Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Brooker's new hair actually quite suits him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Sherlock followed by Hacks on C4, my evening is pretty much filled up then.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Crankit posted:

However, I don't get any adverts on 4oD at all, I'm using firefox and adblock though, everyone I've heard complain about those adverts has been using chrome, can I ask if that's the case for you too?
Im talking about the commercial breaks, not pop-ups or anything. Im on latest firefox but after a check i dont have adblock in yet, this is a new install. I'll stick it in and give it a try, im dubious as to whether it it do anything, how do it know?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Crankit posted:

Black Mirror, I felt that the first was OK, but the second one I didn't like, it felt like a joke played against the viewers, answering the unasked question of "What if The Matrix were British, and by extension a little bit poo poo".
What the gently caress? Explain.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You think they laid on the Melodrama thick enough with Eastenders?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Graviton v2 posted:

Im talking about the commercial breaks, not pop-ups or anything. Im on latest firefox but after a check i dont have adblock in yet, this is a new install. I'll stick it in and give it a try, im dubious as to whether it it do anything, how do it know?
I don't get any commercial breaks on 4oD, so presumably it streams them from another server which adblock knows about?

Akuma posted:

What the gently caress? Explain.

I may have missed something on black mirror, I freely admit I didn't give it 100% of my attention, but it seemed to be a society existing in some kind of computer controlled reality, and everyone was cycling to power the thing, he tries to escape but ends up in a higher resolution computer room.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Crankit posted:

I don't get any commercial breaks on 4oD, so presumably it streams them from another server which adblock knows about?

I may have missed something on black mirror, I freely admit I didn't give it 100% of my attention, but it seemed to be a society existing in some kind of computer controlled reality, and everyone was cycling to power the thing, he tries to escape but ends up in a higher resolution computer room.

You missed something.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
RIP Pat.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ben Soosneb posted:

RIP Pat.

They killed Pat?!

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

ConanThe3rd posted:

You think they laid on the Melodrama thick enough with Eastenders?

At least they didn't have a CGI ghost Frank and Pat (with Roy and Barry) looking down on Walford. Buy the car lot? you will die.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

marktheando posted:

You missed something.

Oh cool, what did I miss?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

They're not in a computer simulation, it's just a lovely world where they perform meaningless tasks to earn bullshit currency to fritter away on poo poo they don't need.

OH WAIT.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Crankit posted:

It wasn't a Matrix style virtual world, the whole thing was set in the real world.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Crankit posted:

The entire point.

Go back and watch it again.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
This "Hacks" could be pretty good.

COMEDY: Hacks
On: Channel 4 (4)
Date: Sunday 1st January 2012
Time: 22:00 to 23:05

Channel 4's first phone hacking comedy. Written by Drop the Dead Donkey and Outnumbered writer Guy Jenkin, Hacks takes a satirical swipe at the recent momentous events surrounding the British newspaper industry. Set in a fictional paper the drive to get the story is intense - the phrase 'by any means necessary' doesn't even cover it. Phone hacking, blagging, pinging... the staff here do it all. But it's all about to unravel and in a big way... Editor Kate Loy doesn't take any prisoners and the proprietor of the tabloid she runs, Stanhope Feast demands she always gets the biggest stories first. But her moral compass went awry a long time ago - something that's about to cause her major problems. As the scandal breaks and the net closes in on her, things get funnier for the viewer as things go from bad to worse for the characters. The stellar cast includes Kayvan Novak, Nigel Planer, Phil Davis, Alexander Armstrong, Gordon Kennedy, Russ Abbott and Celia Imrie.

It could also be unrelentingly poo poo like that poor mans People Like Us about the Olympics. But i'll guess we'll see.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
BYE THEN PAT!

Does this mean David is back?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Sherlock, was just perfect. Honestly can't think of a way they could of made it better.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Crankit posted:

Just tested it, it knew, thanks dude!

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Akuma posted:

They're not in a computer simulation, it's just a lovely world where they perform meaningless tasks to earn bullshit currency to fritter away on poo poo they don't need.

