Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Mr Crustacean posted:

Literal ravens.
Also :(

I don't think so.

It's the line where ten ravens raked down her face? That's her clawing at her own face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Capsaicin posted:

I don't think so.

It's the line where ten ravens raked down her face? That's her clawing at her own face.

Youre right. I read it again with that in mind and it read much more naturally. The mothers madness that she was always accused of having finally struck her..

Thank you :]

[edit] gently caress me this book is fantastic. JOFFREYS DEAD!

Veg fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 26, 2011

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Veg posted:

Youre right. I read it again with that in mind and it read much more naturally. The mothers madness that she was always accused of having finally struck her..

Thank you :]

[edit] gently caress me this book is fantastic. JOFFREYS DEAD!

Enjoy it, it's all downhill from here.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Hey, I just finished SoS two nights ago and I had a question:

If Lysa was the one to poison Jon for Littlefinger, why were Cersei and Jamie so concerned with it?

Now, I don't want a complete answer honestly, but I just want to know if this is explained/answered. If it is in books 4 or 5, I'd just like a "Yep, it's answered" response. If I'm dumb and missed something completely in the first 3 that explains this, please do call me dumb.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GonSmithe posted:

Hey, I just finished SoS two nights ago and I had a question:

If Lysa was the one to poison Jon for Littlefinger, why were Cersei and Jamie so concerned with it?

Now, I don't want a complete answer honestly, but I just want to know if this is explained/answered. If it is in books 4 or 5, I'd just like a "Yep, it's answered" response. If I'm dumb and missed something completely in the first 3 that explains this, please do call me dumb.

Jon was still looking into the whole incest thing so I imagine they're at least worried that he told someone before he died.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
I watched the first season of the HBO series and I really enjoyed it.

Would I be missing out on a lot by starting on the second book or should I start on the first?

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

supersteve posted:

Would I be missing out on a lot by starting on the second book or should I start on the first?

Start with the first. The show stays faithful for the most part, but the book expands a lot on the whole universe and there are characters and incidents that have been edited and cut. It is not essential, but it will further your enjoyment of it, and it will make a second watch of the TV show even better now that you a have a better understanding of who the minor characters are.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

supersteve posted:

You miss out on the beginnings of book twos major story.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
The first it is, then. Thanks!

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

supersteve posted:

However faithful they may be, watching a tv series or movie is usually not a good replacement for actually reading the book that it is based on. I don't remember all of the differences between the book and show (nor will I mention them in this thread), but they are there. Most notably I think the order of some of the chapters got flipped around, but that's not terribly important. It's a good read either way, so you may as well read it.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

I finished A Storm Of Swords 2. Dat ending.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
GRRM just announced a new chapter from Winds of Winter was just put up on his website. Since I haven't started Feast For Crows yet, I won't be looking but I hope its good.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Gimmedaroot posted:

GRRM just announced a new chapter from Winds of Winter was just put up on his website. Since I haven't started Feast For Crows yet, I won't be looking but I hope its good.

http://georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html

Here it is. BOOK 6 SPOILERS, if I actually need to say that.
This website was designed in a far away time when Gurm's heart valves worked properly.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Veg posted:

Im about 150 pages into SOS part 2.

I feel sick. Robb, Caitlyn and Arya all dead? Jesus gently caress gently caress. One thing confused me, the paragraph where GRRM said ravens were picking at her face? Actual ravens or a weird way to say she was being shot in the face by more arrows?

Ha, I had that one accidentally spoilt for me by my mum. I felt terrible for hours even before I read it.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Octy posted:

Ha, I had that one accidentally spoilt for me by my mum. I felt terrible for hours even before I read it.

It's like watching a baseball game and rooting for your home team, and then someone on the opposing team fires an RPG into your home team's dugout.

Niccy Bones
Mar 27, 2011

Conduit for Sale! posted:

and then someone on the opposing team fires an RPG into your home team's dugout.

And you knew about it in advance but you couldn't tell anyone about it and you just had to suffer in silence but also not worry anyone either!

Wizard of Wang
Aug 8, 2004
Just finished Storm of Swords last night and started Feast for Crows I had a friend tell me that (very minor spoilerish) Feast for Crows has less action and more political conflicts than the previous books, is this true?

