Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
We have been married for five years as fulltime students with fulltime jobs so we have the limited hang out time thing down. She understands that we will be moving around so really it is going to come down to how permanent of an engineer they are looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Wait, do you have a degree? You are making a huge mistake if you enlist as a nuke with a degree if there's any chance of qualifying for nuke officer. You'll make way less while in the military, get treated like poo poo, and make less in the civilian sector.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

I have a lovely BA that qualifies me to teach algebra to middle school kids. I spoke to an officer recruiter and he was not interested. Do I talk to someone else about nuke officer?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

He might not have been interested due to your GPA... or maybe they were full for the month/quarter/whatever they go by. I've had plenty of liberal arts nuke officers. My RTA was an english major.

ManMythLegend posted:

I have vigor about the topic because I have seen it before, and I am trying to look out for your future JO's, NCO's, and you believe it or not. At some point during your enlistment someone like you is going to sit up and think to themselves, "This is bullshit. I should be an officer..."

Maybe it will early on when you get ordered to go inside a tank full of literal poo poo to fix some 30+ year old valve, or maybe it will be a year in when you get ordered to fix a radar servo in 100o+ weather for the 15th time after the civilian contractors hosed it up again, or maybe it will be a little over half way through when your JO is on duty and randomly looks through a report you submitted, doesn't like the verbage, and calls you in on a Sunday afternoon to fix it immediately because it's "mission critical".

After that it goes one of two ways. You might simply phone it in until the end of your tour and are just dead weight to a shop that is probably already strapped for bodies given the drawdown. Or, you will start to think you are better then your NCO's and JO's because of your time in college and will just be a complete pain to deal with every day based on your attitude.

You owe it to yourself to at least try to get into a ROTC program or apply to a program like the Navy's BDCP. As has been said approximately 300 times in this thread, the military is not a solution to financial difficulties especially given how little you will actually be making as an E-2 or E-3, and is not for people who are looking for direction in life or something.

This should be on every page.

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 31, 2011

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Its the gpa that must be the problem then (2.75). I did really good on my oar I got a 54 if I recall correctly. The officer recruiter gave me his number and told me to put a package in after my first semester of nuke school. We will see though. I am just glad my wife can follow me.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Welp, that'll do it.

Yeah, your wife can follow you but she's basically slaving her career ambitions to yours for the short term.

What engineering related job was she offered around Goose Creek?

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

KetTarma posted:

Welp, that'll do it.

Yeah, your wife can follow you but she's basically slaving her career ambitions to yours for the short term.

What engineering related job was she offered around Goose Creek?

She has a phone interview for something related to civil engineering, maybe it was a process engineering job. She will be back from the barn in a bit and I will ask.

She wants to go back to California for her career but our state is so hosed that firms are still laying off engineers right now and it is looking like it will take at least a decade for things to turn around out here.

e:Its the entry level position for "interdisciplinary engineering". She says there are like 5 different fields and depending on which one she hopefully gets selected for she will be between gs9-gs11.

According to her the biggest deathblow my enlistment could do to her career would be sticking her in Japan for four years. Honestly though I helped her through her school a lot and I think she feels guilty, so she would not dream of saying no to me in anything I wanted to do.

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 1, 2012

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Are you volunteering for subs?

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

KetTarma posted:

Are you volunteering for subs?

No and if you are telling me right now that subs are the only thing that draws nukes there then I am about to smile.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

No, submarines are miserable. As a carrier nuke, you're limited to norfolk, san diego (only one carrier is there), japan (ditto), or bremerton, wa. Plan on norfolk because that's where the majority of nukes end up.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
can't be stationed in Japan on a submarine though

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cerekk posted:

can't be stationed in Japan on a submarine though

No but you can get Guam!

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Henry Meowlins posted:

No but you can get Guam!

Or Hawaii!

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Oh no, not a tropical paradise with no barriers to getting hired as an American citizen. Anything but that.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

KetTarma posted:

No, submarines are miserable. As a carrier nuke, you're limited to norfolk, san diego (only one carrier is there), japan (ditto), or bremerton, wa. Plan on norfolk because that's where the majority of nukes end up.

There are two in san diego

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Really? I was going by the last student orders report. It only listed the Vinson as homeported in San Dog

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

KetTarma posted:

Really? I was going by the last student orders report. It only listed the Vinson as homeported in San Dog

Current Homeports:

Norfolk: Enterprise (decom soon), Lincoln (soonish), Truman, Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Bush, Ford
Bremerton: Stennis
Everett: Nimitz (soonish)
San Diego: Vinson, Reagan (although I think Raegan has a Bremerton yard period somewhere in the not too distant future)
Japan: GW

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Holy Hell, my wife went on a forum for nuke wives and asked a question. All the nuke wives got excited about a newcomer posting there and invited her to get a verified forum account. So she linked her facebook, got approved and invited to facebook group that all the nuke wives bitch on about their husbands and the navy. Well half the group got pissed she was invited before I finished boot camp and is claiming my wife violated their "security clearance".

She woke me up this morning telling me that I was not kidding about these people. I now have no objection to her moving her horse out and spending as little time with these people as possible.

