project:

Binaries/ <- .EXE and .DLL files go here. Game data may be nested in here too in a Data subdirectory, or potentially as a Data/ directory in the project root

Intermediate <- Intermediate files (.obj files and the like) go here. If I want to do a full-rebuild from scratch I should be able to achieve that by deleting this directory and building the project again.

Source/ <- Game source code, and only game source code/scripts go here. Solution file (Visual Studio .sln) goes here, and possibly any script files used to create a build. Each Visual Studio project has a subdirectory in this folder, rather than just being thrown in the Source directory.

For each sub-project (C++)
Source/ProjectName/Include
Source/ProjectName/Source

I've been told that this is one of the things that hiring managers will look at when judging graduate portfolio projects, so it's worth looking at, and not just a nit-picky thing.

You don't have to use this exact organisation scheme. Any tidy and well thought-out organisation of project files will do.

By the way, Game Coding Complete by Mike McShaffry http://www.amazon.ca/Game-Coding-Complete-Mike-McShaffry/dp/1932111751 is an excellent resource for this all this kind of good practice stuff that you pick up with experience, but that no one really tells you as a student. Definitely one of the best books in my collection, I can't recommend it highly enough. I'd take some of the "this is how to code this type of system" parts with a pinch of salt, some if it's useful, some of it, not so much, but the insight on topics like debugging, project management, good practices, is very worthwhile.

The Oid fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 24, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

nibe posted:

Not to be a bother, but I'm kind of discouraged by the lack of feedback, did I do something wrong?
Nah, it's just a busy time of the year. I've been scrambling, and I assume most others have been too - either scrambling before the holidays, or gone during them.

Sooo...

nibe posted:

None of your games show terribly well in screenshots. That isn't a bad thing (student games without a ton of art time seldom look great / not everyone's a graphics programmer), but work around it. I'd highly recommend Youtube'ing up some gameplay footage for every single game you've got up there (and probably also of your vector tool being used).

I'd also drop the website entirely. Focus your portfolio down toward the sorts of jobs you're applying for. A few games + a tool shows well for a jr games programmer, since tools work will doubtless come up.

That aside, looks fine to me.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Shalinor posted:

I'd also drop the website entirely. Focus your portfolio down toward the sorts of jobs you're applying for. A few games + a tool shows well for a jr games programmer, since tools work will doubtless come up.

Hate to jump on the tail end of portfolio critique, but does this mean that I, as a person probably applying to content design/technical design jobs, should I try to turn my portfolio into a zipped up file of deliverables versus having a full website?

Right now I have something up at a website as well and I'm just pointing people there from my resume. It's organized as a short youtube video and some text but I can do something else if that's not effective.

Also, and this is a weird question, but is the writing and everything too, uh, enthusiastic? Should the language be more up front about what I'm doing, or does it work as it is? Posting this on Christmas Eve's Eve is probably the worst possible time to ask, but it would be great to figure out if I should have this up before I start the application gauntlet early January.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

RoboCicero posted:

Hate to jump on the tail end of portfolio critique, but does this mean that I, as a person probably applying to content design/technical design jobs, should I try to turn my portfolio into a zipped up file of deliverables versus having a full website?
Oh, god no, no no no, you WANT a website, that is good / you must do it. Check out his portfolio - at the end, he lists a website he made for a small business. No real reason to list that, if you're not applying for website-related jobs. That's all I mean, drop that website from the portfolio list of projects entirely, since it just kind of drags down the other solid development projects.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Haha, okay, my bad. It's a vague concern that I'm accidentally doing something incredibly gauche, but I haven't met anyone who cares enough to tell me :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Merry Xmas thread, hopefully by next year, things will go as I want. :)

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

I know the OP basically stated that trying to get into writing is futile (currently a college psych sophomore exploring my options), but what sorts of things do people in the industry look for in a writing portfolio?

Games in particular just seem like they have so much potential to be more than what they currently are, writing-wise, but reading this thread is :ohdear: as all hell.

Androc fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 26, 2011

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

It's possible, and if you really really really want to be a writer I'd encourage you to pursue it, but just go into it knowing it's going to be a long hard road and you'll spend a hell of a lot of time scraping by on little freelance gigs before you make anything resembling a stable career.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Bioware Austin is hiring a writing position right now, if you are familiar/can be familiar with the NWN toolset. You'll have to find the link yourself, don't have it on hand.

e: nevermind: https://jobs.ea.com/search/view.do?id=a0z50000000snDI

Leif. fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 26, 2011

nibe
Feb 23, 2008
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses.

The Oid posted:

I generally don't comment on portfolios, as I'm not involved in hiring people, but one thing I will say is that it's not entirely clear what kind of job you're aiming for.
Point taken - I did assume "developer" was an adequate term, but now that you mention it, most jobs I'm looking at have "programmer" in the title, so I'll work on making that more clear.