OH WAIT.

I didn't mean they were avatars, but they are confined to rooms, they can't go outside and play with cats, dogs, rivers or trees. That is what I meant by the poo poo matrix, essentially an upgraded set of VR goggles. If you're looking for an overall moral, I think it's actually about the exploitative nature of talent shows.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

ukle posted:

Sherlock, was just perfect. Honestly can't think of a way they could of made it better.

Seconding that, really incredible bit of TV, kept making me think it could go the other way. Some really nice devices as well like the planes full of cadavers to fool terrorists. Really nicely shot as well.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

DaWolfey posted:

This "Hacks" could be pretty good.

COMEDY: Hacks
On: Channel 4 (4)
Date: Sunday 1st January 2012
Time: 22:00 to 23:05

Channel 4's first phone hacking comedy. Written by Drop the Dead Donkey and Outnumbered writer Guy Jenkin, Hacks takes a satirical swipe at the recent momentous events surrounding the British newspaper industry. Set in a fictional paper the drive to get the story is intense - the phrase 'by any means necessary' doesn't even cover it. Phone hacking, blagging, pinging... the staff here do it all. But it's all about to unravel and in a big way... Editor Kate Loy doesn't take any prisoners and the proprietor of the tabloid she runs, Stanhope Feast demands she always gets the biggest stories first. But her moral compass went awry a long time ago - something that's about to cause her major problems. As the scandal breaks and the net closes in on her, things get funnier for the viewer as things go from bad to worse for the characters. The stellar cast includes Kayvan Novak, Nigel Planer, Phil Davis, Alexander Armstrong, Gordon Kennedy, Russ Abbott and Celia Imrie.

It could also be unrelentingly poo poo like that poor mans People Like Us about the Olympics. But i'll guess we'll see.

The only way this could live up to the actual Leveson inquiry is if they produce a massive ball of Brass Eye-style insanity and is then revealed to have actually been a documentary.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I like Doug Stanhope :(

Sucks that he's a Libertarian, though.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

There are two types of women in Moffat's Sherlock: the cunning Irene Adler, and the regular, pathetic, unremarkable female that exists only for Sherlock Holmes to belittle.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Quanta posted:

There are two types of women in Moffat's Sherlock: the cunning Irene Adler, and the regular, pathetic, unremarkable female that exists only for Sherlock Holmes to belittle.

Moffat has some issues about women.

Moffat posted:

There’s this issue you’re not allowed to discuss: that women are needy. Men can go for longer, more happily, without women. That’s the truth. We don’t, as little boys, play at being married - we try to avoid it for as long as possible. Meanwhile women are out there hunting for husbands. The world is vastly counted in favour of men at every level - except if you live in a civilised country and you’re sort of educated and middle-class, because then you’re almost certainly junior in your relationship and in a state of permanent, crippled apology. Your preferences are routinely mocked. There’s a huge, unfortunate lack of respect for anything male.

He's an excellent writer and I've really enjoyed a lot of his stuff but this attitude does show up in most of his work that I've seen.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

marktheando posted:

He's an excellent writer and I've really enjoyed a lot of his stuff but this attitude does show up in most of his work that I've seen.

With that sort of attitude he may very well end up writing for Midsomer Murders.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

marktheando posted:

I'm not surprised at a quote like that when the sexism in Sherlock is so obvious, but it's no big loss for me. I don't like Doctor Who at all and his reimagining of Jekyll was a massive piece of poo poo.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Quanta posted:

How many men does Sherlock not belittle?

Are the women regular and unremarkable, or pathetic?

Is there any specific reason you decided to bring this up?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Tempo 119 posted:

How many men does Sherlock not belittle?

Are the women regular and unremarkable, or pathetic?