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 14, 2012

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

a navy wives club scared me because they were loving insane

Yup. Mine is leery of getting involved in any of that because its basically high school drama from people that are too old for that.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I ran into this married 19 year old A1C last week whose wife is going to "a long tech school at Goose Creek & is in the navy", so I presume it's nuke school. This genius figured that it would be a better idea to live in Goose Creek and commute to Shaw AFB in Sumter every day. 200 miles, 5 days a week. He even said it isn't as bad on gas as you'd think.

Not like those navy spouses you just mentioned, but still just as crazy/retarded.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

KetTarma posted:

Yup. Mine is leery of getting involved in any of that because its basically high school drama from people that are too old for that.

The kicker: It was the mothers of nukes that created the most drama.

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
Aaaaaand finals are done. Comp on Tuesday.....thank god.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2012/02/ap-goose-creek-nuclear-school-plans-expansion-021612/

quote:

GOOSE CREEK, S.C. — The nuclear power training school at the Naval Weapons Station in Goose Creek is expanding.

The Post and Courier of Charleston reported the school will expand to handle twice as many students each year. The new operation will also have more modern nuclear reactors and improved security.

The facility is one of two Navy nuclear power training schools. The other is in Milton, N.Y.

Each school trains 1,200 students annually. Plans call for Charleston to handle 1,800 students each year by 2022. It also would handle 2,800 students while the New York school is refueled.

Plans call for the replacement of two 1960s-era submarines at Goose Creek with two 1970s-era subs.

Will better manning and training equipment fix a lot of the issues with the nuke program?

When I read this article the first time I could not believe that they are using 70's technology as a training device.

camino
Feb 23, 2006
Most of the fleet is 70's - 80's technology. Thing about it is, when it breaks in the middle of nowhere you have a chance to fix it without having to carry a semiconductor lab on board.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2012/02/ap-goose-creek-nuclear-school-plans-expansion-021612/

Will better manning and training equipment fix a lot of the issues with the nuke program?

When I read this article the first time I could not believe that they are using 70's technology as a training device.

There are as many as a thousand students on hold waiting for prototype class openings at any given time. I can't talk about "training improvements" but we're not getting any manning changes. Forcibly staying at optimal manning by making prototype duty mandatory following your first sea tour, however...

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
Hehehe, now that I am done with Power School (and sweet bonus!) it's hilarious to me that the Grad Hold pool is so big. 300+ the last I heard, and there are still people that graduated in December who have no clue when they are going to Prototype.

Not UNIX
Mar 29, 2005
It was stupid speculation when the WSJ reported it, and it's stupid speculation now. It's never going to happen.

itsrobbiej posted:

Hehehe, now that I am done with Power School (and sweet bonus!) it's hilarious to me that the Grad Hold pool is so big. 300+ the last I heard, and there are still people that graduated in December who have no clue when they are going to Prototype.
I graduated in October and I'm praying that I make the next list.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I love 12 hour lockshift for no reason whatsoever.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Not UNIX posted:

I graduated in October and I'm praying that I make the next list.

Why? Enjoy literally the best time youll ever have in the navy

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Sounds like they're going to convert a pair of Los Angeles-class boats.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Mad Dragon posted:

Sounds like they're going to convert a pair of Los Angeles-class boats.

Yeah, they are planning on retrofitting a couple 688is.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

camino posted:

Most of the fleet is 70's - 80's technology. Thing about it is, when it breaks in the middle of nowhere you have a chance to fix it without having to carry a semiconductor lab on board.

I guess I was picturing that a device responsible for containing fission would have a shorter life than a combustion engine. v:downs:v

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

I guess I was picturing that a device responsible for containing fission would have a shorter life than a combustion engine. v:downs:v

Ha! Obviously you are not familiar with Naval Engineering. poo poo is built to keep on keeping on at exactly the same level of adequate design forever. Adequacy is our watchword.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Nuclear reactors are one of the sturdiest things humanity has developed. I would say that any American reactor could operate much longer than your expected lifespan if the operator decided to continually refuel it.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Im (hopefully) standing my last navy nuclear watch tomorrow. I'm excited :science:

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

KetTarma posted:

Im (hopefully) standing my last navy nuclear watch tomorrow. I'm excited :science:

"The Navy was a drill, secure from drill"?

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

KetTarma posted:

I still remember standing SRO as my last navy watch. I wasn't supposed to stand that watch but they gave me my TLD back at the last possible second, damned Navy.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

belt posted:

I still remember standing SRO as my last navy watch. I wasn't supposed to stand that watch but they gave me my TLD back at the last possible second, damned Navy.

I was no long allowed to carry a gun during my last SRW lol

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

They let roving watches carry guns? The most we had when I was still in was a lovely wooden baton, later replaced with an ASP. Considering we had zero training on either, they would be pretty much useless if we ever had to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Mad Dragon posted:

They let roving watches carry guns? The most we had when I was still in was a lovely wooden baton, later replaced with an ASP. Considering we had zero training on either, they would be pretty much useless if we ever had to use them.

Yeah, can't remember the particular reason why but we started a few months after I got there we did and even carried them in home port. Just SRWs though, not any other nuke watches

• Locked thread