The Oid posted:

The post-mortem is great, but I'd assume that a recruiter that's pushed for time isn't likely to read it. The portfolio on the other hand is much stronger, and leaves a much better first impression.
The point of the article(s) is two-fold: to display my communication and writing skills (is this not important?), and to shed some light on the work I put into that project (this is the focus of the piece I'm working on now). I've also been working under the assumption that writing articles is a good way to flesh out your site, but I may have incorrectly drawn a parallel between increasing site traffic and impressing potential employers. I put the welcome message in for the purpose of directing people to the portfolio/resume if they're not interested in the writing.

Hughlander posted:

Again I did say it was being very nit-picky, but as someone who handled first pass resume screens and programming tests for a AAA studio, I'd pass on someone who presented SketchPad as an example of the best code they could write.
Oh man, that's embarassing. Sketchpad is a bit older and I didn't go through and clean it up, which clearly shows. Scholarly Conduct is by far my best and biggest work, and I've put a ton of time into cleaning up hacks, refactoring, and documenting it. The only reason I added Sketchpad is because it's my most portfolio-ready C++ project. Now you've shown me that anyone focused on C++ is going to pass up the better stuff and get a really bad impression. Since C++ is still king I it's think important to have it on there, so I'll probably start improving Sketchpad.

The Oid posted:

I could be wrong here, but if you're going for a programming job in AAA, I probably wouldn't bother listing things like HTML, 3D modelling, Photoshop, etc, as they're not really relevant.

Shalinor posted:

Ok, so the point of all the extraneous stuff is to illustrate what I believe is my greatest asset: the ability to dive in and quickly learn whatever I need to in a given situation. I don't have a lot of real-world experience, but I have savvy and competence, and that's what I'm trying to convey. I'd prefer to work for an indie studio where people usually have to wear multiple hats and step up to new challenges, so I slanted it in that direction. Do you think it actually hurts my portfolio to have that stuff in it? It's all part of showing that I'm well-rounded and flexible, and I feel like my portfolio/resume would be really sparse and limited without it (which of course could just mean that it needs to be stronger).

I'm also kind of conflicted about web development. I'll be doing more web work (with a partner) while I'm job hunting, and even though it's not my first choice I would take a job for it. Would it look better if I linked to a website for our "web design studio" instead of the individual project? If only to show initiative and that I'm not just sitting around in the meantime.

Shalinor, if screenshots aren't very flattering, how am I going to work around that with videos? I actually have a gameplay video put together, but it exposes more flaws than the screenshots (i.e. audio, minor glitches). I keep gravitating towards writing as the best way to explain the stuff I'm proud of.

One last thing - GDC, is it worth the time and expense for someone in my position? I'm going to apply to be a volunteer first.

nibe fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 27, 2011

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Shalinor posted:

Oh man, don't worry, we've got this.

We're going to license GameBryo.

I have had this told to me in professional environments both ironically and unironically. God damned heart breaking.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

nibe posted:

Shalinor, if screenshots aren't very flattering, how am I going to work around that with videos? I actually have a gameplay video put together, but it exposes more flaws than the screenshots (i.e. audio, minor glitches). I keep gravitating towards writing as the best way to explain the stuff I'm proud of.
If your projects only show well in carefully timed freeze frames, and even then, they are visually unimpressive, you need to improve your work. A lot. More likely, though, the small glitches are not as important as you think they are.

Videos are almost always more important than screenshots on a programmer's portfolio, simply because programmers make systems, and systems really don't show in freeze frames. All that shows is art... which is only good if you have an artist.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

nibe posted:

One last thing - GDC, is it worth the time and expense for someone in my position? I'm going to apply to be a volunteer first.

Yes, so long as you go into it smart. Your first GDC is almost always worthless or nearly so unless you're really lucky. Mainly your first GDC is so you can have a good second GDC- you start introducing yourself around, collect cards, make contacts, and then the second year, after you've maintained the good relationships, you start getting meetings, let's meet for lunch, what parties are you going to, and then you're in business, because most of the best networking at the show happens outside the show.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Shindragon posted:

hopefully by next year, things will go as I want. :)
If the industry is daft enough to allow me in I'm pretty sure anyone can get in :v:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

GetWellGamers posted:

Yes, so long as you go into it smart. Your first GDC is almost always worthless or nearly so unless you're really lucky. Mainly your first GDC is so you can have a good second GDC- you start introducing yourself around, collect cards, make contacts, and then the second year, after you've maintained the good relationships, you start getting meetings, let's meet for lunch, what parties are you going to, and then you're in business, because most of the best networking at the show happens outside the show.

So the extension to this is, yes. Go as a volunteer if you can, meet people (being a volunteer is a good way to do this, especially if you get assigned to one of the panel/session rooms, because you can chat up people in between sessions) hand out cards, etc. Go around the expo floor and chat up people at booths that are relevant to your career path, network, try to meet them at parties. Don't be aggressive about it, you're laying the ground work now.