Wait, I'm confused. SOS comes in two books? The one I read had 1100+ pages and ended with (major spoiler) an Epilogue of Catelyn seemingly raised by the Red Priest condemning some random Frey to hang, also the regular book ended with Petyr Baelish pushing Lysa out of the moon door. Am I missing any story? I don't think I could take it if Arya was killed, I remember reading her getting knocked out with the axe and for a second I was scared the Hound had killed her and actually spent the next few minutes flipping through the book until I found another Arya chapter.

Wizard of Wang fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 29, 2011

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Wizard of Wang posted:

Just finished Storm of Swords last night and started Feast for Crows I had a friend tell me that (very minor spoilerish) Feast for Crows has less action and more political conflicts than the previous books, is this true?

Oh good lord yes.

Wizard of Wang
Aug 8, 2004
These are the types of books I'll pick up only intending to read a few chapters in the morning, and then burn through a few hundred pages until I wonder why its getting dark outside.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Wizard of Wang posted:

Wait, I'm confused. SOS comes in two books? The one I read had 1100+ pages and ended with (major spoiler) an Epilogue of Catelyn seemingly raised by the Red Priest condemning some random Frey to hang, also the regular book ended with Petyr Baelish pushing Lysa out of the moon door. Am I missing any story?
No, you read the entire thing.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Wizard of Wang posted:

Wait, I'm confused. SOS comes in two books? The one I read had 1100+ pages and ended with (major spoiler) an Epilogue of Catelyn seemingly raised by the Red Priest condemning some random Frey to hang, also the regular book ended with Petyr Baelish pushing Lysa out of the moon door. Am I missing any story? I don't think I could take it if Arya was killed, I remember reading her getting knocked out with the axe and for a second I was scared the Hound had killed her and actually spent the next few minutes flipping through the book until I found another Arya chapter.

#1 - This is true. The book gets better on rereads but can be a bit dry your first time through after the balls-to-the-wall aSoS

#2 - some Euro countries split aSoS into 2 books due to the size.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I don't know if it's just me hoping for a good turn or my man-love for Stannis but that sample chapter is loving awesome.

PonchtheJedi
Feb 20, 2004

Still got some work to do...
Currently reading A Feast for Crows, and I hate to dogpile it, but holy cow it's a slog for me.

Little parts of the ironborn chapters are kind of neat, mainly in how crazy Victarion is. I'm tired of Cersei, I feel like her chapters are mostly her sitting around thinking mean thoughts. It's boring. The Arya chapters are pretty neat, but there don't seem to be many of them. Jaime chapters are good, Brienne are pretty good.

It's even worse after Christmas, because I got a big stack of books that I really want to read, so I keep having to drag myself back to FfC.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

PonchtheJedi posted:

Currently reading A Feast for Crows, and I hate to dogpile it, but holy cow it's a slog for me.

Little parts of the ironborn chapters are kind of neat, mainly in how crazy Victarion is. I'm tired of Cersei, I feel like her chapters are mostly her sitting around thinking mean thoughts. It's boring. The Arya chapters are pretty neat, but there don't seem to be many of them. Jaime chapters are good, Brienne are pretty good.

It's even worse after Christmas, because I got a big stack of books that I really want to read, so I keep having to drag myself back to FfC.

Yeah the book is pretty boring but at least it's pretty short compared to the others. Good news though, if you like Brienne's chapters then the book couldn't be that bad for you. I seriously don't think I've ever read more annoying/boring parts of a book then those.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I know I'm in the minority here but I'm about 40% of the way through A Feast for Crows and actually enjoying it a ton. It doesn't hold a candle to the last 1/4 of Storm of Swords but I like the change of pace and find the settings to be a nice sort of palate cleanser for the series. Whereas almost every book prior has been pretty firmly set in the center and north of Westeros (or Free Cities/Gheskari Empire of Essos where Daenerys is concerned), the fleshing out of the Iron Islands and Dorne have been enjoyable to me. You get a chance to learn more about two kingdoms that you've always known have been heavily involved in the history of the continent but for whatever reason have not been treated centrally in the first three books. These two kingdoms are also coincidentally two that are far and away the most different in culture from the rest of the empire, at least to my knowledge, so it's nice in that it deepens the world a bit more.

Of course, all of this is being said not even halfway through the book yet and I am still anticipating that some poo poo will be hitting some fans before I'm finished so maybe that suspense is part of it. I hope I'm not disappointed :ohdear:

Edit: Is there any significance to the Bear and the Maiden Fair song or is it just one of those annoying recurring things a la lemoncakes. In the last 2 books it's popped up something like 5 times.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 30, 2011

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The bear and the maiden fair is like the only re-curring thing in the book that I still love. Just for being so ridiculous. Maybe it's foreshadowing for Jorah Mormont or something.