This is kinda my attitude towards it as well except I'm not an unsympathetic dick about it - the problem seems to be more that every Sherlocky-type on telly is a man. Although it was a battle of emotions which Sherlock just won, it's a bit boring to see yet another "woman humbled by emotion" plot, even if it was very well done and was kinda alright on its own - it would be fine if it was in isolation, but it's not. Equally, apart from Mrs. Hudson this is the first strong woman character I can think of that's been in Sherlock (though I might be being forgetful) and Mrs. Hudson's a fairly "traditional" woman character (though that obviously can't really be helped.)

I'm sure people would be much more inclined to over look it if Dr. Who regenerated as a woman next time...

e: There's also the problem that every time you think of something and go "hmm, is that portrayal of a woman sexist?" that awful Moffat quote from earlier rings in your ears and you find it hard to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 2, 2012

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Hacks was crap.

Barely even satire really, just taking an obvious and low effort path through the events that occurred, culminating in a speech by Not Rupert that went no deeper than "I gave you what you wanted, the public - this is your fault."

Let a talented bunch of writers have a go at it, and maybe it could be worked into something worthwhile.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

DaWolfey posted:

Hacks was crap.

Barely even satire really, just taking an obvious and low effort path through the events that occurred, culminating in a speech by Not Rupert that went no deeper than "I gave you what you wanted, the public - this is your fault."

Let a talented bunch of writers have a go at it, and maybe it could be worked into something worthwhile.

Yeah it was a shame, I assumed it was going to be worth watching. There were some decent laughs though considering and Kayvan Novak was pretty good.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Tempo 119 posted:

This thread is for discussing things you did or didn't like about a programme you just watched.

Moffat's "belittling" of men is noticeably different to his belittling of women in the show. Holmes disparages most male characters by labelling them as stupid or clumsy, but his remarks towards women almost always involve comments about their looks, their desperation for a man or their adulterous behaviour. If I recall from the first episode of the last series, Holmes's first deduction in the murder case was that a female member of police had just given a colleague a blowjob.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

sebzilla posted:

I like Doug Stanhope :(

Sucks that he's a Libertarian, though.

I liked his first bits on Newswipe or Screenwipe or whatever when I first saw them, and 'liked' his page on Facebook as a result.

I very quickly unliked it, because almost everything he said on it was loving terrible.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Tempo 119 posted:

4od is completely infuriating, the only good thing about it is that you don't have to use it because everything's mirrored on Youtube.

I thought the new Xbox 4OD app was ok until one of the triggers accidentally got pressed when i put the controller down.

It caused the episode to skip to the end and then forcefully eject me from the video. The when I opened it up again, it forced me to sit through the loving extended love film ad again before making me have to manually track back to where I was.

3 minutes or so, all because one button was accidentally pushed.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I love the fact that Channel 4 are actually trying to get political satire and comedy on our TV screes but I just wish they would hurry up and start doing it well.

I think theres one really easy way to get that happening sooner rather than later; get Mark Thomas back on board. Give him a TV show and just let him do his thing.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

I was SO sure that Sherlock was going to involve Irene being in a relationship with a female royal and attempting to protect that relationship (which was more or less what happened in the Doyle story) - sort of let down that they didn't go that way, as a femme fatale falling for her target is pretty boring. She was great in the books because, while her goal was to get her man, that man WASN'T Holmes and never was.

I'm just mad that Jeremy Brett hasn't played Sherlock in everything.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

The only bit I didn't like in Sherlock was the very end. I would have liked if they had stuck more to the Irene that Doyle created, rather than "the woman that almost beat Sherlock Holmes, but then needed rescuing by him".

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

I thought the ending to Sherlock was terrible tbh. Also wasn't it inferred numerous times in the first series that Sherlock is gay?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Metrication posted:

I thought the ending to Sherlock was terrible tbh. Also wasn't it inferred numerous times in the first series that Sherlock is gay?
nope, if anything it was implied he was asexual

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

nope, if anything it was implied he was asexual

Oh :smith:

How similar is this to Sherlock in the novels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Metrication posted:

Oh :smith:

How similar is this to Sherlock in the novels?

It's pretty difficult to get a hard-on when you're coked out of your head.