Then, if you can come back next year (ideally not as a volunteer), as long as you've maintained those relationships, and remember who people were, you've got a good foundation for some great networking opportunities.

It's not that your first GDC is that much different than your second, other than that you don't know people there. It's mostly that it will be a foreign environment to you, and you'll be overwhelmed.

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

New Years resolution #1: Have a job by the summer, work like a crazy fucker on my art. Happy new years GJM!

It's drinkin time!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

My grandma is driving me insane. Only here one more day. Fun to spend time with my dad, though. But seriously, grandma, please, no more Fox news.

Actually getting some real work done on my laptop though, which is pretty neat. Finally getting back into the groove on our casual game. (yay for working through New Years :v:)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'm tired of explaining to old people what a game designer is and does. Next year I'll just say I'm an artist or programmer. Happy new year!

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I found "I work out what the rules of the game are, what happens when you press the buttons, and where the baddies are" is always close enough and relatable.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
My answer is usually a variation of:
"Programmers are the ones who write the code to make the game function but I am responsible for putting everything together to make the game fun."

Usually the question that prompts it is something like "so you write computer programs?", which is sort of why I have to clarify that.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Just say 'I'm the idea guy'

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
I sort of became the family celebrity when I mentioned I work on games, as just about everyone related to me under seventeen and over ten wants to be a game designer

I play a drat good Cool Uncle. :U

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

"You know like... a blueprint for a building... well I make those... sort of"

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Aliginge posted:

I sort of became the family celebrity when I mentioned I work on games, as just about everyone related to me under seventeen and over ten wants to be a game designer

I play a drat good Cool Uncle. :U
My baby brother loves games AND he loves LEGO. There for a few years, I was like some kind of patron saint of Awesome to him.

... now, though, I doubt he'll care. Kinda hoping I can turn him on to (my) indie games as he gets older, if he still digs games in general :3:

For everyone else in my family, they're just happy for me. They care way more when I get a poem or article published. They are all authors ;)

EDIT: oh man, IGF main competition finalists are being announced January 10th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7FKaLYLOug

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 2, 2012

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Orzo posted:

Just say 'I'm the idea guy'

I detail the minutiae of game development so everyone falls asleep and I get more chocolate chip cookies.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Aliginge posted:

I had the cool career in my family but now my younger brother is the Art Director at a marketing firm, which impresses the older people more :( I need to become a Something Director. Maybe when we expand again. Hmmmm.

Still cooler with the nephews, though, but lately mainly just because I can bring iPads from the office with me on holidays. My daughter plays games but since she's 2 she doesn't quite grasp the concept that people actually make them.

Edit: My dad loves Naked Gun and my mum loves Merlin so writing those should have impressed them but I don't think it did.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
x

anime was right fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 18, 2017

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

You know, that sounds pithy and all but it's so true. It's like, "No" is an acceptable answer, just tell me so I know for sure.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

I feel like some mod is trolling me with the thread titles. Can I not post in this thread without the title getting changed?

Edit: Looks like it changed again

Orzo fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 3, 2012

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

First day back in the office after the jollies, and a dog-tired Aliginge churned out some loving awesome artworks in no time flat. It turns out he does his best work when he's exhausted. Tell me thread, should I exploit this?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Orzo posted:

I feel like some mod is trolling me with the thread titles. Can I not post in this thread without the title getting changed?

Edit: Looks like it changed again
If it isn't obvious, that is me changing it, and I just change it whenever someone posts something that would look funny out of context. It isn't an insult to whoever I quote, it is just a tiny gem of funny preserved for however long it takes someone else to say something funny. That is all.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Yeah, I figured so much when it changed yet again like 5 minutes after I posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So I'm currently taking a game design course at Norton College (This course), I'm in my second year after a train wreck of a first year, we spent half the year when we were supposed to be learning how to use software without the software installed due to numerous bullshit reasons from the IT guys. Just before Christmas our graphics design teacher left and was replaced by some guy who has the people/teaching skills of a particularly retarded rock and then later in the year our main tutor left for personal reasons (Got a much better job).

I managed to get through the first year with pretty decent grades but feel like I haven't really learnt anything from it other than dealing with a train wreck. In the second year we're finally learning how to use Maya (which only just got installed 2 months after the second year started and were supposed to learn it in our first year) and actually working on skills which will be useful.

However due to not really being taught (or even shown) much of anything during my first year I don't really know what parts of game design/development I'm good at or even like. Thanks to being so unsure at this I can't decide what University course to take or what skill set to specialize in and due to that I'm taking a gap year to work poo poo out.

So I was wondering if you could give me any advice on what the hell to do and how to work this poo poo out? My final major project is coming up and we're supposed to do something to tie in with what we want to specialize in.

As an addendum to all this I'm also mildly autistic and have ADHD which makes focusing on things I dislike or just aren't interested in complete hell.

Fake edit: Actually I do really enjoy working out game mechanics but don't really know what job that entails or how to even pursue it.