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore
I gorged through the first four books in about a month and now I have to buy ADWD. These books are simply amazing. The longest book to get through, for me, was A Feast For Crows, but I thought the end made up for it. Can't wait to jump back into Westeros!

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
How long is DWD compared to SOS? I know FFC was short as gently caress (larger text + bigger spacing), but it's hard to compare the hardcover DwD length with my paperback SoS copy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trico posted:

How long is DWD compared to SOS? I know FFC was short as gently caress (larger text + bigger spacing), but it's hard to compare the hardcover DwD length with my paperback SoS copy.

They're about the same length. 973 for the US hardback of SoS and 1040 pages for the US hardback of DwD.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

According to some random website found through Google, ASoS was 2k words longer than ADWD, which is like maybe 5 pages.

However, the audiobook of ADWD is apparently an hour longer than ASOS. Could just be an hour of the narrator describing Dany making GBS threads water, though.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
I just noticed that the names of almost half of all the POV characters in AFFC start with the same letter...

Aeron
Areo
Arianne
Arya
Arys
Asha

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
I'm new to fantasy fiction but I've run through all of ASoIaF books through early DwD. I've got a few pronunciation questions. Here's how I read these names:

Taena Merriweather as "tay-na"

House Yronwood as "ron-wood" The Y has gotta be silent, right?

Illyrio Mopatis as "ill-Erie-o Mo-Pa-tees"

I'm curious as to how they're pronounced on the audiobooks.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Flew through the first book last week on vacation, about halfway through the aCoK. I'm used to reading stuff like the Wheel of Time where there is a set number of protagonists to root for, but I'm not sure how to feel about this series because I have a bad feeling that everyone I like will end up dead, given what has happened so far. I'm just going to root for Daenerys, because dragons own. . Oh and Jon. I like him.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

The Piper posted:

Agreed on the first one. I read the second as Ironwood, and the third as Mop-Ate-Iss.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

The Piper posted:

I'm new to fantasy fiction but I've run through all of ASoIaF books through early DwD. I've got a few pronunciation questions. Here's how I read these names:

I'm curious as to how they're pronounced on the audiobooks.

I say Yronwood = Ironwood and Mopatis = Mo-pa-tiss. Also: don't trust the audiobooks; they're often grievously wrong. For example, Dotrice seems to want to pronounce every single Y as a long I sound, even in places where it's clearly just Martin's attempt at an apocryphal spelling of a modern name -- like with Petyr, which he pronounces puh-tire.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Just pronounce it whatever way you want to pronounce it. For a large part your choices will be influenced by your native language anyway.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I have a situation here. I'm a very, very slow reader but can generally get through most books. I made the mistake of watching Game of Thrones before finishing the first book. I really want to finish it, but I just can't stay involved now that I know the plot points. Would it be really stupid to jump into ACOK now?

afgrunden
Jul 21, 2011

Glad this thread exists, I'm currently reading ASOS and I keep accidentally spoiling myself whenever I look up anything about any character on the Wiki of Ice and Fire :doh: Also just want to say that I love Arya and I hope she lives forever.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have a situation here. I'm a very, very slow reader but can generally get through most books. I made the mistake of watching Game of Thrones before finishing the first book. I really want to finish it, but I just can't stay involved now that I know the plot points. Would it be really stupid to jump into ACOK now?

I had the same problem as you and jumped straight to ACOK with no problems. I had to look a few things up that I'd forgotten or weren't made clear in the show but it was fine. At least I think so!

afgrunden fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 4, 2012

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

If you really want to you can start with ACoK pretty easily. It has been mentioned before, though, that there are some things that weren't explained in the series (yet) that will already be important in ACoK. But, being aware of that, I guess it's easy enough to read up on things that don't seem to connect when you start reading ACoK.

I'm a pretty slow reader as well and I read AGoT after seeing the TV series. For me it was fine and I actually got through it rather quickly because I knew the plot point. Yes, at some points I felt like just moving to ACoK but for me, personally, it was worth reading AGoT and then moving on to ACoK. In a way, it's easier to become acquainted with GRRM's writing style by reading something where you already know more or less what'll happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

BjornOfBorg posted:

In a way, it's easier to become acquainted with GRRM's writing style by reading something where you already know more or less what'll happen.

Bingo. You can picture the world youve seen in the show and associate the odd names he chooses for some things.

• Locked thread